Cover Image: Loki and Sigyn

Loki and Sigyn

(4.5)

I have always loved mythology as a kid and nothing has changed over the years. This book is absolutely phenomenal. You learn about Loki and his role in the lore, his relationship with the heathen community, and how it is to work with Loki on a very close level. Before this, I have never paid Sigyn much attention. I knew who she was but now I can't wait to get to know her more.
There is so much to share about what I loved about this book. The sweet intro and forward from another favorite author, Mortellus, the inclusion of “thoughts and feelings of those who dislike and avoid Loki” as valid as those who embrace Him, and the heavy dose of salt given to lore as it is written by Christians with a very different view of the world than Polytheists, and so so much more.

Lea Svendsen shares her beautiful devotion with a heavy dose of humor, which I would expect from a Loki devotee, to be fair. I wrote down several quotes that I loved including:
“reading the lore is best done without our own perceptions of what constitutes ‘good behavior'” and “All Hail the Scarder of Other People’s Food!”
Then there are the sections after each lore-based story asking “Did we Learn Our Lesson?” It made me smile each time I got to that section. I just loved it.

Then there are the basics that are needed and so well written (along with fantastic footnotes and bibliography – my poor book budget). The 3rd part of the book is a great Heathenry 101 lesson grounded in devotion (as Heathenry should be) and later some rituals for solo and groups that are fantastic whether new or well versed. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Heathenry and wanting to know what this path is all about as it is so well rounded.

I also learned a lot about Loki and Sigyn despite thinking that this book would rehash things I already knew. The etymology of the names was wonderful and the connection of Loki to the figure of the Ash Lad was eye-opening for me. Svendsen may have also made me change my mind about the Marvel movies (which to this point I disdained)…maybe…

This book is gorgeous and I cannot wait to add a physical copy to my library.
Hail Loki! Hail Sigyn!
May Your names ever be praised!
Interesting enough read. Gives you a lot of insight on the two. Definitely worth checking out.
I don't really know how to review this.
*Thank you to NetGalley and Llewellyn Publications for providing me with this Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) in exchange for an honest review!*

Sum it Up:
Loki and Sigyn by Lea Svendsen explores the historical, cultural, and devotional aspects of Norse god Loki and his lesser-known wife Sigyn. While Svendsen shares personal anecdotes along the way she does an excellent job of presenting thorough, detailed, and diligent research to paint a well-rounded picture of myth and modern practice. Svendsen is a charming and entertaining writer, effortlessly weaving her passion and knowledge together in a way that makes you feel like you’re sitting with her by the fire, soaking up the magic and mystery of Norse heathenry. I rated this read 5 stars for quality of research, storytelling, and entertainment as well as overall enjoyment!

Why It Stands Out:
A common pitfall in modern spiritual, new age, and witchcraft books is the tendency for authors to wax poetic on personal anecdotes rather than supporting their work through academic research or historical references. While this style can work well for some topics, it can also degrade the value of the information as a resource for learning and personal or professional development. Svendsen incorporates her professional knowledge of funerary arts and  her experiences with heathenry and learned family traditions while creating a solid foundation of historical and cultural research about heathenry, Loki and the lesser-known Sigyn. She also provides a glossary, a guide for further reading and a bibliography to cite her various sources. Overall, this felt like an extremely comprehensive collection of stories, knowledge, and history, woven together with care and consideration for both author and reader.

Things I Liked:
Svendsen creates a beautiful introduction where she shares her call and response with The Clever One that inspired the creation of this book. I would definitely recommend reading the whole book cover to cover, just so you don’t miss beautiful moments like this! Svendsen does a wonderful job of exploring and explaining entomology and it’s importance in understanding myths, relationships, and modern interpretations. As a fan of dissecting rhetoric, this really appealed to me and strengthened my respect for her overall knowledge! She does a great job of breaking down words, traditions, and comparing the aspects of Abrahamic stories and traditions we see in the Bible vs those found in Norse Heathenry.

Svendsen has several wonderful quotes throughout the text, and these are some of my favorites:

“The best way to approach the myths is to recognize them as a product of their time and their people.”

“Sigyn is the quiet comfort and compassionate heart taking care of those impacted by the forces of change.”

“Loki is a force for change. He is the fire that burns away stagnation so that we can grow.”

What Could Be Stronger:
The only recommendation I could make to improve the flow of this book is adjusting the order and incorporation of Chapter 4: Lessons on the Syllabus. When reading, this chapter stood out in a way that felt like it interrupted the flow between Chapters Three: Living Heathen and Five: Attributes for Devotional Practice. Since the information in Chapter Four is still relevant and supportive, I would suggest moving it after Chapter Six: Rituals and Celebrations  or combining it with Chapter Seven: Final Thoughts to strengthen the overall flow of the text!

Who Should Read This:
Fans of Loki or those curious to learn more about him, People who enjoyed Norse Mythology or American Gods by Neil Gaiman, folks interested in the practice or history of Heathenry

View the published review here: https://twinarchertarot.com/blog/review-loki-and-sigyn-by-lea-svendsen
This book is a good for those starting off in their journey regarding Heathen-ry and related paths, however, I would not say it is the best book as the first encounter with these subjects. The subject matter starts off by suggesting that there is at least a basic understanding of Loki and Sigyn regardless of the accuracy or bias towards these deities. Other than this the material covered was interesting and well researched and explained. I liked the practical workings towards the end. I look forward to seeing the final art that will be placed within the book.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is such a fun book to read. First, the writing style is absolutely lovely. It’s more conversation than schooling along with affectionate teasing of someone who’s been working with the Norse gods for a while.

There was a ton of Loki information which makes sense since the author does say that information on Sigyn is difficult to find.

The author has a background in Heathenry, then Christianity, then back to Heathenry. I haven’t seen a lot of that and it was refreshing as hell. It’s usually writers who originally came from Christianity and a lot of their views are still evident. This means there is NO WICCA!!! That was really refreshing as well.

This is definitely more of a history book more than spell book. The spells and small rituals do happen, but there are more toward the end of the book when you already have a basis in Loki and Sigyn’s history. Sometimes, beginner books throw in rituals too fast, but this one didn’t.

While I was reading, it reminded me of Courtney Weber’s “Hekate.” I love this genre of books where there’s an intense historical and present look at deity worship and focusing on one specific deity per book.
It's nice to see a book written about Loki (and Sigyn of course) that depicts him in better light than most texts. He often is one of the misunderstood ones, which I think makes him even more interesting to learn about. Lea goes through many aspects of his story, background, etymology, family etc. There is also many things you can learn about Sigyn, a goddess that I definitely wanted to get more familiar with. Leas style of writing is easily approachable, so this book makes a lovely introduction to the subject.

Thank you to NetGalley and the Author for providing this ARC!
This is a unique effort. The author refers to the book as a devotional and clearly has a close relationship with these entities. Loki is presented in a positive light and Sigyn, who is much lesser known and therefore harder to research, is brought into the light.

The research in this is very good and the authors reverence for these Norse gods comes through very clearly. While I've never been overly attracted to the Norse pantheon personally, I do have an interest in trickster figures and thus the nature of Loki has been a fascination for many years.

Loki often gets a bad rap, but this book delves into the deeper nature of this entity and brings understanding of his place in both the Norse pantheon and the catalogue of Trickster gods from all cultures.

Highly recommended for anyone with a scrap of interest in Loki or in the Norse pantheon, as the information on Sigyn is rare to come by as well.
Loki is a god that people love to hate. Sigyn is his often misunderstood wife who stands with him, holding a bowl so that poison snake venom doesn't fall in his eyes for all eternity. Whether you're looking for more information on Loki himself, or exploring the innerworkings of Norse Paganism, the new book by Lea Svendsen is a phenomenal place to start (or honestly, end up). Svendsen's family come from a long line of Heathens known for following "the twerp" in Svendsen's words. While only in the past decade or so have major Heathen practices opened their arms to this trickster god, it wasn't always a welcome thing to follow Loki. Loki and Sigyn looks at the worship of two very different figures in Norse mythos, and how they work together as a couple that few would expect.

Svendsen is funny, informative, and honestly someone I'd love to share a mead horn with.  I found the discussions in this book about community politics and her personal relationship to both Sigyn and Loki fascinating. Her reading is easy to follow and makes it easy to see the otherside of the oft maligned Loki.

If you're a new Heathen, or just wanting to know more about Loki or Sigyn, this is the perfect book to snag.
This is a wonderful resource for beginners! It can be hard to find writings with a positive bias towards Loki and this is the positive resource researchers need!