Cover Image: Hotel Portofino

Hotel Portofino

Absolutely loved this book historical fiction at its best.Ivwould love to stay in the Hotel Portofno .The characters come alive can’t wait to watch this unfold on pbs.#netgalley #hotelportofino
Italy, 1926. After the Great War, Bella convinces her husband to leave the past behind in England and to buy a hotel in Portofino, where they honeymooned, and have a fresh start. And they do so with their children and household help. Their hotel is known for English speaking guests and the first of them are mother and daughter, who are British, and quite charming and opposite, setting from the start an interesting atmosphere.

The story is character-driven and there are a lot of them. So I wished they were a bit more developed to help remember who is who and what distinguishes them as individuals.

Events of the story happen mostly in one place, there is not much to the plot. It is mostly filled with everyday events and conversations.

It is certainly written with originality, you can hear the British accent and humor. As the synopsis claims, it is perfect for fans of Downton Abbey and The Crown.
I’m ecstatic to watch the PBS series after reading this. I think it’ll be fabulous on screen. I enjoy books like this a lot!

Thank you NetGalley & Blackstone publishing for the eARC in exchange for an honest review. Pub date: Jan 18
Oh my goodness, there is a lot going on in this book!  I can totally understand why it's being done as a series on PBS next year.  There are a lot of layers in the storyline and so many interesting characters.

Set at the Hotel Portofino on the Italian cost, there are so many storylines - Bella is running the hotel, her husband is a disgrace - they're trying to find a match for their son Lucien.  Their daughter, Annie, and her daughter live at the hotel with them.  Their guests are so eccentric and demanding!

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for a temporary, digital ARC in return for my review.
I want to stay in the Hotel Portofino in the Italian Riviera. 1920’s clothing and hair styles, intrigue, great food, swimming in the Mediterranean Sea. Snooty and bad-tempered guests, dangerous liaisons, raconteurs, crooked local politicians, jealous paramours, arranged marriages. You disappear into this novel from the start. I didn’t want to finish this book – I want more!

Wow -- what a book!  This is not a feel-good story but it is so fascinating.  I stayed up late to finish it.  I cannot wait to see the PBS version in 2022.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Blackstone Publishing through NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.  Thank you, Blackstone Publishing.