Cover Image: The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard

I absolutely loved this sweet romcom!  MC Hannah, who is the last thing you'd think of when thinking of a body guard, is assigned to protect a well known rock star, Jack.  The assignment comes because Jack is being stalked by a fan and needs protection.  Fast forward to the pair having to "act" like they are involved for Jack's family and sparks start to fly.  I loved the characters and the realness of them.  This book had me feeling SO much and that's hard to do in a romantic comedy for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the eARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  Definitely a 5-star read and highly recommend.
This book was so fun and sweet! Hannah is the bodyguard in this story and she protects a handsome movie star. This was different than most stories I read where a bodyguard is involved and I loved it. I laughed out loud more times than I can count and swooned a few times. This was such a great story!

Thank you #Netgalley for providing me an early read of #TheBodyguard
I love every book I've read by Katherine Center. There are not many authors I can say that about. She immediately pulled me in with Hannah's sense of humor, even while terrible things were happening to her. I love that Hannah's profession is one you wouldn't expect for a young petite woman. I love the big scene toward the end of the book where Hannah is so kind and so wise even after what she's been through. I finished this book in two days, which is saying a lot with how busy work has been. Center continues to be a "go to" and "autobuy" author for me. While her books are so easy to read, they are not simplistic. They are delightful reads which make me teary and laugh out loud. There is a lot of heart and wisdom in her writing which definitely comes across to this reader. I highly recommend this book as well as Katherine Center's backlist. You won't be disappointed. Thanks to #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress for an early copy in exchange for my honest review.
Omg this was so cute, so manny emotions , love it , amazing story, strong characters , totally will recommend
Jack Stapleton is a famous actor who has returned to his Texas home to be with his family as his mother recovers from cancer. There’s a tiny issue though—Jack has a little bit of a stalker issue and he doesn’t want his family to know. His agent has insisted he have a security team while there, and Hannah is assigned as his primary bodyguard. How will Jack explain this interloper to his family while not sharing that he may be in danger? Why, she’ll have to keep her cover by playing Jack’s new girlfriend of course!

This is my second book by Katherine Center. I recently read Things You Save In A Fire this past year, and noticed there are some similarities between the stories. Both feature a strong female protagonist who work in male dominated fields. And both stories had the main character in forced physical proximity to an unlikely love match.

Since both books had such similar formulas, I’m wondering now if all of her titles follow this same kind of storyline. I did enjoy this one (as I did her previous). It was a light, feel-good kind of romance, and I do like that the women are written as strong, independent characters. I’d recommend this if you’re in the mood for something light, and especially if you are a fan of this type of romance trope.
Hannah’s alcoholic mother has just died which seems to her boyfriend, Robby, to be an ideal time to not only dump her but to humiliate her in the process. And instead of being sent to London for work, she is instead assigned to protect Hollywood heartthrob Jack Stapleton from a middle-aged stalker.

Sure, Jack’s good looking with perfect abs but it’s not really the career building assignment she needs. When her ex returns from Madrid with a new lover—Hannah’s former best friend—and she has to go under cover to Jack’s parents’ ranch, Hannah is near despair.

But Jack’s parents are adorable, Jack is charming, and even older brother Hank has some redeeming qualities.

While the story line might sound unoriginal, Katherine Center’s ability to craft incredibly likable (or despicable, in some cases) characters sets her work apart. And the snappy dialogue moves the story along. Katherine Center is the rare writer who creates unputdownable novels that make you feel better about the world. Her books are like giant hugs. #TheBodyguard #NetGalley
Huge thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin’s Books for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was a bodyguard story based a female bodyguard, Hannah, and her principal Jack, a famous movie star arriving back in Houston to attend to his sick mother. Tensions have been high since the loss of his brother Drew and older brother Hank would not let him forget it. As her last request, Mama Stapleton requests all her boys to come stay with her on the ranch leaving Hannah no choice but to tag along and play girlfriend to Jack and the story goes from there.

This was good summer read if you need a break from reality. Some parts of the plot were stretched and exaggerated for action purposes but I was good with it. Hannah could hold her own in fight however I didn’t like the dynamic of her and Jack. He was unnecessarily mean at times but then showered her affection. Hannah is written as insecure and timid when it comes to relationships. This creates an unhealthy dynamic. I didn’t get behind them as a couple so it made it hard for me to root for them. However, I liked the bodyguard trope so that kept me reading. The side characters were interesting and that’s really what kept me engaged.

Overall, I’m giving this 3 stars on account of the side characters. However, I wouldn’t read this again and probably wouldn’t recommend it.
Center has done it again! The Bodyguard is absolutely delightful. I’ll be honest, despite my adoring this author I was a little hesitant because the blurb made the book seem a bit contrived but that was me having little faith.

Hannah is a lovely protagonist. She made me laugh so much, feel so much, I rooted for her so hard and got angry for her. Hannah was this book for me. That’s not to say the other characters aren’t great but there was just something special about her for me.

The pace clips right along at such a solid pace that I’d blazed through one-third of it without even noticing one night. It’s just *fun*. The banter in particular is amazing. Center has such a knack for witty, wry humor voicing and I loved it.

I’d definitely recommend this one, as I always do with her books. It’s enjoyable in every way, especially with the protagonist Hannah who steals the show as one of the most relatable and hilarious characters I’ve read in a long time.

Note: I received a free electronic edition of this book via NetGalley in exchange for the honest review above. I would like to thank them, the publisher, and the author for the opportunity to do so.
The Bodyguard was a fun read. Hannah Brooks is a trained bodyguard (LOVE THAT!) and she is a work-a-holic because she doesn't want to face being alone. She is given the job of guarding Jack Stapleton a famous actor through his mothers cancer treatments. There is a pretend GF/BF that moves the story along. I enjoyed the story and banter which kept me moving through this book pretty quickly. The romance is a spice level of 1 and was a very slow burn.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
the bodyguard by katherine center review ✨

“And loving other people really does turn out, in the end, to be a genuine way of loving yourself.”

rating
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

the bodyguard is about a bodyguard, hannah, who is put on assignment to a celebrity, jack, who has a stalker. hannah has to pretend to be jack’s girlfriend in order to protect him and love is in the air 🫶🏼 lol

tbh I love that hannah is the bodyguard! I wasn’t expecting that when I first read the title/saw the cover of the book and it’s really refreshing to see the roles reversed. this is probably the perfect “rom-com”, not extremely realistic but there were pretty funny aspects to the story (like the way the stalker was described) and it was a fast paced read for me. was definitely hooked throughout the story and I honestly needed something light!

I loved the way jack’s parents were written and just seeing how much they cared about others made the story a lot better. some of the other characters in her little bodyguard agency were a bit much lol but it created the drama. hannah was a bit annoying at times, but her recognition of what love means was relatable and I appreciated that. jack was also surprisingly super sweet and it made me love his character even more ❤️ (there is also like no smut at all so this is a cute romance without the smut)

would definitely recommend if you want to read a cute & funny romance! 🤍 also this book has a special place in my heart because it was my first ever approved arc from netgalley.. thank you @netgalley and @stmartinspress !! ✨
What a delightful and fun book! It would definitely make a great beach read. Katherine Center is a great storyteller who never fails to entertain. Yeah maybe there were parts that were predictable, maybe there were some clichés and maybe there were some tropes but none of this prevented it from being a truly fun read.

The Bodyguard tells the story of Hannah Brooks who at 5’ 5” and female, works as a bodyguard. Her boyfriend Robby also works at the same place, which anyone can tell you is a potential recipe for disaster. Hannah’s Mother passed away and the next day Robby dumps her. All Hannah wants is to get an assignment far away so she can escape the pain. But her boss has different ideas and puts her in charge of protecting Jack Stapleton, a successful actor who happens to be ultra handsome.

Center gives such depth to Hannah and Jack that you cannot help but like them and root for them. They are both believable and relatable. Their banter is a lot of fun and they just seem perfect for each other.  Hannah’s inner monologue is very entertaining while providing the reader an additional way to understand the character. They each have emotional baggage that they are able to share and ultimately overcome.

Run, don’t walk to read this book. You will smile and laugh and ultimately feel good! Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for an advance reader copy in exchange for my honest opinion.
I'm obsessed. It’s humorous and endearing at the same time. I’m new to @katherinecenter but oh man am I fan now!! This book is an absolute delight. Thank you to @netgalley and @stmartinspress for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I have loved all of Katherine Center's previous novels. Before I even finished this one, I posted in several reading Fascebook groups and texted my reading buddy group chat that they all must get this laugh out loud book and read it immediately. I loved the concept of the woman being "the bodyguard" and that she was little and not at all typical. And I love the internal chatting with the reader throughout the book. What a fun read that made me want to keep reading and not put this one down!
I LOVED THE BODYGUARD! Unique, beautifully written, clever, and relatable - everything one wants in an amazing romance.
A very readable romance. It is predictable, but tge overall charm makes up for the plot defects.

I enjoyed it and I know that this is a great beach novel.

Thank you Netgalley.
calling all rom-com lovers 📣 [thank you @netgalley and @stmartinspress for the advance reader copy]

Full disclosure, I absolutely loved Center’s Happiness for Beginners, but didn’t care much for How to Walk Away, Things You Save in a Fire and What You Wish For.

I therefore went into The Bodyguard with very low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised though!

This book about a bodyguard tasked with protecting a celebrity male movie star ticked a lot of my romcom boxes (banter, slow burn, a perfect mix of romantic tropes) and made for the perfect pool read. I flew through it.

I’d say The Bodyguard is heavier on the romantic comedy than her other novels. I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being adapted for the big screen at some point.

It wasn’t a 5 ⭐️ read for me because I didn’t care for the cheesy life lessons at the end. I also wasn’t a fan of how the story pitted women against each other.

But overall: a fun summer escape read that will leave you with a smile on your face ☀️🥰
Dare I say, this is quite possibly one of my favorite books by Katherine Center?!? I loved The Bodyguard. It's just an all around fun read. The characters are likable, believable and certainly there is definite chemistry. The plot is pretty straight forward. Jack is a Hollywood superstar. Hannah is an executive protection agent hired to guard him.  Much like Center's other books, there is a lot beneath the surface. The subplots, Jack's relationship with his family and Hannah's professional and romantic issues, add a lot of flavor to the story. There is romance and conflict all mixed in with some really heartfelt moments. The dialogue between Hannah and Jack is deliciously fun. Even more, it's genuine and flows so easily. And Robby, or should I say Bobby. had me feeling all sorts of bad ways about the character and I love it! His abusive and dismissive demeanor got under my skin. I love when an author can make you feel not only the good about the characters but the bad feelings as well. I did have a few issues with the story overall, but honestly, they were so insignificant that it didn't change how much I enjoyed reading the book. Overall, a great rom-com. It's fun, sweet, and definitely one I would recommend.

A big thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the eARC and the opportunity to read and review The Bodyguard by Katherine Center.
I absolutely loved this book. I found myself not wanting to put it down and devour it, but also at the same time savor every word and Hannah & Jack moment. This book has your bodyguard trope, fake-dating trope, and totally gave me Miss Congeniality vibes. It is the full package for any romance book. Something that really sets this book apart from others is that not only does it deliver with a love story that makes you feel every emotion, but the author does an outstanding job of bringing up life lessons. You fall in love with the story and the characters, but also take away from reflection and relate to the issues that they are going through.

Now to our main characters, Hannah and Jack. I felt like Hannah was such a complex character, & not in a bad way. It starts off with her mother passing away (not a spoiler), and then is followed by another negative event. You can tell that Hannah is just not happy with her life, and then she is thrown into the whole "when it rains it pours" life sucks situation. She really starts off at rock bottom, and i enjoyed watching her progress throughout the story. Also her commentary to the reader is too funny and was a great touch by the author. Jack, I loved from the start. His quirky personality really sucks you in and has you swooning for a fictional man. Not only that, but I love that fact that the author made a point to show that this big-time actor really is a normal human. We see Jack's "normal" qualities are something that throws Hannah for a loop, and I enjoyed each and every one of those moments. The dynamic between Hannah & Jack has you smiling throughout the book, and really gives you the true love moments.This is an all-around amazing book that every romance lover needs to read.
“It’s as if loving somebody—really, bravely, just all-in loving somebody—is a doorway to something divine.”
I loved this book!  I don’t give many 5 star ratings, but this one just checked all the boxes for me! One of my favorite books of the year, so far.  Katherine Center is becoming a must read author for me.
✔️Likable characters
✔️Funny, sweet, romantic and swoony
✔️Cute plot line, but has substance and some suspense
✔️Serious issues were handled thoughtfully
✔️Happy ending
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for this digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I’ve enjoyed several of Center’s books but this one was BY FAR my favorite! It was so stinkin fun! I found myself thinking throughout, “this is so cute!”

It was charming, entertaining, and the voice of the writing had me laughing aloud. Just when we were getting about to the climax of the book, I found myself thinking “hmmm, I was expecting more of ____ to happen” (no spoilers 😉) and just as I thought that, it turned and I got exactly what I wanted from it.

What a sweet, delightful, summer read! It was also a nice closed-door romance, which I appreciated because open door scenes aren’t really my favorite. I highly, HIGHLY recommend this book!