Cover Image: Bi

Bi

This book was intriguing but the level of information was for someone who had no background on the subject. As a bi person myself, it wasn’t giving me any new insight.
It starts off slow and kind of dense, but once the action begins, it's hard to resist the story as it drives forward. It reads as a true epic, one that makes you feel the world really has been reshaped as you read it. Would recommend.
Thank you to NetGalley and Abrams Press for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

Why yes, I would like more bi visibility, please!

Shaw's book on bisexuality shines a light on everything from the etymology of sexualities as a whole and the science behind things like the Kinsey Scale and Klein Grid to the author's personal experiences with her sexual awakening. I would categorize this almost as half memoir and half scientific nonfiction.

The entire book's contents are very well-researched with each chapter ending with a list of references, which is useful because there were some topics I wanted to delve into a bit deeper and it gave me a great starting point. But Shaw includes enough of her own experiences with sexuality and the culture of sexuality.

What I really loved about this book is that it's so inclusive of all sexualities. For every data point regarding bisexuality, there is further research into how that data point connects to or compares to other sexualities. There was a lot in this book about bi erasure and how society views bisexuality. These are things that are SO important and SO overlooked.

Reading this book felt so validating. I can only hope it gets into the hands of people who need to read it the most. Everyone who reads this book stands to learn something, regardless of sexuality and I appreciate that so much. At times the level of thoroughness can get to be a lot, but that only speaks to Shaw's passion about the subject which shines clearly through on each page.

4.5 stars rounded up to 5.
It was so great to see the representation in this book. I would recommend this book to older students who are struggling or questioning their identities. I think that it was a refreshing take on bisexuality and am excited for the book's release!
I remember growing up in a world where people would regularly scoff when they heard someone identifying as bisexual. "That's not real" they'd say, or, "you're just gay and in denial." I'm not personally bi but so many of my friends had to endure these invalidating comments for much of their lives. Books like this go a long way in breaking down the stigma and educating the public. I'm glad it exists.
Loved loved loved this book.  Can't wait to own a copy of this book.  As a newly figured out Bi woman who is a science nerd, this book feels like it was written personally for me.
Diving into books on LGBTQ+ history can sometimes feel overwhelming. Where do I start? What should I already know? How do I narrow down to my specific interests? This book is incredibly helpful because it answers a lot of those questions for you. I found the text to be accessible, modern, and well-researched. It gives just enough history to orient the reader and provide context without becoming dull. The text also highlights many issues specific to the bi community, which seems difficult to find. Some sections address tough topics, but the author frames them well and the reader is made aware of what’s coming. This is a useful and easy to read text that should be widely read by those inside and outside the bisexual community.

Thanks to NetGalley and Abrams for this eARC
This book was very informative and presented in a way that is easy to digest. I definitely think this is a great book to read for those who are trying to get a better understanding of what bisexuality is and its history.
I thought some parts of this were interesting. Like behaviorally bisexual animals. The author was very focused on identity of bisexuality and seemed to find this more important than behavior or desire which to me is a very western perspective
I found this book very informative! The information in it is so relevant and should be read by anyone who wants to understand bisexuality
I've been fortunate to read an advance copy of Bi by Julia Shaw, and let me tell you, I think everyone needs to read it.

Normally I struggle with non-fiction writing, but that was not at all the case here. The writing is informative and eye opening, at times humorous and filled with personal anecdotes that made it feel like a step above the usual book of this nature.

What I liked most was how eye opening it was, I mean, here I am taking notes on things such as "slut discourse" and "mixed orientation relationships". Things I was aware of peripherally, but didn't really think about until reading this. (Who doesn't love a good thought provoking book?) Heartbreaking moments about asylum seeking bisexuals really give you a pause for thought. We have so far to go!

Bi belongs on every LGBTQ+ bookshelf as a must read part of our history, the information needs to be shared, and as a community, we need to improve on our recognizing the B in lgBtq, embracing our family and ditching the stigma(s).

As most of you know, I am a huge advocate for books about marginalized groups being in the hands of a the masses, and this definitely checked the boxes for me. So add it to your future #tbr list please!

Extra thanks to #NetGalley for the advance copy of #Bi

Extra thanks to #NetGalley for the advance copy of #Bi
I honestly really, really enjoyed this book! I was drawn to this one because the content is relevant to me personally, but hadn't anticipated just how validating it would feel to see so much of myself reflected in this book's contents. I felt seen in a way that I hadn't realized I needed, and I'd very much recommend this one to everybody. I thought it was well-written and not too dry or academic, and the structure very much made intuitive sense. I wouldn't say this is a massive deep-dive, but I think this makes a great overview on Bisexuality and where we're at in present society/how we got there in terms of how it's viewed.
Thank you NetGalley and Abrams Press for the opportunity to enjoy and review this title.
Everyone needs to read this book, despite their sexual orientation. A lot of research went into this book, and it is very thorough. I really enjoyed learning about the history and psycho-social aspects behind bisexuality!
Wow. This book was so eye-opening to me! I felt like the author's feelings were my feelings, as if I was almost living their life. It also felt like a textbook of sorts at times, like they were trying to teach their readers. I love that, and I think every library in the country needs several copies.
I was very happy when I received the arc of Bi written by Julia Shaw. As a sapphic feminine presenting person I thought I was in the correct field to review this book. This book is nonjudgemental and very helpful in educating readers on the history of bisexuality.
As a queer history major, I don't often find myself learning vast sums of new information when I read new queer non-fiction books. Bi, by Julia Shaw, blew me away with the meticulous research and kindness the information was presented in. This is an absolute must-read for any member of the LGBTQ+ community or any all.
I’m so glad I found something so nonjudgmental and educational about sexuality. Going into this, I was unsure if this would be cringy or full of misinformation but it is so informative and well written. People are quick to judge and misunderstand and this is a must read.
A thoughtful and in-depth representation of what it means to be bisexual. An often misunderstood identity, this book confronts society's often misinterpretations of this sexuality and presents an educational message for readers.
This was an informative but easy to read book about bisexuality. The author is bi and mentions her own experiences throughout the book, but it's definitely not a memoir.
It's well-researched and insightful. I really liked how it explained the uniqueness of the bi identity- not *almost straight" or "almost gay" but rather a complete identity altogether. It isn't a history text primarily, but there is some queer history mixed into the chapters.
This is a book I'd recommend both to bi people looking to learn more and feel seen as well as those who want to learn more about supporting the bi people in their life (and according to the research in this book, there may be more than they think!!)
Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC to read and provide and honest review.
Informative, engaging, and thought provoking.  This is a historical, sociological, psychological exploration of bisexuality and the impact of bi-erasure.  It is well-written, well researched, and has great references.