Cover Image: London Explored

London Explored

London Explored is one of the most well-done historical travel books that I've read. The photography is incredible (and there are many photos), and there is something for you whether you live in London, visit occasionally, or have never been there. I really appreciated that the authors featured several place that the public typically aren't allowed to go, it sets the book apart from other London books!
I was genuinely excited when I was given this book to review. I love London, but don't visit as much as I wish i could. This book lets you properly explore London. Great photos, great detail and one I will buy so I can explore London even when I'm not actually there. Thank you for this book!
Disclaimer: Due to a Netgalley Shelf LCP error, I was unable to finish this book past 40%. so am reviewing based on what I read. Consequently, I won't be able to review the book on Goodreads unless I can access a copy and complete it - however, I will review what I've read so far here.

3/5 - Liked it.

My instinct is to rate this book a little lower based on what I've already read, but given some promising entries I am giving the section I did not read the benefit of the doubt and raising my rating from 2 (it was okay) to 3. The reason my initial rating was lower is because I typically read city books with the goal of visiting and exploring that city - currently I spend much of my year in London, so have been reading these books to find new places to visit in London. This book was unique in that it presented many places which are not accessible to an average visitor - for example, Annabel's or a secret parking lot for extremely expensive cars somewhere in Mayfair. The beautiful façade of Annabel's, which is actually publicly available to visitors, was also not mentioned, which in my opinion was a missed opportunity to give readers something they can actually visit. There were many of these entries and while they were interesting, they weren't what I was looking for.

However, towards the middle of the book, there were more entries that I liked and wrote down as potential places to explore - for example, I never knew that the London Library had evening bookings available for casual visitors, what the details in the Natural History Museum's Hintze Hall symbolised, or about the Museum of Brands in Notting Hill! I did feel like the book generally began to "pick up steam," so I did not want to leave it with a 2 star rating.

Overall, I did like the writing and the photos, but felt that I did not enjoy the book as much as I could have because I could not see how I could access many of the locations. However, this opinion had already begun to shift and might have changed entirely if I could have completed the book. I would definitely read books by this author in the future and complete this book if I got a copy.
A beautiful and informative book that will open your eyes to parts of London and places that aren't on the major tourist routes. The photographs are stunning and make you want to read more about the places listed in the book.

A perfect book for anyone bored with London or looking to find hidden gems.

I was given a copy of London Explored by NetGalley and the publishers in return for an unbiased review.
This book is illustrated with stunning pictures of buildings and sites from all over London. Some are well-known, such as St. Paul's Cathedral, others are hidden gems (the Cyrstal Palace tube station). Each has a short but thorough essay accompanying the pictures giving you insight into the building and its history.

The buildings cover a range of history from Roman ruins to modern skyscrapers. They cover museums, markets, houses, churches, and more.

You'll love this look into many corners of The City.
I have been to London several times, although (obviously during COVID) not recently, and I thought I had a bit of a grip on what there was to see in London.  Little did I know that I was just scratching the surface.  “London Explored: Secret, Surprising and Unusual Places to Discover in the Capital”, with photographs by Peter Dazeley and commentary by Mark Daly, shows me a part of this world capital that very rarely makes it onto the tourists’ radar, or (I would venture to guess) even onto the locals’ travels.

Sure, there are some of the expected guidebook sites, such as the Natural History Museum, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and Prince Albert Memorial, but even those are seen through a fresh perspective or capture some little bit of history/trivia.  But most of the book (and gorgeous photos) is dedicated to off-the-beaten path exploration, many of which aren’t even open to the public.  Some of my favorites include the Crystal Palace Subway station, the London Library, and the Metropolitan Police Vehicle Collection, but there are many, many more that are worthy of exploration and admiration.

And some you can only admire from afar: the biggest drawback to this collection is that many of these gems are not open to the public, or are for members only, or only open on special occasions/events.  So unfortunately, your exploration will probably be limited to the outstanding photos of Mr. Dazeley.

So enjoy the views of the OXO tower interior or Alexander Pope's grotto, and start figuring out who can get you in there!  But until then, and until you can safely visit the UK and see the Sewing Machine Museum or Oval Cricket Ground in person, enjoy this armchair travelogue.

I requested and received a free advanced electronic copy from Quatro Publishing Group – White Lion via NetGalley. Thank you!
London is my favourite city, and it will always be my favourite city! The stunning photos in this book and information about quirky and little-known places, as well as haunts of the rich and famous, such as the sumptuous nightclub Annabel's, only makes me long to visit again.

An excellent choice if you want to explore London further.

EDITION   Hardcover

ISBN          9780711240353

PRICE       $50.00 (USD)
Best arm chair escapism! I loved the quirky places you could explore through the stunning photos and just right amount of explanation. Perfect just to enjoy but also pick out places to see for yourself.
This well organized book sets up points of interest for just about anyone (architecture, history, literary buffs, gearheads, etc.). Find out that the real historic John Snow really DID know something! Locations are organized by areas and listed hopefully in an index at the end. Images are included of some of the sites to be seen. This would make a great starting point for a scavenger hunt around greater London on a group or family trip.
It was an excellent way to travel to London and discover new places that I will surely add to my list the day I can go back.
Some places are quite well known, other were new to me.
Lovely illustrations and interesting texts.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
A beautifully photographed book of unique places in London.From the gorgeous Annabel’s to the fantastic London blibrary.Anyone who is planning a trip to London or if your an armchair traveler this is a lovely book to spend time with.#netgalley #quartobooks
I loved this book.  It was quite a nostalgic experience looking at the photos in this beautiful book.  I lived in London for over a decade and had visited many of the landmarks and buildings.  There are also beautiful photographs of buildings not normally open to the public e.g. Lloyd’s of London - only opening for events like Open House London.

There were some buildings and locations that I just didn’t know existed e.g. Crystal Palace Subway and I relished having the opportunity to pore over the photos.

Definitely a book for anyone who loves London or has an interest in architecture / design.

Huge thanks to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group for making this ARC available to me.
Thank you NetGalley for my review copy

This book came up as if reading my mind when I was planning my trip to London after a long 8 years. I was born and raised in London, so I was interested in knowing what places the photographer could show me that I hadn’t already seen or heard of. There were a few but not many accessible to see in person unfortunately.
Photography was great, nevertheless but I was a little bit uninspired by about 60% of the places. Probably good for tourists but not for Londoners (previous or current)
Highly successful, even if my digital review copy gave a horrendous resolution to the photos involved, this book does what it wants in revealing unexplored London.  And the Natural History Museum, and St Paul's.  No, this has a great handle on what is the obscure, the unobtainable and the much forgotten, so the (replica of the?) original water handpump that taught us about cholera is here, the London Library that you can only get a sniff at through membership or certain events, and specialist clubs, are all revealed here, and it just goes on and on.  Heck, I can't ever remember actually stopping to look at Liberty's, let alone many of the other less accessible locales.

Both the text and the images give a hint as to why the most commonly visited sites also feature here – they're here, say, for the London history buff not aware Special Ops designed bombs and trained in the NHM, and for the scientist not allowed to see the stacks of stuffed giraffe heads and so much else held in storage.  Immediately following that is a storage for hypercars, and a place for your £1m wheels to have a home in London.  Forget the line that says 'if you have to ask how much it is, it's not for you,' here it's a case of 'if you have to ask where the bloody thing is, it's not for you.'

Speaking of getting in to these places, what this isn't is a gazetteer about how to gain entry.  The Crosby (Moran) Hall and the OXO tower interior would both be wonderful destinations, but there's no mention as to whether tourists are allowed (I think they're not).  Alexander Pope's grotto, now stuck under a school, does open occasionally, but you'll have to have a friend in Google to find out when.  But no, this is much more concerned with the postcard – the primer to the site, hopefully gearing you to be interested in it, which it nearly managed even with the Oval cricket ground.  It's not definitive, it's not one to carry around and be a completist over, but as a fun browse it certainly succeeds.  Wonderful photos and a firm sense of what trivia and historical detail works make this a hit.
Thank you White Lion for the opportunity to review London Explored. My main criticism was that I had to read this beautifully illustrated coffee table book on a tablet when clearly it needs to be appreciated in printed form.

As a student of London, there's always something new to discover, and I found this book a mine of information. It features many of the more familiar London icons, but includes the less familiar from the Gateshead Shield used to tunnel the early Tube to the London Sewing Machine Museum each described perfectly by Mark Daly.

Each bite-sized summation could standbon its own, but it is Peter Dazeley's sumptious photographs which sets the book apart from many London guides.
Thank you Net Galley for the ARC of London Explored by Peter Dazeley and Mark Daly.  If you love traveling around London, this is the book for you. As someone who has been to London numerous times and has seen the tourist locations, this was a pleasant surprise!  I can't wait to go back and check out many of the places shown and written about such as The Metropolitan Police Historic Vehicle Collection, London Sewing Machine Museum, East London Liquor Company, and the Clapham South Deep-level Shelter.  The author writes about each location with fun details and descriptions which blends nicely with the photographs to highlight and entice the reader to visit by the photographer. I learned quite a bit about each location but the information was not overwhelming. I love the hidden gems that are brought to the light such as the places described in this book. Enjoy reading this book as you plan your next trip to London!
This is a wonderfull book - both for those who know London well and those visiting it for the first time.
there are so many hidden gems here that I have already started planning several destinations for my next visit.
In this book you get all the info you need but also the encouragement to visit, explore and experience a London you might never have done otherwise.
Warmly recommend to anyone in search for a little beatuy and a little magic.
London Explored is an extraordinary collection of fascinating information and superlative photographs of obscure or less-visited places and monuments, several of which I had not heard of before.  I have only been to a smattering of the places listed here but there is a remedy for that.  Any time is a wonderful time to learn more about London and beyond but during a pandemic the travel itch needs to be scratched.  At least we can add to existing lists or create new adventure lists!  Which is precisely what I did.

When in historical cities such as London it is easy to be overwhelmed by extrasensory experiences.  How often have we strolled by beautiful buildings without noticing details?  When traveling I remind myself to look up and down, preferably without tripping.  In this book are chapels, museums, memorials, a "junkyard", palaces, bronze sculptures, factory and even a grotto.  Some places are purpose built, others not.

Some of these magical places include poignant The Animals in War Memorial, exotic lady's room at Annabel's, the incredibly sad Foundling Museum, riveting Grant Museum of Zoology with its Blaschka collection, The London Library which houses 27 km of books (what a dream!) and boasts memberships of literary greats, magnificent Crosby Moran Hall with its illustrious guests, Pitzhanger Manor & Gallery (that drawing room!), Keats House and glorious Garden Museum & Lambeth Palace.  There are at least sixty three such discoveries.

I learned about the "Oranges and Lemons" link and the riveting Dowding System.  Southside House is one of my favourites in this book, so whimsical with story to the rafters, Same with Sutton House, especially the kitchen.  I had no idea the London Sewing Machine Museum existed but wow, talk about interesting.

Anyone who enjoys ogling London or dreaming of it, do seek out this book.  It is sure to inspire.

My sincere thank you to Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this astonishing book.
An enjoyable journey through some of London’s less well known sites.  I lived there for a few years so they are of varying interest to me.  The most fascinating is the Italian style grotto that Alexander Pope built beneath his house.  I enjoyed seeing inside buildings like it that rarely open to public viewing.  The photography isn’t exceptional and there are few wow! moments but it would be a nice coffee table book or gift.

With thanks to White Lion / Quarto Publishing and NetGalley for a review copy.
I loved to explore London vicariously with the help of this book and I hope some day in the near future I can visit some the place that are mentioned in the book in person. It contains a lot of photos that make that desire to grow and grow until the day I can see the places myself.