Cover Image: Blood, Sweat & Chrome

Blood, Sweat & Chrome

A really fascinating and thorough look at the making of Mad Max: Fury Road. I knew beforehand the production was fairly tumultuous, but didn't realize quite how insane things were. It is truly a wonder that this beautiful film was made at all.

The book covers all aspects of the production, with interviews with actors, stuntpeople, producers, crew, writers, critics, and more for a really full look of the decades it took to bring Fury Road to the screen (and the many, many stumbling blocks along the way).

If I have one quibble, it's that much is made of the Tom Hardy/Charlize Theron tensions on set, and I noticed in skimming the sources that I don't think Hardy was interviewed for the book, instead his side of it is all archival interviews. That did change my opinion on how he comes across in sections of the book, and I wish that had been made more obvious.

Still, a very fascinating read and if you enjoyed the film at all, there are so many amazing stories about the making of George Miller's masterpiece.
I received this as a e-galley from NetGalley.

This oral history was super readable and full of oh!shit! they really did that?! It made me want to rewatch Mad Max Fury Road 5 more times.
Mad Max: Fury Road was a movie over 20 years in the making, and this book covers all the ups and downs the filmmakers had to go through to get it to the big screen. Even knowing that the film eventually becomes a beloved hit movie with multiple Oscar nominations (and a few wins) didn't keep me from being gripped by the story of the many stops and starts that almost killed this long gestating sequel. This is an oral history, so it's told by multiple POVs and it keeps the story moving fast. I'd recommend this for anyone interested in Hollywood movie making.
If you're a die-hard Mad Max fan, curious about the aura surrounding Mad Max: Fury Road, or want a peek behind the Hollywood curtain, I highly recommend you check this out.

It's a linear history about the Mad Max franchise and the kindhearted genius who created it told through interview snippets from the crew, cast, journalists, and major Hollywood players who are die-hard fans. As a Fury Road lover who admittedly hasn't seen the previous four films, it was a fascinating, educational read.

It clears up some misconceptions (the notorious bad blood between Theron and Hardy was largely because Hardy's deep commitment to method acting strained his relationship with the entire cast and crew. not because Theron was difficult to work with - she was the opposite, actually), intriguing trivia (Eminem was briefly considered to play Max, and the short list also included Jeremy Renner and Armie Hammer!), and insight into the 10+ years that went into pre-production alone.

It's a wild ride of a book and a smooth, well organized and enjoyable read.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and William Morrow for providing a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Publication date: February 22, 2022