Cover Image: Bleed More, Bodymore

Bleed More, Bodymore

Josephine (Joey) works as a mechanic in Baltimore. She jumps right into the story when she goes out on a call to pick up the car of her best friend, Wayland. Unfortunately, when she gets there, Way is nowhere to be found. Instead, she finds a dead body in the trunk. Also, she notices an inordinate amount of crows in the area, and are they actually looking at her, or is she going crazy? Thus begin Joey's adventures into the underworld of Baltimore.

First off, as this is an audiobook, I have to say that the narrator put me off a bit. First off, it was a male narrator, and the main character was female, so that just didn't work for me. Second, while Joey is a very sarcastic person (in a totally fun way), the narrator made absolutely everything she said come out sarcastic, even when that was clearly not how the line was written. It just wasn't believable.

As for the story itself, I loved it. The world building was phenomenal and the descriptions of the settings, especially anything that happened at night or in the woods, was done exceptionally well. I loved the characters and thought they were fleshed out fully for the most part. I'm looking forward to learning even more about them in the next book, fingers crossed. The pacing was very quick so this was a rapid read.

In summary, I recommend this book to fans of horror stories with just the right amount of snark thrown in for good measure. You might want to read the book itself instead of listening to the audiobook if narration is important to you.

3/5 stars.

I received a copy of this audiobook free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
The summary of this book enticed me but once I started listening to it I couldn't wrap my head around it. Like I tried hard to grasp the emotions and all but it was jumbled up.
Thank you Netgalley for approving my request.
This isn't my usual type of book, but the summary really appealed (and the cover is also great) so I had to give it a go. The writing style is great - incredibly easy with a nice rhythm, which the narrator flowed through beautifully. The set-up was also intriguing and felt incredibly real. I didn't connect with the main character Joey much, but the plot was solid enough, and ended up being quite engaging and unique. At first I was confused about where it was all going, but then as we got towards the finale I was fully invested and could see that the book had the potential to set up a series, which I am unsure if I'd continue on in. It's not that it's a bad book, it just wasn't something that truly captivated me.
This was one emotional read/audiobook. So mixed up. I wasn't crazy about it yet once I started it, I had to know what happened. If you get upset easy or depressed, don't read it. It's depressing as hell! At times it didnt make good sense. The characters weren't likeable at all. I liked Charon and Val. Really liked Jagger. There was so much repeated dialog.  Like Joey's dad saying same thing over and over. But I think it was meant for her to finally grow some balls and tell him off instead of being beat down.

The whole underlying story is about the underworld existing underneath the city of Baltimore. At times it seems the living and dead bleed into each other. Maybe that's why the title? I felt so messed up so I guess it did its job for a shock effect. Spoilers here. So I don't understand how a dead guy could kill the living. The whole story is disjointed and doesn't make sense. There's no flow and no storyline. It's like waking from a bad dream you dreamed in parts all night long repeating things and jumping into something else. It has potential but I'm sorry. I feel like I read an author's notes for a book is all.

But I had the worst problem with the main character, Josephine. She has a job and is trying to overcome a horrid life. I get it's hard to drag yourself up from that. But she is so immature and who skateboards to work unless you're a teenager? I got so tired of poor old me story. Almost like she wanted everything handed to her. She is bitter like anyone would be but there's a time in everyone's life they are old enough to choose the life they want and do something about it. No matter how bad, they can choose to be bad or good. I know someone who did. The worst part I got most tired of was the cop bashing. It's a little overdone and same sentences throughout. I understand there's had ones and I get this is fiction but the animosity is too much. They aren't all bad. The good ones don't deserve this and they certainly do want to help people and don't go looking for someone to harass. Most things the MC griped about was stuff she should've been harassed about. And she never gave them a chance. Always bitter and attacking from the start.

This book just centers on the regrets and depressions of a life one lives full of sadness and depravity only to realize when it's too late just how wrong they're been. There are just no redeeming factors to the story. There was great potential for at least a little bit but it just never happened. I tried to like it but I just couldn't.

The narrator was wonderful. I loved his voice but it really needed a female narrator.
This book was not my cup of tea.  I didn't find myself bonding with the characters or with their direction.  I was not enjoying the plot either.  Overall I wanted to enjoy this book, but it never gelled for me and I wish it had.
Bleed More, Bodymore by Ian Kirkpatrick Narrator Kieran Regan Length: 9 hrs and 4 mins.This is the first book in the Bodymore Series and I loved it. I was Hooked from the very first chapter I listened to. The narrator was excellent throughout. I have never read or heard of this author but glad I did I loved this book. It will not be the last I listen to or read.

I highly recommend this book especially if you love Horror spooky stories with comedy Twist.

Big Thank you to Ian Kirkpatrick, Steak House Books and Net Galley for a free advanced review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I received this as an audio galley to listen to for free in exchange for my honest review. Thank you to NetGalley and Steak House Books for giving me access.

This one was a bit different and I am ok with it. The MC is sassy and independent, which I love. The storyline was unique and Kirkpatrick did a good job at spinning a tale of a different plane of afterlife.

A great listen for those that love stories about afterlife and darkness.
I received a free copy via NetGalley for an honest review.

First off let me start by stating this was the audiobook version, rather than the usual book. And I think that’s where I went wrong.

The concept of this book is amazing, but to me it doesn’t translate to amazing in the audiobook. My main issue was with the voice of the reader (sorry to the person who’s voice it is!). The picture in my head was not at all who the character was. Despite reading the blurb and it telling me the lead character was female, I assumed the lead character to be male until it was obviously stated. This was because the character comes across as what society would consider ‘masculine’ and I don’t know if a lot of my gender assumptions were down to the voice of the reader (I’m down with female mechanics!)

And again, the lead character was just annoyingly whiney, and I couldn’t like her but was this just the voice of the reader? On the plus side, I did think the reader let the main characters attitude and bad-assery shine through.

The concept is the underbelly of Baltimore being death central (where you cross over into the underworld by accident if you’re not careful!)
You have a little Greek  mythology thrown in with Charon, and he’s still reaping souls as he should- albeit with a lazy attitude of ‘welp, can’t find them so I’m not going to go looking too hard!’. This leaves dead souls wandering the earth until they’re caught and dragged off by Charon to meet their maker. Sometimes these souls get a little violent.

Interestingly …
*SPOILER*

Her dad is one of those souls. Didn’t see that coming! So I was very confused when she talked about him and his gun years earlier.

I would like to read the actual book myself because I feel I would understand it and enjoy it a lot better. And with that being said, as a book rather than audiobook, I will look forward to the second instalment.
Joey, a drop out and a mechanic at a body shop in the city of Baltimore, lives with her alcoholic father and seems to live anything but a glamorous life. One night she receives a phonecall from her best friend Waylon saying that his car needs to be picked up. When she arrives, Waylon is oddly nowhere to be found, just the stalled out car. She wasn't prepared for what was going to happen after that. After a short time, a smell was noticed coming from the vehicle. Upon further investigation, she finds something totally unexpected. A body. This can't be right. Waylon would never do anything like that. The police, or badges as she and her boyfriend Jag refer to them as, believe otherwise. He is not the prime suspect of a murder. It doesn't stop there. Things get even stranger. Waylon has gone MIA, but continues to text Joey asking her where she is. Between that, the sudden uptake in Ravens around the city, and falling into what appears be an underground city of the dead, Joey has no idea what to believe anymore. How much stranger can things get? Can Joey find Waylan and figure this all out before she ends up looking like the body in the back of the car?
Thank you Netgalley, Steak House Books, and Ian Kirkpatrick for the opportunity to read and review this book. I was given a copy of the audio version. I really liked the narrator Kieran Regan. This book sucked me in almost instantly. I really loved the storyline and the whole concept of this book. It was very original and I really enjoyed it. I rate it ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This really started out intense and I wanted more. However as the story went on I became more and more confused, but I think that plays into the story. Because we don't know what's going on and they want it that way.  Horror is not typically my genre of choice, but it was interesting to see what was going to happen. I wish I could have gone a little further in time to see how this all worked out. I listened to the book. The narrator did a good job and it was easy to listen to.
I struggled to get into this book. The narrator wasn't great and I don't think he did the book justice.
The main character Joey, gets a call from her best friend to pick up his abandoned car from  Leakin Park, Baltimore - the place infamous for body dumping - which she does, only to find upon closer inspection....A DEAD BODY IN THE BOOT and the best friend now missing.
Best friend missing, a dead body and the feeling of being watched, the hunt to find out what's happened reveals something isn't right in the town of Baltimore.
This would be better as a physical book or ebook for sure and I wouldn't mind picking a copy up in the future
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review

First of all, where is the plot of this book?
Someone please tell me o didn't just listen for 5hours+ and still didn't understand what was happening. I'm way ahead of myself, let's begin.

Bleed more Bodymore begins when Joey a mechanic in Baltimore finds a dead body inside her best friend's car.

I thought this book was going to be some mystery thriller sort of thing but frankly I don't know what it is.
The narrator did a good job but I cringed whenever he voiced our Joey's dialogues.

The way the writer describes Joey, she's an independent girl, has a lip piercing, rides a skateboard. I mean I already liked her because I thought she'd be bad ass. But she just came off as this tired teenage girl who has no direction whatsoever.

Now like I said I don't know what the plot of this book is. Joey the main character spends the first 10 chapters looking for Wylan. Then she discovers there's a city of the dead beneath her own city.

And all of a sudden I'm seeing that Joey is actually dead and that her abusive father is an escapee from the city of the dead. In my opinion, this book would have been better if it was told in a third person point of view. I mean maybe we would have see what happened to Wylan, or why Joey is a walking dead girl with an abusive father.

I don't get it, in the end she decides to work for the from reaper to find escapee souls. Should I tag it fantasy or thriller, I have no idea because I didn't understand the plot.

The Characters on the other hand were worse. Joey and her I don't care about the world attitude put me off. Yes, we get it, you don't like people but dude chill. There's also Jagger (I'm not sure of the spelling since it's an audiobook I got) who works with Joey in the mechanic shop.

There's a brewing relationship between them but honestly it felt like Joey was teasing him. Maybe it was because she was a walking dead. Get it?.

This book didn't do anything for me. In my honest opinion the idea is great but it just didn't flesh out well.
Bleed More, Bodymore is quite the interesting book. I’m sad to say that I can’t rate it very high because honestly, I was confused the majority of the time. I understood the general concepts, but the specifics and time line were so confusing to me. The writing style was very stream of consciousness, which was a little too rambly for my confused brain. I liked the other world of the dead, the mystery of the story, and the personality of the characters. The narrator also did an excellent job portraying emotion and true dedication to reading the book.

Overall, it’s a 2/5 stars for me.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced listening copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* im not sure what it was but it was hard for me to get into this book? and the lip ring reminded me of inception lol
This has been a journey. At the middle of the book, it has some “Corpse bride” vibes, which, as a Tim Burton fan, I really appreciate. It’s the perfect book for Halloween time. Besides that, I like the folklor about the ravens and grim stuff. I think this book is dark, sometimes spooky, and it has it’s hilarious moments. Oh, and don’t fogert the amount of dramatic moments (which I liked a lot). I’m still having some trouble finding out if I like the protagonist or not, she’s got some attitude, and she would irritate me a lot, but she would also be sweet and brave. I had the chance to read the digital copy and listen to the audio book. The audiobook is total different experience, I enjoyed it most. So well narrated, it kept me intrigued the whole time. I highly recomend to give it a try, because it’s so good.
Thank you to NetGalley for this audio ARC. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

The concept of this book was what drew me to it. It was an interesting idea that I hadn't come across before so I was excited to listen to this  just to see how it would play out. However, I think the execution wasn't quite there. It needed to be explained a bit more. The characters I thought weren't fully fleshed out, expecially the MC. She's sassy, sarcastic and she's definitely scrappy but she was also all over the place. Although I thought this was a well paced book, it was also confusing at times. I think with a bit more thought this could have been a really good book, it just lacked the execution.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t get into this book. I tried on and off over the last two months to listen to it while painting, driving, cleaning, and even just sitting to listen and I just couldn’t get into it.
I was really excited to listen to a horror/thriller on audio, but the narrator was really monotone and unenthusiastic, it was a struggle to get through it. The main character, Joey, is female (which I didn’t even realize until some gendered comments from other characters) but the audiobook narrator is male, and it felt like he really struggled to embody the character’s personality other than just being… dry. The stream of consciousness narration was really hard to follow at certain points, and Joey’s character is honestly just kind of rude. I’m sure that was probably intended, with her tough, not-like-other-girls attitude, but it wasn’t enjoyable.

None of the characters really held my interest, and I found myself not really caring what happened to them. The main plot of the story sounded really interesting, so I was disappointed that it didn’t keep me hooked at all. I may consider trying to read the Kindle version of Bleed More, Bodymore at some point and see if my opinion of the characters and the story overall change… but as for the audiobook, I DNF because it was physically painful to listen to the narrator.
Hopefully the text version is better than the audio if I decide to pick it up again.
One star for audiobook, two stars in hopes that the text version is better.
I really enjoyed this one a lot and hope to read more from this author very soon. Fun, scary, with some supernatural, all around a totally relatable and awesome character that I would love to read more about in the future.
*I received this book for free through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Very disorienting, slow, and nothing develops.

I could never get into this. It isn't any fun when I never know where I am at and why. If it wasn't for the narrator, I wouldn't even have a clue about what was happening. The author does a good job of setting up an atmosphere. But a lot of the talk of the city and the main character's lip ring are repetitive.

Even though I liked the narrator, the main character is female (Joey). The narrator is male, which made this confusing. There wasn't enough about Joey (physical descriptions or otherwise). I never connected with her or cared about any of the characters.

This book needs a lot of work. It feels like this is the first attempt. And they just threw the outline together and put chapter numbers here and there. No questions get answered and nothing kept me hooked. I also think this leans towards a mystery, not a horror novel. Overall, even if this was redone, I can't see it being more than a 2.5-star book.
I received this book from Netgalley front honest review, and I would like to thank the author, the publisher, for allowing me early access.

The premise of second chances is heartwarming, particularly given its relation to the paranormal.
. I also enjoyed the overall concept of the ghost town with refills and ravens. And how that related to the soul collection. My affinity for the Macrab exceptionally played to throughout the narrative of the story. The issue I had came in the form of the writing style being a bit more of a stream-of-consciousness. The writing style choice gave difficulties orientation myself where I was in the story.