Cover Image: The Mark

The Mark

Having not read any of the previous books in this series, I wasn't quite sure what to expect but what I got was a very engaging and enthralling story.

I don't think you have to have read any of the previous books to enjoy this but I recognise that there is a lot of history that is missing, particularly when it comes to the difficulties DI Blackwell has with her superior, however, I feel the author provides enough of the back-story to get you up to speed.

DI Blackwell is an interesting and complex character; she has her issues (who doesn't!) but her determination, strength and fortitude shines through in this multi-threaded story.  The cast of supporting characters are equally as good and all have their place and their own stories.  As I said, this is a multi-threaded story but the underlying plot is the branding attacks which ultimately turns into murder.  Told from both DI Blackwell's and the killer's point of view, this provides a comprehensive view of the case and into the mind and motivations of the killer.

With scenes of peril, descriptions of violence and body modification that some may find difficult, and brimming with suspense and a host of suspects, this is a book that's easy to get your teeth into and I need to thank Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for my advance copy in return for an honest, unbiased and unedited review.
Intriguing and unusual subject and an original idea. Victims are being branded with a mysterious symbol  and gradually we start to see connections between them emerging. I like this genre and the connections back to earlier lives of the victims when they were young, impressionable and seemingly invincible.
The backdrop of the story in the Weston Super Mare area was also stunning and fascinating and a locality I am familiar with so this also made the story come alive for me and provided extra interest.
The main characters were engaging and provided their own backstories and sub story lines to capture my interest. Although this is the fourth story in a series I was able to dip in, without having read the previous books, avoiding feeling out of my depth as they was enough explanation of previous events for me to keep up. I would recommend this book.
Creepy.   DI Louise Blackwell is still being dogged by her nemesis DCI Timothy Finch - head of MIT - whose team is brought in to 'help out' with a particularly gruesome where people are branded.  She's also trying to spend time with her niece,  and her parents, while trying to work as many hours as she can in a day.  Something has got to give.

Loved it.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I read a free advance review copy of the book.  This review is voluntary, honest and my own opinion.
The 4th in the series of books featuring dectitve Louise Blackwell based in Weston-super-Mare.
A young man is found on the beach with a strange symbol branded into his flesh,he has no idea who is responsible.
When more people are found branded and then someone dies of their injuries Louise suspects they will have a serial killer on the loose.
A great read with characters you feel you know,the writing is so good as usual from Mark Brolly.
A highly recommended read.
Thanks to Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the ARC.
DI Louise Blackwell's assigned to a new case. She must find the psychopath who is branding people, apparently using a blowtorch and a branding iron. Her investigation takes her back to a local group of young people who hung out five years ago. When one of the victims dies, the department steps up the investigation. She also been talking to another policewoman who was sexually harassed by a colleague who has sent several women, including Louise, anonymous, manipulative, and threatening text messages. Recommended for readers who like British police procedurals with a strong female detective. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this advance copy.
A favourite of mine, so pleased to be on book 4! Another simple story that has been written well, keeps you wanting to turn pages and guessing right to the very end! I love Louise and the other main characters in the book! Really want some love for Louise, can’t wait for book 5
Louise Blackwell is confronted with another puzzling case in the seashore town of Weston all while juggling office politics and family issues.  There were lots of false leads and red herrings as Louise and her team investigated a series of horrific branding attacks, and I followed them to a false conclusion before the truth was revealed.  Another solid entry in this series, and I hope that the promise of better things for Louise comes to fruition in later books!

Thanks to Amazon Publishing UK for access to a digital ARC on NetGalley.
This is an enjoyable series, with a dogged detective who will stop at nothing to solve a crime. This time, somebody is branding random people and Louise is trying to stop it. The crimes seem random, so it looks like she’s going to work hard to stop the culprit. At the same time, Louise is dealing with her family and trying to spend more time with them. Her team is back, and her attraction to Thomas is as strong as ever, even if she knows there’s nothing she can do about it. This may be a mild spoiler, but this volume finally resolves an issue that I wasn’t a fan of, so I was satisfied by this. This is a solid entry to this series.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, NetGalley/#Amazon Publishing UK!
DI Louise Blackwell and her team are dealing with an investigation that starts with a local drug addict being beaten and branded. He has no memory of what happened or who did it. A baffling case that means, after another victim dies, Louise has to contend with DCI Finch yet again.
This is a well plotted and entertaining read, the tension building nicely right to the end, particularly with the storyline with her nemesis Finch. Louise is a driven officer, with a good team behind her and now family support too. This is is really readable series, a good police procedural and enough twists to keep everyone guessing. A very enjoyable read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Fourth in the series and still as good as the first. Really enjoying the DI Louise Blackwell series.
Well written and engaging.
DI Louise Blackwell, has to deal with an unusual case a vagrant has been branded. It doesn't stop with just one though, it becomes apparent that there is a killer on the loose and needs to be stopped quickly. We see into the killer's mind when they take an interest in DI Blackwell!!! Louise is also battling against a corrupt cop, a thoroughly unpleasant character DI Finch..... well observed by the author, who has described him so well that I could almost smell his aftershave every time he appears on the page!!!! A great read from start to finish.
Book four of the Detective Louise Blackwell series was, for me, much more enjoyable than previous books. The series of crimes Louise and her team were trying to solve were complex and extremely interesting. While these crimes took up most of the book, there were still pages devoted to her family situation and the on-going feud Louise has had with her former partner/lover Finch. In previous books, the Finch situation became overwhelming and annoying; it was handled much better in this book and closure was finally achieved. I look forward to seeing Louise fulfill her potential as a successful, high ranking police officer in future books.

My copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review it.
I’ve been waiting so long for this new novel and Matt Brolly has delivered another winner with his latest instalment, book  four of the Detective Louise Blackwell series set in Weston super Mare, Louise is a great character, she has her demons and trust issues but she throws her self in to every investigation but she is also frustrating on how she goes about it and with the poisonous Finch still causing her problems she really needs help.
This is a book that really needs you to of read the previous novels just so Louise & Finches back story is explained  and this one had lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing to the end, but I can’t help feeling this one had an air of finality to it so it might be the end of Louise Blackwell.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish.  I found it to be a very engaging and entertaining read and one that really hit the mark with me.  DI Blackwell investigates a case where the victims are being ‘branded’ and when a victim is found murdered the investigation really starts to heat up.    I loved the separate story threads here, the twists as the story progressed and felt the book flowed really well and raced towards a thrilling end.  I enjoyed the snippets into Louise’s home and personal life and it was great to see an old enemy of Louise be found out and get what he deserved.   Overall a very well written, fast paced and thrilling read which I loved.  This series is fast becoming one of my favourites and I look forward to the next one.
Sinister, Bizarre And Brutal Attacks…
The fourth outing in the Detective Louise Blackwell series finds the quiet, sleepy seaside town of Weston-super-Mare amidst a series of sinister, bizarre and brutal attacks. With the body count rising our Detective needs to put aside her own personal battles to concentrate on catching a killer. With an engaging plot populated with a credible cast and a convincing narrative this is another excellent addition to this lively and enjoyable series.
Another engaging instalment in what is shaping up to be a good series with interesting characters and plenty of unexpected twists. I'm looking forward to seeing how the character of Louise develops next, without Finch manipulating her
Thank you Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the eARC.
DI Louise Blackwell is investigating one of the worst cases she has ever dealt with: a young man is found on the beach with a horrific wound - he has been branded with a symbol that looks like an L or maybe a swan.  He's a local addict and can't really tell.them any thing about his 2 attackers.  Shortly thereafter another victim is branded, a young girl this time.  Then the next branded victim turns up dead and Louise and her team have yet to find a connection between the victims.
I have really started to like Louise and love Molly the dog's addition to the series.  The theme of body modification is very interesting and creepy...  wow, who knew!? Also, l enjoyed the ending, which gave closure to a recurring theme.
This series gets better and better, can't wait for what happens next.  Definitely recommended!
The first victim is a drug addict. The second is a beautiful 19 year old girl. The third is a young man, found dead. All have been branded with a mysterious shape resembling a swan. Who is responsible and who is next?

While DI Louise Blackwell and her team investigate, another officer comes to her with evidence that may finally end the career of her nemesis, DCI Tim Finch, the reason for her assignment to Weston-super-Mare. The killer(s) are also characters in The Mark and their twisted reasons for the branding are slowly revealed. As Louise comes closer to learning the their identities her work collides with the Finch investigation. Will she avoid being pulled into either case and becoming the next victim?

Louise Blackwell is a strong, engaging character with strengths and flaws. She grows with each mystery in this series. Weston-super-Mare, with its dunes and back roads, is an atmospheric location. I look forward to the next in this excellent series. 5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and Matt Brolly for this ARC.
Matt Brolly is a consummate writer, and his latest is no exception.

Louise Blackwell seems to be settling back into her life when a man is found with a brand on his skin.  This disrupts her family life and brings her into proximity with her nemesis again.
 Another deftly woven plot with several potential suspects, Louise has her work cut out for her to find the attacker.

A great police procedural with a twisty plot.
Good book! This book had a great storyline! It had suspense, intrigue, action, and a few twists and turns! It was kind of a different and weird storyline but very interesting! I definitely recommend reading this one! Its well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!