Cover Image: Captive of a Commoner

Captive of a Commoner

This book was really good and gritty. It won’t be for everyone but for those who like dark steamy books will enjoy this.
I liked this book.  I was able to read it in less than a day.  Chase and Alicia's story was full of love, suspense and intrigue.  I loved all if the characters and how they fit in and had a part in how everything flowed.  I will definitely be reading the other 2 books in this series.
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Captive of a Commoner is the first book of a trilogy and my first read by C.J Pastore. Intrigued by the plot with a promise of the beautiful landscapes of Monaco, I picked up this book and wasn't disappointed. Alicia Cesare seeks her own identity, driven to make sense of the world even though she has achieved much on paper. She has mental wounds that need healing, and she needs to convince herself that affection from Chase Reardon will be a looped fairytale in her mind's eye. Cut to questionable choices, which lead to their paths crossing. Chase is far from perfect, even though he has remarkable achievements. Unresolved inner child wounds come to light, creating a realistic push and pull effect between the well-developed characters. Their conversations felt honest and authentic and so were their disagreements. The chemistry and passion between Chase and Alicia are beautifully written, which adds to the allure of the plot. There are numerous laugh-out-loud moments, especially with the Cesare family interactions and Chase's one-liners in bed, which were a warm welcome.
“Problem is, even in fairytales there’s evil.” The evil in this book is so unpredictable that you don't know when it will strike. The ending for me was rushed but given that there's book number two, I cannot wait to dig in! Overall, it was a 4-star read!
I struggled getting into this story and had an especially hard time connecting to the characters. The story itself didn't flow well either.
I did find this novel to be quite fascinating and intriguing. It certainly had me interested and had me wanting to read more and more.

The author has done a great job at writing this novel.
I enjoyed the book, but more on a face value level. The spicy stuff was hot and flirty and the infatuation the couple had that gripping intensity that you want.

On the other hand, I think this book has potential to be great if it was worked on a little more with a few area more fleshed out
The story seems good, but I feel like the book needs fleshed out more. Almost as if this was a first draft. There were a few inconsistencies as well. For instance, she mentioned that she had just started her period, but didn't have a tampon in, only inserting it after sex. The very next day she only had a panty liner.   So her  whole  period lasted 12 hours and she used one tampon and one light liner?
Alicia Cesare has a lot to celebrate. A recent Parsons School of Design graduate and recipient of a fashion design award, she embarks to Europe.When I started reading I couldn't put it down. C.J. Pastore is magnifysent and amazing writer.I cannot wait to read more of there books.Keep up the great work.You should definitely read this books.Can't wait for the next book ..
I received an arc from NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.
I was a little unsure of this book and felt the connection/relationship was a little off. Was not my cup of tea. I finished the book but not sure I would read more in the series.
This was a tough book to get into.  I struggled to finish it.  I had a hard time connecting to the characters, which is my favorite part of a book.