Cover Image: George Orwell's 1984

George Orwell's 1984

This is an excellent graphic novel based on George Orwell's 1984. For those who have not read the book, I suggest going and reading the original then picking up Matyáš Namai's brilliant interpretation.
The images are stark black and white with flashes of red used sparingly to draw attention. T
I really appreciated the graphic novel take on this classic! I think it makes it more accessible and approachable to younger readers while garnering interest of those who may have read it before.
Part of our curriculum focuses on 1984 at KS3. Some students struggle with the novel so this is a perfect companion. I think a lot of students will enjoy this.
I didn’t really enjoy the art or layout of this graphic novel. It made the story a bit difficult to follow.
1984: The Graphic Novel is another graphic novel adaptation of George Orwell's 1949 classic.

The adaptation is done quite well. It's a text-heavy graphic novel, with pages and pages of the book-within-a-book placed straight on the pages, with illustrations in the margins. Even these pages, which are three-quarters text, have great illustrations. The rest of the graphic novel is superbly illustrated. There are multiple pages of sheer brilliance, and even the pages that lack the most are still well done.

The adaptation does start a bit slow, but so does the novel itself, but once things get rolling, between the plot that Orwell laid out and the art Namai added, I couldn't stop myself.

Fantastic adaptation.
The drawings were really pretty and fitting for this story.
In terms of story, I still haven't read the book but I am now motivated to do so. I cannot say if the story is well adapted or not. But I can say that I enjoyed this graphic novel.
Now who doesn't just Love this Book? So when George Orwell's 1984 by George Orwell came out in a The Graphic Novel I just had to re-read this wonderful book! WoW it was brilliant throughout! This graphic novel has been done all in black, grey and white which made this book really dark well known classic. You will need to study the pictures as everyone tells a tale which did make this book darker.......So if you are a fan of 1984 which I was at school many moons ago, this is a book for you. A great find to a very old classic! - Just Brilliant!

Thanks to the publisher Palazzo Editions for providing an eARC of 1984: The Graphic Novel in exchange for an honest review.
I will no longer be reviewing this book as I am no longer interested in this. I think that others will enjoy this.
I really wanted to enjoy this but I struggled getting into it. I think some of this is to the size of review document. Unlike others this kept freezing and crashing while I was trying to read it and in the end I gave up.
Based on the beginning I think this would have been good. The art is very effective in showing the feelings or dread.
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of 1984: The Graphic Novel in exchange for an honest review.

I never read 1984. I figured this would be a good way to pretend I've read 1984. After reading it though, I'm pretty sure this only works as a companion piece, not as it's own complete story (either that or 1984 is a very hard to follow story).
Great adaptation of a classic with striking artwork, really brings it to life in such a different way
George Orwell's 1984: The Graphic Novel by George Orwell and illustrated by Matyas Namai is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in late November.

Way gritty and potent black inking with minimal color - with these visuals come an extra level of neuroticism, plaintiveness, uncertainty, and mindfuckery, and my 17-18 year old self would’ve loved this in lieu of the slim paperback copy I got for required reading in high school.
I wasn't able to view this book. It was also archived before I could try other Netgalley methods to view it.
1984 is one of my favorite stories of all time and the graphic novel did NOT disappoint. The artwork is harsh and starkly black and white with a bit of red thrown in to add some gravitas and depth to the story. I really enjoyed how all the characters were drawn and depicted and I don't think you could've done a better graphic novel adaptation of this book. It's definitely not a fly through it kind of graphic novels, like some are. You need to take time with it and really look at all the artwork as it is truly part of the story. I would highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys 1984 and is interested in seeing it in graphic novel format. This is something I would happily own and display.

Received via Netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

It was good, it  really has all the gloomy, chaotic, dystopian vibes of 1984 which is not a happy reading but here it was nicely executed. I think, perhaps, that it would be better to read the book before reading this graphic novel in order to understand everything. I liked it and I hope that they will work on a version of "Farenheit 451".
*A review copy was given by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've only read a few chapters of the book before reading the graphic novel., so I don't have much to compare it to. I've DNF-ed this book on page 210, for reasons I'll explain below.

As a graphic novel, most of the storytelling is in the art. The sparing use of colour, strategically and impactful, the art style adds to the story, invoking a sense of fear, unease and discomfort. The textures and lighting were incredible, and I wished I had more time with this book just to read it again and admire the art.

The chapter pages were brilliant, it showed the setting and the usage of perspective, making it stand out from the rest of the book. In addition to that, it also includes a beautifully crafted line that explains the chapter in a rather ominous way. It's one of my favourite parts of this book, and I could compliment it for days.

I can't tell if there are any crucial details from George Orwell's 1984 that this graphic novel might've not include, but it was good enough for me. I appreciate the way the writer and the artist chose to layout the book, especially when Mr Smith was reading the book from Goldstein. I just wished it didn't span 10 pages of just pure text, but the illustrations accompanying it at the side probably made it a little worthwhile. Still, as much as I think it was smart design-wise, long passages of text are the last thing I hope to see in a graphic novel.

Towards the end, it somewhat lost its' charm. There was far too much text to find it enjoyable. Reading this through Adobe Digital Editions on the PC made it far worse with its slow loading time and blurry text. I do not fault the book for this, but instead, it contributes to the problem that it was no longer enjoyable to read.
This book was given to me by the publishers via Netgalley in an exchange for an honest review all opinions are mine.
I think what this book was reinstate that if classics are in graphic format, it would bring a new kind of appreciation especially to the younger generation.
I loved reading this and as someone who always said...'i'll read 1984' well now i can say i have read it. Initially i had a problem with the art ( only slightly ). But as i progressed, i appreciated it and how it suited the story well.
I would recommend this to people who have read this already and want ot see it come to life in this format and for people just starting to get into reading the classics. i think the graphic novel format would make them love it.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an early ARC of 1984!!

This has always been one of my favourite books and the artwork is gorgeous. I would recommend it to any and everyone.
I read this book in grade 12, and while I think that younger students are more than capable of reading it, this graphic version has just enough nudity that it would make some people pause before giving it to students in the early high school grades.

If you are a fan of the novel, you might enjoy this. From a graphic perspective, my favourite part was seeing what real people inspired the artist when drawing the different characters. Inspiration ranged from Steve Buscemi to Winston Chuchill.

It's a bit text heavy at times for a graphic novel, but that might be expected. How would one generate the depth of political philosophy using mostly visuals. I am not sure, but this had more words than I expected.
A fantastic way to read a classic.

I first read this when I was at school and this is a great and more accessible way to tell this story.