Cover Image: With Love from London

With Love from London

A sweet frolic thru London is just what the dr ordered. An easy beach read from an author I have never read. I will look forward to more!
This was a sweet romance, but what I loved best was the setting. London, a bookstore, a quaint neighborhood with interesting characters, etc. The perspectives of the mom and daughter too were a great tie in, and I loved the idea of a scavenger hunt throughout. A feel-good read for sure.
I really love the way Sarah Jio writes her books and the way this book was written and how everything was put together was perfect
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House-Ballantine for the chance to read With Love from London and share my review voluntarily.

Valentina a is recently divorced librarian and book-instagrammer living in Seattle when she learns that her estranged mother has passed and left her a bookstore and flat in London. Valentina travels to London and begins to learn the truth about her mother’s move that felt like abandonment. Valentina meets friends and finds her calling in this heartfelt tale of missed opportunities and lost loves.

I loved this story. It took me 3 chapters to feel fully needed engrossed in what had happened and why. As I read I developed a sense of foreboding for both Valentina and Eloise. I loved the dual pov of Mother and Daughter told decades apart. I also loved the similarities and points of empathy build through the use of story telling.

I thought that the romances seemed a bit far fetched and it relied heavily on the love at first site trope for Eloise and Edward.  I also wished we could have had more insight into Frank’s wide swing.

I loved the way the friendship and eventual epiphany with Valentina was covered.  The theme of identity was strong and well examined.

Pick this up if you’re looking for a love story between mother and daughter and to build a deeper appreciation for the strength and sacrifices motherhood demands.
With Love from London was a delight of a book! Set mostly in Primrose Hill in London, it's as cozy-feeling as you'd hope it would be. There are romantic storylines, but overall it's more a story of healing after loss, forgiveness, the family you have and the family you choose, relationships, creating a new life for yourself, and that there's always more to the story than you know.

Add in dual timelines, a scavenger hunt, and saving the local bookshop, and you've got a perfect escape. I can't wait to read it again, and recommend it to anyone who's looking for a story with depth that feels like a warm hug and leaves you hopeful.
Great book by Sarah Jio! I have been waiting for a new book by Ms. Jio for SO long and I'm thrilled it's finally here! This is easily one of my favorites so far.
With Love From London by Sarah Jio is a perfect contemporary for those who enjoy a book that talks about books. This dual timeline novel has two narrators, interesting characters, and an ideal setting. If you are looking for a book to add to your spring TBR, this is one to watch for.

If there is one book setting that I can’t pass on, it is a bookstore. Valentina’s estranged mother passed away and gave her ownership of a London bookstore. She heads to London to make a plan to sell the shop, but winds up falling in love with not only the bookstore, but the life her mother made for herself there.

❀ PERFECT MAIN CHARACTER

Valentina is a perfect main character, as she is relatable and determined. Having recently divorced, she uses the opportunity in London to explore a different side of herself. It is enjoyable to watch her grow and form new friendships, and I found myself rooting for her quite often while reading.

❀ ALTERNATING TIMELINES

The story is written with alternating timelines that explore Valentina’s present life and her mother’s past. The two timelines work together and slowly reveal Eloise’s struggles for leaving her daughter behind. It also includes a scavenger hunt, fun side characters, and some romance, but the focus of the novel is really the mother-daughter relationship.

❀ A FEEL-GOOD STORY

With Love From London by Sarah Jio is a book for those who love a bookstore setting and a feel-good story about mothers and daughters. The characters are compelling and the story is one that will resonate with many. I am looking forward to trying some of the author’s other books.
Books about books are my favorite so this one was a no-brainer for me. I was sucked in from the beginning, which is always a good sign!
This book is so good. By the second chapter I instantly connected with the characters and I was majorly invested. Sarah Jio’s writing style is just brilliant and beautifully written!! The grief along this journey of Valentina’s in this story of self discovery was so good! ‘With Love from London’ accomplished so much definitely a tear jerker.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

With Love, From London by Sarah Jio

Thank you to @netgalley and @ballantinebooks for this ARC that published on 2/8!

Valentina is a recently divorced 35 year old librarian from Seattle who has just learned that she inherited a bookstore across the world from her estranged mother. From Valentina’s view, her mother, Eloise, left California to move back to London when she was 10 years old and never made contact again. Arriving in London, Valentina’s mother sends her on a post mortal literary scavenger hunt where she begins to learn the truth of what happened and gains friendship and support from those who loved Eloise the most. Valentina helps save the bookstore, begins to heal from her mother’s abandonment, and becomes enchanted with her life once more.

This was pretty lovely all around! Books, love, London, what’s not to love? There was also a lot of depth to this story- the truth of Eloise’s abandonment is heartbreaking and hard to get through. Valentina must reconcile her view of both of her now dead parents without being able to have a conversation with either of them. Overall, this was a cozy and enchanting book that was a perfect read for a cold week in Chicago.
At first I didn't like Valentina's mother.  Because at first you only have Valentina's view of her mom and the choices she thought her mom had made. But as you read and the book alternates chapters between Valentina in the semi present day and her mom Eloise in the past.  As you get the whole story your view or at least mine starts to change. And you see that because of things neither could control they both didn't get the life they wanted.

I always enjoy reading books that feature librarians or bookseller as the heroine, because as a library assistant jobs involving books are near and dear to me.  Though they aren't generally my go to as I sometimes use reading to escape.  However I do have to mention that while this a women's fiction book it does deal with grief and the lose of a mother.  Books about losing a parent can be hard for me to read. However as a reader I can handle reading books about losing a mom because I've already experienced that. Though almost six years later I still dealing with that grief. And though I didn't lose my mom to what Valentina lost her mom to, I still had to watch my mom fight that same thing.

All in all it was a good read. I cried reading it so have tissues handy but there were also moments in which I did laugh as well.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
One of the many poignant points in this novel is that books find you and this book definitely found me when I needed it most. It's a feel-good story built around family, love, forgiveness, and writing your own story. There's a touch of romance, a little mystery, some regret, and a lot of love from a mother to her daughter. The book is a light, quick read, but it has a lot of depth and feeling in the pages that make it worth the journey.
I freaking loved this!! If you're a Sarah Jio fan, I don't think this will disappoint you. When a young woman inherits a bookshop in London from a mother that she hasn't seen in years, she just wants to sell. When she gets there though, she begins to fall in love with the neighborhood, her new friends, the bookshop, and maybe......a new man. Along the way she finally gets to the know the mother she thought she knew. Loved everything about this story. One of my new favorites by Jio.
Valentina has just inherited her mother’s estate. She has not laid eyes on her mother since she was a young child. So, this is not exactly what she expected. But, when she arrives in London, she finds a mystery and life changing information which changes her mind about her mother.

Valentina thought her mother just up and left her when she was a small girl. But it seems to be a bit more complicated than that. She discovers things were not as they appeared and her father was not the man she thought he was.

What is it about a novel that has a bookstore in it and book references that just tend to make you just fall in love? I enjoyed so much about this tale! I could just picture the book store and Percy the cat. Add in the book references and the scavenger hunt…and I was hooked from start to finish!

Need a feel good story with great characters and BOOKS…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today.

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review.
I have been a big fan of Sarah Jio's previous work so I was thrilled to read this latest book. This book follows both Valentina and her mother, Eloise. Eloise left when Valentina was little and never came back. Now Valentina is in London to take over her mother's bookstore.

I really was much more interested in Eloise's sections and life than I was with Valentina's sections. I definitely felt the past was much more intriguing then the present day. Valentina seemed nice and all but there was nothing about her that really stuck out to me.

Overall I did enjoy this book and would definitely be interested in reading more from Sarah Jio.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the galley.
This was the first book I've read by this author and I enjoyed it. It was slow to get started and a little slow in the middle, but it kept my interest.

I did not like the sadness though. It was sad watching Valentina discover and lose her mother all over again.

Valentina inherits her mothers book store after she passes away. She struggles to pay the inheritance tax, which if she defaults, she'll lose the bookstore and her mother all over again.

She befriends her mother's tenant, Lizzy and Miller, her mothers childhood friend. They work together with the community to save the bookstore.

We follow both stories, Eloise and Valentina's in 2 different story lines but both intertwining.

I just reviewed With Love from London by Sarah Jio. #WithLovefromLondon #NetGalley
Amazing! This book hooked me from the moment I started reading! It is truly one of the best books I've read in recent times. The plot was intriguing -- who wouldn't love to inherit a bookstore and it had an apartment! The characters were interesting - Val the brokenhearted daughter and Eloise, her mother.

I had not previously read any books by this author I'm sorry to say. Needless to say, I will be looking for them at the library! She tells a story that has so much heart.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this book.
A literary work of art. Ms. Jio's books always make you FEEL! Newly divorced Valentina suddenly receives a bookstore in London from the mother who left her when she was 12 years old. With the bookstore, she also inherits quirky characters and clues about her mother. As Valentina finds the clues from her mother, she also finds herself. As usual, a lovely story from Ms. Jio.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest review**
Sarah Jio never fails to make me cry (in a good way). She magically weaves a tale set in modern times, then flashes back to the past, bringing the characters together in a way that burrows in your heart and leaves a lasting impression. The book shares alternating chapters between Valentina (modern day) and her mother, Eloise (past) and captures your interest from page 1. Valentina was abandoned by her mother when she was 12, but after moving to London and inheriting her mother's bookstore when she passes, Valentina unravels stories from her mother's past that makes her question life, love and loss. This book was enchanting, emotional and SO good to read- especially the scavenger hunts and the friendships with Millie, Liza and Eric (and Percy!).  This is a book for someone who loves books and loves love.
Thanks to Netgalley and Ballantine Books for the gifted book I read along with the library audio.

This book is a love letter to books and how they can be the tie that binds. It's also an ode to the bond between a mother and daughter despite less than ideal circumstances. I was drawn in by all the fun elements: an inherited bookstore, a quirky neighbor, and a literary scavenger hunt courtesy of a dead mom, and I stayed for the endearing characters and and sweet story. This book covers the gamut of topics and I was here for all of them: grief, first loves, female friendships, found families, mothers and daughters, second acts, and forgiveness. Overall I would categorize this one as contemporary women's fiction, but it does have some fun romance elements.