Cover Image: Sisters Behaving Badly

My rating:
1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars[ 5 of 5 stars ]
by Maddie Please
 4.28  ·   Rating details ·  50 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Maddie Please's latest novel 'Sisters Behaving Badly' is a glorious romp that readers will adore. It's a story of quarrelsome siblings, second chances, a fabulous location and growing old disgracefully. Maddie's warmth and humour will put a smile on your face and leave you relishing Kitty and Jenny's hilarious adventures in a French farmhouse' Bestselling author Judy Leigh ...more
GET A COPY
Shelves	read edit
Format	ebook edit
Status
November 19, 2021 – Finished Reading2 Show more
Review	I have read, reviewed and loved a few of Maddie’s books now. I love the way in which Maddie writes such feel good and fun stories. I read the synopsis for ‘Sisters Behaving Badly’ and it certainly sounded as though it was going to be another cracking read. Well it was that and so much more. I absolutely loved reading ‘Sisters Behaving Badly’ but more about that in a bit.
I loved the characters of Kitty and Jenny, who are sisters and who are both in their sixties. The sisters used to be close but for one reason and another they have had little contact with each other. Their Auntie has sadly passed away and it is left to Kitty and Jenny to sort out their aunt’s affairs and to decide what to do with her house. This forces the two sisters to spend quite a lot of time together and eventually they do start talking. Once the sisters start talking, there is a chance that they will get back to being friends as well as sisters. What happens? Well for the answer to that question and so much more you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out as I am not going to tell you.
The synopsis grabbed my attention and as soon as I started reading, I knew that I was going to seriously enjoy reading ‘’Sisters Behaving Badly’. To say that reading this book became addictive is a bit of an understatement. Once I started reading, I found it difficult to stop. I would pick the book up only intending to read a chapter or two but I would become so wrapped up in the story and in the lives of the two sisters, that I would still be sat there reading several chapters and an hour or so later. I loved the fact that the sisters were talking about old times and that despite their ages, they are still up for a laugh and in a way I sensed that they wanted to grow old disgracefully, which sounds like a plan to me! I couldn’t turn the pages of the story quickly enough as I raced my way to the end of the book. I found ‘Sisters Behaving Badly’ to be a delight to read. It was a fun and light hearted book, which was the perfect ‘pick me up’ tonic that I needed.
‘Sisters Behaving Badly’ is superbly written but then I have come to expect nothing less from Maddie Please. Maddie has one of those easy going writing styles that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with. In fact reading one of Maddie’s books feels more like a chat between friends rather than reading an actual book. I hope that makes sense. Maddie clearly cares about her characters and this shines through in the way in which she describes them in the book. She describes her characters so realistically and vividly that they seem just as real as you and I. I also love the way in which Maddie makes the reader feel as if they are part of the story themselves and at the heart of the action so to speak.
In short, I absolutely loved reading ‘Sisters Behaving Badly’ and I would recommend it to other readers. I will certainly be reading more of Maddie’s work in the future. The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Thank you Boldwood Books and NetGalley for the digital ARC in return for my honest review.
I’ve enjoyed a few Boldwood books in the past that’s similar to this. But, this book just wasn’t there for me. I kept putting it down and picking it back up but, I just couldn’t get into.
Jenny and Kitty are typical of so many sisters who let small quarrels and perceived slights push each other away. The reality is, do we really know what is going on in each other's lives? This is a lovely, bittersweet book that is full of laughter and tears.
Great story of two very different sisters in their sixties inheriting a very rundown farmhouse in France when they are not even speaking to each other!  A lovely humorous book that keeps your interest throughout with great characters and I loved to see their interaction with each other.... sisters!
Very funny and refreshing story of two sisters, Kitty and Jenny, who have hilarious adventures. Set in France at a farmhouse that is pretty much falling apart. The sisters learn to make the most of their relationship and discover that having fun and "being bad" isn't all bad.
I really loved this book … from the rural French setting and lovable characters to the genuine dynamics and relationships between them.

I appreciate that this story was told from the perspective of the “wild” sister because so often I feel that the narrator or protagonist in these types of stories tend to be the “quiet, reserved” sister who only witnesses the antics of the crazier one.

This is a love story of self love, love between family and romantic love. The story also includes a later-in-life realization that maybe one deserves better than the status quo and I liked that a lot.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read and review this book!
I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from this bright, sunny cover other than the fact it featured two sisters reuniting at an inherited house. I was hoping for humour and heartwarming content and I certainly got some of that.

Kitty and Jenny haven’t spoken for years but when they both inherit a farmhouse in France from their aunt, they’re forced to reunite. Now in their sixties, the sisters are now tasked with fixing up the farmhouse which is a mess. Chickens run riot in the garden, the pool needs restoring and there are copious amounts of paintings in the attic which no one knows what to do with. Kitty is determined to have fun, which is amped up when French builder Leo comes to work on the house. Jenny is just happy to be away from overbearing husband Paul and is on a mission to reunite with her son while she’s in France. Can the sisters repair the house and their relationship?

Jenny and Kitty bicker a lot and I couldn’t help but smile at that. Even when they’re well into later life, siblings never stop picking holes in each other and there’s something deeply comforting in that knowledge. They felt like very real sisters and despite the fact they’ve not spoken for years, there is an undeniable love underneath the arguments. I had no doubt that they’d find each other again.

I loved listening to them reminisce about their childhood and shared memories because I knew that this would be what fixed their fractured relationship. I felt like I really got to know them through this too and I would have loved more of these funny asides to the main plot.

Kitty has been married three times but has no children and she seems to have a lot of regrets about that. I felt her sadness whenever she began to wonder how different her life would be, if she’d been a mother. I know that women like Kitty exist and like her, they do what they can with a life that they didn’t necessarily want or plan. Ultimately, we can only do the best we can with what fate deals us and not live a bitter, tiny life when it doesn’t give us the things we hoped for.

There is some lovely, warm, British humour in it and that felt like a wonderful cuddle. Kitty has a charming eccentricity and Jenny has become a downtrodden wife to the controlling Paul, so I loved both of them in different ways. Kitty provided the laughs and Jenny became the cause to big up and help.

Rural France is depicted as a sun-kissed, quiet escape from the rest of the world. Kitty and Leo go to a village market and it’s everything that I’d expect a local French market to be. I love stories set in these little, secluded communities because there’s something a bit special and romantic about them. Maddie Please definitely did a great job of creating a setting that I wanted to spend time in and explore.

I wanted more from the plot. There were times in the narrative where nothing much was happening and I was just willing the story to pick up. I also think that most of the French characters were quite stereotypical, so it would have been nice to have more of a variety of personalities.

Sisters Behaving Badly is a bright, fun read that slowly meanders to a revelation that emerging from comfort zones is always a good idea. It’s about family, fixing what was broken, second chances and finding true happiness. It’s escapist and quirky, so if that’s what you need this winter, pick it up!
Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and Boldwood Books for an e-ARC of this novel in exchange for my review.
A side-splittingly hilarious romp perfect for losing yourself in on a cold winter day, Maddie Please’s delightful new novel Sisters Behaving Badly is gold-plated escapism at its finest.

Kitty and Jenny might be sisters, but they couldn’t be more different. The two of them haven’t spoken for quite some time after a disastrous Carvery lunch, but might an unexpected inheritance force them to put their differences aside and repair their fragmented relationship? Not bloody likely! While Kitty thinks Jenny needs to live a little and stop acting like an old maid, Jenny reckons that her sister needs to stop being so immature and grow up!

The sisters think that in France they are going to find a beautiful house straight out of an interiors magazine, but the reality is far different. The farmhouse is a wreck, the garden is completely dominated by a flock of feral chickens and they seem to have inherited a donkey with serious gastrointestinal problems. But it’s not all doom and gloom in France…

As fun-loving Kitty begins flirting up a storm with handsome French builder Leo, Jenny discovers a fully-stocked cellar that she is keen to get to know better. Under the dizzying French skies, the sisters decide to draw a line under the past and start living life to the full.

Guaranteed to brighten up your mood and make you scream with laughter, Sisters Behaving Badly is a wonderfully funny, highly engaging and hard to put down tale full of charm and wit I couldn’t resist lapping up. Maddie Please knows how to write feel-good women’s fiction that always hits the spot and in Sisters Behaving Badly, she has penned a terrific novel about the ties that bind. growing old disgracefully and living it up where the pages simply turn themselves.

Hard to put down and a joy from beginning to end, Maddie Please’s Sisters Behaving Badly is not to be missed.
I DNF'd after reading only 15 pages. It was not for me. I was not a fan of the writing style and I just wasn't feeling like I HAD to know what was going to happen next
Reading this reminded me of the movie - White Christmas with Rosemary Clooney.  The sisters in this movie get along much better than the two sisters in this story.

Kitty and Jennie are sisters that have had past misunderstandings. This trip to France was a chance for them to reconnect.

It was quite comical at times!  I enjoyed how Kitty and Jenny discovered the possibilities before them and realizing getting older isn't that bad!!

I received this ebook to review from Boldwood Books.  #blogtour #BoldwoodBooks
Based on the title of this book I expected something a little different, but I guess it just goes to show what one person sees as “bad” is not always seen that way by others. Perhaps the fights the sisters had were what could be considered as them behaving badly or maybe Kitty was behaving “badly”, but if that’s the case then I think we should all be “bad”. I want to be just like Kitty one day and I think we can all learn something from her look on life!

What to expect:

✅ an absolutely delightful main character Kitty telling the story of her adventures in France with her sister Jenny

✅ a renovation of a country home

✅ the special and at times difficult bond between sisters who have lived completely different lives, neither thinking highly about the choices of the other

✅ emphasis that age is just a number, there is no such thing as acting your age or being too old to do something

✅ making the most of every situation… staying positive and having a laugh especially when things go wrong

✅ romance and drama in the form of difficult relationships both romantic and with other family members

✅ a lot of humor and laugh out loud moments… I giggled and burst out laughing a few times while reading this book!

It was so easy to imagine this book as an audible book that would have me smiling and laughing a lot and at some point when I need an uplifting fun listen I will definitely listen to this story, despite already knowing how it will end.
Favorite Quotes:

He had also grown a really unattractive beard, which was a shame as he was a nice-looking chap. I couldn’t understand this new passion for face fungus.

The newcomer smiled, his teeth as yellow as his donkey’s… The donkey joined in with an impressive bray and Bertrand smiled broadly, showing several more impressive teeth the donkey might have envied.

It was surprising the way the younger generation had taken to tattoos; it used to be just salty old sea dogs who had them. Should I get one? I wondered. And if I did, what would it be? A Chinese proverb, perhaps, but no, I had heard of someone getting one that was eventually translated as chicken chow mein.

Hugo the Pool Boy… was probably about fifty with a grizzled beard and matching shock of hair that was held back with a pink unicorn hair band.

Sometimes, out of the blue, someone comes into your life who makes you sit up and take notice. A person who makes your heart flutter and your thoughts race. More often than not it’s a policeman behind you on the motorway, but sometimes it’s someone like Léo.

My Review:

I frequently giggle-snorted and cackled aloud as I made my way through this delightfully spirited and cleverly amusing tale of dueling sisters.  I adore and covet the agile pen and sly wit of Maddie Please. Her storylines zip and zing with sparkling humor and snarky observations.  I was highly entertained and resented any interruption to my perusal; I should be ashamed to say there was actual hissing involved at one point.  There was one item mentioned that gave me considerable pause and consternation, and fearing the worst, I was compelled to consult Mr. Google about chocolate sardines as I’d never heard of such a thing.  Sweet relief, no actual fish are involved.
I love these book with sisters and family in a great read loved every page enjoyed it so much full of laughter great chemistry great writing style you love
by: Maddie Please
Boldwood Books

When extreme opposite sisters Kitty and Jenny find themselves sharing a somewhat neglected French farmhouse near the sea, there's bound to be quarrels, laughter, and lots of wine and cheese. Younger sister Kitty is single, has a sense of humor, and likes to knit, read, and garden. Jenny, who can navigate roundabouts, is a wife and mother who wears cardigans and is never late. Both are "sixty-something". Their trip to France together to take care of their late Aunt Sheila's estate becomes an adventure in bonding, soul searching, and self-discovery.
Author Maddie Please's story of sisterhood is funny and entertaining, yet poignant and touching. As Kitty and Jenny settle in their new surroundings, they encounter mayhem, mishaps, and misunderstandings, leading to both amusement and discomfort.
The story is well-paced and enjoyable,  with lots of interesting side characters, animals, gardening, and home renovations.  I loved the moments that the sisters spent in their beloved Aunt's rural home together, talking, giggling, and sharing innermost feelings over food and beverages. Although other relationships are explored, sisterly bonding is the heart of this satisfying story.
Thank you to Net Galley and Boldwood Books for the advance reader's copy and the opportunity to provide my unbiased review.
#SistersBehavingBadly #NetGalley
This book really lives up to its name and is a great read for this time of the year. Loved everything about it. 5 stars.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this e ARC
When Jenny and Kitty, two sisters in their sixties, are left their aunt’s house in the French countryside, they have to travel there together and decide what to do about the place. The sisters haven’t been talking to each other and no having to renovate the house before they sell proves to be a difficult task. They do try to broker some peace to make things work, but the hurt runs deep. Also they have two very different personalities. While Jenny is very by the book, Kitty is more carefree and adventurous. Jenny also has a very demanding and judgmental husband, who has gone to the extent of cutting their son off from them.

The story is essentially about these two sisters finding their way back to each other and in many ways rebuilding their own self-esteem while they renovate.

I loved all the characters and with a flatulent donkey, some crazy chickens and some very charming French builders thrown in to the mix, this is a hilarious read. Yet, it also underlines that it’s never too late to change or forgive and move forward.
There’s nothing like a book to make you feel cozy as the autumn days get ready to make way to winter. When feuding sisters Kitty and Jenny are tasked with fixing up their deceased aunt’s French farmhouse, Kitty knows it will be a chore. Not just the repairs, but dealing with her sister Jenny. But it’s been a few years, and she wants to repair her relationship with her sister. But these two sisters are night and day, and that might be a tall order for them.

Please wrote these characters well. Jenny is the complete opposite of me. She’s too rigid, with a controlling husband, and she doesn’t appear to have any joy in her life. Please wrote her unlikability well, and if ever there was a character to help Jenny out, it was lighthearted Kitty. I enjoyed watching the sisters work together while trying to navigate their relationship. The added bonus of Kitty meeting a love interest made an already cozy book feel that much cozier. Overall, this book makes you feel good. It’s lighthearted, funny, and endearing.
5☆ Charming, Witty and Full of Humour

Estranged Sisters Kitty & Jenny have come together to travel to France, to fix up their Aunt Sheila’s farmhouse.
She passed away and they have inherited it with the plan to sell.

Things are not exactly a bed of roses between them and the snide and witty remarks from both Sisters, show there not quiet ready to forgive and forget!
But Kitty is determined to make their relationship better and move on.
She misses her sister and hopes this trip away from Jenny's overbearing and controlling husband Paul, will bring them closer together.

I loved watching Kitty and Jenny's relationship grow, both are so very different,
Kitty is carefree and not so cautious and Jenny comes across at first as obnoxious and stuck up but a lot of that has to do with how downtrodden Paul has made her without realising it.
Yet within time you could see the ice melt between them.

I absolutely loved this story it was Heartwarming, Witty, a few crazy Antics, Plenty of Humour, some loveable animals and a charming house with oodles of character, set within a stunning location, what's not to love!
This is a fun, lighthearted read and utterly captivating.  I found laughter bubbling up as I visualised some of the scenarios with plenty of funny situations.  Delightful book to escape with on a glum November day with quirky characters in Brittany.  Some more serious poignant issues beneath the antics but addressed with humour which totally lifted the plot.  I just wanted the book to carry on, I was so immersed in the antics of Kitty and Jenny as they find a way to reassess their lives and relationships all helped with some very expensive bottles of wine.