Cover Image: The Blood Tide

The Blood Tide

Really enjoyed the latest Neil Lancaster novel, Blood Tide, this book carries on from Dead Mans Grave featuring DS Max Craigie who is still trying to stop the corruption in Scotland, the characters are well written and engaging. Although this is book two it does have an air of finality to it but I hope there will be more written soon.
This is an excellent sequel to Dean Man's Grave by Neil Lancaster.  I highly recommend reading this before the Blood Tide to fully understand the character history and development..  This book continues with Max Cragie and the team investigating a suicide, where not all is as it seems.  The story then centers around the drug trade with further corruption in very high places.  This is a superb police procedural set in and around Scotland.

Highly recommended!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the preview copy.
Neil Lancaster is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.
This is the second book in the DS Max Craigie series and I highly recommend that you read the first one, Dead Man's Grave, before this one is published (on 23rd Feb).
Max, Janie and Ross are the secret team who investigate Police Scotland colleagues. No expense claim fraud here though. This is all high end organised crime gangs with corruption right up to the top of the tree.
Think Line of Duty with balls!
Thanks to Harper Collins UK, Neil Lancaster and Netgalley for this ARC.
Another police procedural, set in Scotland. The plot flows fine. I do have a problem with the dialogue. It always feels stilted, the conversations do not have a natural flow. I was surprised to read the author claims a Liverpool background because the dialogue for his Liverpudlian characters is based in the 1960s idioms not present day useage and as annoying as expecting the Scottish villains to say “och aye the noo”
Another great story from Lancaster.
DS Max Craigie and the team are back, find corruption in the force.  Someone is stealing from the drugs gangs but who would have that information except the police?
The novel focusses on Craigie but the characters in the team are all interesting with their own stories.  Some new tech experts are added to the team in this book too.
I haven’t read the previous book in this series featuring DS Max Craigie and his tightly knit likeable team but I will certainly want to read the first in the series after having read this one. It is a fast paced police procedural involving miscreants on the police force and a drug running network. There is a subplot of one of Craigie’s past cases catching up with him which means his life and those of others may be put in danger.
An exciting, tense page turner of a novel. Highly recommended.
My thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for the ARC.
Brilliant police/crime story. Lots of twists and turns and excitement . Believable with likeable characters (the detectives) .
Slowly the plot emerges and the reader becomes aware that seemingly unrelated events are connected. The pace picks up as you get further into the book and keeps  on suprising and holding your interest until the end .
Thank you to Net Galley for the ARC in exchange for an hinest review  I will look out for more from this author

Check out this book on Goodreads: The Blood Tide https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58778863-the-blood-tide
Having read Dead Man's Grave and thoroughly enjoyed it I was looking forward to reading the next book in the series and I wasn't disappointed .The characters are interesting and very realistic I almost felt I knew them !The storyline is exciting ,gripping and fast paced .Set in Scotland which I think adds to the atmospheric feel of the story Max and his Team are back ,this is a Police Procedural with a difference .This is a story of murder ,corruption ,organised crime and it has a great ending .I look forward to reading the next book in the series .Many thanks to the Publisher ,the Author and NetGalley for my free copy in return for an honest review .
My last book of 2021!

This is Book 2 in the Max Craigie series. I absolutely loved Book 1 so was so excited when @netgalley approved me to read Book 2.

A young man jumps from a bridge in Glasgow but all is not as it seems. Max Craigie uncovers evidence & his past comes back to haunt him.

I loved this! @neil_lancaster_crime writes so well, fast paced keeping you gripped the whole way. The bursts of humour & sarcasm along the way add to the enjoyment.

Thanks as always to @netgalley & @harpercollinsuk for this advance copy. Due for release Feb 2022.

Hands down 5🌟
This is the first time I have read a Neil Lancaster novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I was reading I realised that it is the second in the series and although this book can stand alone. I was enjoying so much I wish I had read the first.
The characters are great and the twisting fast paced plot meant it was an effort to put the book down
Highly recommended Hope there is a third novel
Excellent book, so well written and such a good story. The plot was intriguing, and full of twists and turns. A great cast of characters, good and bad . A real page-turner, loved it!
The Blood Tide is book II in the Max Craigie series.
With Tam Hardie in prison for the foreseeable future and now reunited with his wife, life is improving for Max. When he comes across a suicide case, it isn’t long before he works out that things are not how they appear. A little digging uncovers another high-level police corruption ring.
The Blood Tide has a tight, gritty storyline, but I still cannot get to grips with Max Craigie, or many other of the main characters, some of the strands, introduced successfully to make the plot more intricate, are not fully resolved and some of th fixes are a bit of a stretch. Nonetheless, this is an enjoyable read, with the last section the best part,
Max Craigie is investigating a suicide of a member of the National Crime Agency after an old friend Hamish tips him off that all is not what it seems. Soon, Hamish too is dead, another supposed suicide. There's a drugs turf war going on and once again there is a corrupt police officer at its core.

I really liked the first in this series (this is the second) but for me this didn't quite hit the mark. I'm not sure why, perhaps it was the similarities to the first one, perhaps too much happened too quickly, perhaps the dialogue was a bit clunky at times. I didn't dislike it but I don't feel the enthusiasm I had for the first one. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, so was really looking forward to this new one. It certainly didn't disappoint! Max, Janie and Ross are involved with sorting out corruption in the Scottish police. This story centres around drug dealing gangs and the involvement of serving officers. The nasty villain from the previous book, Tam Hardie, is now in prison but still an important character. This is a fast paced plot which will have you on the edge of your seat right to the end. Thanks to NetGalley for a preview copy.
Copied to Goodreads.
Thank you for the opportunity to read 'The Blood Tide'.  I enjoyed reading this fast-paced novel and will search out Neil Lancaster's first novel and look forward to his future books.
Good book. Great story and engaging characters. Looking forward to more from author Neil Lancaster. Love that it is set in Scotland.
DS Max Craigie is back on the trail of a corrupt member of law enforcement who has teamed up with his old nemesis Tam Hardie. Max and his partner Janie investigate a reported suicide they think is murder and a suspicious arrest of a drug dealer who reportedly has an unusually small stash in his car.

I really enjoyed the first Max Craigie book and was looking forward to seeing how the friendships with Janie and their boss Ross developed. While there are glimpses of a strong connection developing between the three these were crammed in between quite heavy pieces of action.

There are at least four cases in this one book, all ultimately linked, but not clearly enough to feel like it was all leading towards one end. This left me feeling like none of the plotlines were really given a chance to develop properly each seeming to be resolved quite easily to turn to a to behind the plot. The novelty of that wore off quickly and the book ended up dragging as I lost interest in finding out the next layer of conspiracy.
A fast and furious read from start to finish. Perfect twist midway through the book too, just as you think you have the measure of the drugs gang and Max & his police colleagues in trying to crack the drug smuggling.

For only his second book Neil Lancaster is certainly moving up the ranks of top crime writers.
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this novel. This is the second book featuring DS Max Craigie, following Dead Man's Grave. Though The Blood Tide includes some references to the previous book it can be read alone - as indeed I did being new to the books of Neil Lancaster.  DS Craigie is more of an action hero type than I am used to - probably about as far from e.g. Rebus as it is possible to get but the story line is non-stop and a very good read. Craigie's old pal Bruce Ferguson plays a fundamental role in the book and is well realised as are the other supporting characters. Right I'm off to read the first book in the series & any others by Neil Lancaster I can lay my hands on.
The second in the  DS Max Craigie series and better than the first and that was fantastic, gripping with great characters.
I received this book from HQ digital via Netgalley for a review.