Cover Image: The Blood Tide

The Blood Tide

When PC Hamish Beattie has to deal with a potential jumper on the Erskine Bridge, he thought it would be just another suicide. But as he attempts to talk the man down, what he hears makes Hamish suspicious. But as enquiries continue, events take a darker turn. Can DS Max Craigie put the pieces together in time?

The Blood Tide is a dark police thriller, with more deaths than an episode of Midsomer Murders, but in the context of the story, they don’t feel excessive somehow. Max Craigie is a likeable character who is obviously dealing with an issue from a previous story - having not read the first book in the series, these were parts I didn’t really get, but it’s easy to catch the drift. Things did get rather complicated towards the end, as the various parts of the trap were sprung, and I struggled to remember who all the different people were, but a very entertaining and gripping story.

Throughly enjoyed reading it.
Another cracking read from Neil Lancaster.

The story is clever, pacy & very dramatic in places but for me the absolute highlight are the characters Neil produces & the dynamic between the team of Max Craigie, Janie & Ross. They are funny & flawed, but honest & loyal. There is also a wonderful supporting cast, who I hope feature again especially Norma & Barney, villians new & reoccurring, and a morally grey character who is also a firm favourite.

If you like police procedural or crime drama you cannot go wrong with this series.
This book was an enjoyable read I liked the characters, the plot was gripping nd it kept me turning the pages.
This book is simply phenomenal!
I loved the storyline, the characters are very likable and realistic. Thank you Neil for creating a strong female police officer as efficient as the hero of the book, a breath of fresh air from most books out there!
The Scottish scenery is so picturesque,  I can't believe I still have not visited Scotland and I now am desperate to visit it. Well done indeed! I now purchased the book and the audible version as Angus King is pure class as ever!
An excellent follow on to Dead Man's Grave (I'd recommend reading them in order) and once more left me keen for my next DS Max Craigie fix.
The team -  Janie, Ross and Craigie -  are fast becoming one of my favourite crime busting teams and in this one there's the welcome addition of Norma, who i hope will become a permanent fisture as her witty repartee with Ross is brilliant.
The Blood Tide is complex and very well plotted with an entertaining mix of police procedure, action and twistiness. Dealing with police corruption, heinous crimes and amoral behaviour throughout the justice system this feels really contemporary and relevant.
With a beautiful backdrop of the Black Isle to reliish, belivable and relatable characters and a twisty and satisfying ending, I throughly enjoyed this.
I've just finished this book and have to say, I've not read a book that gripped me like this for a while. I absolutely loved it and could wait to find out who the insider was! The plot was brilliant with the characters really making you feel like you knew them. It was a really good book with a great plot and one I'd happily read again!
Love the lead character in this series and his dog, Have read the others in series and eagerly await new ones.
DS Max Craigie is back, and this time is involved in unravelling the alleged suicide of one of his colleagues and a drug ring. I enjoyed this - I liked the return of Max and his squad, and of Bruce Ferguson. The novel was at times a little rambly in places, which took away from some of the thrill, but I still really enjoyed this. The ending was also pretty jaw-dropping. I think I enjoyed this slightly less than the first in the series (I would give it a 3.5) but I enjoyed it enough that I’d still look for more books in this series.
4 Stars from me

Dark and gritty and with a definite edge, I greatly enjoyed dipping into The Blood Tide.

DS Max Craigie is a fab character and the rest of the team compliment him perfectly.

The storyline is quickly immersive and I love that the author lets us get just as invested in a character who is only around for a couple of pages as with one who is in it for the long haul.

I loved the scenery, the various settings, the hard edge to most of the characters and the premise for the story overall.
Second in this series set in Scotland featuring Detective Max Craigie. The characters are excellent and the story realistic and fast paced. Bring on the next one.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. It’s part of a series but I enjoyed it having not read the first book. I will read it now though! Set in Scotland it’s a good read with a nice writing style and good character development. It hooked me from the beginning and held my attention to the end.
A little late with this one. My first book by  this writer but not my last. Worthy praise from experts in this field.
A worthy addition to Scottish crime fiction canon. Follows the lead of Ian Rankins Rebus in setting nefarious deeds against a wholly authentic Scottish backdrop. In this case the truly shocking events contrast dramatically with the beautiful, supposedly peaceful, scenery of the West Coast. Highly recommended.
The Blood Tide by Neil Lancaster is the follow up to the best-selling Dead Man’s Grave, the DS Max Craigie Scottish Crime Thriller, Book one.
This can be read as a stand-alone novel but I suggest that you would do well to familiarise yourself with DS Max Craigie and the crew by reading Dead Man's Grave first.
After what appears to be a seemingly random couple of events turns out to be connected, we find our main protagonist DS Max Craigie in at the deep end. He has to struggle with drug dealers, murders and police corruption.
The banter between Max, Janie and Ross is enjoyable, as are the dynamics when the team are working together. This is far from a character-driven novel, but it has excellent main protagonists.
I find the writing of the author slick and uncomplicated. The author keeps the suspense, tension and excitement going without let-up. As police procedural novels go, The Blood Tide does not get bogged down in the usual heavy dialogue making for clear and concise reading.
The author paints vivid and concise pictures of the Scottish landscape without getting too flowery or going over the top. There are the usual plot twists and some misdirection but none too obvious to spoil the narrative.
The Blood Tide is an excellent read and a perfect follow up to Dead Man's Grave. I look forward to the next in the series.
Thanks to NetGalley and HQ, HQ Digital, for the advanced copy of the book.
This is the second book in the  DS Max Craigie series and I think I need to go back to the beginning and read the first book to understand the dynamics of the team of detectives and their personalities.
Having said that I don’t feel it spoilt my thorough enjoyment of this one. It was fast paced throughout and dealt with the subjects of drug barons, murder and possible  police corruption. Even though there was often a lot going on I found Neil Lancaster’s writing style easy to read and I was engrossed throughout the book. This resulted in lots of very late nights as I couldn’t put it down.
I look forward to reading the rest of this series.
Neil Lancaster lands another engaging tale of murder, corruption and the eternal fight between criminals and the forces of law and order. As with his previous novel, most of the action takes place across Scotland and we renew our acquaintances with old friends from the earlier investigation.

The body count steadily mounts in this tale of smuggling, drug dealing and police corruption at the highest level, whilst Lancaster’s ability to ratchet up the tension as the narrative reaches its tidy denouement is once again in evidence. For sure, there is a need to suspend disbelief here and there, with - once again - the author’s resort to our hero’s mysterious ex-special forces friend having a distinctly ‘deus ex machina’ feel about it.

None of this, however, stands in the way of this being a thoroughly satisfying yarn that would not let me turn off the light once I’d passed the 50% mark.
The Blood Tide by Neil Lancaster is the second book in the DS Max Craigie Scottish Crime Thriller Series and follow up to the excellent Dead Mans Grave,. What an excellent book this was again. I was hooked from the beginning till the very end. This book was full of great twists and turns throughout and I love the DS Max Craigie character.

I am looking forward to the next book in this series and I highly recommend this series.

Big Thank you to Netgalley and HQ for an ARC in exchange for an honest unbiased review
A pacy thriller set in the West of Scotland. I hadn’t realised this was the second book in a series when I requested it but the fact I haven’t read the first one didn’t detract from my enjoyment of this one.
Thousands of miles of unprotected coastline have made Scotland very attractive to drug smugglers in Neil Lancaster’s new crime novel The Blood Tide. The follow up to the excellent Dead Man’s Grave once again sees DS Max Craigie and DC Janey Calder trying to root out corrupt officers at the very highest level in Scottish law enforcement agencies.
The disappearance of a fisherman from the shores of Loch Torridon, and the suicide of an NCA officer who feels his only course of action is to jump from the Erskine Bridge seem, initially, to have nothing to connect them. When an old friend and colleague of Max’s is found dead in ambiguous circumstances, and also happened to be the officer who tried to prevent the suicide on the bridge, Max’s suspicions are aroused.
Once again, we get to travel around Scotland, and view the glorious scenery, as Max and his team investigate how the criminals always seem to be one step ahead. Neil Lancaster was formerly an officer in the Met, but his love of his adopted home country shines through. His former experience also lends an authentic feel to the details of the crime scenes and how the investigations are carried out.
The characters are well written and convincing, the action is fast paced and gripping, and the humorous banter helps to take the edge off the horrific violence they encounter on a daily basis. Although you could read The Blood Tide as a standalone, it would make more sense to read Dead Man’s Grave first or you will have more questions than answers. Thanks to HarperCollins and NetGalley for a digital copy to review. I have already ordered the paperback, and am looking forward to the third book in the series, The Night Watch, due to be published later in the year.
This is the second in the series and delivers another sharply written crime story, Spot on.  More please.