Cover Image: A Scoundrel of Her Own

A Scoundrel of Her Own

I absolutely loved the beginning of the books.

I loved how the hero and heroine first met. The way they formed this friendship and the promise to marry each other when they grow up. How cute!!!

I loved the HERO so much. He is the perfect pining hero of all time. The way he felt about the heroine, the way he lived his life in becoming worth the heroine, it just broke my heart a little.

I wasn't a huge fan of the heroine though. And that's why I just couldn't finish the book. I've put it on hold for now coz it's too much to see the dedication of the hero and his feelings toward her and the lack of deep feelings in the heroine toward the hero.
4/5 Stars

** I received this as an E-ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review, Thank you!**

I really had a great time with this book. I really liked the romance between Ophelia and Devlin. I really adored the childhood nickname that Devlin called her. I thought it was adorable. I loved the way you got to watch Ophelia essentaly grow up and stand up for herself and what she wants rather than her parents. Watching these two form a relationship was honestly such a good time. I would highly advise giving this a chance.
Another fun Stacy Reid novel.  I had not read the previous books in the series and this book could be read as a stand alone.

The story of Lady Ophelia Darby and Devil Byrne starts when they are kids but have a lapse of 15 years before they catch up again and now both altered and leading different my styles.

Lots of fun elements with a good story line trade mark Stacy Reid romance makes this a book a relaxing and fun read.

I am going to back to read the previous books in this series.
In this book, we meet lovely Ophelia and Niall, now goes by Devlin, who met one day fifteen years ago and spent a great day together. But they were from two different worlds – her being a socialite, him from a working family. He knew he had to become someone in order to become somewhat worthy of her.

Fast forward almost a decade and a half, they meet each other by chance. He runs the underworld and she is on a brink of financial ruin.

I love how Ophelia found out quickly who Niall is. It was one of my main concerns that the whole plot would be basically him hiding his identity and for her to find out at the end of the book. I feel like this plot is overused in so many books.

But it wasn’t like that at all. The whole story was great but in the end, I still wished for more. I feel like them being from two different worlds was the whole plot and how they can’t be together because of that no matter their feelings and at the end, they were like ”oh, f-ck it, we’re doing this and who cares what anyone thinks” and that was it. And I was like ”well, you couldn’t do that sooner??” Because of course this is romance and they will be together at the end and her family just accepted it at the end after she recklessly married him.

So yeah, it’s a good book but you ask yourself at the end why did you read the whole book if they could f-ck the society sooner and went ”yolo” and just married each other in the first place.

⭐⭐⭐⭐
Rating: 4 out of 5.
Aaaaah, this book! I loved it so much. The two characters were both filled with so much passion, so much longing. And I just can never get enough of the star-crossed lovers trope. Or the dangerous yet misunderstood leading male character trope. Also the trope of the heroine searching for the truth about her past. And then add in A DOG and well, I was just done. So there you go. This historical romance had a good fast pace, lots of great steam, and some amazing lines. I haven't read the others in the series, and it definitely didn't matter. It stood on its own. (But I plan to go bread the others now, of course.)
What a journey these two have been on. Meeting when they are very young. Being unceremoniously ripped apart by entitled rank and the whole thing brushed under a rug in the kitchen.

Ophelia is struggling to find her place in her world. She has the power of her father behind her, but she is looking for something more. I liked her from the first and was not disappointed through the story. She sees the best in people, regardless of rank or station in society. When she discovers a family secret, she searches for answers, only to be denied by her parents. She is tenacious, smart and caring.

Devlin is ruthless, determined and wants only one lady. Unfortunately, he has an epic uphill battle to not only win her, but gain her parent's acceptance and approval. He has a protective nature and he is smart.

I enjoyed watching them together. Each trying not to give in to their attraction. Ms.Reid does a marvelous job of weaving everything you want into a story...forbidden love, secrets, a bit of danger, tense moments and eventually the HEA you are looking for. Well done.

Disclaimer: I received a complementary copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review. This has not affected my review in anyway.

Reviewed by Lisa for Buried Under Romance
It was an emotional journey filled with so much emotions and spicyness. Her characters are well developed and are really smart and sexy! This is the kind of historical romance that I like, something that keeps me craving for more and enjoying it all the way!
As a child, Lady Ophelia Darby was involved in a terrible carriage accident that washed her downstream.  Luckily a young peasant boy jumped into the river to save her.  They stayed together in a cabin in the woods for days until they were rescued.  They promise to wed each other someday.  But how can a peasant boy marry the daughter of a Marquess?

Now an adult, Lady Ophelia moves through her regular society events during the day but sings as Lady Starlight in the shadowy underworld at night.  She wants to find the answer to her father’s dark secret, and also to discover more about the mysterious Devlin Byrne, master of the underworld.  When she discovers that Devlin was the young boy who saved her, she is intrigued.  As the two get to know each other, how can they move forward into the future with such different pasts?

I was engaged by story immediately.  I loved how it started as a childhood love.  I loved a story of two star crossed lovers from different backgrounds trying to figure out how to make it work.  I also loved the mysteries in the romance that had to be solved.  I loved how Lady Ophelia was an independent woman who wanted to marry for love, and I loved how Devlin supported her.  I just loved a lot about this romance novel.  There were a couple of steamy scenes in the novel, but it didn’t go overboard.

This was the third book in the Sinful Wallflowers series, but it read well as a stand-alone.  I want to check out the rest of the series now!

Favorite Quotes:

“We all have a bit of madness in our hearts; we’ve just learned to hide it.  I admit I might sparkle a little brighter because, according to my father, I have been overindulged.”

“He made her feel safe. . . cherished, and Ophelia inexplicably knew he would stand before any storm that came her way.  His loyalty was unswerving, and she felt undeserving.”

Overall, A Scoundrel of Her Own was a delightful Regency romance novel.

Book Source:  Review Copy from Entangled Publishing for being a part of the TLC Book Tour.  Thank-you.  I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
In her “Sinful Wallflowers” series, Stacy Reid chronicles the love stories of a group of friends in Regency England who promise themselves to be wicked, improper, and terribly scandalous and to be daring and take what we need instead of waiting, wasting away on the shelves our family and society have placed us on.
In the third book of the series, A Scoundrel of Her Own, we follow the aptly named Lady Ophelia. The book opens when, at age eight, she almost drowns and is saved by the twelve-year-old Niall. In the nine days they spend in a cottage in the woods, a strong bond forms between the children, but once they are rescued they can no longer be friends. Ophelia is the only daughter of the Marquess of Shelton, no fit companion for a starving flea-infested beggar, as her father puts it.
Fifteen years later, Ophelia has been told by her father that her biological mother is not the marchioness, but a Miss Sally Martin. With only a name to go on, Ophelia disguises herself as the singer Lady Midnight in order to search for her mother in parts of London where the daughter of a marquess would never be allowed to go, escaping the constricting, if glamorous, world of the ton and its gossip columnists. It is in the guise of Lady Midnight, in front of a disreputable pub, that she is seen again by Niall, who now goes by the name of Devlin Byrne, an exceedingly wealthy businessman who, due to his unknown origins and reformists ideas, is exceedingly objectionable to British high society.
What follows is a delightful, if slightly unbelievable, story: as one would expect, Devlin and Ophelia reconnect and fall in love; as one would not expect they both think that, since her parents would never accept their marriage, the simple solution is for Devlin and Ophelia, the unmarried only child of a marquess, to become lovers.
The novel is quite funny at times, the humor mostly coming from someone’s reactions or simply by their presence in a scene: many times that someone is Ophelia’s widowed cousin Effie, who acts as her chaperone and is constantly appalled throughout the book.
Fans of regency romance who don’t mind some anachronisms in their character and plots will certainly enjoy following Ophelia’s and Devin’s story, which includes finding Sally Martin, dancing Irish reels in a tavern - in a scene that is like Titanic in the best way possible -, and a baby goat named Barbosa. Longtime readers of the “Sinful Wallflowers” series will love seeing the wedding of Maryann, the heroine of Her Wicked Marquess, as well as knowing that Fanny is disguised as a housekeeper in the house of a viscount.
Stacy Reid does it again.
Maybe I should start all my review of Reid's books this way. I quite enjoyed all the books in the Sinful Wallflowers series, however, this one has just become my favorite. It is perhaps due to the little childhood interlude at the beginning that made the story more compelling than the others, but it is what it is.
While young Niall and Ophelia promise to marry each other when they grow up, life has other plans for them and they end up separated. Now both adults, him the rogue Devlin Byrne and her the mysterious singer Lady Starlight, they meet again, and what was slowly rekindles.
A Scoundrel of Her Own is a sweet, childhood friends reunited story, with a few ups and downs that ends in a HEA.
You all! I loved this book! I love this series and this book is such an amazing addition! I laughed, I cried, I swooned! When I first read the blurb, I wasn’t quite sure if I would like it because I do have a tendency to like the lords (shameless I know) but once I read the opening pages I knew it was going to blow my socks off and it exceeded all my (already high) expectations. Stacy Reid just writes everything I want to read. I love it.

Some favorite themes from this book:
Loyalty and devotion - both characters are very loyal to the other in spite of their differences in class. I really loved that. Some people may find that a bit possessive of them, but frankly I get sick of all the love-jaded lords who fool around with every woman they can up until they decide they met the right one. Like, give me this level of devotion!!!
Social justice - really gotta love the Robin Hood aspects of our male hero! Devlin really goes out of his way to elevate himself and the people around him who have been wronged by society simply for not being titled. (Hence all my swooning!)

I really cannot recommend this author enough. If you love historical romance, you need to read this ASAP!

Thank you to entangled publishing for the review copy!
This is such a delicious and delightful second chance romance.  Devlin and Ophelia have a connection forged in crisis, and yet enduring despite the years apart and distance between them. I loved every minute of this read. With every new romance, Stacey Reid proves that she deserves to be considered one of the best out there.

Honestly this book is so so good. Second chance (ish), class difference.
Devlin is a man on a mission to better himself, to raise himself up in the eyes of society for a girl he met when he was 9. Ophelia tries to be an obedient daughter but she has dreams outside of her aristocratic circle. It is not until these two are reconnected can their dreams really become reality
Reid is able to create worlds that just pull you in and you don't want to leave,, characters that make you root for them and a happily ever after that is not easily earned but worth the ride.
A wonderful tale of Devlin Byrne a man who went from rags to riches finds himself attracted to Lady Starlight aka Lady Ophelia. She’s the daughter of a powerful marquess and also lives underground as songstress Lady Starlight. A captivating book as the lines begin to blur as the two worlds collide and there’s only one man she can trust, Devlin. The one man who’ll stop at nothing to have her in his life. I have voluntarily read and reviewed the great book.
I am a  big fan of Romance books and I found this one to be a very enjoyable read.  I will be looking for more books from this author.
Delicious heartbreak.
A Scoundrel of Her Own is my first read by the popular Stacy Reid, and all I have to say is: what took me so long? From the heartbreaking beginning when we first meet our two love interests as children to the fantastic sexual tension humming throughout, I was hooked. There is a lot of forgiveness that happens in this story that seems to come about very quickly, and I’m always the person that wants the injured party to wait a minute before forgiving, but without giving spoilers away I will say I understand why our heroine forgives. There is a lot of twisting in this story, so without going into plot details, here is a list review of all the things you will love in this book:
- class difference romance
- self made hero
- heroine with a secret identity
- dangerous man with a heart of gold
- giving an uptight chaperone the slip
- lots of close proximity carriage action
- all the emotional reveals
This story will definitely pull on your heartstrings from the first chapter, but it will also make your reading glasses steam up, so come prepared with a handkerchief for both eyes and lenses. I’m off to find some more of @stacy_romanceaddict’s books. Thank you to the author as well as @tlcbooktours @tlcdiversity @entangled_publishing and @netgalley for the eARC.
** Received review copy*

I really loved the beginning of this book. The way they meet is fantastic.
It is a solid historical with some family secrets and a self made man who raises himself in an effort to be worthy of his lady.
I really enjoyed this book. It’s a standalone in an interconnected series. I think it would have been more enjoyable if I had read the other two books first but everything made sense anyways.

My only issue with the book is that there were some historical inaccuracies. Nothing too much but there was the use of the f word a couple of times. And I think the relationship went a bit 0-100 but I think it kind of made sense for their characters. It’s just something I felt like I had to take a second to process when reading.

The other thing is that Ophelia is described as having “raven black hair” and uses a blonde wig occasionally but the cover photo is one a blonde?

I liked this enough that I would like to go back and read the other two books in the series and follow up with future books I think I’ll like them very much.

Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Publishing for the opportunity to review.
So, any time I break out the fangirl pic, you know things are about to get seriously real.

Another add to the Sinful Wallflowers series, and another FABULOUS story for Historical Romance fans to indulge in!  These ladies are far from the wallflowers that the ton has made them into, and in an effort to hedge their bets in their own directions, they've come together and made a pact, if you will, to live life on their own terms, seek our their desires, and make their own way in a world dominated by men, but held captive by the women standing subtly by.

I really enjoyed how this story began, in childhood no doubt, sharing with us just how deep their bond really was.  The innocent beginnings that turned into long held desires that seemed as if they would never see the light of another day...and yet, fate showed them just enough mercy for a reintroduction; what they did with it from there is entirely up to them.  Or was it?  It's a time when the voice of one among the ton can make or break you.  Your reputation as a lady, and your family name, are the most important things outside of lofty bank accounts, and stepping outside your class, in any sense of the word, is pretty much forbidden.  But what's a girl to do when her father, lying on his death bed, reveals a secret, startling, yes, and yet making clear things you never before understood?  What if after same said confession, a turnabout in health occurs...leaving the secret aired, and both parties with whom the knowledge lies at opposing ends of what to do next?  It's a predicament that sends Lady Ophelia into a world of shadows and darkness, as she seeks to make sense of her world torn asunder, but she's not truly alone in her endeavor...

Enter Devlin Byrne...my somewhat latest book boyfriend, and mysterious shadow to our Lady Ophelia.  With his connections, nay with his reputation alone, her safety is not in question...but what of her heart?  There's something there just beneath the surface that aches to know more.  The why, what, and who that are driving her mad with curiosity, and yet...in the telling, in the revelation, in the removal of masks painstakingly set in place, her world is about to shatter all over again.  She'll gain knowledge of things she never knew she wanted to know.  She'll grow to understand things between men and women that she and her friends could only speculate about.  She'll discover things about herself, society, and those she holds dear that will shock, awe, and inspire, but ultimately, when all is said and done, Lady Ophelia will understand that life is only well lived if one embraces it with a full and open heart.

The highs and lows of love and societal demands will keep you turning pages long into the night, while the relationship between our leads will have you on high alert.  You'll hope against hope that all turns out well, both in Lady Ophelia's quest, and Devlin's endeavors...and while it may not all be a smooth road to happily-ever-after, those bumps along the way create pure magic.  A high recommendation for ADULT Historical Romance fans...sorry younger readers, but there's definitely adult content and conversation best kept for older ears/eyes.  Even I never knew there were so many names for certain things between men and women...some most comical too!
I absolutely loved this book. Devlin and Ophelia’s story is wonderful. It was so sweet and full of feeling and I can’t wait to read it again. It’s early in the year but so far it’s my favorite read I’ve read this year. Lots of feelings and plenty of steam.