Cover Image: One Eye Open

One Eye Open

One Eye Open by Alex Grecian was a lovely surprise and a very quick read!!! I really enjoyed it especially as Alex is a new author to me. This book was very fast pace throughout. It maybe only 100 pages but is was very creepy and eerie great for bedtime reading or in a graveyard on halloween!

Big thank you to NetGalley and TKO Publishers for the opportunity to read and review.
The poly is promising bordering on horror and the lives of the characters as in like in any contemporary fiction. The descriptions were crisp and vivid and the ending was surprising. Really enjoyed it.
One eye open by Alex Grecian.
After her mother’s sudden passing, Laura and her daughter Juniper return to her childhood home in the rural outskirts of Denmark. In the scenic village amidst seas of wheat fields, Laura hopes they have finally let tragedy behind them. Then, Juniper begins to notice something strange about the people she encounters, the same people who have worked in these fields for centuries.
This was a really enjoyable read with good characters.  Likeable story.  4*.
I was a bit surprised to see how short this book was. And then I read it and it made perfect sense. One Eye Open is not meant to be a huge book with a lot of events that will take you on a wild ride. It is supposed to be a short time capsule in your day, a burst in your everyday bubble.

The story is really original. Walking the line between paranormal and literary fiction, this book takes the reader in a strange little family who moves in this strange little village, in which several things seems to be off.

Laura and Juniper were perfect characters for this, well-balanced, never cliché. The same goes for the world-building. I didn't expect it to be much descriptions considering the book length, but everything ended up feeling so natural. Even now that it's been over 3 weeks since my read, I still remember vividly how I picture the farm, the village and the characters. This is powerful writing!

In the end, it was truly a surprising read, that managed to fit everything you might search in this type of book, including vivid descriptions, believable characters, and twists until the end!
Where to begin?
I had no idea what to expect with this book. It’s only 100 pages long, and I didn’t think it was possible to fit that much back story and creepiness into such a little book. But it is! Alex Grecian filled the hundred pages of "One Eye Open" with an eerie, folklore-feeling horror that I couldn’t put down. This novella is perfect for anyone looking for a short, creepy read. The characters are well written and the plot flows from scene to scene easily. The unsettling details of the people and creatures inhabiting the little Danish town gave the story a cultish feel and an underlying sense of dread throughout. The amount of suspense that was built in such a short time is astounding, and the plot twist at the end is something I won’t stop thinking about any time soon.
Need a little bit of eerie thrill? This is it.
Laura and her teen-aged daughter, Juniper, have just arrived in Godhavn, Denmark. It is Autumn, and they have come to the family homestead in the wake of Laura’s mother’s death. It’s where Laura grew up, a place she had planned on never returning. But now Laura is planning on making this their home. However, as we will find out, Laura has a very good reason in doing so.

The house holds many secrets which intrigue Juniper: a linen closet with chains; pictures of her elderly grandmother with a young man; a closet with a hole in the wall and possibly an explanation on the cause of her grandmother’s death.

The most interesting items are the carved box and leather journal left to Laura; items the family lawyer presents her with these words: “You made your bed, now lie in it.” What is behind his cryptic warning?

The carved box contains a cornhusk doll (hulder), and a lock of grey hair. Written in the journal is an entry that reads like a pagan ceremony. The people of Godhavn are bonded to the land, and the land is bonded to them. The crops are ready to be harvested; bonfires are lit; and thanks will be given to the Old Ones who have watched over them, and will soon be returning to the ground.
This is a novella about loss, grief, and rebirth told with elements of Danish folklore; it can be characterized as folk horror. At 100 pages, it is a quick and satisfying read.

I would like to thank NetGalley and TKO Publishers for the opportunity to read and review this entertaining novella.
This is an excellent horror novella with a Lovecraftian twist.  A really fantastic, weird and wonderful read with an extremely engrossing story for such a short book.  I love, love, loved it!
This is my first book by Grecian, and I'm duly impressed! One Eye Open is a fast-paced little novella that's equal parts nasty and heartbreaking in turn. I have a strong interest in regional folklore so this story was right up my alley.

TW: body horror, animal death, human death.

I breezed through this novella in no time, captivated instantly by the excellent scene-setting and atmospheric location. I loved that it moved quickly and didn't drag at all, yet managed to efficiently paint a picture of the characters and events. Pacing and depth can be difficult to balance in a novella, and Grecian did it excellently here.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me a copy of this book!
TW: For Self-Harm
This book is very short, but I have some things to say.
Characters: Juniper was honestly kind of annoying. I liked the twist at the end with her character, but she sees a spell in her grandmother's room and instantly thinks it's a good idea. Why? That reason being that this book is really really short and has no room for build up. Her mom Laura was fine, but I wish there was more.
Atmosphere: The atmosphere is the biggest strength just because it's a slightly secluded farm that has secrets.
Writing: The writing is fine. I caught a couple of things that I wouldn't have done stylistically.
Plot: There was no time for build up. It was over and done with very quickly. Honestly, the ending is dissatisfying.
Intrigue: There really wasn't any time for intrigue.
Logic: It kept within it's own logic I think.
Enjoyment: Ended up giving this a 3 star. If this had been a full fledge novel. I could see myself liking it a lot more, but as a novella, it falls short.
Juniper and her mother return to her mother's hometown in Denmark after the death of Juniper's father.  It becomes apparent that things are not quite right in the town and Juniper becomes entangled in monsters and rituals and danger.
My interest was peaked from the first chapter.  I'm not typically a horror reader but I enjoyed this book!  It's suspenseful and eerie but won't leave you with nightmares.  The plot progressed quickly and was not predictable.   If you enjoy a lot of character development then this book might not be for you.  I found the characters to be a little one dimensional but it works for the progression of events.
I especially liked an unexpected twist at the end!  This would make a great movie.
This book was very interesting. It started out slow but as the story unfolded it became a book that was hard to put down. The author Alex Grecian wrote this story so well, about a grieving mother and daughter who travel from America to Denmark ( the mothers childhood home) while discovering something evil and sinister lurking in a small farming town. Laura's daughter Juniper receives an heirloom box that holds a secret about her family. It was a short but thrilling book that had me on edge right up to the last page! I give 'One Eye Open' a 5/5 , it's great if you like short stories and I plan to read more books by Alex Grecian. His writing is thrilling but graphic as well.  The ending had me absolutely stunned!
I recieved an ARC from Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving a review.
I loved the author's historical crime fiction series, and the premise of One Eye Open looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a try.
First, I still can't figure out the target audience. It felt like YA but not exactly? Maybe like a Goosebumps book for adults?
I think it might be considered novella length, so it was a nice quick read. Fast but evenly paced. Despite not having a lot of time to get to know the characters, they behaved in believable ways. (Juniper's dialogue was a little clunky at times, but otherwise.)
The premise was interesting. I can't say much more about it, because that would ruin it. I think it was supposed to be something of a horror story, and there are some grim elements, but in my opinion, it was more uncomfortable than anything. There were a lot of ethical questions raised and never addressed. Actually, there was a lot that went unexplained or unexplored, and while I understand that the short format doesn't exactly lend itself to lots of backstory and exposition, a little bit would have been nice.
All the action happens in the last few chapters. The big reveal didn't exactly come out of nowhere, but it all happened so fast that it didnt really have much impact.
The tone shifts from almost  meditation on grief and loss to a schlocky gory horror. It was jarring, but not in a good way.
I will say, despite not enjoying the ending, I appreciate how the epilogue closely mirrored the prologue. It was a neat bit of writing.

I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, but I did like the unusual premise and the care the author took in getting the setting right.
***TW FOR SELFHARM*** Very fast pace, weird in all the good ways. I loved how the story reveals parts of the plot and it all starts to make sense and then THAT plot twist !!!!!!! A short fast read that I really enjoyed and really looking forward to check out more from the author.
Alex Grecian had not been on my radar until I picked this story up on Netgalley (in exchange for an honest review) but I am glad they are now!

This is a quick read that surprised me in some really great ways. After the death of her husband, Laura and her teenage daughter Juniper go to the Danish village where Laura grew up. Laura's mother Charlotte has just passed away, and she needs to tend to their family farm. The village has some major "creepy shenanigans" vibes from the outset, and things get weirder the longer they stay.

I don't want to give too much away, but when the reason for the weirdness comes to light, it is delightful. I was properly grossed out on more than one occasion, and the illustrations  were very good and added an extra ick factor during certain scenes. I flew through the last half of the book, and was legitimately blindsided by the ending, which was pretty dang satisfying.

If you are a fan of weird and/or folk horror, I recommend trying this one out!
I grabbed this on netgalley because I was looking for something different to read, and the premise sounded really interesting, but this one fell a little flat for me. I did enjoy parts of it, but I found parts to be a bit confusing and not explained well enough, and I didn't really find it scary at all (although this could be more because I do have a high tolerance when it comes to horror in fiction). I didn't see the twist coming, although maybe I should have, so that was really interesting, and I appreciated that a lot. Overall, this was a quick read that was somewhat enjoyable, and if you are new to horror, this might be a good one to start with, since it is so short.
Good short story, especially for Halloween.  Good character development and lots of details. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Great read i think it was a quick short read but it was very good, This girl goes with her mom to live in this house that her mother used to live in before she passed an they own a lot of land. I liked the parts where Juniper started seeing things, talking to her dad who actually passed away, she starts noticing strange things occuring on the farm an house. It was spooky but I read so fast to see what would happen at the end I did enjoy it.
Thank you for letting me read this book!
I was intrigued after reading the description for Alex Grecian’s One Eye Open. I’m not sure if it should be called a long short story or a novella, but whatever you call it I enjoyed the heck out of it. One Eye Open tells the story of Laura Roux who returns to her childhood home in Denmark along with her daughter, Juniper, after the tragic loss of her husband. Juniper quickly learns there is more than meets the eye to the sleepy little farming village, something quite dark and unnatural. The story is creepy and atmospheric, and I absolutely loved the use of Scandinavian folklore.
     Thanks to TKO Studios and NetGalley for the chance to read and review an eARC of One Eye Open.
One Eye Open by Alex Grecian reminded me of The Monkey’s Paw by WW Jacobs. Their basic ideas were pretty similar.

Charlotte Jessen dies under mysterious circumstances, killed perhaps by her husband of 42 years, Tor. Her daughter, Laura Roux, returns to her childhood home with her teenage daughter, Juniper, two days after her mother’s funeral. The mother and daughter are recovering from a tragedy. Laura’s husband, Jacob, was killed in a tragic accident while attempting to teach Juniper how to drive.

They are here for good, although Juniper doesn’t know it initially. Laura hopes this will be their new beginning.

But Juniper is not happy with having to move to this small village in Denmark, away from her life in the US. To make things worse, she finds the townsfolk rather odd, every one of them behaving suspiciously.

Then Juniper comes to know of a horrible tradition that has prevailed over centuries. One that arose out of the need to ensure that there are enough hands to reap the harvest that the endless wheat fields in the village are blessed with.

But that’s the thing about tradition. It has to be repeated.

The book is written in the third person limited PoV of Laura, Juniper and Kaspar.

This was my first attempt at reading horror. It was disturbing but so well written that I just kept on reading. Who would have thought something as innocuous as wheat fields could induce a feeling of discomfort and horror? But the author has done it.

He has created the image of an insular community, holding dangerous secrets that have the power to turn against the community.

Most prologues are completely unnecessary, but here, the Prologue hitches us in, creating the right mix of intrigue and dread. Very quickly, we realise that something is terribly wrong.

Nine of the chapters began with beautiful watercolour illustrations that set its characters deeper in our minds. Of course, to be honest, I didn’t need the illustrations. My own imagination was doing a pretty good job of throwing up images to upset me. Having said that, I must say the illustrations were superb and added to the impact created by the book.

The writing was good, and the issues that it discussed, death, grief and loss are such as to resonate with all of us, particularly when the loss has been a sudden one. The accident which caused the death of Jacob was painful to read. We can relate to the pain of the mother and daughter.

Just one mistake, in Chapter 9, Kaspar turned into Konrad.

I couldn’t quite understand the title, One Eye Open. Perhaps it refers to the warning, Sleep with one eye open.
Laura and her daughter Juniper have return to Laura's hometown in Denmark after a family tragedy.  In this farming community nothing is as it seems.
This was a enjoyable short story with a underlying creepy aspect.
Thank you to NetGalley for a copy of this book for review.