Cover Image: Into the Inferno

Into the Inferno

In 'Into the Inferno', Palley writes a detailed and unflinching account of his experiences photographing wildfires in California. He doesn't shy away from describing the reasons behind the increasing occurrence of deadly wildfires, either.

I am hoping to hike the Pacific Crest Trail within the next few years, so I was keenly interested to read a narrative which would teach me more about how wildfires start, how they behave, and how to mitigate personal risk. Palley indeed provides this, although the reason I've given three stars and not more is that the book did come across as quite repetitive to me as the author jumps from fire to fire, and I was less interested in learning about how Palley set up his various shots (I'm not a photography aficionado). I was also disappointed at the lack of photographs. I know photographs increase the costs of publishing a book, but if you can't include them in a book by an actual photographer, in a book about photography, then when can you? I think the ebook version at least could have included them!

(With thanks to Blackstone Publishing and NetGalley for this ebook in exchange for an honest review)