Cover Image: Crazy

Crazy

Barrett's memoir reflecting on her process of discovering that she has Dissociative Identify Disorder and beginning therapy to address it is written in a way that puts you right in her mind with her. Her ability to do this allows readers to somewhat experience the uncomfortable nature of not feeling in control of one's self. Barrett included various aspects of her life, from parenting to working, with her mental illness and I really appreciated that she demonstrated that, even with severe mental illness, individuals can still be successful in areas of their lives, even when they feel everything else is a failure. I also appreciated that Barrett covered her entire process, from first feeling like she was "losing her sanity" to finding success through therapy in addressing her mental illness. Finally, for those looking to read this book who suffer with a history of trauma, Barrett doesn't specifically recall her trauma in clear memories. There are a couple scenes that break through for her that give a vague glimpse into the type of trauma she may have experienced, but she never fully describes her trauma history. I know this may be important for those who have specific triggers to be aware of ahead of time.
Thank you to NetGalley for this digital ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Wow. This was incredibly fascinating on every level.

Lyn Barrett begins her memoir in her early, normal adulthood: girl meets boy, they fall in love, they have children. But, when she realizes that her husband was cheating on her, Lyn’s mental health begins to unravel. A shell of the person and mother she once was, Lyn discovers through years of therapy and support that she suffers from dissociative identity disorder, or what was known at the time as multiple personality disorder, a symptom of severe trauma. Lyn takes us through her experiences of ultimate self realization and trauma healing in a memoir that is both very personal and educational.

I truly appreciated everything about this. It was gripping from the very start, particularly when she went into detail about how she went about each of her alters.

Obviously, I recommend assessing your own nervous system going in. As someone who has a lot more capacity these days, I still found quite a bit triggering. However, she still does not remember big details from her trauma, which is common.

I definitely recommend this one for anyone interested in mental health and my fellow trauma nerds.
I couldn't finish reading this book. What I did read I found to be too slow-paced to hold my interest and somewhat confusing, especially when describing her thoughts. I'm incredibly interested in learning about different mental health conditions, like DID, but this memoir couldn't hold my attention unfortunately.
2 stars

This book could be great but it starts out slow and kind of confusing.  Didn’t make it half way. May pick back up later.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
Dissociative Identify Disorder is a fascinating psychological disorder. This author's experience with meeting and learning about her multiples is an eye opening read. The therapist she meets with to unravel the tangled web of who she really is, did an amazing job helping her understand her multiples.
"Crazy" by Lyn Barrett is a first-person account on living with DID, an often misunderstood phenomena. The author takes us on a journey through realising she has multiple alters, getting to know them, understanding them, and - what seems to be of a great value to her - trying to find out what events caused her mind to create them.

It is an interesting self-case study that covers quite a long period of time, filled with therapeutic intervention, facing several hardships and finally coming to peace with one's history. It is very maturely written and definitely an engaging read.

However, for me, in some points "Crazy" lacked certain sensitivity. For example insisting on calling a suicide attempt not resulting in death "unsuccessful", or not reflecting on the poor parenting (from both parents) that resulted in a lot of alarming behaviours of children.