Cover Image: The Secret Language of Maps

The Secret Language of Maps

The Secret Language of Maps offers a breath of fresh air of how to approach data visualization. Through a short fiction story, the reader gets to learn about the different components for approaching mapping including how to identify and explore any bias when creating or deconstructing maps / visualizations. A strong recommendation would be that this book also enters the curricula of data visualization university courses as not only is it informative, it's also written in a way that makes the reader want to find out more.
I didn't know what to expect with this book. It was somehow both captivating and educational. I truly enjoyed the graphics, the explanations and, of course, the engaging story. It's a great book that I'm glad to have in my home library.
This was a really fun book. I enjoyed the idea of a fictional story to help explain the concepts. This book would be good any kind of information literacy, not just maps.
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was around 3.5 stars for me.

This book is largely narratively lead. The fictional story within the book is then dissected throughout the book to show how that data can be presented. There's beautiful infographics and break downs of how to collect information and various ways to share that information. The book touches on how colors and format can play a role and talks about bias in data mapping.

Overall an interesting book, but not what I was expecting.
Oh, I didn’t realise that there would be 16 chapters (albeit short) of fictional narrative to read through to see how to make maps based on data from the story. I’m afraid that totally spoiled it for me. There’s  lots of good info on map making still and I spotted a few great infographics but overall, this book was  just not for me.