Cover Image: My Wife Is Missing

My Wife Is Missing

5 Stars!!!

This one will have you riveted from the first page! I could not put it down. Told in alternating perspectives, with a few flashbacks, you’re taken on a journey. Natalie, wife of Michael, sufferer of insomnia, takes their two children and runs after learning secrets that her husband, has kept from her all these years.

Michael, who reports his wife missing, is befriended by a NYPD detective and they set out in search of Natalie and the kids.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

A special thank you to NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press, and DJ Palmer for providing me with an ARC.
The book gets your attention right away. Michael and Natalie are having marital problems and a counselor recommended that they take a trip but instead of going alone they make it a family vacation to New York City. Natalie has been having severe insomnia and Michael worries how she will do in a hotel room. After arrival they are all exhausted so Natalie has Michael go out to pick up pizza from a place nearby that had a good Yelp review. When he returns with the food he finds his son's beloved Teddy on the floor and his family is gone.

For me it went downhill from there. The chapters alternate from Michael and then Natalie before and after. It seemed like the reason she ran was because she suspected Michael of having an affair. I thought that was an extreme reaction and I never got the impression that Michael didn't adore his family even though he had secrets. I spent most of the book angry with Natalie. She had insomnia and it was mentioned constantly. The amount of times the insomnia was mentioned rivaled the amount of times we heard about Addie's asthma. Natalie had delusions and hallucinations and was sure Michael was going to murder them all. She is dragging the kids around, driving with little sleep. I was quickly turning pages near the end partly because I wanted to know what was going to happen even though by this time I really didn't care and then found the end kind of improbable. Actually most of the book seemed improbable and all I can hope is that after the book ended she seriously considered a good therapist.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me with a digital copy.
This starts off with a bang right from the first chapter and takes you on a wild ride until the end. It did lose a bit of the momentum during the middle, but there were some hot takes with this plot that caught me off guard in a very good way. I have come to expect the unexpected with Palmer’s books, and at one point when I caught myself thinking, ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’, I had to realize who’s book I was reading, and sure enough, by the next chapter, the script was flipped and off we went again on another crazy ride.

This is why I love his books so much, you think you have them figured out and that is precisely when the roller coaster pivots into something crazy good that you didn’t see coming, but then it makes all of the sense in the world. Throw in an unreliable female due to insomnia, and a questionable protagonist and this is a recipe for an excellent thriller.

I really enjoyed this one, and am trying to work my way through the rest Palmer’s backlist before his next book comes out.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC and digital copy to review.
My Wife is Missing is a never ending twisty road! It’s told in dual POV, which I love but as you find out early in the book it’s hard to know who to believe. The characters and emotions are real and you can easily get lost in the book, especially the end! I highly recommend this book!!!
What a wild ride!

This was very exciting and thrilling, and a lot of moments that made you wonder what the hell was going on.

I kind of went into this blind and it went in so many directions that made me wonder how it would end. Definitely didn't see anything that came my way. It was almost too difficult to guess who did it? I really enjoyed the back and forth between past and present. The ending was a bit underwhelming which is why it got only 4 stars, but I still really enjoyed this one and can't wait to see what DJ Palmer releases next!
I’m going with 4 stars. I was very tempted to go 3, but I’ll round up.

You know, this book has a lot going for it. The story was unique and the pace was fast. I liked all the questions and mysteries, and the way everything unfolded. I don’t think I ever fully figured out what was going on, though I did call some things pretty early on.

What ultimately kept  this from being an enthusiastic 4 stars (or a 5 star) read for me was the writing. Some of the writing felt hokey, and amateurish. That sounds mean, but I’ve read other books from this author and never thought that before, which is why it was so jarring. There were several times that I was rolling my eyes and had to force myself to kept going.

BUT, overall, the story was intriguing. And I was able to get past the scenes that didn’t flow. And I will still be on the lookout for future titles from this author. I think those scenes honestly were flukes.
My Wife is Missing is a mystery/thriller. It is my third book by this author.

The book has both the male and female 3rd person POVs. The chapters alternate between Michael and Natalie in the present. And Natalie in the past before she disappeared.

Michael, Natalie and their two small children go on vacation to NYC. Michael goes out to get pizza. But when he comes back his family is gone.

This was an enjoyable read. Both Michael and Natalie have secrets. And I really enjoyed seeing the mystery get solved.

The end was riveting with lots happening. I figured out parts of the truth. But I definitely did not put all of the pieces together. Overall this was a really good thriller. Although I'm not totally sure how I felt about the epilogue. It was interesting, but a bit unexpected.
My Wife Is Missing is the first book I've read by D. J. Palmer, but it definitely won't be my last. I felt like I was watching an episode of Dateline where each new piece of information brings up new doubts about who is telling the truth. Fortunately, the author did provide answers for all my questions by the end of the book.  Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the advance copy to read and review.
My favorite my this author yet! Granted I’ve only read (3) of his counting this one but it quickly moved to the top pick. Thank you for this review copy
I first heard of this author via the bookstagram community and was excited to read My Wife is Missing because the author's prior novel, The Perfect Daughter, received rave reviews on booksta.

What I liked:
-Even though the overused, unreliable narrator trope was part of the plot, it wasn't used in conjunction with the also overused trope of substance abuse being the cause of the unreliability.
-Began with a bang. The story started off immediately with the disappearance of the wife and children, and the crux of the story wasn't drawn out for several chapters.
-There's a part towards the end that had my adrenaline running.
-Short chapters

What I didn't like:
-Way too long. One of the MCs suffers from insomnia and we were reminded every other page. I think this book could have been 100 pages shorter and still worked.
-Early on, I had an idea of what the main twist would be and I don't enjoy when twists are easy to gauge.
-The implausibity of a few plot points. Mainly having to do with the detective.
-Didn't care for the epilogue at all.
The more books I read of D.J. Palmer, the more of a fan I become. My Wife is Missing was a fun quick passed murder mystery that had me completely turned around at the end. I did not see that coming. When Michael and Natalie take a family vacation to New York, Michael is shocked when he comes back to their hotel to find Natalie and his two children have vanished. Natalie has been fighting insomnia for quite a while so when she deduces that Michael is having an affair it sends her reeling and on a mission to find out the truth. Is she really seeing what she thinks or has her lack of sleep made things all the worse? The manhunt ensues for Natalie and their children, but Michael has several secrets hidden up his sleeve. This was a great twisty turning mystery that I couldn't put down. Thank you, NetGalley for the eARC. 4 stars.
My Wife is Missing was very twisted- in a good way!  I figured there was an unreliable narrator but was it the husband or the wife?  Natalie seemed most likely- she has had insomnia for months and could be hallucinating. But Michael seems to know more than he is saying so maybe it is him. I love a book that keeps me guessing until the very last page and this one delivered.
3 things:
1) intense
2) page turning
3) gripping

Well that took a turn that I did not see coming. I loved the audio! I truly enjoyed this book. I binged it and didn’t want to put it down. I enjoyed not knowing if the wife was crazy or if the husband was bad. I kept second guessing my theories. This is the best kind of book to read. I loved the mystery of it and I absolutely loved the narrator and all of her different voices. I felt like I was watching the entire scenario play out. This would make such a good movie!

Thank you so much Macmillan for my gifted finished
copy.
rom the very beginning the author captured my attention and with every turn of the page he had me more and more engrossed until I didn't know who I was rooting for and what was going to come next.

The author paints a vivid picture of a marriage gone wrong due to lies, secrets and miscommunications through glimpses into the couple's past. This, alongside the multitude of twists at every corner, led me to become invested, right along with Michael, in the chase for Natalie and the kids. I encountered all sorts of characters and discovered a myriad of secrets while re-examining my options with every event brought to the page. Back and forth I went until the very end. And I loved it all!
As a fan of D.J. Palmer’s The Perfect Daughter, I was majorly excited for his latest release. And My Wife Is Missing is twisty mystery that delivers on the thrills. Very entertaining, though I found it a bit challenging to keep track of all the loose ends at times. Ultimately though, all of my questions were answered and I’d recommend this for those looking for a beach read thriller.
I found this to be a pretty good read. Michael and Natalie decide to go on a family trip, but it seems that Natalie has something else planned, like taking her children and running. At first, we start wondering why is she running from him and what did he do? But, as we dive deeper, we see that Michael isn't the saint of a husband like you think he is or is he? Natalie is not sleeping, and you can tell it seems to mess with her mind a bit, but it doesn't help that Michael is not being supportive; he thinks she can not tell the difference between real and not real. As we keep diving into Natalie trying to hide from her husband and her husband trying to find her, we discover that there is more to Michael than what meets the eye. What happened in his past that has him worried about the police?
The only thing that bothered me a bit in this story was how the detective acted when he just showed up and was like, "Hey, let's travel to find your wife."
I will say I enjoyed how it all came together, and the ending was done perfectly.
This book has a lot of build up, but very little actual action.

The husband and wife play a cat and mouse game through most of this book. While the whole time readers are left thinking the husband did something he may or may not have done in his teen years. The wife is suffering from insomnia and clearly losing her mind making her a very unreliable narrator.

There are a few twists at the very end which did help to bump up my thoughts on the book overall but I would've enjoyed those a bit sooner with a little more action throughout.

I want to thank Netgalley and St Martin's Press for their gift of an advanced readers edition of this book in exchange for my honest review.
DJ Palmer has done it again.  My Wife is Missing centers on Natalie and Michael Hart.  They are struggling in their marriage due to the affair that Natalie is sure Michael is having.  This causes Natalie to struggle with insomnia which makes daily life difficult.  Because of the insomnia, Natalie imagines things and isn’t sure what actually happened and what she has imagined.  During a family vacation to New York City, Natalie disappears with her children.  Michael is desperate to find them.  Michael is surprised when the police detective he reported the disappearance to wants to help follow Natalie to the mid-west.  The story is told alternating between Natalie and Michael.  It is full of twists and turns.  It was one I couldn’t put down.  A five star read for sure.
Absolutely amazing again, DJ Palmer just gets better and better. Without giving anything away, the whole premise of the book takes a sudden twist and turn that I did not foresee. Always gripping, thought provoking and intense, this novel is no different and definitely hits you hard. I couldn’t stop thinking about it for a long time - sign of a great story. This one would make a great movie! Highly recommend all of DJ Palmers novels and was extremely grateful to be given the opportunity to read and review this. Look forward to the next one already.
Michael Hart, his wife, Natalie, and their two children are in New York City for a vacation. Shortly after checking into their hotel, Michael leaves to pick up a pizza for his hungry family but, when he returns, his family is gone and so is all their luggage.  This is just the beginning of the nightmare, as Michael tries to locate his family, even though it appears that his wife has planned their disappearance.

My Wife is Missing has a great beginning and it hits the ground running.  There are several different points of view so it’s up to the reader to decide where the truth lies.  While the book is suspenseful, I felt that it went on a little too long, with a fair amount of repetition, and a seemingly endless chase scene. None of the characters are very likable so I found it hard to sympathize with any of them.  And, finally, I just couldn’t imagine a mother putting her young children through such an ordeal. Natalie was just plain annoying. Over and over again she made decisions that were strange and irrational, and this was just too implausible for me.

While I have enjoyed other books by D.J. Palmer, his latest book missed the mark for me.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.