Cover Image: The Blood Tide

The Blood Tide

Agree with the other reviewers who say that it’s a real page turner. Enjoyed the thrill of the story and way the author kept the suspense going.
I was very excited to read the second book in the Max Craigie series and it didn't disappoint. A direct follow on a few months after the last one ended. Max, Janie and DI Ross Fraser are set up in their anti corruption unit in Tulliallan. Max and his wife Katie are living in his lovely remote farmhouse and all is going well until Max is contacted by an old police friend who was present at a suicide that he thinks needs investigating. And there the investigation begins with far reaching consequences. I love the main team, now with the addition of plain talking analyst Norma, and the story had me gasping out loud at times (just ask my husband). Great read - hope it's not too long before the next one. #netgalley #thebloodtide
Neil Lancaster has done it again!  I thought he would be hard pressed coming up with a book that could better the first in this series, Dead Man's Grave, and although he hasn't, he has matched it and I have become completely consumed and engaged with Max Craigie and his team.

This is a cracker of a book; with excellent characters (both 'goodies' and 'baddies', new ones and old ones) and an engaging and riveting plot told at a fast pace with great twists and turns.  What more could you ask for?  A cute dog?  Yep, got that too 😁

Now whilst this works well as a standalone, I would highly recommend you read the first, you will not be disappointed and you, like me, will be hooked and itching for the next instalment to come out.

Thank you to HQ and NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review.
This is a gritty police procedural with lots of deaths and foreboding. Just loved it. The scene setting is brilliant, just takes you around Scotland.

I am glad that I started at the beginning of the series but it does work as a standalone. I keep wanting to write more then I delete it as potential spoilers. If you love a dark, intense well written police procedural then this is for you.

I was given an advance copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own.
DS Max Craigie book 2.

I used to read a lot of Police procedurals, but my tastes has diversified into less conventional thrillers over the year.

This series has been lauded as one of the best in years so I was keen to read it, and read and quite enjoyed the first book in anticipation.

Good characters, vivid descriptions of the locations, an involved plot and decent pace. There is a lot of high tech investigation.

I've enjoyed both books in the series, while I haven't fallen in love I can see why fans of the genre are raving about them.

Thanks to Netgalley and HQ
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.  It was gritty action packed thriller.  I found the book difficult to read because of the formatting but I persevered and was glad I did.  I think, however, I would have benefited from reading the first in the series.
My thanks to HQ Digital for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘The Blood Tide’ by Neil Lancaster in exchange for an honest review.

My thanks also to The Pigeonhole for hosting a group read that allowed for plenty of interaction and speculation through our comments.

This is the second in Lancaster’s series of Scottish police procedurals, featuring DS Max Craigie. I loved the first book, ‘Dead Man’s Grave’, and so was very excited to read Book 2 and to lose myself in Craigie’s new investigation.

The novel opens with two dramatic scenes. A young fisherman is meeting with a contact on a remote sea loch on the west coast of Scotland. Things don’t go as planned and he vanishes without a trace.

Then a police officer is called to a Glasgow bridge where a man seems about to jump. Before he falls to his death he speaks to the attending officer. What he says troubles the officer, who then reaches out to Max Craigie. When it is revealed that the dead man worked for the National Crime Agency, his last words take on sinister connotations. It isn’t long before bodies are piling up.

I found this a very satisfying police procedural. Although a dark story, the mood is lightened by the sense of camaraderie between Max and his team, which includes plenty of witty dialogue. The plot twists kept me on the edge of my seat!

Overall, a strong second outing and I will be counting the days until Book 3, ‘The Night Watch’, is published later this year.
DS Max Craigie, following on from Dead Man's Grave, is still persevering to rid Scotland of drug cartels and, but more complicated, to identify high ranking corrupt officers. He and Janie Calder continue their partnership. The humour and good relationships of the team are more apparent in this title. Yet again this is a fast moving, well-plotted, race against time.
Again, this would make a good action film.
Many thanks to Netgalley/Neil Lancaster/HQ for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own
Scottish crime thriller!

Once again ex military Detective Sergeant Max Craigie and the the Policing Standards Reassurance Team, are caught up in the search for violent drug dealers. It seems the dealers are receiving intel from a highly placed source in one of the many Scottish law enforcement agencies.
Two deaths occur seemingly unrelated. A low level drug dealer on the shores of Loch Torridon, and a suicide on Erskine Bridge across the River Clyde, Glasgow making claims of “bent cops and murder” right before he plunged into the abyss. His parting gift, “This bastard owns the cops, the NCA and customs.”
Tipped off by the policeman at the scene, Max finds the connection, one that gives him pause for concern. His family comes under threat, a fact that raises the stakes, Max’s ire and his steely determination.
A police procedural thriller that links back into a recent case, and uncovers a nest of circling sharks. Max needs all his grit and wits to contain the situation, guard his family, and turn the events towards closure.
He has help from old and new friends, and confronts old and new enemies, including Tam Hardie the vicious crime lord he’d put behind bars.
Atmospheric and bold, the intrigue just keeps coming. Once again Max is up against the clock as the situation grows legs and danger threatens on all sides.

An HQ Digital ARC via NetGalley
Please note: Quotes taken from an advanced reading copy maybe subject to change
(Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.)
The blood tide by Neil Lancaster.
DS Max Craigie Scottish Crime Thrillers, Book 2.
You get away with murder.
In a remote sea loch on the west coast of Scotland, a fisherman vanishes without trace. His remains are never found.You make people disappear.
A young man jumps from a bridge in Glasgow and falls to his death in the water below. DS Max Craigie uncovers evidence that links both victims. But if he can’t find out what cost them their lives, it won’t be long before more bodies turn up at the morgue…
 You come back for revenge.
A very good read.  I liked Max, Janie and Ross. Lots of action.  4*.
Taut,fast paced,good cops,bad cops, very nasty criminals this book has it all,along with a gripping police procedural
The ending floored and shocked me, and  I wasn't expecting it!
The whole book from start to finish was action packed and hair raising.
Oooh, this was so good. I hadn't realised this was the second in a series. I hadn't read the first although as a standalone story, not having read the first isn't an issue.
It's about police who investigate their corrupt colleagues - a very interesting and always topical subject.
It's violent and dark but it's thrilling. I could not stop turning the pages. One that is very hard to put down when real life gets in the way. Thank you to Net Galley and to the publisher and writer for letting me have  an advanced copy.
DS Max Craigie is an ex-military who served in Afghanistan. He is now working for the Scottish Police Service as part of Police Standards Reassurance operating out of Tulliallan, after leaving the London Met under a cloud. He and DC Janie Calder, along with the boss, DI Ross Fraser are a good small team.

This is an amazing and riveting crime thriller with fantastic characterisation and it completely blew me away. The author certainly has a talent for blindsiding twists and deviously complex characters. In a multilayered story that details past and present, Max is back with his wife, Kate who has arrived from London and of course their dog, called Nutmeg.

As Neil Lancaster expertly shows off his skill the reader is treated to a wonderfully oppressive, fast-paced thriller. The tale incorporates danger, ruthlessness, power, revenge, corruption, drugs and brutality, all culminating in a rip-roaring and high octane ending. I was hooked from the opening chapter and mesmerised throughout. I recommend The Blood Tide very highly. Roll on book three - The Night Watch.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from HQ Digital via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
2nd book in the series of DS Max Craigie Scottish Crime Thrillers, but the first one I read, and to be honest I didn’t even know it was the 2nd until after I was done!
Love the characters! An officer sees a man about to jump off a bridge and manages to chat with him but to no avail, at the sound of sirens the man jumps. The officer keeps playing the conversation in his head and feels something is off, he calls Max and tells him about his suspicions. Once Max starts taking just curious look things start apart and more bodies start piling up.
And nice fast paced read, with enjoyable characters – I will have to find book 1
Thanks to NetGalley and HQ Digital for an early read
In a remote sea loch on the west coast of Scotland, a fisherman vanishes without trace. His remains are never found. A young man jumps from Erskine Bridge in Glasgow and falls to his death in the water below. DS Max Craigie uncovers evidence that links both victims. But if he can’t find out what cost them their lives, it won’t be long before more bodies turn up at the morgue. Soon cracks start to appear in the investigation, and Max’s past hurtles back to haunt him. When his loved ones are threatened, he faces a terrifying choice: let the only man he ever feared walk free, or watch his closest friend die…
This is the second outing for Max & a very well written book with strong characters, a fast paced story. Lively banter, wonderful descriptions, lots of danger & I was hooked. I hadn’t read the first book but have now bought it & look forward to more in the series. There were twists & turns many of which I didn’t see coming, it’s gritty, it’s somewhat dark & it’s darned good
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
If you’ve read my reviews before, you’ll know I love Scottish crime books. So, how on earth did I miss the first in this series? Fear not, it can be read as a standalone as anything you need to know is recapped to keep you up to speed.

What a fantastic read! At times, I really was holding my breath as I wanted to see where Max, Janie & Ross would be taken next in their hunt to expose police corruption.

I’m not going to recap the story, you can read the blurb but suffice it to say, this is a belter of a book. I cannot wait for the next one but hopefully it won’t come out too soon to enable me to read the first one. If I could more than highly recommend I would do so.
I loved the first book in this new DS Max Craigie series, and The Blood Tide is even better because now we have a relationship with the characters!  We know who’s a pain in the backside; we know whose heart is always in the right place, and we know who we can trust...or do we?

If you have read the first in the series, you will be familiar with what Max and his small team do, basically searching out dodgy law enforcement guys and making sure they are brought to justice, whilst solving the crimes at the same time.  The Blood Tide is gritty, dark and often violent, so if you don’t like dead bodies, then it’s probably not for you!

Throughout a lot of the book, I found myself thinking that he or she had turned into one of the bad guys, and the author kept me guessing with every turn of the page.  Was it safe to let this character have the information they are being given or not?  I found myself muttering out loud sometimes when I voiced my opinions and often cringed when some of the scary and bad things were happening.  This is why Neil Lancaster is such a talented author, he puts his readers in the situations and they live the scenario along with the characters.

Dead Man’s Grave is the first in the series, and no, you don’t need to read that first, but it will give you a better insight and introduction to the characters if you do.  If I were you, I’d definitely add both to your TBR list.

Thank you to NetGalley and HQ Digital for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of The Blood Tide by Neil Lancaster.
Everything started with a suicide, the good police officer could not believe that a young man jumping to kill himself was voluntary but pressured by someone. He will ask for help from his friend D.S. Max Craigie, who as soon as he starts investigating discovers that this is not an isolated case and that someone is killing people in the world of drugs. Who and why now?
I have to say that I am a little biased with this book, I loved all the mystery and investigation done by D.S. Max Craigie but I didn’t like the vengeance part of the story. I can understand that this is a series and you need a closure for the previous book. But the case was so interesting and full that for me, this was unnecessary.
I loved how the author shows us the two sides of the police, the corrupt and the ones fighting against corruption. To make us remember that there are always two sides everywhere and the fight is not easy, who to trust when you are investigating your own co-workers?
This had been a quick read, you can’t stop turning pages till you discover what really happened. The characters are real with feelings and emotions that you could relate too, possibly that’s why I liked this book so much, it’s addictive!
I hope this will not be the last book of the “D.S. Max Craigie” series, he is really good!
Ready to discover “The Blood Tide”?
I loved Neil Lancaster's Dead Man's Grave, the first book in the Max Craigie series, so couldn't wait to read The Blood Tide.  Did I enjoy it? Oh yes I did!  Was it as good as the first? No...it was even better!!  Once again Neil has given us a fast paced and exciting Scottish crime thriller that keeps up its breakneck speed to the very end.  His characters are so well rounded and oh so believable. (I just adore Nutmeg)
I won't retell the story, I'll just strongly recommend that you read it.  Take my word for it you will not be disappointed.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an arc of this fantastic book - can't wait for the next one.
I’m only sorry I didn’t start this series sooner – it’s a cracking read!

Two isolated incidents seem to be just that until DS Max Craigie joins the dots; a fisherman has vanished in the west of Scotland and a young man jumps to his death from a bridge in Glasgow. Max knows he needs to find out why both of these happened or more will follow. But this investigation isn’t straightforward and, as cracks begin to appear and Max’s loved ones are threatened, the last thing he needs is for the imprisoned man from his last case to be involved.

What a terrific read! I freely admit to having a penchant for books set in Scotland and this is definitely one of the best I’ve come across. The characters are wonderfully crafted and the story is gripping all the way. I was never quite sure exactly where it was heading and was surprised more than once! An absolutely excellent read by an author I most definitely recommend. No doubt about it, this is a solid five star read.

My thanks to the publisher for my copy via NetGalley; this is – as always – my honest, original and unbiased review.