Cover Image: Nothing But the Truth

Nothing But the Truth

Somehwat of a modern retelling of Liar Liar, this was a thought provoking and really great read! Im telling everyone to read it.
This is the perfect hug for best friends. I read this just in time for my 30th and it made me all the more nostalgic and appreciative. I love that this is more than a love story. It’s about loving and caring for yourself and finding liberation in telling the truth. I think we all should read this.
I really enjoyed this! It's written with a real bouncey joyfulness, and the concept (Lucy makes a wish about her birthday, and then finds on the day that she cannot tell even the most basic lie) is brilliantly silly and also not silly at all. What would happen if you had to be truthful about your work, your relationships, your clothes? Would everything stay the same or change forever? Everything in her life unravels and she's panicking and yet also -free. Very witty, with great characters.
This was very boring and bland. I loved the idea of the plot…but why did it have to be soooo detailed. I wish I could of loved this more, but it just wasn’t for me.
This was a charming story about a professional woman named Lucy Green who makes a wish the night before her thirtieth birthday for the perfect day. You see Lucy thinks what will make her happy is a huge promotion at work and getting engaged to her long-time, but very dull, workaholic boyfriend. This is the kind of chick-lit I miss! It was so refreshing because it pointed out the absurdities of our current society in a fun way. The mishaps that occur on Lucy's birthday are hilarious and I fully supported how she thumbed her nose at the pressures women feel about looking perfect 24/7 no matter how uncomfortable it is. There is a darling supporting cast of misfits who help her along the way during her misadventures on the BIGGEST DAY OF HER LIFE (or so she believes). There was a #MeToo side story that I could have done without, but this is 2022 after all so it helps to check off some boxes I suppose. Overall this story is a delightful read best enjoyed near the water with a cocktail under some shade. Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
On the eve of her 30th birthday, Lucy wishes for a perfect day. In her mind, that means landing a promotion, a new client, and a proposal from her long-term boyfriend.

But she wakes up unable to tell a lie, even to herself. Soon she’s facing truths she’d rather avoid, possibly blowing up her life in the process.

While it might not be the perfect day she imagined, it might be the perfect day she needs. It’s certainly one this reader found quite entertaining!
This was a cute variation on the movie Liar Liar and I enjoyed the humor and levity the author mixed in with the more serious undertone. I love books with a strong female main character and this book definitely had that, along with several very strong supporting characters. I really liked the humor Holly James uses throughout the book, even when dealing with some heavier topics like workplace sexual harassment. Lucy’s rapport with Adam was fun to read and I found myself wanting more of their interactions.

My only criticism is that it dragged a bit for me around the middle of the book and I began to lose focus.  Overall, I would definitely recommend checking this one out especially if you enjoy women’s fiction featuring strong, take charge women.

I listened to this one on audio and I thought Brittany Pressley did an excellent job narrating. it was a quick and easy listen as well as being very clear and concise. Sometimes a narrator can hinder a book, in this case, she definitely did not.

Thank you to NetGalley and Dutton Books for my ARC and PRH Audio for my ACL copy in exchange for my honest review.
In this novel, Lucy is a publicist in LA, and on the night before her 30th birthday, she makes a wish that her birthday the next day be the best day ever. Much to her surprise, she soon realizes the next day that her wish has gone awry and that she literally can’t tell a lie in some kind of unexplained magical way.

But this is not just like the chick lit version of Jim Carrey movie Liar Liar, as her compulsion to tell the truth involves not just the inability to lie in response to a question, but also to face the truth about what she really wants in life - and to confront her sexual harassing boss as well. Indeed, while the book also involves romance, friendship, career, and family, it is probably more than anything a Me Too book though written with a light touch. (Though perhaps resolved in a way which might require almost as much of a suspension of disbelief as the magical wish itself.) But I loved the feminist spin which definitely made this an original story.
The premise of this book hooks you in right away- reminded me of Liar Liar with Jim Carrey but a younger, hipper, cool version! The title could not have been more perfect. I loved it. I thought it was fresh and the writing was solid. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I enjoyed this gender swapped/#metoo on the movie Liar Liar.  I found this story to be fresh, fun and tackle some serious topics. I loved the lesson learned about finding your voice and speaking the truth when necessary! I really connected to the book in that way because I don't always speak up when needed.
This took me a little bit of time to get into, but once I did I finished it in less than 24 hours. I was very drawn into Lucy’s story and how she couldn’t lie (which could be extremely problematic in her work as a celebrity publicist! This was a very female power story! I loved how not be able to lie really made her examine her life and how she was living it! It would be interesting if we all had a “perfect day” like this to really examine our own lives. I loved how strong and brave she was in going after what she wanted and saying what she didn’t. I also loved the random run-ins with the cute bartender, Adam. As a woman, the parts dealing with the sexual assault was tough to read, but an important part of the storyline. I look forward to what Holly James writes next!
BOOK REVIEW:  Nothing But the Truth by Holly James
2022 Publication Date:  July 12

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐⭐️

T.I.M.E. Favorite Books To Read
T.I.M.E. Best Book Club Books
T.I.M.E. Best Books By Genre | Contemporary Fiction

CONNECT WITH A BOOK | T.I.M.E. SIMPLE LIVING TIP
As you make each choice in your day, pause and ask... Why am I doing this?...

T.I.M.E. BOOK REVIEW:  I love finding T.I.M.E. Best Book Club Books from genres that can often be thrown in a bucket of stereotypes. July seems to be rewarding me with this wonderful gift of finding multiple matches in one of my favorite book treasure hunts!

Nothing But The Truth by Holly James is a refreshing and insightful read that will both entertain you and strike a chord with any woman who reads it. Coming off the age of the "Me Too" movement, Holly James masterfully writes a story filled with humor, magic, romance and tons of insightful moments originating from the strong female lead at the center of this story.

This is no easy feat... And even more impressively, this is Holly James first novel!

Nothing But The Truth has snagged all my top book awards:  T.I.M.E. Favorite Books To Read, Best Book Club Books and Best Books By Genre for Contemporary Fiction... Yes... This book is "that" unicorn!

And I can assure you... Holly James' next book will be an auto-buy on my Most Anticipated Books of the Year list as well.

Holly is exactly the type of author I love to read... and applaud. I (along with many women) love to find stories where we can both celebrate strong female empowerment while still totally embracing being a girl.

Folks... It is not a contradiction. Get used to it... ✨😎✨

Pages:  303
Genre:  Contemporary Fiction
Sub-Genre:  Women's Fiction
Time Period:  Present Day
Location:  Los Angeles (California)

IF YOU LIKE THIS BOOK THEN TRY…
Book:  Smile and Look Pretty by Amanda Pellegrino
TV:  Good Girls Revolt (Amazon Prime)

BOOK SYNOPSIS:
It's the eve of Hollywood publicist Lucy Green's thirtieth birthday, and she's hoping for a promotion and a proposal from her boyfriend. But when he stands her up for a date and her rival colleague is determined to snag her promotion, she makes a wish for a perfect birthday filled with everything she wants.

Little does she know that her wish will be granted in the most unexpected way possible.

Suddenly, Lucy finds herself compelled to tell the truth all the time, no matter what the consequences. And when the truth starts coming out, the wish starts to feel more like a curse as it threatens to destroy her relationships, her career, and her life as she knows it.

With her new "let the chips fall where they may" truth-telling, Lucy scrambles to find a way to break the "curse" before it destroys everything she's worked so hard for.

Can Lucy find a way to break the curse before it destroys everything she's worked so hard for? Or will the truth finally set her free?

Filled with heart, humor, and a whole lot of truth-telling, Nothing But the Truth is a funny, heartwarming novel about finding out that sometimes, the best thing you can do is just be yourself.

BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION:
•  The power of truth-telling: Lucy's compulsion to tell the truth, no matter what the consequences, ultimately leads to some difficult conversations and situations. But it also opens up a whole new world of honesty and authenticity for her.
•  The importance of being honest and true to yourself
•  Explore the expectations placed on women's appearances

RELATED QUOTE:
"The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable." - James A. Garfield

--------------------

All my book reviews can be seen at This Is My Everybody | Simple Living | Denise Wilbanks at thisismyeverybody.com/blog/what-book-should-i-read

♡ Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC. I voluntarily chose to review it and the opinions contained within are my own.
I loved the idea behind this book. It was very well executed. I found myself rooting for Lucy, and the other female characters were awesome. This is a fun take on Liar, Liar, which is one of my favorite movies!
I was lucky to read Nothing But the Truth by Holly James from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  I absolutely loved this book and was gripped from the first page and couldn't put it down until way late into the night.  I can't wait to read more by Holly James.
This is a great female empowerment story with a comparable plot to the movie Liar Liar with Jim Carey. Lucy Green is a celebrity publicist who makes a wish for a perfect day on her birthday. When she awakes the next day she finds she cannot tell a lie and she has to be true to herself about everything.  While it is frustrating to only tell the truth she finds it to be a relief and life-changing. Her life had gone stale before and this one day of change has catapulted her into a life truly worth living.

This book is a breath of fresh air. While there is romance, the focus is not solely about that. It is more about personal growth and finding yourself. It really is such a beautiful uplifting story. I found it to be a quick and enjoyable read that will definitely stick with you long after the last page.

A special thank you to @NetGalley and @duttonbooks for the advance read copy of this wonderful book, which is available now!
I was kind of surprised how much I enjoyed reading this book, even with its shocking twists.

I don’t know why I was surprised about its truth-telling element in the story. But I think it’s because I caught it unexpectedly. I just thought it was a normal women's fiction read. But it does add a flair to Lucy Green's day as she lets everyone know her truth.

I never hold anything back, so I am proud that Lucy is embracing it. It may lead her to some trouble. But it is always better to face it front on than simmer on it.

Just an FYI, there are heavy topics discussed in this book. Just look it up.
Uplifting, empowering and funny. A celebrity publicist is cursed (or blessed) with a single day -- her 30th birthday -- of not being able to tell a lie. An entertaining read.
Story seems cute but I just couldn’t get into it. Very much could be a case of just wrong book for my mood these days. DNF. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advance reading copy.
This was an absolute delight! I was expecting a cute romcom, but got something even better! I loved the message of this story, and we still got a romance out of it. This cover is gorgeous, and I cannot wait to read more womens fiction from this author!

Thank you Dutton for my gifted e-arc!
Quote: “Most people will find a way to disappoint you, no matter how much you want them not to suck.” - Oliver

This is more feminist / chick lit than romcom. I mean there were a couple funny moments but it was more serious than funny. There is a romantic interest that was intriguing and kept me interested. The main theme of this book was women being mistreated in the workplace and coming together to speak out against it. It’s about a woman finding her courage…finding her voice and taking charge of her own destiny.

Overall I enjoyed this one. I did have a hard time getting into it at first though. I didn’t start to really enjoy it until I was about 20% in. I thought about not finishing it, but I’m glad I stuck it out because I ended up really enjoying it.

The main character goes through a lot of growth on her “Nothing But The Truth”
30th birthday. I’m fact a lot of the characters do. I really enjoyed Hot Bartender, Joanna and Leo. This book definitely had a great cast of characters.

If you liked Liar Liar (Jim Carey) and want to see what that’s like with a feminist spin…then this book is for you.