Cover Image: The Golden Couple

The Golden Couple

The Golden Couple by Sarah Pekkanen and Greer Hendricks kept me guessing until the very end. The subtlety here ... *chef's kiss* I didn't see that ending coming. Hendricks and Pekkanen seem to be bettering their craft and really coming into their own. Bravo!

Special kudos for working with Marin Ireland on the audiobook. She does such a great job narrating.

A big thank-you to the authors, publisher, and NetGalley for a copy of the ARC. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Love every book from them and thus was no different. Great thriller! Loved the story and plot kept me guessing. Would definitely recommend! Thank you NetGalley for this ARC
This is such an incredibly interesting novel. I really found myself lost in this book in the best way. I was in from the beginning. There were so many little bits within the story that really kept me from being able to guess what was going on and I really liked that. A lot of really strong characters in this one!
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have enjoyed all of this writing pair’s other books so was looking forward to this one. As they usually do, they spun a tangled web with a lot of twists and turns. There was a lot going on in this book and I wasn’t sure how they were going to tie it together in a credible way, but they did. I kept going back and forth on what I thought was going to happen, so that was good writing on their part. A quick, engrossing read.
This is a twisty thriller that will keep you guessing until the end! I could not put this book down. The story of the golden couple and the therapist had me enthralled. The authors do a fantastic job of creating credible doubt in all of the characters motives that you don't know what or whom to believe.
ARC given in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. I won’t give any spoilers in this review but I wish I could! The story and writing of these authors kept me engaged and wanting more the entire book! When I say I lost sleep over this book, I’m not kidding. I was supposed to be asleep hours ago but here I am writing this review at 3:00am because I just HAD to know how the story ended. If you like psychological thrillers with well developed characters, this is the book for you!
Ahhhh...this book was fantastic.
I love a good thriller and Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen are becoming one of my go-to authors for this genre!

These characters were complex and the storyline riveting and all that I want in a psychological thriller.  I began this book by reading it and finished listening to the audible (thank you Net Galley and Macmillian audio).  Avery, Matthew, and Marissa have a story that will keep you guessing until the last page.  The twists, turns, and deceit that takes place in this book is of epic proportions!  Just when I thought I figure it out - boom another twist I didn't see coming.
Avery had her own story going on outside of Matthew and Marissa's which was a bonus for me.
 I loved every second of it!

The narrators were perfect and gave Avery and Marissa a voice that helped keep me entertained.
I am a big fan of Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen books but this one may have been my favorite yet. Avery has a different approach to working with her clients, in fact, it's so different she's no longer holding a license to practice therapy. Instead of killing her business its made her business flourish. Marissa and Matthew Bishop appear to be the perfect couple on the outside, both have thriving careers, they have a beautiful home and an adorable son. Life couldn't be better. That is until Marissa cheater and wants to repair her marriage. The Bishops find themselves on Avery's couch which sets all three of them on a course no one can imagine. This one had me guessing up until the last minute and truthfully had me snowed until the last few pages!
4-4.5 stars. Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen make a great, thriller-writing duo. I enjoyed this one a lot! That said, I found one of the side-plots (having to do with Avery) a bit unbelievable and not entirely necessary. That said, I hadn't really pieced together what was going on until a few chapters before the reveal. The shifting perspectives and boundary-breaking "therapist" made for a fun domestic read. No one can be trusted...
I really enjoyed this book! I liked how there were essentially two different mysteries going on throughout but they were both entangled in one another. We were trying to figure out (1) how the people in Matthew & Melissa's life were tied into Avery and the secret she has been keeping from a prescription drug company while also trying to figure out (2) the odds and ends of the Bishop relationship and what secrets they have been keeping from each other and from Avery. There were a lot of characters in the story and I think the authors did a great job developing each and every one of them. So much so that I was genuinely shocked with the way this book played out. It is a little slower in the beginning but I was completely sucked in because I had to know how things turned out for both Avery and the Bishops!

Thank you so much to Greer Hendricks, Sarah Pekkanen, Macmillan Audio & NetGalley for a copy of this ALC in exchange for an honest review!
Excited to read or listen to other books by these authors.  A huge thanks to Netgalley to review the novel. Avery's methods to "fix" people are definitely "unconventional".  Multiple plots that are cleverly knitted into the story line.
I love these two. I can't help to have so much respect for the work that must be involved for two authors to write consecutively. Who wouldn't like two stories for the price of one? This book was interesting from the first chapter and keep you engaged.

Marissa and Mathew seem to have it all. Successful carriers, a wonderful son, and a marriage others long to have. Till Marissa has an affair and they seek out Avery, a fixer of sorts. This is where things start to get interesting.

The narrators did a wonderful job as well. I always enjoy multiple narrators in an audiobook. It really paints a better picture.

Loved the book and love these two authors.
I've read one other book by this author duo before, and I had found it wasn't to my liking. I did want to give them another go though, and this book was much more interesting to me. I enjoyed the twists and turns carefully woven into the plot. Throughout the narrative, I was constantly rethinking my theory on who the main culprit was. (I did manage to figure things out before the end, but there were a few moments where I had my doubts.)

I particularly liked Avery's character, and I'd love to read more books that she's in as one of the POVs. The only thing that didn't work for me as much was her backstory of how she lost her license. It would pop up randomly throughout the tale and distract me from the plot. Often, one part of this side story would come in, dominate Avery's chapter, and then disappear for a stretch, and I was left thinking, "What was that about?" It wasn't until later when I was kicking it over that I'd remember her side-tangents and I'd say, "Oh right, that one." Having two side storylines for her (the one with Skylar, and the one with her report to the FDA) detracted from the main draw of the story - Marissa's stalker. I would have been totally fine with one or the other, but not both. At times I was like, "Wait, is this Skylar or the other thing?"

Overall, I did enjoy this book. I was hooked by the fast-paced plot and the constant twists and turns. Having listened to the audio version, I thought the narrators were both great. I'd like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced listener copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I always enjoy another book by Hendricks and Pekkanen, their creative deception is fun to read and try to puzzle out the twists ahead of time.

This book features Marissa and Mathew Bishop, a married couple who has come to see counselor Avery Chambers. Avery's unorthodox methods are known for getting results, but they aren't always aboveboard or appreciated. The crux of the problem is that Marissa has cheated on Mathew, and she wants to bring her infidelity into the open so that they can try to heal their marriage and move forward. But certain things make it seem as if the man she slept with won't let go so easily.

The Golden Couple is very fast paced and intriguing. We alternate between Avery's and Marissa's points of view and learn that everyone in the book is harboring many secrets. I listened to the audiobook which has two narrators: Karissa Vacker for Marissa and Marin Ireland for Avery. I love Marin Ireland's narration, and she gives Avery just the right edge to her voice to make her both empowered and yet relatable. I don't know if I was supposed to like Avery's character, but I really did. Marissa, on the other hand, I found to be a bit hysterical and over the top with her actions and reactions.

I would like to say that I didn't figure out the twists ahead of time but I did figure out most of them. However, I was generally okay with that because the way things play out is what makes this book so captivating. I was totally invested in the story and found many excuses to listen to the book throughout the day in order to find out what was going to happen next.

This is another excellent psychological suspense thriller from Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, definitely pick up a copy when it releases in March 2022.
WOW! This was a great thriller that had me going the entire time.

Avery is a master. She will fix your life in 10 sessions, and if she can't? You're not a client.
Marissa and Matthew Bishop have been experiencing some marital issues and turn to Avery for help. They seem like the perfect, golden couple, but Marissa cheated. Matthew seems to be open to reconciliation, so Avery gets to work.

Avery isn't your typical therapist - her methods are pretty controversial (she actually lost her license because of it) but she is effective. Avery starts to notice small things that just don't add up to what Marissa and Matthew are telling her.

Everyone thought they got all the secrets out in the open. But the worst ones are still hidden...
Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen are a powerhouse duo, delivering twisty, intimate relationship-driven thrillers typically focusing on therapy, manipulation, infidelity, and marriages. The Golden Couple is set up to be just like their other hits, but unfortunately, it fell a bit flat for me. Avery Chambers is a "maverick therapist," a practitioner who has a patented 10-session method guaranteed to fix any presenting problems her clients come in with, using traditional and non-traditional therapeutic methods. When Marissa and Matthew Bishop, a beautiful, wealthy, "golden couple" come in with the presenting problem of Marissa's one-time infidelity to Matthew, Avery is ready to repair their marriage. But Avery soon learns that Marissa and Matthew are in quite a complicated web of personalities and problems that throw a wrench in Avery's perfect 10-step plan.

We meet many, many fishy characters surrounding both the Bishops and Avery: Polly, Marissa's overbearing assistant who is maybe a little too obsessed with Marissa; Natalie, Matthew's old girlfriend and someone Marissa feels is still in love with Matthew; and Skip, a mysterious flame from Avery's past who seems to have something else up his sleeve.

This book has all the ingredients for a great thriller, and I thought the writing as you dive deeper and deeper into the couple's web of lies keeps you engaged the whole way through. But as with so many thrillers, it's the last 10-15% that really make or break the book, and the ending didn't quite deliver for me. Another nit that I have is that as the authors start to get into the rising action climbing towards the inevitable twist, there are way too many red herrings - I do appreciate some well-placed feints to get you moving in a different direction (for example, I think The Maidens does this really well) - but the effect of the red herrings in this book is just confusing. It felt like the plot was branching out into all these directions with no hint as to where the narrative would end up going.

Lastly, by the time we got to the end, I didn't feel as invested in these characters or their resolution as I was expecting, or even as invested as I felt in the beginning of the book. Perhaps it's because the characters (particularly Marissa) shoot themselves in the foot so many times that they become less sympathetic.

Overall, the set-up of the book seems like it would deliver a great twisty thriller, but the delivery didn't work out as well as I hoped. Thank you to Macmillan Audio and St. Martin's Press for an ARC and audio ARC via Netgalley!
The Golden Couple is one of my favorite 2021 reads!  Avery is a former therapist who has a unique 10 meeting method to help people.  When Marissa contacts her for couples therapy with her husband, who she recently cheated on, she ends up taking on the "Golden Couple" as a client.  But nothing is as it seems, and no one is being completely honest.  Avery soon realizes that the Bishop's relationship is more closely entwined with her personal life than she ever could have thought.

An easy five stars for me - the story was entertaining and suspenseful, I didn't see the twist coming until it was there, and the characters had depth.  Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.  #TheGoldenCouple #NetGalley

Rating: 5/5
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

4+ stars

Well done thriller. Avery is a former therapist who lost her license and is now a consultant. She has unorthodox methods. Matthew and Marissa come to Avery for couples therapy after Marissa cheats. Tightly written there is a lot going on and several subtle twists.

I had both the digital book and audio book.  I preferred the audio book with excellent narration by Karissa Vacker and Marin Ireland.
I have read all of Greer Hendricks' and Sarah Pekkanen's books and have enjoyed them all. This one was no exception. It was a fun read all the way through and kept my attention. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
In The Golden Couple we meet Marissa and Matthew the picture perfect couple who on the outside have the life everyone envies. Unfortunately, Melissa slipped up betraying her husband Matthew. Enter Avery an unconventional therapist whose uses unorthodox methods of rebuilding married couples in ten session marital counseling.
Marissa and Matthew are not Avery’s only clients. However, Avery spends the bulk of her time investigating them. Avery’s methods are similar to that of a private investigator. Clients tend to keep secrets only sharing what is necessary during therapy sessions. In order to get the fuller picture of the Bishop’s lives she uses carefully planned means of retrieving information. She scrutinizes there lives on her own terms.
The story alternates between Avery and Melissa’s point of view. Marissa is a wife, a mother, and a small business owner. Her recently employed assistant Polly admires Marissa. Avery is a widow, a stepmother, and a therapist.
Avery’s seen radical transformations in her clients. Although, she’s made a few enemies along the way. As we follow Avery’s life we discover she herself has a secret. As Marissa tries to rebuild her marriage we discover that she too is hiding a secret.

Narrators:
Karissa Vacker
Marin Ireland

Often times you hear readers say they wish they could re-read a book with that same unexpected perspective. Well I felt that way with revisiting this book. As I sit back and listen to these narrators voice the words that Greer and Sarah wrote I find myself rediscovering a story I read only a few weeks ago. Hearing these narrators perform the voices of both Marissa and Avery has reintroduced the story in my mind. It’s like reading the story for the first time except I have voices in my ears instead of the sound of my own brain creating what might be the voice of Avery and Marissa. This gives me the opportunity to hear things that I might’ve not heard before. My focus is redirected in other places picking up key facts. With several working parts between Avery’s life, Marissa’s life, and Matthew’s life I can be more alert in those areas picking a pieces I might’ve missed when I read it.