Cover Image: The Golden Couple

The Golden Couple

It is easy to judge other people's choices. It is far more complex when the choices are your own.

Infidelity brings the golden couple Marrisa and Matt to the snarky family consultant Avery. All it takes is ten sessions and lots of determination to fix Bishop's marriage. Will they make it? Avery is ready to take on the challenge. But besides Bishop's project, Avery has multiple clients and a few serious enemies to deal with. Will she be able to keep her head in a game?

Now, let's chat about the plot. It took me a while to figure out the villain of the novel. Bravo to the authors, and that's what 5 starts are for. The rest of the plot... First of all - Bishops - I'm confused about Marissa's infidelity. She seems to be so devoted to her family, it just didn't make sense for her to cheat. And Matt, I had a hard time understanding him. He has a sharp character, but I was surprised by his genuine love for his family, and honestly, between the two - I expected Matt to be an adulterer. And Marissa's assistant - that girl gave me creeps. Her final explanations didn't excuse some weird stuff she's done throughout the novel. And at last, saving the best for last - Avery. Man, this girl takes her job seriously! All the stalking she does on her clients, and the research is beyond the normal grounds. She is all in her client's business, no wonder she grew a long list of enemies. Overall, this is an intriguing read. Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen had done it again! Thank you, NetGalley and St. Martin's Press publishers for an advanced copy of the novel!
No surprise here, I loved this book. I don’t think I’ve read a single thing by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen that I didn’t love. They are a talented writing duo, crafting twisty novels to keep you up late at night so you can try to finish “just one more” chapter. SoooOOOOoo.

The thing about this novel (as well as their prior books) is you legit can’t sleep on any of the characters they create…you just never know who to trust.  It's a fast paced book.

If you like thrillers, suspense, shady individuals and plots revolving around relationship issues then I can promise you’ll love this book.  I love anything by this writing duo so it's no surprise that I loved this book too.
Avery Chambers is a unique therapist. After losing her license for violations, she starts up her own practice using her unconventional methods which include infiltrating every aspect of her clients’ lives. Enter golden couple Mathew and Marissa who seem to have it all. Avery starts to uncover some disturbing facts about the couple and a thrilling page turner comes out of it.
I very much enjoyed this book. The ending was unpredictable and kept me up reading. Highly recommend!
**huge thanks to NetGalley for the ARC!
Preorder Book Alert. If you are a thriller lover, you need this one!!!

My favorite thriller writing duo @greerhendricks and @sarahpekkanen did it AGAIN. I LOVED this book about a couple in therapy for infidelity.

But their therapist isn’t just any therapist, she’s got an extreme method gauranteed to fix issues in 10 sessions.

The twists and turns of this story kept me on my toes, but the writing kept me HOOKED. I think I finished it in sitting.

It doesn’t come out until 3/8, but it’s so worth putting on your radar now!
A well-done, domestic thriller. I had to suspend belief a bit, but it was entertaining. I enjoyed the story of a couple and their therapist, told from dual viewpoints.
Marissa and Mathew are the golden couple perfect in every way, or are they? If they are so perfect why do they need a therapist and not just any therapist but one with an iffy reputation who has lost her license due to her unorthodox treatments and once you get into this book you will see why!
Such twisty goodness! I enjoyed this book so much this author duo truly knows how to keep you guessing and knows how to twist you around! Leaving you wondering what are these people up to and how will it all come together. More domestic thriller than mystery but still an excellent twisty book!

Karissa Vacker & Marin Ireland narrated this one wonderfully! I highly recommend this one in audio!

4 Stars

I received this book from the publisher Macmillan Audio and NetGalley for a fair and honest review.
Another compelling domestic thriller from the writing team of Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pakkanen. This audiobook kept me walking the dog, folding the laundry and cleaning the house-- my highest review of an audiobook! The story involves a golden DC couple, Marissa & Mathew and the fallout from Marissa's one night stand. Enterer therapist/fixer/investigator Avery Bishop to 'solve' the couple's relationship problems but gets into much more than she charges for. (Love this hybrid character and hope she returns for another book!) There are twist, turns, shady side characters and a fresh DC setting. The narration duties are ably shared by Karissa Vacker & Marin Ireland, who bring considerable skills and authentic sensibilities to the job. Well paced narration in a thriller is key-- some narrators go to 11 in chapter 1-- but these two voice cover female , male & children with equal skill and measure. Enjoyed!
This book was a solid 3 stars. I liked it enough. The characters were just ok, it was a little slow all the way throughout but not unbearably so, the plot was intriguing enough but nothing mind-blowing, the twists were kind of interesting but very predictable. I don’t know if this was really as “ok” as it felt to me or if I had unrealistic expectations because of how much I loved An Anonymous Girl by the same authors which in my opinion had way more fascinating characters, plot, and twists. I will say I did really like the narrator. It wasn’t bad it just wasn’t great and I went in with very high (too high?) hopes.

Thank you NetGalley, authors and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
I normally try to wait until closer to pub dates to read my NetGalley books but with this one I just couldn't resist diving in right away. I was able to alternate between audio and e-book and found both formats to be enjoyable, however I liked listening to it just a smidge more.

In The Golden Couple we follow a couple who is going to therapy using an unconventional therapist. It has the what the heck are these people hiding vibes but thankfully not the unreliable female narrator crap that I loathe even though I didn't particularly care for one of the main female characters.

Overall I thought it was a solid thriller with a plotline that I didn't predict right away, so a major plus.
I was really bummed when I was turned down for a review copy of Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen’s fourth thriller, The Golden Couple, but then I was given access to the audiobook review copy - elation! I have rated all three of their previous collaborations at 4 or 5 stars and this latest one is a similarly gold standard psychological thriller.

Marissa and Matthew Bishop are the golden couple of the title: gorgeous, wealthy, successful, and apparently happily married. But Marissa has slept with another man and has approached an unorthodox therapist, Avery Chambers, to help them fix their relationship. Avery claims to be able to fix any problem in just ten sessions and by just their third get together, the Bishops seem to be miraculously back on track. If only Marissa’s lover would leave them alone….

Once again, this is written as a two-hander, this time with Avery narrating in the first person, and Marissa’s section written from her point of view. These two women are complex layered characters with many secrets up their sleeves that are gradually and organically teased out. There are characters in the Bishops’ (and Avery’s) lives that are also in overt or covert disguise and they add to the tension and the mystery.

The plot drives along and loops around, connections are made and unmade, discoveries both foreseen and unexpected are woven in. All the time the two women are wholly sympathetically trying to maintain control of their own lives while outside forces from the past and present threaten them.

This is another winner from Hendricks and Pekkanen (a golden couple, if ever there was) and I highly recommend the audiobook with its two distinctive and pitch perfect narrators.

Thanks to Macmillan Audio and Netgalley for the audiobook review copy.
Marissa and Matthew seem to have it all and from the outside looking in appear to be the "golden couple". That is until Marissa suggests they visit a therapist, Avery, and she reveals that she had an affair. Avery uses her unconventional ways and promises to solve the couples problems within ten sessions.
Things are not as they seem, and as the book continues it is revealed that everyone is hiding something of their own. What a whirlwind as each page reveals new secrets, connections, and red herrings. This book was a bit slow in the beginning but it kept me guessing until the very end. It was a quick read that I enjoyed.
Best book I’ve read this year ! I love all books from this author duo. This one really captivated me with its page turner story of infidelity, mystery and moxie .I hope the authors decide to make this a series.
      Avery is a renegade therapist,who lost her license getting caught doing some  shady investigating. Her new case with the Bishops  propels her into their lives in every way possible.
She has no boundaries for prying and it makes her a very Interesting character.
      Marissa Bishop has cheated on her husband and hires Avery for the 10-sessions and done ! Therapy . She starts out a rather meek woman and by the end is very strong.
      Matthew Bishop, the husband, is rightly upset with his cheating wife. Will they be able to get back on track ? His character changes a great deal also
     There are several side stories that are interwoven. The ending was a surprise and I found it covered most everything that had occurred.
     Loved the book ! Thank you NetGalley and Bookoutre.
These two never disappoint with a good story. This one is twisty! You will suspect everyone, who is behind the darkness for this golden couple?
This was a quick listen. I enjoyed it but figured it out rather quickly. Even with that being said I still enjoyed it. Not my favorite by this dynamic duo but if you’re looking for a fast paced, quick read this one is it. The narrator definitely kept me invested to the very end.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for advance audiobook in exchange for my honest review.
#TheGoldenCouple

“Romeo is healing from his traumas, but he still bears scars. We all do. Some of ours are just more visible than others.”

Who loves toxic characters and literally is a sucker for any kind of domestic drama? It’s me! It’s me!

The Golden Couple by one of my favorite writing duos, Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, is a solid thriller with twists and turns that makes it one bingeable read.

I honestly couldn’t wrap my head around what underlying sinister thing was there, even though the authors did lie bread crumbs along the way. The ending was explosive and perfectly written, not too long, but not too short, and it was in front of my eyes the entire time. We did two stories happening and I’m glad we got resolution for both of them. I felt as though this was a start to a series as how well we got to know Avery and Romeo. I wouldn’t mind her unconventional therapy being a series.

I thoroughly enjoyed the narration from Marin Ireland and Karissa Vacker. I did get a bit confused between Avery and Marissa (who was who) but the voices really helped me not get confused and really amplified their respective characters. They kept me on my toes in anticipation and I could feel their love and need to fix the situations in the reader’s voices.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. Definitely a popcorn binge thriller that caught me off surprise. Thank you so much MacMillan Audio for the gifted copy! This is out March 8th!
You can’t go wrong with a Hendricks and Pekkanen thriller. I’ve read them all and enjoyed every one of them.The Golden Couple was a suspenseful read that kept me glued to the story. Told from two alternating perspectives, Avery - a couple’s therapist who lost her licence but continues to treat couples using an unconventional treatment method, and Marissa - who has cheated on her husband Matthew and they begin working with Avery to save their marriage.

This book was full of hidden surprises and small twists. The characters were nicely carved out and the plot moved along at just the right pace. The only weakness was the ending in that it didn’t quite live up to the build up. The build up was so riveting it felt as though the reader was being promised something very big was to come but then didn’t quite deliver at the ninth hour. The ending was good but just didn’t live up to the rest of the plot.

The audiobook performance was terrific. Two different narrators represented the two different perspectives. I thought both fit their character and did a marvellous job in their acting. Definitely worth the listen if you enjoy psychological thrillers.

A gracious thank you to Netgalley and MacMillan Audio for an advanced audio copy in exchange for an honest review.
A fabulous psychological thriller.  It kept me guessing to the very end.  I throughly enjoyed this book. The narration was done well too.
Thank you #MacmillianAudio,#SaintMartinPress, #GreerHendricks, #SarahPekkanen, #KarissaVacker and #MarinIreland for the advance audiobook for my honest review.
I absolutely loved this book. Multiple layers of intrigue expertly handled, with lots of suspense, some great twists, and everything coming together beautifully in the end. There is never a sense that something a plot development or connection between characters is too much of a coincidence because the authors do such a great job of tying everything together so that it makes total sense. As is the case with the prior books I've read by this duo, the writing is always excellent and all the characters, including secondary ones, are well developed. I listened to the audiobook version and this only added to the experience; both of the narrators were first rate. Many thanks to St. Martin's Press, MacMillan Audio, and NetGalley for the ARC of this highly recommended book.
If Avery can’t fix you in 10 sessions, she won’t take you on as a client. Avery’s unconventional approach to therapy has recently caused her to lose her license to practice. What should have been career suicide has only grown Avery’s client wait list. Marissa and her husband, Matthew, appear to be the perfect couple but Marissa seeks out Avery to help her confess to Matthew that she has cheated.

You know I love a book with some infidelity but I was stumped as to why Marissa was desperate for Avery’s help, only to lie to her and be uncooperative. Maybe I missed something but the truth is, Marissa just got on my nerves. I liked Avery for the most part but there is zero chance that a therapist would be so reckless in real life. Her unorthodox methods made for a juicy read and I wouldn’t mind reading a sequel with more of Avery’s questionable antics.

I was sucked right into this story from the first chapter. It started out SO strong but I definitely enjoyed the first half of the book more than the second. There were a lot of pieces to this puzzle, some relevant and some not so much. With so many characters and sub plots, it was clearly the intent to confuse the reader and I admit to second guessing the intentions of each character. The story was definitely twisty and kept me guessing right until the end.

Previously, I had only read one book by this duo and I thought it was terrible. I am so glad I wasn’t deterred from giving them another try because this book was definitely a winner for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and MacMillan audio for this ALC in exchange for an honest review. The Golden Couple will be available on March 8, 2022!!
A new pulse racing page turning piece of suspense from the celebrated writing duo of Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, beloved favorites of mine. They’ve never disappointed me with any of their books and The Golden Couple is no exception. I flew through it under 24 hours and that’s saying something for me because ever since I started my new job it takes me 2-3 days to finish a book, but this was unputdownable. I was hooked from the very first chapter; told back and forth from the perspective from a rogue therapist who has lost her license and continues to treat patients as a “consultant” and her client Marissa who has cheated on her husband and dragged him to the therapy meeting with Avery.....on the outside this beautiful twosome looks like they have it all, they are the “golden couple”....but there’s some dark hidden secrets in there past.....

I’d love another book centered on Avery. I thought she was an incredible narrator. The ending was a little predictable. Not quite what I expect from Greer and Sarah. But. It was a wild ride and I loved it.

4.5 ⭐️