Cover Image: The Second Marriage

The Second Marriage

I absolutely loved this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat right through to the end. Every time I thought I knew where it was headed, something new happened to send me in a different direction.

While the basic concept of an older man rushing into marriage with a new younger wife with questions sitting in the background over the mysterious previous wife seems to be a fairly common trend at the moment, this book is a good example of this theme done right.

Too often this kind of book presents us with the naive and/or whiney younger wife who has just been too dumb to see obvious signs in front of her. Instead, this book gives us Lily - a woman who is smart, independent and resourceful. She hasn't married Edward because she needs his money, or because she needs to escape a former life/lifestlye - she has married a man that she genuinely loves and believes she knows.

The slow and steady dawning of the realisation that maybe she doesn't really know this man that she married the way she thought she did is both heartbreaking and believable.

Believable because it's not one sudden thing that triggers it all but, rather, a gradual build up of individual occurrences that lead her down this path. Heartbreaking because we get to bear witness to Lily's journey as she uncovers secrets and needs to make decisions about whether or not she can continue to love and accept her husband knowing what she now does, and can she really trust him or are there still more secrets she has yet to uncover. Who is her husband, really?

Full of twists and turns and unexpected reveals, this book is a 'must read' for fans of suspense and drama.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I listened to the Bolinda Audio version of this book and found the narrator well suited to tell the story.

Am I glad I read it - absolutely, I loved it
Was it a waste of my time - not at all
Would I sit down and read it all over again - absolutely
Would I read more by this author based on this book - yes (few more books in my TBR pile first, but then I fully intend tracking down more by Jess Ryder).
WOW what a great listen ! Was nothing like I was expecting at all ! Lots of twists and turns and gripping from the first chapter and an ending that had you on the edge of your seat ! Highly recommended!

The narrator was very good in that she made it an easy listen and brought the characters to life
WoW!!! The Second Marriage by Jess Ryder Narrated by Rosamund Hine was Excellent!!! I loved it from Start to finish it was brilliant. I Ioved the plot and its twists and turns throughout. All the characters were good and fitted in well into this storyline, especially as it had me guessing till the end! Then Bang!! I didn't see that happening! Brilliant! I loved it.

Big Thank you to NetGalley and especially to Bookouture for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.
What a page turner!
Recommended for anyone who is wanting an escape for the day.
Lily, although entering the marriage to the charming Edward quite naively, and takes on the responsibility of family, adapts quite resourcefully to the situation as secrets unfold.
There is nothing really deep here, it is a tried and true tale, charming & wealthy widower meets governess, a domestic thriller, and one's suspicions are quickly aroused, but the tale is told in a fresh way and I found myself continuing to find chores around the house so i could keep listening.
Narration is also well done.
3.5*
Second marriages…. How well, (if at all) do you know the family you’re preparing to marry into? What secrets lie beneath the surface, ready to be revealed?

Lily has been home schooling Edward’s nine year-old son Noah. During which time, Edward and Lily have grown close, quickly deciding to make it official and marry. As might be expected, not everyone is thrilled about this Union.

Shortly after the wedding Lily begins questioning everything about Edward’s first wife. Silently she asks herself what exactly she’s gotten herself in to.
An engaging domestic thriller I really enjoyed. Some great unexpected twists along the way that truly surprised me.

I listened to the audio version and the narrator did a fantastic job with Lily!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture Audio
A perfect marriage. You are entering a family where something happened to the old wife. Yet when her young son starts to tell you she is still alive, that does not match up with what everyone else is saying. Is he being frauded? Or is someone lying to you. And are you safe?  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
This book took hold of me from page one and never let go until the bitter end.  The story was fairly original and kept me entertained throughout the pages.  I highly recommended it to my readers on the blog.
I really enjoyed this thriller! It was riveting from the beginning and there were a bunch of twists, even right up till the ending, I had no idea where it was going to end up. I really liked Noah and I felt so bad for this poor little boy who only wanted to be reunited with his dead (?) mother. Full of unlikable characters except Noah! This was my first Jess Ryder/Jan Page novel but it won't be my last.
I really loved this book!! It had so many twists and turns. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next!! This was my first book by this Author, and it won’t be the last!! Quick read!! Highly recommended!! You won’t be disappointed!!
When Lily Baxendale quits her job as a primary school teacher, the last job she would think she’d land is the role of a new stepmother. After being hired to privately homeschool Noah Morgan, his father, Edward, pops the question to make Lily officially part of the family. But why is Noah so secluded and why are there no physical reminders of his real birth mother?

This one was so addicting! I could not stop listening to it as both the eerie plot and slow buildup really kept you hooked and always asking questions. It’s the perfect audiobook when you don’t know what you’re in the mood for, but you want to be distracted and taken along a wild domestic ride. Even if it’s labeled as a thriller, there are so many parts to this one that even non-thriller fans would love; such as the romantic storyline, female friendships, and finally finding out the truth after feeling like there was no hope.

The narrator was absolutely fantastic. I would listen to anything she narrates! Highly recommend this audiobook.
This is a twisty psychological thriller that had me hooked. I was never sure what or who to believe. The narrator did a great job.
I enjoyed this thriller by Jess Ryder. It’s my first by the author and I will be checking out more of her work. Slow in places but pacy in others. I enjoyed the narrator of the story and I did look forward to listening to more of the story. Fairly predictable, but most thrillers are. I liked Noah’s character and wanted to smack Lily at times! Overall, a good read and I recommend to those who like a thriller. Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for the advanced copy.
This book started well with a strong beginning.  however i felt it went downhill. I would characterise it as a domestic thriller. There are lots of unlikeable characters which made me not bothered about how  it would end.
Thanks to #netgalley and #bookouture for the ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. After a brief romance you marry your student's father. You are his second wife and your step son/former student is insistent that his mother, your husband's first wife is very much still alive. She leaves him notes ...but your husband and his other older children tell you she is definitely dead. A well paced twisty read that will have you second guessing everything your spouse tells you about their former partners. ⭐⭐⭐#netgalley #bookouture #goodreads #amazonkindle #litsy #thestorygraph #tea_sipping_bookworm #bookqueen #bookstagram
I was of mixed feelings about this one for a while but finally came to the conclusion that I would round up to 4 stars instead of 3.  Lily hires on as an in-home schoolteacher for Noah, whose mother died several years previously.  Edward, the father, is quite a bit older than Lily and claims to have fallen in love with her from the start and after just a few months asks her to marry him. So many red flags when Noah whispers he knows his mother is still alive and has been receiving notes from her. Who is sending him notes? The older sisters of Noah are evil and petty and remind me of Cinderella's stepsisters.  There are so many twists and turns and dangers ahead, you will need to read/listen to this one yourself for all the details.
Lily Baxendale had a choice to listen to two people with regard to her new marriage to rich widower Edward Morgan - her best friend Marsha and one unlikely source, her new stepson Noah. Noah might only be eight-years-old, but there is something about him that gives Lily pause. She is in love with Edward, of that there is no doubt. He is older than her by 15 years, but that means nothing to her. Even though she is the second wife (Edward also has two daughters), she has no doubt that Edward loves her.

Well, that is how it started anyway. She began as Noah's tutor and fell in love with Edward. While tutoring Noah things went well between the two of them, but after her marriage to his father their relationship began to change. For one thing, Noah is experiencing different feelings about the loss of his mother, so much so that he is traumatized. He lost his mother when he was three years of age. He is home taught, isolated, alone and unhappy.

Lily does love Edward, but she continues to confide in Marsha, and Marsha does not hold back with her feelings about their relationship, which happened rather quickly. Meanwhile, things begin to occur regarding Noah, and soon Lily begins to doubt the state of her marriage.

What happened to Edward's first wife and what impact could that possibly have on her marriage? Why is Noah so distant and seemingly disturbed? What about the odd behavior Lily notices in Edward's daughter? In this thrilling story, these questions and more are answered. I liked Lily and Noah and how things developed. This story was filled with tension and ended with a pulse-pounding conclusion.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
Thank you Netgalley for the audio copy in exchange for a honest review. After a whirlwind relationship Lily marries Edward. On their wedding night Lily puts her stepson Noah to bed. He whispers to her "They think I have forgotten, but I remember everything. I know my Mummy is still alive' Lily and her friend Marsha turn detectives. Can Lily trust Edward or has she made a huge mistake? A great domestic thriller.
A twisty, psychological thriller that I hated to see end. I listened to the audiobook, which I would highly recommend. I fell deep into the mystery. Guessing all the way to end. A great book if you like a dark, mystery.
I really liked this book! It did a great job of hooking me in right from the beginning and I hadn’t really encountered a dynamic like this one in a thriller book. The main character having to really figure things out based on things that the stepson remembered and also that he was communicating with his mom. This book just kept me on my toes the whole time and I loved the characters. Narrator is very good too!! The only recommendation I have is that the cover definitely does not match with how great this book was. It’s very boring and as someone who does sometimes rely on book covers, this one would make me feel a little iffy about picking this book up.
Pretty good psychological thriller. A little bit over-done in the drama of the story sometimes, but still worth the read.