Cover Image: The Secret Language of Maps

The Secret Language of Maps

A fascinating approach; how to map information of ANY KIND.  The primary example provided here is a cold case of a murder.  From identifying maps vs random bits of writing, to labeling and constructing different forms, types, and styles of maps.  As well as the motivations and agendas of the map makers.

Whether you are viewing or creating a map, your bias transfers to it, and the viewer’s interpretation is altered by theirs.  Who is the map meant for?  Where and in what context?  If it says “You Are Here,” it works best in the proper location.  Is it for a crowd, a group, or an individual?  A special target group, or anyone who sees it?

As you can see, it’s a lot to cover, but the author does it skillfully—with pages of the murder mystery interspersed—through the text and chart/map examples.  I could be confusing, but it isn’t.

I was excited to read this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed both the familiar and new, as we explored why and how we map information for ourselves as a reference, and others as a tool or guide.

5/5  Stars

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for the free preview of this ebook; the review is voluntary.

#TheSecretLanguageofMaps #NetGalley
#ClarksonPotterTenSpeedPress
Who is this book for? There were moments where it seemed to be a teaching help for high schoolers and other moments where it seemed geared toward businesses. I have a degree in Geography, so I know maps, and this book is pretty useless. It gives a basic overview of the idea that maps are a way to visually express data and explains bias in both map making and map viewing but has no real depth to it. It gives no practical information about how to view and understand maps or how to actually make a map. It gives a bizarre narrative about a girl solving a mystery with maps and other data, which cool, but also seemed like a very odd way to express what it was trying to say. This book just annoyed me.
this was a very unusual and interesting book - carissa carter threads a short mystery story through an explanation of maps, how to read them, how to make them, how to get the most out of them. i loved all the graphics and the way she pulled everything together into the story, which in and of itself was very interesting! definitely one to read as you have a fun mystery as well as learning about maps!!
Quite an interesting book, with many visuals, easy to read content and a nice story to complement

This is a quick read and light read. I would definitely recommend getting a paper copy instead of a digital one due to the great visuals it has. I can see it as being a cool decoration book to have as well. It gives a nice introduction to data visualization, great for those people without any knowledge on the subject and who want to tip their toes on it. Though a enjoyed the short story she used to explain the content, I felt the back and forth a little hard to get into - personally, I would've preferred maybe if the whole content was put first followed by the short story as a study case at the end.

I received a free digital ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review
The Secret Language of Maps offers a breath of fresh air of how to approach data visualization. Through a short fiction story, the reader gets to learn about the different components for approaching mapping including how to identify and explore any bias when creating or deconstructing maps / visualizations. A strong recommendation would be that this book also enters the curricula of data visualization university courses as not only is it informative, it's also written in a way that makes the reader want to find out more.
I didn't know what to expect with this book. It was somehow both captivating and educational. I truly enjoyed the graphics, the explanations and, of course, the engaging story. It's a great book that I'm glad to have in my home library.
This was a really fun book. I enjoyed the idea of a fictional story to help explain the concepts. This book would be good any kind of information literacy, not just maps.
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was around 3.5 stars for me.

This book is largely narratively lead. The fictional story within the book is then dissected throughout the book to show how that data can be presented. There's beautiful infographics and break downs of how to collect information and various ways to share that information. The book touches on how colors and format can play a role and talks about bias in data mapping.

Overall an interesting book, but not what I was expecting.
Oh, I didn’t realise that there would be 16 chapters (albeit short) of fictional narrative to read through to see how to make maps based on data from the story. I’m afraid that totally spoiled it for me. There’s  lots of good info on map making still and I spotted a few great infographics but overall, this book was  just not for me.