Cover Image: The Blood Tide

The Blood Tide

This detective thriller has a believable team dynamic, twisty plot, and vibrant characters in a vividly depicted Scottish setting. It reads like a standalone thriller with pertinent backstory details to orientate the reader towards the characters.

It has sensory imagery that makes the characters, events and settings easy to visualise. Fast-paced and full of twists that keep you turning the pages. Believable characters draw the reader into this complex story, and what happens to  DS Max Craigie and his team matters to the reader.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed the TOM NOVACK novels by the author I was excited to carry on with the investigations of his latest character D.S. Max Craigie. Not one to disappoint the series got off to a great start with the fabulous ‘ DEAD MANS GRAVE ‘ and has been followed up hot on its heels by this thriller. What a thriller it is too, from the first page you will be hooked. Dragged into the dark world of drugs, their distribution and the lengths villains will go to in order to make money off the back of addicts. Police procedure at its most dark and gritty, where the police officers gut feeling comes to the fore and proves itself over and over again. You can read it as a standalone but by reading the first book you may get a more fuller picture of the main characters. Chock-a -block with tension, pace, fear and murder the book delivers it all in perfect combination. Open the book and delve deep into the dark imagination of the author who has created a fabulous new protagonist in the shape of D S. Max Craigie. Spend a few hours in the windswept beauty of Scotland brought to life by the descriptions penned by the author. Feel the thrill of the chase as the investigation takes many paths to the truth. In other words pick up a book by the author and discover a fabulous addition to your bookshelves.
While this is the second in the DS Max Craigie series it read fine as a standalone story.

Wonderful characters and a well thought out plot with plenty of twists.
A belter of a crime novel-I couldn’t put it down.The plot moves at a fast pace and is full of twists and turns, but throughout you have the reassuring presence of DC Max Craigie and his associates.Highly recommended-I can’t  wait for the next book!
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest review which reflects my own opinion.
Impressive thriller - the opening for example fine-ly tunes expectation and crime.. there is a lot of intuitive hunches - police and evil doer alike. The police crew- Ross, Max and Jana work not as a great team. And there is much emphasis on how well they work together - in comparison to Hardie, younger member of a violent criminal  family now involving local people in a deadly drug smuggling operation, whether they want to or not, all the time, claiming the police are in on it. Stylistic repetitions aside, this is a smooth and interesting journey - fast - paced with several serious twists, and stabbing .. recommend for a quick and blasting read.
When PC Hamish Beattie has to deal with a potential jumper on the Erskine Bridge, he thought it would be just another suicide. But as he attempts to talk the man down, what he hears makes Hamish suspicious. But as enquiries continue, events take a darker turn. Can DS Max Craigie put the pieces together in time?

The Blood Tide is a dark police thriller, with more deaths than an episode of Midsomer Murders, but in the context of the story, they don’t feel excessive somehow. Max Craigie is a likeable character who is obviously dealing with an issue from a previous story - having not read the first book in the series, these were parts I didn’t really get, but it’s easy to catch the drift. Things did get rather complicated towards the end, as the various parts of the trap were sprung, and I struggled to remember who all the different people were, but a very entertaining and gripping story.

Throughly enjoyed reading it.
Another cracking read from Neil Lancaster.

The story is clever, pacy & very dramatic in places but for me the absolute highlight are the characters Neil produces & the dynamic between the team of Max Craigie, Janie & Ross. They are funny & flawed, but honest & loyal. There is also a wonderful supporting cast, who I hope feature again especially Norma & Barney, villians new & reoccurring, and a morally grey character who is also a firm favourite.

If you like police procedural or crime drama you cannot go wrong with this series.
This book was an enjoyable read I liked the characters, the plot was gripping nd it kept me turning the pages.
This book is simply phenomenal!
I loved the storyline, the characters are very likable and realistic. Thank you Neil for creating a strong female police officer as efficient as the hero of the book, a breath of fresh air from most books out there!
The Scottish scenery is so picturesque,  I can't believe I still have not visited Scotland and I now am desperate to visit it. Well done indeed! I now purchased the book and the audible version as Angus King is pure class as ever!
An excellent follow on to Dead Man's Grave (I'd recommend reading them in order) and once more left me keen for my next DS Max Craigie fix.
The team -  Janie, Ross and Craigie -  are fast becoming one of my favourite crime busting teams and in this one there's the welcome addition of Norma, who i hope will become a permanent fisture as her witty repartee with Ross is brilliant.
The Blood Tide is complex and very well plotted with an entertaining mix of police procedure, action and twistiness. Dealing with police corruption, heinous crimes and amoral behaviour throughout the justice system this feels really contemporary and relevant.
With a beautiful backdrop of the Black Isle to reliish, belivable and relatable characters and a twisty and satisfying ending, I throughly enjoyed this.
I've just finished this book and have to say, I've not read a book that gripped me like this for a while. I absolutely loved it and could wait to find out who the insider was! The plot was brilliant with the characters really making you feel like you knew them. It was a really good book with a great plot and one I'd happily read again!
Love the lead character in this series and his dog, Have read the others in series and eagerly await new ones.
DS Max Craigie is back, and this time is involved in unravelling the alleged suicide of one of his colleagues and a drug ring. I enjoyed this - I liked the return of Max and his squad, and of Bruce Ferguson. The novel was at times a little rambly in places, which took away from some of the thrill, but I still really enjoyed this. The ending was also pretty jaw-dropping. I think I enjoyed this slightly less than the first in the series (I would give it a 3.5) but I enjoyed it enough that I’d still look for more books in this series.
4 Stars from me

Dark and gritty and with a definite edge, I greatly enjoyed dipping into The Blood Tide.

DS Max Craigie is a fab character and the rest of the team compliment him perfectly.

The storyline is quickly immersive and I love that the author lets us get just as invested in a character who is only around for a couple of pages as with one who is in it for the long haul.

I loved the scenery, the various settings, the hard edge to most of the characters and the premise for the story overall.
Second in this series set in Scotland featuring Detective Max Craigie. The characters are excellent and the story realistic and fast paced. Bring on the next one.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. It’s part of a series but I enjoyed it having not read the first book. I will read it now though! Set in Scotland it’s a good read with a nice writing style and good character development. It hooked me from the beginning and held my attention to the end.
A little late with this one. My first book by  this writer but not my last. Worthy praise from experts in this field.
A worthy addition to Scottish crime fiction canon. Follows the lead of Ian Rankins Rebus in setting nefarious deeds against a wholly authentic Scottish backdrop. In this case the truly shocking events contrast dramatically with the beautiful, supposedly peaceful, scenery of the West Coast. Highly recommended.
The Blood Tide by Neil Lancaster is the follow up to the best-selling Dead Man’s Grave, the DS Max Craigie Scottish Crime Thriller, Book one.
This can be read as a stand-alone novel but I suggest that you would do well to familiarise yourself with DS Max Craigie and the crew by reading Dead Man's Grave first.
After what appears to be a seemingly random couple of events turns out to be connected, we find our main protagonist DS Max Craigie in at the deep end. He has to struggle with drug dealers, murders and police corruption.
The banter between Max, Janie and Ross is enjoyable, as are the dynamics when the team are working together. This is far from a character-driven novel, but it has excellent main protagonists.
I find the writing of the author slick and uncomplicated. The author keeps the suspense, tension and excitement going without let-up. As police procedural novels go, The Blood Tide does not get bogged down in the usual heavy dialogue making for clear and concise reading.
The author paints vivid and concise pictures of the Scottish landscape without getting too flowery or going over the top. There are the usual plot twists and some misdirection but none too obvious to spoil the narrative.
The Blood Tide is an excellent read and a perfect follow up to Dead Man's Grave. I look forward to the next in the series.
Thanks to NetGalley and HQ, HQ Digital, for the advanced copy of the book.
This is the second book in the  DS Max Craigie series and I think I need to go back to the beginning and read the first book to understand the dynamics of the team of detectives and their personalities.
Having said that I don’t feel it spoilt my thorough enjoyment of this one. It was fast paced throughout and dealt with the subjects of drug barons, murder and possible  police corruption. Even though there was often a lot going on I found Neil Lancaster’s writing style easy to read and I was engrossed throughout the book. This resulted in lots of very late nights as I couldn’t put it down.
I look forward to reading the rest of this series.