Cover Image: With Love from London

With Love from London

OMG, such a great book. Sarah the author has such a lovely way with words and feelings. Not a lot of books make me cry, but this one did. The story is told from two different voices, Eloise and her daughter Valentina. Each chapter is dedicated to one of these remarkable women, that just draws you into the book. Of their love loss, their joys and sadness. If I could I would give this book ten stars, but alas can only do five.
I am grateful to Netgalley to give me this chance to read an advance readers copy.
"With Love from London" is any book lover's dream read. With a librarian inheriting a bookshop, the overarching literary themes dig into the soul of a bibliophile. It's a beautiful story of reckoning with love and loss
I wanted to love this book. I was hooked immediately based on the synopsis. Unfortunately the pacing overall was too slow for my taste. As such the book did not hold my attention. I have opted to not review this title outside of NetGalley.
I have read all of her books and they are wonderful stories

I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my honest and personal review.
This book was just what I needed.

A book about a librarian that INHERITS A BOOKSHOP!

While I have never been a divorcee or estranged from my mother, there is something so familiar about Val. This story is delightfully charming and and I was emotionally invested by the end of the first chapter. The portrayal of grief is beautifully written.

This was my first Sarah Jio book, and it certainly won't be my last.
Sarah Jio is one of the first authors whom I've read who introduced me to the dual storyline within a book concept. I've always loved this concept when it is well written because it is like getting two stories in one book. Ms. Jio is one of the finest writers I've encountered who write this way. Her previous books have dealt with a current day story and one in the past and are usually more of a historic nature. This book is a much more personal story because the past and current time feature a mother and daughter.

The current day story centers on the daughter Valentina whose mother, Eloise, left her when she was a young girl. Valentina goes to London after her mother's death and learns about her mother's life through her friend Millie and a wonderful scavenger hunt that her mother invented for her. I truly enjoyed all the characters in this story, and I thought that even though Valentina doesn't meet her mother in the flesh, she truly gets to know her.

I also enjoyed Eloise's story of how she came from London to California and became a wife and a mother. My only with problem with her story is how she came to be separated from her daughter. This part of the plot was a little flimsy for me.

All in all, an enjoyable read about relationships and also the power of books to heal.
This checked off everything I look for in a book. Was not disappointed. Really enjoyed this book.  I will read more from this author. Thanks Netgalley for letting me read this.
Give me all the London! I loved this book. Not just because of the London setting but just because it was one of those books that wraps you up in a blanket and makes you feel all fuzzy and warm. This was a delightful read and I really appreciated the way it got me out of my head and into someone else's! Thank you Netgalley!
A heartbreaking book that our mc learns to navigate grief, loss, and having to rebuild herself again after the loss of her mother and recently divorced her husband. The ending did feel like a hallmark movie which is ok. I think it's a good read revolving around love and the mc rekindling her meaning of home.
As an international educator, I'm always looking for books that explore different countries. In With Love from London, Eloise has to go to London and find herself. She connects with locals and discovers tidbits about the local culture, so it's definitely a book I can recommend to my students, especially with London being the top study abroad location for US students. Beyond the educational value, this book is beautiful and heartwarming.
Seattle-based librarian/bookstagrammer Valentina Baker’s marriage falls apart when her husband leaves her for a younger woman. Amid a painful divorce, she is notified of her estranged mother’s death and her inheritance of her mother's bookstore in London.

This story alternates between two timelines and is weaved beautifully together. Any book lover will appreciate the journey of Valentina as she tries to keep the bookshop going and her journey through family, friendship, and second chances.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for this early copy in exchange for a honest review.
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this book. I felt a strong connection with the main character that made me so excited to see what was going to happen next!
As a librarian who dreams of owning a bookstore and a person who use to have a bookstagram account, I connected so deeply with this Valentina! She was charming, kind, and had so much growth as a character; is was endearing! This story was well written with the dual plots from mother and daughter, and I enjoyed getting to know them alongside each other which was something they weren't able to accomplish in their stories. The characters were wonderful, and the story was beautifully told! I only gave it 3 stars because it was a bit predictable, and I didn't quite miss the story once I put it down. With that being said, I would still recommend this book!
This one had the makings of a book I would LOVE (and I've loved some of Jio's past books, particularly Violets of March). A librarian who inherits a bookstore?! Yes, please. Sadly, this one fell a little flat for me. It was a bit predictable, a bit unbelievable, but still a fun, lighthearted read.
Eu não posso ver um bom drama familiar que logo quero ler. With Love From London conta a história de duas mulheres que são pegas nas circunstâncias da vida e na teia de mentira de homens que deveriam amá-las.

Eloise é uma jovem Londrina típica do final dos anos 1960. De classe baixa, trabalhadora e que sonha em encontrar seu príncipe encantado. Em uma noite ela encontra Edward, um herdeiro que a deixa encantada, mas que some. Enquanto é cortejada por Frank, um americano que promete o sonho a ela. Anos depois conhecemos Valentina, uma mulher na casa dos trinta anos que acabou de se divorciar depois que o marido a traiu com uma mulher muito mais jovem. Acontece que Val é filha de Eloise, que acabou abandonando o marido e a filha e voltando para Londres. Agora Val recebe um comunicado que a mãe faleceu de câncer e que deixou um prédio com apartamentos e uma livraria para ela. Val então decide embarcar nessa viagem e talvez descobrir o motivo da mãe nunca ter retornado.

Sarah Jio entrega uma chocante e emocionante história de duas mulheres vítimas da sociedade e da manipulação de homens inescrupulosos. Minha única ressalva é que faltou e muito ódio por parte da Val, o pai dela foi um completo idiota com a mãe e no final ela nem mesmo xinga ele.

No mais foi bem legal acompanhar como Eloise se esforçou para estar perto da filha mesmo depois de sua morte, o que me rasgou o coração, pois ela merecia muito ter vivido um amor com o Edward e ter reencontrado a filha.

Val, por sua vez, fica completamente confusa em como a mãe pode dar tanto amor a crianças estranhas, mas não a ela. Isso é algo que me chamou muita atenção no livro, ela segurava certa animosidade que não teve com o pai quando a verdade foi revelada.

Há um romance em curso nessa história para mãe e filha, mas confesso que esse livro é na verdade sobre o relacionamento das duas e sobre como uma mãe pode amar uma filha mesmo depois de deixar esse plano terrestre.

Eu recomendo demais para quem ama um bom drama familiar.
Sarah Jio was one of the first authors I read while transitioning from young adult novels in high school to adult novels. To this day, she remains one I look fondly upon. I've recommended her to library patrons no less than 20 times and no one has returned with bad things to say.
With Love from London is a book that plays on every book lovers fantasy: being gifted a bookshop. While Val might have been estranged with her mother (through no fault of her own), she dives deep into her mother's world and learns more about her than she ever thought she would.
Jio is able to write stories that are heartfelt, warm, and yummy. She entices readers in the first sentence, and holds them captive until the end. This book was a delight, which was no surprise.
Valentina has just broke up with her fiancee Nick when a letter arrives; her estranged mother Eloise, who lived in London, has passed away and Valentina has inherited her bookstore. Valentina, takes a flight to London and leaves her broken (love) live in Seattle behind. Valentina always wondered why her mother, when Valentina was young, left her and her father all of a sudden without saying goodbye, and without any explanation. She hopes to get some of these long awaited answers in London, where she meets Millie, who was Eloise's best friend and who runs the bookstore since Eloise passed away. Eloise has left letters for Valentina, and this is the start of a treasure hunt about Eloise's past, which gives Valentina answers about her mother and her own past..

I loved all of Sarah Jio's previous books, so I was thrilled and very curious for her new book. And it totally topped my expectations.The story of Valentina and Eloise is just breathtaking and moving, and absolutely beautiful. It is a story that surprises you on every page. It is charming and thrilling at the same time. I loved how the chapters alternated between Valentina in the present and Eloise in the past, and how they connected during the story and in the end. The bookstore on Primrose Square that she inherits plays a big part in the story. It was Eloise's dream and life and it is Valentina's task to keep it, altough the store is in danger because of redevelopment plans. But this is the perfect task for Valentina, who after reading Eloise's letter is determined to set on her mothers work for the future.

Overall this is a brand new jewel of a book by Sarah Jio, don't miss out on this one!!
This book definitely has its charm. I love it when a bookstore is part of a story. It thrills me. I also enjoyed that this was a little bit of feel-good mental fluff, which I kind of wanted right now. I will say, that like many good bits of mental fluff, there are moments that are corny and that stretch belief. But, I'll allow it. There's books and a little scavenger hunt. Newfound friendships and some self-growth, all of that good stuff. Is it all kind of predictable? Sure. But there's also some cozy comfort in that, which I think is what the author wanted for her readers. If so, mission accomplished.
I absolutely LOVED this book.

Such a light story with a great plot. I love the premise of the scavenger hunt way more than I feel I should. I feel like if I was left something like that, I would be so amused!

Definitely recommend this book.
🇬🇧 With Love From London 🇬🇧

I’ve been saving this photo from my honeymoon in Aruba for the perfect book and I finally it found it! I read With Love From London by @sarahjio this week and I adored it.

This story takes place between two points of view; Valentina, a woman recovering from a hard divorce when she hears her estranged mother has passed away and left her flat in London to Valentina. Her mom abandoned her when she was only 11 and she never heard from her again. The other POV is Eloise, Valentina’s mother who is in the past explaining how she returned to London. Valentina decides to impulsively fly to London to see if she can understand more about her mother and why she left her so many years ago.

The story goes on that Eloise has left a little scavenger hunt for Valentina. This was the best part of the book for me. I loved the clues she left and all the people and stories she heard while exploring her mother’s life. This is an incredibly emotional novel. There’s a lot of feelings involved between Valentina’s relationships with both of her parents and her ex husband. This is one of the author’s finest works and should not be missed.