Cover Image: A Scoundrel of Her Own

A Scoundrel of Her Own

I really loved this book- it had the classic Stacy Reid trifecta: the perfect blend of engaging plot, realistic character development and beautifully written romance. I inhaled this book within a couple of days.

This novel had a touch of whimsy to it which I surprisingly enjoyed; the story of Devlin and Ophelia was enchantingly written and I'm really excited to see what else comes from this series!

4/5 stars just purely because I slightly preferred the first two books in the series over this one- but that may be because I found preferred the topics of disability and espionage covered in the previous books respectively.
Yank you NetGalley for sending this arc for an honest review!

I admit the cover is not to my liking in fact it makes me vomit I won’t lie. But as they say never judge a boom by its cover and that’s something quite difficult for people to accept. I learned that the hard way especially because historical romances are immaculate no matter the cover. This book was an amazing enemies to lovers, and historical always does it best. The vibe did pride and prejudice, and the exact SeCxy content I be looking for if u know what I mean ;)
“I felt I have been waiting all my life for this moment to love you.”

For 15 years, Devlin Byrne has worked his way up from nothing to be worthy of the girl who stole his heart so many years ago when he was just a boy of 12. Now a powerfully wealthy man, Devlin has garnered a reputation of being both faithful to those he cares for as well as ruthless to those who would cause them harm. But regardless of his wealth and power, he is still not considered worthy of being part of the ton. Devlin has fought too hard to achieve his heart’s desire, and he will continue to plot and wait for as long as it takes to claim his beloved Fifi.

Lady Ophelia Durby is the only child of a powerful marquess. Her doting parents have always allowed her to choose her own path in life and encouraged her to only marry for love…so long as she brings no scandal to the family name. But Ophelia’s heart was stolen long ago…by a boy with a heart of gold who saved her from certain death…who made her feel cherished, protected and loved just as she was…a boy who begged his Fifi to wait for him…

Stacy Reid has once again hit it out of the park in her third installment to her Sinful Wallflowers series! This story is full of all the heartwarming sinfully romantic feelings I’ve grown to expect and enjoy from her romances! To the moon and back I loved Devlin and Fifi’s story and highly recommend! Wish I could give more than 5 stars!

**I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. **
Okay hear me out… our story starts with a poor boy who has a heart of gold saving a rich girl from icy depths. They form an instant connection and essentially all but fall in love. Fast forward a bit and there’s some steamy scenes within a vehicle, him sneaking her to a place with traditional Irish song and dance where she can let loose and feel free, another man after her hand in marriage who is much wealthier and approved by her parents, and of course defiance against her parents wishes. You may be asking yourself, “isn’t that just from Titanic?” WRONG. It’s this book too. So, if you love that Rose-Jack dynamic, look no further.

I adored this book. I have read the other two in the series and don’t think they are a requirement to read, but it helps with all the other characters as we first are introduced to the MCs in the earlier books. Going into this I honestly assumed it was going to be your typical rags-to-riches-rake who is a bit of a player, corrupt, and cares only for money. Boy, was I wrong. Devlin is such a sweetheart right from the beginning, and I loved him all the more for it. With his absolute devotion to Ophelia and selflessness for those less fortunate...I just couldn’t not fall in love with him. I wholeheartedly recommend this book for anyone looking for a light read with just the right amount of conflict to keep things interesting.

This is a friends-to-lovers, second chance, class difference, forbidden-romance story.

Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Publishing for the ARC :)
We were taken on quite a ride while reading, A Scoundrel of Her Own. So many emotions both good and bad. A Love like Ophelia and Devlins does not come along often.
The book gave me a Bridgerton feels. I like the characters Lady Ophelia and Niall, who fight for their love against all odds. A bit of a slow read but surely will bring you to their world.
What a delightful friends-to-lovers, forbidden-love historical romance! This is my first read in the series. I can say without hesitation it’s a stand alone. Had no trouble reading without reading the previous two in the series. First, I rarely dip back into historical romance but it was my first genre love in romance and who could resist this story. How happy I was to read this book. We have Lady Ophelia with all her feisty artistry that has been repressed for years and finally given flight in this book. We have the dangerously protective hero, Devlin—the swoon-worthy irresistible badboy denying his fierce love for this woman. The characterization is beautiful and the story flow carries you from scene to scene. And there’s a dog, a monstrous loyal beast. Who doesn’t love a hero with a dog?
If you’re looking for heavy feels, beautiful characters and a sweeping historical romance, this is your book.
Copy received through Netgally via the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Goodness this book was very emotionally charged! Ophelia has had quite a bit on her plate and has been dealing with huge revelations of familial and romantic variety. With financial surprises, shock regarding her parents especially her father's behavior, she feels like she is lost just as she was as a child. And yet again, Niall finds her. I think it is a wonderfully done story, terribly romantic, and truly shows the strength of their love. #netgalley #ascoundrelofherown
This was so sweet Imma die alone! Okay, I might be exaggerating a little bit but it has the "touch her and I'll kill you" trope. so of course I'm simping over them!

Their romance was sensational, steamy, angsty, remarkable and forbidden in all the right ways. The first word that comes to mind when thinking of Davlin is heartwarming. He gave us everything you'd want in a love interest. And maintained his kindess despite his rough past. Fifi was fierce and wonderful. I would've loved to see more of her rebellious side and more of her secret identity.
And finally, we deserved to see her fathers' karma. He's been asking for it since page one. In my head he's paid for his mistakes and horrible doings.

The epilogue got so excited for the next book. Fanny dressed as Viscount Derrick’s valet, interest most definitely piqued.
Good novel , well written ..its a light read , low on angst but Stacy did great job in adding in steam . Look forward to the other wallflower series
Easily 5 stars.

This book pulled me out from a reading slump and threw me into a world so delightful, and passionate, and heartwarming, and sensual that I couldn’t put it down - from the very first to the very last page!

There’s wonderful humor, quirky delights, deeply feeling, richly plotted out characters, and soooo much love, longing, and routing for our hero and heroine.

This is a page turner, one that will be on my re-read list.
Stacy’s books have become one of my auto-buys and also: Can I please have the rest of the series, like, right now?!? Pretty please!

Caution: You may very likely
- fall in love with Ophelia (Fifi) & Devlin,
- consider what it would take to make stargazing in the Forrest a viable option at this time of the year,
- have the urge to look up pictures of baby goats,
- and while you’re at it also check out hot men conversing with dogs 😉

Content warnings (Please only read of you’re ok with potential spoilers):
Description of forceful separation of newborn from mother, mention of stillbirth, mention of imprisonments and physical abuse of children, forceful marriage and conditional parental love (on page).

P.S. To the publisher: I wished you'd gone with a cover model that depicted the heroine in her natural, described  beauty, the one that the hero felt so compelled by!
I first want to say thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I truly am a fan of Stacy Reid. I've enjoyed pretty much everything she has written and A Scoundrel of Her Own was no exception. From the sweet beginnings of young love in the prologue to the odd twists and turns of their reunion and courtship of Devlin (Nial) and Ophelia (Fifi), I found myself just loving them more and more as the book went on. As with any romance novel set in this time, there are of course some liberties taken with just how free Ophelia was to just do as she wished and how much agency she had (which honestly, just doesn't ever bother me because its fiction), but overall this story was a delightful read and gave me the HEA I was looking for. I really enjoyed this one!
I absolutely loved the first book in this series but I have not been as fond of the books that have followed.  It took me a while to get through this book.  I guess I just wasn’t as invested in the characters as I should have been.

Devlin (Niall) could have been seen as obsessed.  Ophelia (Fifi) could be impetuous and was given a lot of unchaperoned freedom for someone of her station and her time.  I have seen this before in historical romances but this bordered on excessive (really straining credulity).

There was also a time jump (5 months) between chapter one and chapter two that left out quite a bit of information, like how she decided to become Lady Starlight, how she went about performing as her, who she interacted with, etc..  If this was in book two, I do not remember the details.

For me A Scoundrel of Her Own was just okay.

Thank you NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I received a copy from NetGalley for preview and this is my freely given review.

In all honesty, I do not think there has been a Stacy Reid novel or novella that I have read that I have not thoroughly enjoyed fully in all it's swoon-worthy romanticism. I have absolutely enjoyed the first two stories in this series and had high expectations for this one.

I loved the prologue to the story; it was a beautiful set up to the history of the two protagonists, with Devlin, or Niall as he was known back then, as a heroic 12 year old boy throwing himself into a river to save Ophelia when her carriage overturns and she falls into the water. She was only a child, but they end up stranded in the woods when he saves her, and they spend many days together. He is her hero, and she entrances him. In their childlike innocence, they play, learn from each other, and become friends, and they pledge to marry. Then they are found and she is returned home. But instead of being lauded as her saviour, the young hero is dragged away from her.

Move ahead 15 years, and Ophelia is an on-the-shelf Sinful Wallflower. She is the indulged and loved daughter of a Marquess, but has pledged to wed for love, but has not found someone who stirs her. She has also found out a secret about her family that haunts her and drives her to disguise herself to search for answers in more dangerous areas of London.

Niall, now better known as Devlin Byrne, has never forgotten his childhood fairy, Fifi, and was driven to better himself to be worthy of her, leaving his family as a youth, and building his fortune through some dubious means in London. He has become wealthy, and powerful, but knows he would never be accepted by Society. Perhaps he never expected to find his Fifi again, but does one night as she is out in her disguise, and starts to follow her and learn about her.

They reconnect, but are from very different worlds. Their courtship is unusual, and secretive, as well as fraught with some distrust from both sides. But there is also a sweetness to it as they have that childhood connection that is remembered and cherished. Devlin still has that desire to cherish and care for Ophelia, but also is aware of their differences and how she may end up rejecting him, and he tries to protect himself from what he feels will be an inevitability, even as their affair grows more passionate, and he also helps her in her quest to find some answers to other secrets.

This is an over the top love story, but I loved the different characters and the wonderful way Stacy Reid delves into their characters and emotions. I could really empathize with some of the feelings of conflict, loss, trepidation, and sadness. I kind of would like to go into some more detail, but feel it would lead to a spoiler, so I wont. There is great tension between Ophelia's love for her parents and wanting to do what they wish, but also her love for Devlin, and her wishes to seek out answers.

What I would have loved to have seen was more of an answer as to why the Marquess did what he did so many years ago, and a deeper resolution of that and another healed relationship perhaps. But something like that, which may be more realistic in this day and age, would have likely been out of the question then.

All in all, I felt this was a lovely, almost fairy tale-like story that spoke to me of enduring love, and passion. It had lovely HEA. Also it had a dog - and a goat! I always said that if I could, I would have a miniature goat for a pet (Nigerian miniature goats - look them up; they are freaking adorable!). So add in the four-legged furries to a historical love story and I am mush in your hands. By the way, I hope that goat or the mastiff end up shoving that Cousin Effie into the deepest, wettest, most foul-smelling mud puddle possible. What a sanctimonious jackass she was!

4 out of 5 shining stars in the night time sky and bring on the rest of the remaining Sinful Wallflowers!
Sometimes I have an itch to escape daily life, and only historical romance will do. A Scoundrel of Her Own by Stacy Reid certainly fits the bill, and it was a great getaway to Regency England.

As a child, Ophelia, the daughter of a marquess, fell into a river, and Niall was the boy who jumped in to save her. He cared for her for many days before they were found, and the two formed a lasting bond. Since Niall wasn’t of noble blood, he was sent away with barely a thank you and a command to stay away from his dear Fifi.

Now he presents himself as wealthy Devlin Bryne, who runs gaming hells and commands the London underworld. He has spent his entire life trying to make himself into a man who can not be looked down upon. With his giant dog Conan, he roams the nighttime streets. It is on one of these walks that he meets up with Ophelia again. Once he gets a glimpse of her, he devises a plan to meet up with her, and have her sing for him.

Ophelia needs Devlin’s help. While her father thought he was on his deathbed, he revealed a family secret. Now that he’s recovered, he won’t give her any of the other relevant information she’s desperate to learn. Devlin is very protective of her, and anxious to get her the information she’s searching for. Eventually Ophelia and Devlin get into the details of their previous connection, all while he is helping her with her investigation and falling in love.

The major conflict in this book is mostly based on class differences. There wasn’t any question about Ophelia and Devlin’s feelings for each other, just that they didn’t think they could ever be together. At points, Ophelia seems a little naive, and she doesn’t seem to grasp the societal implications as well as Devlin, even though she’s the one who is a member of the ton.

The beginning of the book parallels events from the previous book in series, which I haven’t read yet. But, it didn’t affect my enjoyment or understanding of the story. If you are looking for a historical romance with lots of gowns, balls, and star crossed lovers, check out A Scoundrel of Her Own.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This novel was an enjoyable read on the next Sinful Wallflower being wicked, Ophelia has a talent for dancing and singing, and has not been forced into a marriage, even though she is beyond the marrying age. Ophelia is told a secret that greatly affects her and she seeks to discover the truth. Ophelia did not expect to meet Devlin Byrne, who is wealthy, a commoner, and ruthless. Ophelia and Devlin have a past that they both remember fondly, but they come from 2 different worlds. Their meetings become secret and develop into so much more. Devlin's choices were because of his chance meeting with Ophelia as children and he has not forgotten what he asked her. Both try not to love the other, especially due to the difference in their social classes. No one can control the heart, but will society's expectations control then?
I received this novel from net galley and the publisher as an ARC. Thank you! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
A Scoundrel of Her Own is the third book in Stacy Reid’s Sinful Wallflowers series! With layered and interesting characters, great messages, and an epic love story, there’s a lot to love. The story focuses on Lady Ophelia Darby, the daughter of a marquess, and Devlin Byrne, an enigmatic man who lives on the dangerous fringes of society.

The couple first meets when they are children, and Devlin, then known as Niall, rescues Ophelia, who he nicknames Fifi, from drowning. Niall and Fifi must seek shelter together for a week before being rescued and returned to their families. During that week, a wonderful relationship develops between Niall and Fifi that neither has forgotten about. The young pair become fast friends and promise to marry each other before they are rescued and separated. Though most of the story takes place sixteen years later, when they are in their twenties and happen to meet again, these flashbacks to their time together as kids are so sweet and charming.

Ophelia and Devlin are complex and compelling protagonists, and neither really seems to fit into society. Ophelia often disguises herself as a singer called Lady Starlight and wows audiences with her stunning voice. She also secretly tries to find out more about her past and the shocking revelations her father revealed while on his death bed. When out as Lady Starlight, Ophelia has a mysterious protector, someone who ensures her safety, though they’ve never met. Ophelia learns that her protector is none other than her childhood savior Niall, now called Devlin.

Devlin’s reputation as a dangerous and foreboding man is quite different from the boy she remembers. Devlin is a delightfully swoon-worthy romantic hero, and he and Olivia have an epic love story! Olivia is Devlin’s forever and only love. He’s loved her his entire life, and everything he’s done, he’s done to be worthy of her. Since he is from a lower class than Olivia, her family has never approved of him, and they hurtfully reject and insult him on more than one occasion. However, Devlin and Olivia love each other unconditionally and without reservations. They have such a strong bond, and their connection only grows as they reunite and grow closer. This makes for some sweet, some intense, and many swoon-worthy moments between the pair. They have an amazing life-long love story, and I loved every minute of it.

Between Ophelia disguising herself and sneaking out, Devlin’s mysterious life, and the secrets in Ophelia’s family and her attempt to unravel the truth, there is a lot of intrigue in the story. There are also interesting messages about social class and prejudice, which is especially noticeable in how Ophelia’s family treats Devlin, both when he is a young boy and as an adult. Because of his station, her family deems Devlin unworthy, when in actuality, he is the most noble and honorable of them all.

I thought this was a great addition to the Sinful Wallflowers Series, and I adored Ophelia and Devlin’s sweet, passionate, and beautiful love story. Thanks so much to Entangled: Amara, Netgalley, and the author for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Lady Ophelia Darby exists in two worlds. In one, she is the impudent, willful daughter of a powerful marquess and darling of the ton. When I started reading I couldn't put it down. .Stacy Reid is magnifysent and amazing writer.I cannot wait to read more of there books.Keep up the great work.You should definitely read this books.Can't wait for the next book .
4 stars

A Scoundrel of Her Own by Stacy Reid is the third book in the Sinful Wallflowers series. When Lady Ophelia Darby was 8 years old, she had a carriage accident and landed in a river. She was heroically rescued by Devlin Byrne who was only 4 years older than her. After her rescue, the two of them spent a few days together at an abandoned cabin before being rescued. The two vowed to marry each other, but were separated due to their class differences. Ophelia is the only daughter of a marquess and Devlin is the son of a carpenter. The two don’t see each other again for 15 years.

The love between Ophelia and Devlin is so endearing. I absolutely loved them and their journey back to each other.  I loved how the author didn’t waste any time helping the characters figure out who the other was. Additionally, the couple work together to solve a mystery surrounding Ophelia's parents. There was just so much going on in this book and I could not put it down. I will absolutely read the other books that come out in this series.

I was invited to read an ARC of A Scoundrel of Her Own, through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #AScoundrelofHerOwn
Stacy Reid's books are so good that whenever I finish a new one, I immediately go back and read one of her older ones because I don't want the journey to end.

The only thing this book was missing was some backstory into the sinful wallflowers, other than that, it was perfection. Lady Ophelia finds out some distressing information about her birth and goes on a self-journey. She runs into a man who rescued her when they were children and he helps her.

Devlin was the best hero. I loved their backstory and how he made himself into someone for Lady Ophelia. He also had a lot of emotional depth and didn't shy away from Ophelia when she needed him. He was a very swoon-worthy hero. There was a lot of steam from about mid-way on. Lots of sex scenes and very well-written.

I also loved that this couple had met as children and that their bond transcended time. It was a beautiful story, I read it in one sitting.