Cover Image: A Year of Loving Kindness to Myself

A Year of Loving Kindness to Myself

As the title suggests, this audiobook by Brigid Lowry is about ways to be a kindler, gentler soul. If you're going through a tough time and have negative self-talk, this will serve as a wonderful reminder to be more gentle with yourself and others.

There's practical advice on how to go about doing so. That said, there's nothing earth shattering mentioned. So if you read self help books on the regular, this may likely feel like a repeat of advice you've heard before.

I'm grateful to Orange Sky for the advanced listener copy via the NetGalley app. The narration was perfect for the text. Very easy, relaxing listening! And the cover art is gorgeous.
It's always interesting to learn from others how they experience life and its obstacles. The author drew me into her life with her story.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this audio book but the short essays and main section were truly enjoyable and well composed. The narrated did a fabulous job and only added to the context. This is my first reading of Brigid Lowry and found myself in a rollercoaster of emotion while reading.... It's an interesting idea to follow a year and understand what ones life can cover in that long or rather short period of time.
This is a lovely collection of essays about living mindfully through all of life's twists and turns. It felt good to the soul to listen this as I puttered around my house, cleaning and organizing, and walking the dog. It was a gentle reminder to be kind to myself and take time to notice the small moments and practice self-care. This book encourages the reader to accept and process all of the things that life throws at us., helping us more forward in the most proactive and positive way forward. The author did a great job with the audio recording, it was very peaceful to listen to.
Quick and easy read!  If you want to reduce and take things off your list then this book has great examples.  If you prefer to have a book that does not delve into other philosophical thoughts then this would not be a great choice.  It’s light and to the point like sitting down with someone telling their story.
Listened to this as an audiobook, which was provided by NetGalley in advance of its release. My preference would have been to access this as a physical/ebook as it felt like quite a ramble as an audiobook (but a comforting, soothing, and somewhat helpful exposé). The timing for me was good in receiving the messages she shares. Otherwise, I think it would be a bit of “more of the same” as expressed in many memoirs and self-kindness currently in release.

#AYearofLovingKindnesstoMyself #NetGalley
I loved what this book stood for and what it was trying to do but I did not enjoy the execution of it and I do believe the title is somewhat misleading. My favorite parts about the book was when it was discussing the lifestyle of slowing down because I have really been trying to live a slower lifestyle lately and have been trying to find more joy in the little things and not buying so much "stuff". I also enjoyed how the book varied in emotions because it validates the idea that we are allowed to feel every emotion that comes to us and express them in healthy ways. My biggest complaint was the organization of the book. I did not like how after the 12 months there were so many chapters about various things and I felt like it would have been more beneficial to combine those chapters within the original 12 months or get rid of the original 12 months altogether that way the book read more like a journal.
I found this book hard to stay interested in and connect with. I appreciate the topic but this bad ok just fell short for me.
Feel good book. It gives you reminders subtle and not so subtle to keep going and other things that can be lost in the day to day.
“Prajna

All your pretty dresses won’t save you.
You can’t wriggle out of it.
The suffering of this floating world
will continue to present itself.
Just keep on being the Buddha,
white flowers in your open arms.”

If you’re struggling to maintain grace and good humour amidst daily potholes and pitfalls, Brigid Lowry may be just the warm, wise and witty companion you need. She’s inspiring in an unassuming way. Rather than essays, I  believe much of this collection of Lowry’s writings could be called vignettes and prose poems.

At a time when mental health is more important than ever, Lowry offers ways of living simply, practising acceptance, and learning new ways of enjoying creativity and contentment in all kinds of emotional and political weather.

The author shares her own struggles and insights in her book through which she hopes to offer the reader strategies and wisdom for finding ease and grace.

Informed by contemporary psychology and Zen Buddhism, Lowry’s vignettes offer reflections on everything from friendship to grief, and from gratitude to self-care. At just over two and a half hours, “A Year of Loving Kindness to Myself” is perfect for anyone requiring a reminder to add a little extra love and compassion to their lives. Vanessa Rhodes, the narrator, has a warm, confident voice, too.

Sally Gillespie, the author of “Climate Crisis and Consciousness”, describes the book as “A must-read for cultivating a tender and loving approach to ourselves, others and our world”.

I thoroughly enjoyed this creative, soothing read. “A Year of Loving Kindness to Myself” is an audiobook I would like to listen to again and again.

“It is wise to remember that everyone has their own unfolding, and that the way we see things is only one way of seeing things.”

A huge thank you to @NetGalley and @orangeskyaudio for this audiobook.
I was hoping to enjoy this book but I didn’t the narration of this story was highly boring. I ended up DNF’ing this book
2/5 Not really up my alley but some will love!

This review is for the audiobook version.

First off, it should be noted that this is basically a diary and that should definitely have been in the description because I would not have picked it up. I didn't mind this type of book when I was younger and reading it physically but I don't really like it audibly. Despite being described and titled as a loving yourself book there was quite a bit of this book that was other than that which wasn't great since I was already having a bad day. Maybe this book would be good for those who already love themselves and not those who have always struggled with their self-image.

I probably won't be picking anything up from this author again unless it seems like something I'd really like. For those that like books about struggles and growth you should check this out though because it would definitely be more up your alley!

Disclaimer: I read/listened to this arc on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
As the title implies, this book incorporates principles from Buddhism and offers an around the year, fresh with each month and season look at self care.  After this 12 month approach there is another series of essays and lists offered.

This was a pleasant, soothing audio offering that might make a nice gift for someone going through a hard season of life, or someone who has an interest in applying a Zen approach to a Western life.

With thanks to NetGalley and Orange Sky Audio for the eArc.
An interesting collection of vignettes of loving kindness, this will appeal to readers who are interested in minimalism as well as Buddhism. If you're looking for a calm, warm voice to enjoy and provoke your thoughts about simplicity and loving kindness and how it manifests in life, this may be great for you.
As an audio book, it lacked clear signposts between sections of the book--the year sounds like it's only the first half of the book, with other vignettes following.
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn’t my favorite. I feel like there were a lot of good reminders, but it wasn’t anything new.
Lovey read about being present and being kind to yourself. With the holidays around the corner, it's that time of the year where you reflect on the past year and look forward to next. Brigid provides some great tangible tips fr how to treat yourself with kindness - going for a walk, grounding yourself, finding activities that make you happy, etc. I liked this book because it wasn't preachy - it was honest and realistic. Great book to read looking forward to 2022.
Thanks to #netgalley for the ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. A lovely collection of essays that serve as a soft and kind reminder to us to be kind to yourself and to treat yourself with as much love and kindness as you would treat anyone else. A great reminder to be more mindful and take care of yourself before you can truly take care of others. ⭐⭐⭐#netgalley #brigidlowry #ayearoflovingkindness #tea_sipping_bookworm  #goodreads #litsy #amazonkindle #thestorygraph #bookqueen #bookstagram
"Writers don't want to write, they want to have written."

"A Year of Loving Kindness to Myself" is a pleasant, fast read. Like most memoirs/self-help novels, there's an ongoing theme of growth and following happiness. There's a rather brief journey through Lowry's life, which feels just like touching water with the tip of your toes... I wish we could've known more about it.

I enjoyed most of what I read, except certain bits where Brigid chose to "give lessons" through one liners with small descriptions (it felt like I was reading an article in a Blog instead). The narration is casual, like a talk in a coffee or a park. I liked the variety of concepts (Iike the Japanese concept of Enoughness, which was foreign to me), even if a lot of them seem overrated (family, happiness, sadness, etc).

I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for a taste breaker from fantasy or romance, or anyone that needs a little push going through a hard day. Lowry's lessons might sound cookie-cutter to most cynics but take them with an open heart and you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

This collection of essays is a lovely reminder to not shy away from being kind to oneself and respect and value one’s current emotions. It’s fluid and easy-to-understand, and all the insights and pieces of advice are approachable and interesting.

However, this wasn’t a life-changing book, as it has the same advice other essay collections and non-fiction books offer. It was a good listen regardless, keeping me entertained and reminding me to enjoy the little things in life. I did like how it tackled a wide variety of topics, from dealing with stress to the wonders and implications of traveling.

I wished I had read it instead of listened since I could have annotated it to keep some of the reminders closer.
This was an extremely well done book. It doesn't read as a self help book, and instead gives you life lessons and different perspectives on how to look at life to improve your own life experience. I found some of the chapters truly profound and really want to implement some of the things I learned into my own life. The author is quite inspiring in an almost unassuming way. She doesn't shove life lessons down your throat or tell you how you should be living but instead suggest things she did to change her life and how they worked for her and how to change your thinking to align with what you truly want out of life. I really found myself focusing on her words so that I could remember them in my daily life. I really enjoyed this. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.