Cover Image: My Wife Is Missing

My Wife Is Missing

I really enjoy D.J. Palmer's book and My Wife is Missing was no exception. The story had a good amount of suspense and twists and turns. Definitely a page turner.
I've been meaning to read multiple D.J. Palmer novels but I just haven't made it. I'm glad I finally made it to this one, even if it was so late! In My Wife is Missing, we follow Natalie and her children as she runs from her husband, Michael. She knows something about Michael's past that makes her feel she needs to run in order to keep her and her children safe. But, she also has such severe insomnia that she has bouts of delusion. Michael is on the other end of this situation, looking for his wife and kids. But he cannot say too much or else that secret from his past will come to light.

I really liked the back and forth of this book. It really did give me anxiety like it would if I knew Natalie and her family. I found myself waiting to see where they make it next. Like any true thriller, there's a big ole twist to it all. I did NOT see it coming, but it also made perfect sense instead of coming out of nowhere,

I definitely enjoyed this and look forward to reading other titles by this author.
Twisty! There is a lot going on here. Some of the twists I saw coming and others were surprising. This is told from alternating POV of Natalie and Michael (the spouses) and timelines before and after Natalie's disappearance. I liked how it was laid out and written, with the layers building over the length of the story.

Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for the copy to read and review.
This is a story about assumptions.

The good:  This was a very readable story.  The pacing was good, and the writing is descriptive in a way that flows well.

The not as good: I hated every single character, and every ridiculous, poorly thought out choice they made.

This was not the book for me, but I’ll definitely check out more by the author.
A family vacation meant for some quality family times ends with his wife and children missing. Told in dual timelines that lend to questioning what really is going on in Natalie and Michael’s marriage.
I don’t want to say too much but nothing is as it seems in this one.
Thank you #StMartinsPress and #NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review
This was a fun cat and mouse chase kind of book. It was entertaining but I did sort of anticipate how it would play out. I liked the pacing and the writing style. I'll definitely read more from this author.
“My Wife Is Missing,” (and the kids too) is about an unreliable character – Natalie (the wife) who thinks her husband may have done something really bad and might hurt her and their children. It starts off with them all going to NYC for a family trip. Once they get to the hotel, they decide to get pizza for dinner, so Michael goes to pick up the food and bring it back to the hotel. When he returns his wife and children are gone, along with their suitcases. Michael is frantic and calls in the police.

They soon discover that his wife and children left the hotel on their own and that no one kidnapped them.
The book is good but I did tire of all the chasing and being reminded that Natalie due to her insomnia wasn’t sure what was happening. I am also not a big fan of, "an unreliable character."

I really liked a previous book by this author, “The Perfect Daughter.” You can see my review here:

Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this book for an honest review.
Once you start reading this book you will not be able to put it down. You get “sucked in” right from the first page and taken on a crazy rollercoaster of twists and lies. The story is told from two different characters’ perspective so you are constantly guessing who to believe. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes well written, fast paced thrillers.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
My Wife is Missing written by D.J. Palmer

Michael Hart and his family arrives in NYC. He drops them off at the hotel and head out to bring back pizza. When he gets back, his family has to disappeared.

As the story unfolds and Michael and an unlikely detective go searching for his family, more and more of Michael's secrets and past come to surface.

How desperate is Michael in finding his wife and children?

This is a domestic drama and psych thriller that starts slow and frustrating as I thought there were other ways to approach this situation.  The story becomes fast paced and thrilling towards the last 40%. Parts of the story was really unrealistic but fun to read. Lastly, I thought D.J. Palmer could have thought of a more interesting title.

From my blog: Always With a Book:

This is the fourth book I’ve read by D.J. Palmer and once again he has managed to write a twisty thriller that keeps you on your toes all the way through. He is definitely a must-read author for me and I love that his books are so addicting and entertaining.

This latest book was quite a wild ride. It kept me guessing all the way through and I never knew what to expect next – which is exactly how I love my thrillers to be. This one is full of secrets and lies and the unexpected.  Just when I thought I had things figured out, a new twist would shake everything up and I would be left shaking my head in wonder. My suggestion with this one is to just enjoy the ride and not try to figure it out!

I loved that the story is told from both Michael and Natalie’s perspectives, moving back and forth in time. This really allows us to get to know both characters and see just what we are dealing with. But do we really? Are either of them telling us the whole truth? Natalie suffers from insomnia and that just adds a whole new dimension to things, which I loved…is she really the most reliable of characters? And Michael has some secrets of his own, making him rather suspect, too.

I cannot recommend this one enough. I flew through this one, as I typically do with this author’s books, and am already eager to get my hands on his next book!
3 stars for My Wife Is Missing, by DJ Palmer.

I’m definitely over the unreliable female narrative (though for insomnia in this case case- not your broken record drunk and buzzed lady in crisis). I enjoyed the game of cat and mouse - but I felt bad for the kids being dragged thoughtlessly through it all. Some decent twists but the epilogue was a very sour note to end on.  I wanted to like this so much more. I’m glad it still held my interest enough to finish it easily.

Thank you to the author, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
What an amazing story. A missing wife and children, where are they.   Kidnapped or left on their own. You don’t want to miss out.
initial thoughts: while I liked the story, I felt it was too long and repetitive (we get it, Natalie has insomnia.)

overall, a quick thriller.
This is a heart throbbing action packed book! The first chapter will hook you in. Michael the MC is worried about his wife's insomnia issues. However, they take a trip to NYC despite her lack of sleep. When he looses his wife and family after running out for pizza- the whole story becomes unreliable narrator style.

Then we move back in time to learn the family history and drama of this family. I really liked this one but I wish the narrators were a **tad** more reliable!
So many secrets. So many lies. This book is a rollllercoaster. I can’t wait to read more from this author!
This book kept me on the edge of my seat! Thank you for writing yet another great read!

This book, had me guessing the whole time! If you love a good guessing game, this book is just right for you.
Twisty page turner but I found this one to be a bit too convoluted a little too far fetched but it kept me interested and was overall a fun read.  D.J. Palmer will continue to be one of my go to's for summer thrillers.
My Wife Is Missing
DJ Palmer

Want a real thriller read that is truly thrilling and exciting – the kind where you get all stressed out and bite your nails into oblivion, your body humming with the thrill, and twists so twisty it will make your head turn?
You found the book right here!

My Wife Is Missing is such a fun ride, that read fast, full of secrets, lies, and the unexpected at every turn. The writing was addictive and quite impressive – such an entertaining and enjoyable read.

If you are a thriller reader, then this is a must read for you.
Michael and Natalie Hart appear to be the typical family with two children and a happy life.  However, Natalie soon begins to believe that her husband is having an affair.  She begins to investigate and one thing leads to another.  She plans a detailed escape on an upcoming family vacation.  Natalie waits until her husband has gone to pick up pizza and she escapes with the children from the hotel in New York City.  This sends her husband into a panic.

The author continues to surprise you with plot twists.  I absolutely loved this book!  This domestic thriller kept me on the edge of my seat the entire book.
This is my second novel by D. J. Palmer and, true to fashion, he comes at you with all the suspense and twisty turns you can handle.  Just when you think you have it figured out, you're drawn into another direction and start doubting yourself.  I was completely surprised by the ending, had not expected that reveal.  Honestly, both reveals surprised me, which isn't all that shocking since I never figure these things out.  The author is very adept at laying out a path that you think is the correct one, only to be fooled at the end.

However, there were things that I didn't care for, either.  Despite the fact that Natalie and the kids disappear within the first few pages of the book, it took a long time before the story began to engage me.  It wasn't until we get the first bits of Natalie's point of view that I became truly interested.  I think that we're trained to automatically suspect the husband in these things, so I wasn't particularly amenable to the possible cause of their disappearance, I think.

The two main characters, Michael and Natalie, were interesting both together and alone.  Natalie's insomnia created all kinds of problems for her and while the effects did help to create a sense of  maybe she's telling the truth, but maybe she's just gone over the edge, too.  So, you don't know for sure if what she's seeing is real or not.  It certainly adds to the suspense and tension of the scenes.  Michael, on the other hand, starts as a suspect and stays that way.  He is, after all, the one with the most to lose if his secrets get out.

While this wasn't my favorite of the two D. J. Palmer novels I've read, I'll definitely continue to seek out his books.  The stories are always gripping and full of twists you hadn't seen coming.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.