Cover Image: A Man of Honor

A Man of Honor

A tale of the life of Blackie O'Neill who grew up in Ireland, with kind relatives and people surrounding him. He had a young life of poverty and loss, losing his mother, father, and sister, and at the young age of 13 travelled to England to apprentice with his Uncle Patrick, a builder. The story chronicles Blackie's growth from child to adult. I found the character enchanting. He had a positive attitude, an affinity for building, a strong moral character, and a generous spirit.  A much different place from where he has come from. Obsessed with building and money, Blackie learns his trade well and is soon very successful at it. Blackie is a smart man who knows what he wants and what he will do to make it happen. He has good friends in this story and it is here that he meets Emma Harte. Like Blackie she has dreams of making it big as well.  A Man of Honor is the backstory of Emma's lifelong friend Blackie O'Neill. Born in poverty and determined to not only crawl out of it but to become a filthy rich man, Blackie is a dear, dear boy full of wide-eyed ambition. grit and determination.  I really enjoyed this prequel to A Woman of Substance. I read A Woman of Substance many years ago so this was a great addition to the story.  Can be read as a stand alone book or enhances the series of Emma Harte. I enjoyed the story as well as the tone and flow of the book.  The brogue of the Irish is well done and consistent through out the story.   Recommended for lovers of family sagas, prequels, and early 19th century English heroes.  Thanks to Netgalley, Barbara Taylor Bradford and St. Martin's Press for the ARC.  #netgalley #barbarataylorbradford #amanofhonor - Published December 28, 2021.
This was a beautiful story! I loved the characters and the setting. I was fully invested in the lives of the people, and I didn't want to say goodbye at the end!
Bradford returns to the world of A Woman of Substance with this prequel to her mega popular novel. Blackie O’Neil is only thirteen when he has to leave Ireland for England, he’s lost his parents, his sister and his home and now must start over. His uncle finds him work as a navvy in England. But it’s on the Yorkshire moors that Blackie meets his future, the woman that will shape the rest of his life, Emma Harte. I was a little nervous, A Woman of Substance is one of my favorite books and I was afraid that this book might not measure up, but it really did provide an excellent backstory and answered some questions about Blackie and Emma’s pasts. Campion literally becomes Blackie, making this a rewarding, immersive listening experience