Cover Image: The Blood Tide

The Blood Tide

DS Max Cragie returns with the second of the series, another great book.
A young man jumps to his death from a bridge in Glasgow telling PC Hamish he has to jump and the police are corrupt. After telling his friend Max about the case Hamish is found dead and his notes on the case have disappeared.
Max and his team start to investigate police corruption with drug trafficking thrown in.

Love the police characters and the banter between them was great.
Can`t wait to read more of the series.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Posted to Goodreads
DS Max Craigie knows there is a link between a missing fisherman and the man who jumped  from a bridge in Glasgow but he can’t work out what the full story is. It’s a race to progress the case before there are more casualties but someone is one step ahead and Max starts to wonder who he can trust. Events start to spiral out of control and get too close to home leaving Max with a tough decision on his hands.

A page turner that I genuinely couldn’t put down. Max Craigie is flawed but likeable with a strong sense of duty  and loyalty to his friends. The supporting characters are well drawn and there were plenty of twists and turns and to keep the story interesting. I’d highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys police crime drama.
One of the best police procedurals I have read in a long time. I was gripped this is Scottish Noir on speed. This book has everything. A fantastic plot, great characters, hilarious banter and one liners and more action,tension and suspense than a spy movie. I could not put this book down!!!!! This deserves more than five stars and a MUST READ. Loved loved it!!!!!
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
This is a fast=paced novel packed full of action, twists and turns. It also has the added edge of being written by an author who has extensive policing experience, so the insights offered into the job are unrivalled across much of crime fiction. It provides this in a way that is accessible to the reader with no inside knowledge, and when I was reading the book, I actually felt as though I was part of the team.

The storyline revolves around gangs vying for one anothers' lucrative drugs markets, and has the team watching their backs while they suspect corruption from within their own ranks.

While that may sound complicated, the book is so well written, there's no way you're going to be able to put it down until you've read to the very end!
This is the second in the series; it is the first one I have read.

In this novel of  struggle for control of the drug market, the bodies pile up.   D.S. Max Craigie and his team investigate, finding not only gangsters, but crooked police and other law officers.

I’m not sure if this novel truly qualifies as Tartan Noir, but it is certainly hard boiled, atmospheric, and fast paced. I liked it and look forward to the next in the series.

Although having read the first in the series probably would have given me further background on these well developed characters, The Blood Tide  worked well as a standalone
The book starts with the story of an experienced police officer, PC Hamish Beatie trying to talk down a man who’s so terrified, he feels his only option is to commit suicide by jumping from the Erskine Bridge.  DS Max Craigie gets involved when Hamish, who is on old friend, contacts him to raise his concerns of potential corruption at a high level.  The story gets darker with a several key players involved in a drugs drop, getting killed.
After reading the first one in this series last year, I was excited to see a second one! This book is a solid sequel, ticking all the boxes you'd want; the characters are developed further and the plot picks up where it left off. I enjoyed learning more about Max, Janie and the rest of the team. I felt the story did dip a little in the middle and I lost track of what was happening, but the ending picked up the pace again and tied everything together whilst leaving me with enough questions to want to read more! I struggled to keep track of all the characters at the start, but as the story moves on it becomes easier, and I was desperate to know what was going to happen next. Neil Lancaster has a strong narrative style, which makes this book an easy read and you get a sense of each character throughout.
This is the second in the series following the investigations of Max Craigie.  Two seemingly unconnected deaths Lead Max into the world of the drugs trade and corruption in high places.  I enjoyed the plot and the characterisation but I didn't feel there was any great excitement despite a small twist at the end. It is very much a procedural novel rather than a crime thriller.  Having said that, I did enjoy reading it and will be keen to read more by this author.
Excellent storyline. Fantastic characters. Brilliant pacing.

The Blood Tie is a superb book and one that any fan of great thrillers should definitely not miss out on
When reading this book, I thought I was watching an action packed thriller that is keeping me at the edge of my seat!

In a remote place, a fisherman disappears without trace. Then a man jumps out of the bridge to his death and soon, the police find clues that link the two cases together.

This is the second book of the DS Mac Craigie series although I haven't read the first book of the series yet. Though it was slightly confusing initially, gradually, I was hooked into the story from the start to the finish! The writing was good and the author did a good job drawing the reader into the story, making the reader feel like they are in this adventure with Max and Janie and Ross! In fact, I can't wait for the third book of the series to come out soon!

Overall, this is an unputdownable thriller that will keep you up all night--worth five stars!

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC. The review is based on my honest opinion only.
This is book 2 in the Max Craigie series and I am lost for words! It's a fascinating, interesting and convoluted plot, all wrapped up and filled with wonderful characters. I love the banter between the team, the beautiful Scottish setting and not forgetting Nutmeg, the dog! The pace never stops from start to the finish as we encounter police corruption, murder and drug smuggling. Honestly, it's a truly brilliant read and I highly recommend it. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
DS Max Craigie is worried when an old friend is found dead in and apparent suicide. Recalling their last conversation Max does not believe that he took his own life. As Max, Janie and Ross dig deeper it becomes apparent that Max’s fears are correct but there is far more going on than they initially thought.
Although Tam Hardie is safely locked up in prison he has left a void to be filled and Liverpudlian Macca thinks he’s the man to do it.  But, something is going badly wrong. Drug deliveries are being intercepted and stolen, couriers are being murdered. Someone with inside knowledge is clearly lining their own pockets and Max and the team are determined to find out who that is. Finding out could cost Max dear, how much is he willing to risk to root out corruption that could go much higher up than he imagined.
Absolutely brilliant book. Yet again Neil Lancaster kept me guessing who the corrupt insider was. I love the addition of Norma and Barney to the team and hope they continue to be involved.
The Blood Tide is a tense thriller set in Scotland.....a missing fisherman, suspicious deliveries off the Scotish Coast, a killer behind bars, corrupt police....its fast paced and very good. I really enjoyed it and finished it in a few days. Full of twists and turns, great f you like a thriller. This is the second book with Max as its central character and it well worth reading both!
With distracting details of the beautiful Scottish weather, the story unfolds. They say that crime doesn't pay, but for some it surely does; in fact it pays so well that a particular type of criminal might think it is worth their time stealing it. Sometimes, that particular type of criminal might just be a copper.  So, the grimy underworld drug barons fins themselves mixing with even lower pond scum.
The hunt is on, to right a wrong; to pay a debt and bring the criminals to justice - harder than it should be, when those in power who are working to protect the public have had a taste of the most addictive drug of all .....money. And they will do everything in their power to keep it.
A pacy police procedural with tons of authentic detail that kept me turning the pages. I would recommend reading the first in the series before as there's a lot of background that pops up in this one. This one can be read as a standalone but with big spoilers for the first. Tightly written.
Blimey there are more people killed in this book than in a Jack Reacher story! And, I’ve done it again, jumped in at book 2 but I’m going to read book 1 very soon as I really enjoyed this. DS Max Craigie, DI Ross Fraser and DC Janie Calder comprise the Scottish Policing Standards Reassurance Team - these are the guys that really crack down on corruption and they report direct to the Chief Constable. This book set a cracking pace that never let up.

It starts with the disappearance of a couple of low level drug couriers. Then PC Hamish Beattie is just about to come off night shift when sees a potential jumper at a popular suicide bridge. He doesn’t manage to save the guy but he does learn that the man is positively terrified for his family. It turns out that he had worked as an intelligence officer at the National Crime Agency (NCA) so that raises a few red flags. Beattie raises the issue with Max but when Max looks for his report he doesn’t find much on the system. When he and Janie go to talk to Beattie at home they find him dead from hanging himself. Only Max is certain he didn’t actually hang himself.

From then on it’s a bloodbath! It’s about who is controlling the drugs coming into Scotland and it becomes obvious that there are corrupt elements within law enforcement when a drug bust goes bust. Max and DI Ross and Janie come up with a plan to trap the corrupt officials but in the way of many plans, things don’t go according to plan. And when Max learns who is behind things his blood runs cold. There is one person he truly fears!

The characters were wonderfully done, they seemed so real and relatable. The addition of analyst, Norma, to the team was inspired as she was like a mother hen - a mother hen with mad tech skills! The language was salty but seemed totally appropriate to the story and I loved the little Scottishisms and the dark humour I associate with tartan noir. I’ll be looking forward to the next book for sure. Many thanks to Netgalley and HQ Digital for the much appreciated arc which I reviewed voluntarily and honestly.
One of Scotland’s best investigators Max Graigie is about to put his life on the line as he starts a new case beginning with the suspicious death of his friend Hamish.
Drug gangs, smuggling and corrupt officers of the law will test the skills of Max’s team and maybe their lives.

Brilliant book with great characters plus typical Scottish weather. What. More could you ask for? Enjoy.
The Blood Tide by Neil Lancaster is the second in the must read Max Craigie series.
In short, we follow DS Max Craigie and his team, the Policing Standards Reassurance Team, their remit to identify and tackle corruption in the police force that others in the force couldn’t. Max realises this new investigation informing his team, “There’s Jimmy McLeish, the missing Caithness fisherman, Hamish’s absent notes, Murdo’s final words, DIY, knots. Need I go on!”
I flipping love this series, the dynamics of the team, the fast paced thrilling plots, the wit, the Scottish landscape and the inimitable Max Craigie and his posse…just brilliant.
The Blood Tide had so many splendid twists and turns but it’s the ending which blew this book out of the water…just genius. Mr Lancaster I most definitely enjoyed this right old ripper of a story!
Big thanks to Neil Lancaster, HQ Digital and NetGalley for this eARC which I chose to read in return for my honest review.
A fantastic story keeping you hooked in from start to finish. The thread can go many different ways and it will keep you on the edge of your seat...
I am very grateful to HQ Stories and NetGalley for an advanced copy in return for an honest review.
Ian Rankin described this book, “Think Jack Reacher fronting Line of Duty”.

I think that sold it best for me.

The story grabbed me from the start as a great page-turner should. The characters, the settings, the plot lines and pace all made this my favourite read for a long time.

I loved the twists and turns, the setbacks and the triumphs, with great villains and outstanding police work.

If you are an avid crime/thriller fan and have yet to read a Neil Lancaster story, you are missing a treat! I highly recommend The Blood Tide!