Cover Image: The Blood Tide

The Blood Tide

This is the second novel involving Max Craigie and his small team. Here he is the lead detective investigating a seeming suicide in which a member of the drug squad jumps to his death from Erskine Bridge. Fast paced and involving forces all across Scotland this novel certainly lives up to the word" blood" in its title. So there is no spoiler in my saying the body count just keeps climbing - indeed it makes double figures! No wonder the Chief Constable takes an active interest in the case!
This never sets out to be a literary masterpiece but Lancaster certainly provides the reader with a thrilling and absorbing story filled with plenty of nail-biting moments. There's plenty to enjoy for crime novel enthusiasts.
A cracking read that flowed with drama, tension and fear throughout. DS Max Craigie is part of a small team who investigate their own. Risks abound as first one man commits suicide then the officer who discovered him is also found dead in an apparent suicide that has alarm bells ringing in Max’s head. Discovering links to drug gangs, with the criminals always one step ahead makes for a complex and risky investigation that puts his own life and that of his family and colleagues in danger. Trusting no-one seems to be the only way forward in order to get to the bottom of who is involved in these appalling crimes. Fast paced with many levels but never too complicated that the reader is unable to follow this brilliantly conceived thriller. The characters are strong and likeable, with dark Scottish humour and banter.. I can’t wait for the next in this excellent series.
This book takes us back to Max Craigie and police corruption.  For the uninitiated he is a Detective Sergeant in the police in Scotland.  However I would plead with anyone looking at this book to read the earlier book first.  This is a follow on story.  I really enjoyed Dead Man's Grave, both the story and the characters in it.  This one takes up the story of Max and the team's investigation into corruption among police and law enforcement from where the first one ends.

The book starts with some apparently unrelated events.  Max however sees a pattern here.  Now that he is part of a dedicated team he is not as isolated as he was in the last book.  The team and Max swing into action and the book follows the twists and turns of the case.  Once again this is looking at possible deep seated corruption within the police.  Those familiar with the first book will not find it a surprise that Max gets some help less than conventional sources!

I thoroughly enjoyed the earlier book in this series and this one did not let me down either.  The pace and tension here is well worked again.  The story does have some real twists in it which is great.  I do like Max as a character and Janie too.  I guess I didn't find Ross all that convincing by comparison but it certainly didn't spoil this.

In the end this was not quite as edgy as the first book to me but it still is a very good read.  It's an excellent cop/action read and much more satisfying than some more main stream authors produce to me. On my last review I mentioned "Line of Duty" (the TV series) and the comparison works on this one too.  Max's story is much better than Line of Duty for me.  I certainly hope I will read more in this tense series of stories. 4.5/5
The Blood tide by Neil Lancaster is the second novel in the DS Max Craigie series and what a fantastic one it is.
Set in Scotland, we meet again DS Max Craigie of Police Standards Reassurance team. See suffering from PTSD when he served as a soldier in Helmand Province and his imprisonment in the hands of killer and gangster Tam Hardie.
When a drug drop goes wrong and when a man commits suicide by jumping from the Erskine Bridge. His last few words that PC Hamish Beatle hears, Hamish knows something is not right. He contacts DS Max Craigie, and they start an investigation but by doing this all the people he feels close to, are in danger. Especially a few days later Hamish’s Body is found. The two incidents are linked and linked to Tam Hardie, who languishes in jail. How is he doing it?  Which also leads to corruption in the Police services.
Wow thank you HQ for a copy of Blood tide. This is another action packed, gripping, thriller from the author which I enjoyed immensely. I loved the Scottish settings of the land and the sea and the camaraderie between the team of Max, Janie and Ross and not to forget Norma with her love of Krispy Kreme.  This is realistic account of what goes on in police force and the corruption that may occur in it and the determination to catch them responsible.
I hope there is more of this series to come. 5 stars from me.
A fantastic follow up to Dead Mans Grave., Blood Tide is best read in sequence. As the author says it is a “great ripper of a story”. . As much an adventure as a police procedural. If you like Line of Duty you will really enjoy this. Great characters, with Scottish scenery chucked in for good measure. I read a chapter at every opportunity, look forward to the next one.. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to review.
Once again, Neil Lancaster has produced a tightly woven, edge-of-the-seat thriller, featuring DS Max Craigie and the  Police Standards Reassurance team. It follows on from Dead Man's Grave so I would recommend reading that first. No hardship. It's also a cracking read, like this one. The pace is steady in the beginning and escalates until it's fairly hurtling along to a dynamic conclusion. Strangely enough, I found the team – Janie, Ross and Nora –   to be more fully fleshed than Craigie himself, who tended towards a bit of navel-gazing at times. He had his moments of derring-do, though, and masterminds some of the more outrageous elements of the investigation. As a passing note, the descriptions of the Scottish countryside and coastal areas are excellent and serve to enrich the book
I'll definitely be looking forward to the third offering from this author and will recommend it to friends.
Love, love, love it!

If you like a good police procedural this is for you. The characters are natural and not over blown, the language is rich and descriptive-quite a few times I stopped and appreciated the way the author described certain things.

It doesn’t reinvent the wheel but there’s no need, it’s a perfect example of the genre and thoroughly enjoyable.
The Blood Tide is a wonderful followup to Dead Man's Grave where we are introduced to DS Max Craigie. After reading the first book I hoped our author would continue to add to this arresting series (pun intended).

Characters from the first book appear again here so it's recommended to start with Dead Man's Grave for character development.  I'm loving the team and Max's partner Janie Calder.  There is tension, police corruption, drug deals, organzied crime and murder packed into this novel.

Author Neil Lancaster worked with the Metropolitan Police so the plot and scenarios are very believable about how investigations work. Write about what you know, right? There is also humor in some of the banter between officers which comes across as very believable.

If you enjoy police procedurals and good mystery with thrills, this will be a series you'll enjoy.  Additonally, fans of books set in Scotland will enjoy the beauty and isolation described in the plot.

Publication date is February 23, 2022 by HQ Digital.  Genre: General Fiction, Mystery and Thriller.

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced reader's copy of this book.  I was not compensated for the review, all opinions are mine.
f you enjoy Line of Duty then this book is for you. Blood Tide is the sequel to Dead Man's Grave and features Max Craigie and the anti corruption team based in Scotland. Face paced book that makes you want to finish it in one sitting.
Thank you to NetGalley HQ and for the advance copy of this book.
Well Neil you certainly know how to write a cliffhanger!  I couldn’t put it down. It carries on from Dead Man’s Grave. Max and Janie are still working to remove corruption in the police force and even though Tam Hardie is in prison he still manages to control his drugs network. It’s one of the most fast paced books I’ve read in a while and I could just imagine the things happening. The ending is amazing. I won’t give anything away but I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen. I almost cheered at one point. It’s a must read
Wow! What a story! The narrative never flags, and zips along at pace. There are several completely unexpected twists which keep the reader on the edge of their seat. All too scarily believable, this tale of corruption and dodgy dealings in high places, within the police, NCA, and other crime agencies, and the efforts of Max Craigie and his small team’s efforts to get to the bottom of it all, is fascinating. Max and his colleagues are hot on the heels of an organised crime gang, who are using Scotland’s coastline to bring in large quantities of drugs. Their efforts to stop this evil trade and the untold misery it would cause all over UK, had me reading far in to the night.
Although this is the second in the Max Craigie series, it works very well as a standalone story, with one or two brief references to what went before, making sure the reader is not left wondering.
The characterisation of all the main protagonists is so strong and rounded, a talent which not all authors possess, but which makes a book for me. Immensely enjoyable storytelling.
My thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for my advance copy of this novel. I will read more of Neil Lancaster’s work, I am delighted  to have found such a good author.
This sequel to Dead Man's Grave, finds DS Max Craigie working with his colleagues Ross and Janie in Police Scotland's exclusive anti corruption squad and the notorious Tam Hardie locked up serving a life sentence.

Tam's drugs network has been taken over by a Liverpool gang under the leadership of the ruthless Scally but someone is challenging his network.

Another great story from Neil Lancaster which ranges fast and furious over the Highlands and Islands of Northern Scotland.

The best book I've read in ages!
Having read book one in Neil Lancaster's new series, DS Max Craigie, I was privileged to receive an advanced copy of THE BLOOD TIDE and looking forward to reading this novel.

Neil's writing is sharp, witty, full of Scottish humour.  I loved the characters connection within the team  which is full of laughs and witty dialogue.

I would recommend this novel.

I give a 4 star rating.

I WANT TO THANK NETGALLEY FOR THE OPPORTUNITY OF READING AN ADVANCED COPY IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.
Second in the series featuring Max, Janie & Ross.
A mixture of corruption in the the higher level of Uk policing and security mixed with drug smugglers, throw in a few murders along the way and you have the basis for an excellent book with a fair few twists along the way.
A five out of five without any hesitation.
This kept me hooked form the off and can't wait for the next installment.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.   I really really enjoyed this book, fast paced, great characters and a great storyline.   Would recommend to other readers
Cracking! This gripping and brilliantly police procedural will (hopefully) set the standard for crime fiction for years to come. Vicious criminals and realistic coppers set against a bleak Caledonian landscape. Terrific stuff. Highly recommended.
The Blood Tide is the sequel to Dead Man's Grave and again features Max Craigie. If you want an experience more thrilling and with greater acceleration, I suggest you strap yourself on to the side of a Saturn 5 rocket! It was blistering and sometimes you had to concentrate hard on your own breathing. This novel deals with high level corruption and drug smuggling and it's a dog eat dog world. Additionally, Max Craigie's nemesis escapes form his prison cell with revenge first and foremost on his mind and there's a bloody confrontation brewing. This novel was hard to put down, I have the stiff neck to prove it. I don't know where Neil Lancaster will go next with Max Craigie as there really is no hint within The Blood Tide of more water under the bridge. It's a five star review from me and I thoroughly recommend it.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

I really enjoyed this book and think it is a great follow on from Dead Mans Grave.   I thought it got off to a fairly slow start, and I couldn't imagine how the separate story threads would come together.   But the more I read everything started to fall into place and at times I felt like I was unwrapping layer after layer of secrets, deceit, and lies.   I love the main character and his work colleagues, and particularly like reading of their working rapport and the little glimpses the author gives into their personal lives.   Here they investigate widespread corruption and not just within the Police Force.   This is a very well written book, I loved that it was told through different characters which, for me, added depth to the story.  The author certainly knows how to connect with his readers and to hold that connection from the first page to the last.   The last part of the book was absolutely riveting and it raced towards a thrilling final conclusion I would never have guessed!   Overall, this was a very engaging read, and I hope there is another book to follow, I am really enjoying this series so far, and I would recommend this author and his books.
Very gritty crime thriller. The story was good but the huge amount of bad language spoilt it for me.
Do police inspectors really talk to their teams like that?
Scottish Police procedural featuring DS Max Craigie and his team in the Police Standards Reassurance dept who have been given a wide brief to investigate corruption within Police Scotland.
Story starts with a suicide and dives into the murky world of drug smuggling/distribution and the associated violence in that world.
Well written, fast paced with lots of twists and turns including the involvement of an old enemy.
Highly recommended.
Thanks to Harper Collins and Netgalley for allowing me to read this book in return for a fair review.
4 Stars ⭐️