Cover Image: Mulberry Hollow

Mulberry Hollow

When a handsome handyman faces a medical emergency on the Appalachian trail, his sudden appearance in town challenges an ambitious doctor’s plan to remain single for life.

Avery Robinson decided to be a physician after helplessly watching her mother lose a battle with a terrible disease. Now at risk of developing the same illness, Avery guards her heart from love. She’s driven to protect her loved ones as a workaholic doctor in the tiny mountain town of Riverbend Gap, North Carolina.

Contractor Wes Garrett is hiking the Appalachian trail, in memory of the man who died saving his life, when an illness racks his body. After an agonizing fifteen-mile hike to Avery’s clinic, he collapses on her doorstep. He recovers to find himself in debt again—but this time to a beautiful doctor.

When he decides to help her renovate a rundown carriage house, the obstacles to their attraction sprout like weeds—starting with the woman waiting for Wes at the end of the trail. Will he be able to relinquish the debt he owes his best friend? And will Avery find the courage to risk everything for love?

My review:  Avery has a mission in life.  That is to be a dr. and help as many people as she can along the way.  She will never marry as she doesn't want to take the chance of her spouse/children suffer the way she saw her mother suffer.  She can take a test to see if she is a carrier.  But she is afraid.  Then she meets Wes. He became her patient when he became sick on the hiking trail outside her town.  Wes hiking to complete the wish of his friend who died while saving his life.  Wes will do just about anything to stay out of debt.  So when he finds himself in debt to the dr., he does contract work to pay off his debt.  Along the way the two find themselves falling in love.  But Wes thinks he needs to marry his friends sister out of gratitude.  So what are two people supposed to do who love each other but don't think they can?  Read the story and find the answer.  It is a good clean read.

I was given this book Thomas Nelson via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not compensated in any way.
Wes is trying to remember his friend and fulfill the things he would be doing to  help his sister. When he becomes I’ll, he gets medical attention and meets Avery. Avery became a doctor after a horrible loss. When Wes needs medical treatment, she does her best  to help, but will it be enough? There’s a definite attraction but will either act on it?
This is the second Riverbend romance and I loved it as much as the first. Mulberry Hollow is Avery's story, the youngest of the siblings. Avery is a step-sister of Cooper and Gavin and they take watching over her very seriously. Avery's mother died of Huntington's Disease and she is worried that she could also have the Huntington gene or at least be a carrier. She has decided she will remain single and do what she can for others in her role as doctor and owner of the medical clinic. Contractor Wes Garrett is hiking the Appalachian Trail in honor of his recently deceased best friend when he falls terribly ill. He stumbles into the nearest town and soon finds himself indebted to the beautiful young doctor who owns the clinic. He can't afford to pay her so they make a deal, he will renovate the carriage house on her property in exchange for the medical care he received. As they spend time together, their relationship changes into friendship, then deeper feelings. Wes has to leave to marry and take care of his best friend's sister, and Avery is not going to marry, but can they fight these feelings?

I am enjoying this series with it's wonderful setting and characters. I have never wanted to hike the whole Appalachian Trail, but I have been enjoying learning about it, and how the towns along the way support the hikers, but also how the hikers keep the towns afloat. Avery is a wonderful character. She is a caring woman who wants to spend her life helping others. She is beloved by her family as well as the town. I can't fathom what life would be like being afraid you have a terminal illness, but I was frustrated seeing how fearful she was to even live. Wes was a great swoon-worthy character. His life had been affected by his past, but he wasn't as willing to give everything up as easily as Avery. They made a great couple if they can work through their baggage. This was another emotion packed story with anger, joy, sadness, happiness, humour and love. Being a Christian Fiction Romance, there are references to prayer, God's plan, faith and acceptance. I am looking forward to Harvest Moon, the third and final book in this series, which will be Gavin's story.
These are the kind of love stories that I really enjoy reading. Where the main characters, start off as friends, get to know each other and develop feelings over time. When the other characters provide help and even though some like to cause havoc, their intentions are meant well. The story also felt that you were there with the characters in the relaxing scenes of Riverbend Gap.
I really enjoy reading about this characters and can't wait to get to know them more.

Thank you NetGalley, Thomas Nelson, and Denise Hunter. I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Mulberry Hollow by Denis Hunter is the second book in the Riverband Gap series.  An excellent story that is well written, has a good flow, and is very enjoyable.  This is Avery and Wes’s story.  These two have issues that they are trying to work out.  Their warmup is slow but steady.  I was so captured that I read this story in one day.  You will enjoy this one!
Thanks Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
A delight for the mind that virtually touches all the senses and emotions. Denise Hunter treats readers to stunning scenery, family, community, restoration, redemption, and healing in this beautiful story with a dazzling cover.

I received a copy of the book without obligation. This review is my opinion.
“What is it about that town? It just does not want to let you go.”

Mulberry Hollow has a way of drawing people in and making them want to stay. This is the second book in the Riverbend Gap series, but could easily be read as a stand-alone. However, my guess is you will want to go back and read the first one. The characters are engaging, the town is inviting, and it just makes you want to call it home. I found this heartwarming romance between Avery and Wes to feel very real and their issues and romance to flow very naturally. As they gradually open up to each other they realize they have more in common than they thought.

“Her new motto was, “plan for the worst, hope for the best.”’

Wes is trying to make up for a tragic circumstances after losing his best friend. In his heart to do what seems right and good, he is thrown by his feelings for Avery. I was riveted by his character. He was just a neat guy. Another great thing about this book was seeing Avery deal with the possibility of a serious illness. Her focus was on what might happen versus getting the results to find out if it was a possibility. However, her fear of dying like her mom cast a dark shadow in her outlook on life. It stole her joy and hope for a full life. I really loved seeing her grow in this area. Hunter did an amazing job in revealing that we can find hope even in the midst of trials.

“He cupped her face. “Avery . . . you’re the strongest woman I know.” “I’m scared to death.” His insides went soft and mushy even as a smile curved his lips. “Don’t you see? That only makes you braver.”’

This really is a beautiful story about finding love unexpectedly. Both Avery and Wes are stuck in the past due to their grief and survivor’s guilt. Hunter writes a story that is poignant and life changing. I thought it was gripping and inspiring, as well as utterly romantic. Wes and Avery’s journey to finding their happy ending is wonderfully done and I highly recommend it!

I was given a copy of this book through NetGalley by the publisher. All opinions are my own and have been given honestly.
Better than a great big hug:
This book was fabulous and like a hug for my soul. It flowed effortlessly and I was immediately drawn into the story. I felt an immediate connection to the main characters and liked them as both individuals and as a couple.
It was lovely being back in Riverbend Gap and whilst part of a series, this book could easily be read as a standalone.
My heart went out to Avery as she struggled with a potentially life threatening medical diagnosis and how she should live given its shadow over her life. Wes was also dealing with his own guilt and self-imposed expectations and I liked the personal development that both characters underwent. There was a light Christian thread in that the characters went to church and prayed but I would have liked to have seen faith play a bigger part in their lives.
All in all this was a delightful book. Now I can't wait for the remaining siblings story, I am sure it is going to be a doozy.
I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
Oh, so good! Denise Hunter always tugs on my heart with her emotional stories and this is one of her very best.
Mulberry Hollow is the second book in the Riverbend Romance series by Denise Hunter.  The book takes place in Riverbend Gap, a little town not far from the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina.
The book opens with Wes Garrett sick.  He had been hiking the Trail but had come down with something that he could not fight.  He made it the fourteen miles to the medical clinic run by Avery Robinson who had just celebrated her thirtieth birthday.  She had become a doctor and come back to her hometown to help the sick.  Could she help his sickness?  What made him want to stick around to help her?
Hunter once again brings humor and realism to her storyline, keeping the reader turning pages.  I look forward to reading the next in this series about the Robinson family.  I enjoyed reading this book.
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.  #MulberryHollow  #RiverbendRomance #DeniseHunter
series
second book, can read as a standalone
but you will want more of the story

read in entirely in 1 day

love this family, characters, and storyline!!
This was such a good read!  The characters were ones that I could easily relate to.  The situations they found themselves in were well written and well thought out.  I don't think there was ever a time that my basic thoughts were "You've got to be kidding me."  That's not always easy to accomplish.  Well Done!
MULBERRY HOLLOW is the second book in the Riverbend series by Denise Hunter. Its Avery’s story and it is sure to pull on the reader’s heart strings. It will surely give you all the feels, let me tell you. My emotions were all over the place and I was giggling one minute and tearing up, the next. I really liked the setting of the small town of Riverbend and the connection to the Appalachian Trail and its history.  I really got to know the people of this beautiful, small North Carolina town and I also know I will fall more in love with all of these characters as each book releases.

MULBERRY HOLLOW is a wonderful story of a blended family that will worm their way into your heart. Avery is the small town’s doctor. One night when she arrives at her home, which is above her doctor’s office, she almost stumbles over Wes. He has been hiking the trail and is very sick. He needs help, has no where to go, and is a complete stranger. So of course, Avery allows him to stay with her. Hang on to your seats! The twists and turns will keep you flipping the pages long into the night. Avery has a big secret that she doesn’t share with just anyone!

MULBERRY HOLLOW is a quick read that you can easily read in one sitting and love every minute of it. It is one heck of a crazy emotional roller coaster ride. I have never met a Denise Hunter book that I didn’t love and once I started reading I knew I was going on one heck of an emotional journey! Whatever you are reading, put it down, and run and get this book! If you’ve never read a Denise Hunter novel (and you know who you are) this would be a perfect one to hook you!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley. All opinions expressed are my own and were voluntarily given.
The second installment of the Riverbend series, Mulberry Hollow was just as brilliant as the first.

The story centers around Dr. Avery Robinson who graduated in record time and rushed back to her small hometown to set up a clinic. Caring for the community, on the edge of the Appalachian trail is Avery’s main focus after losing her mother to a devastating condition, one she has a fifty-fifty chance of inheriting.

Wes Garrett is hiking the trail in honor of the friend who saved his life. His trip is halted when a medical emergency forces him to seek help in Riverbend Gap. Wes has no insurance to repay Avery for her services, so, he offers to work off the debt by fixing up an apartment for the extra doctor she desperately needs to hire.

The brilliant characters and real-world issues in this story kept me up reading way beyond the time common sense dictated. And I don’t regret one extra application of concealer. We’ve now heard from two of the Robinson clan, and the third installment should be equally amazing. Roll on Fall…
I love the Appalachian Mountains and I love Denise Hunter's books! Need I say more! This is the second book in the Riverbend series and was just as good, if not better, than the first book! Avery is still the only doctor at her clinic and on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, when an ill hiker stumbles to the clinic. Wes has no insurance and offers to do repairs around the clinic when he recovers. Avery is committed to the clinic and Wes has promised to take care of a friend's sister in New York so there appears to be no future for the two of them! I recommend Mulberry Hollow to others! I received an e-book through NetGalley. This is my honest opinion,
Denise Hunter continues her Riverbend series with youngest sister, Avery Robinson's story. As older brother, Cooper, and her best friend, Katie, plan their wedding, Avery begins to feel the weight of her decision to remain single.

At 9 years old, Avery watched helplessly as her mother died from the disease that had been attacking her body for years. She went to medical school so that she would never again feel that helpless in a situation that required a doctor. She also made the decision to never marry, never have children, because she knows that she has a 50% chance of being a carrier of the disease. Until Wes Garrett collapses - literally on her doorstep - she's really never been tempted to change her decision. Can she hold fast to her choices when all she wants are Wes' arms around her?

Wes Garrett is hiking the Appalachian Trail in honor of the friend who gave his life protecting Wes. Halfway to the goal, a virus fells him. Fortunately, he's able to make it to the clinic doorstep in Riverbend, where Dr. Robinson takes him in. Feeling strongly about being debt free, he offers to rehab a house on the clinic property. As he works for Avery and spends time with her, he begins to wonder if the plans he's made in his mind are the plans God has for him. He's falling hard for Dr. Avery but he's mentally committed to another, someone he's met only through letters and phone calls. How can he choose when he loves them both?

Avery is in a super tough spot - one she only makes worse by sticking her head in the sand. I love her dad and his way of offering advice but not forcing it on his kids - he places two pennies (his two cents) on the counter. If they pick it up, he gives them his "two cents". If they don't, he says nothing. He did this with Cooper in Riverbend Gap, and again with Avery in Mulberry Hollow. It was a sweet moment in both books, and there was so much wisdom in the advice he gave.

If you've read Denise Hunter's books before - and I think I've read them all - you'll definitely want to pick this sweet romance up. There's plenty of slow-burn romance, and a lovely HEA at the end. Readers of sweet romance can't go wrong with Denise Hunter. I absolutely recommend this!
Mulberry Hollow is the second book in the Riverbend series.  It is set in North Carolina in a little town off the Appalachian Trail.  Wes Garrett is hiking the Trail when he gets sick and gets to the little town to seek help.  Avery is a doctor with a small clinic and she helps Wes.  As he grows stronger, she lets him work off his medical debt by working as a contractor on her rental property.  They develop a strong connection but there are complications - Wes feels obligated to his best friend's sister, and Avery worries that she may carry the family gene for Huntington's Disease.

As the second book in the Riverbend series, this novel includes characters I remember and like from the first book.  However, I also think it could work as a standalone read.

I really like the characters in this series - especially the family of siblings that includes Avery, Cooper, and Gavin. Wes is very likable too, and I was really pulling for Avery and Wes and their slow building love story.

The small town setting is charming; Denise Hunter does a great job at setting the scene.  I love the Great Smoky Mountains and can just picture this little town.

I recommend this Mulberry Hollow - and the Riverbend series - for fans of small town romance.  I'm already looking forward to book #3!
This was my favorite of the trilogy. I enjoyed Avery and Wes, they had good chemistry and a fun story. Loved the small town setting and supporting cast. Ms Hunter always writes such likable characters with depth and personality. Enjoyable storytelling.
Oh goodness ,this book will haunt me for a while .

Firstly what is not to love about this cover *sigh*. Mulberry Hollow tells the story of Wes Garrett (the most swoonworthy handyman ) and Avery Robinson (doctor) who have the sweetest meet cute in history . I enjoyed how this story was of grief, healing ,new beginnings and love. It also touched on the burdens parents put on their children . I found myself relating to Wes who was terribly crippled with the fear of owing anyone and Avery who was terrified of being a burden to her loved ones. You cannot read this book and not be tugged. I recommend it.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are entirely my own
Avery Robinson the local doctor is suffering from burn out.  She needs to hire another doctor for her practice.  Wes Garrett is on the Appalachian Trail walking to finish his late best friends wishes.  West has promised to take care of his friend's sister now.
Wes is sick and walks to Avery's clinic and is too sick to continue the trail and ends up working off his medical bill working on Avery's cottage.  Avery needs the cottage if she can attract a new doctor to the area.
Avery and Wes form a close friendship and really enjoy each other's company.  Both are keeping secrets.
I enjoyed Avery and Wes story more than the previous story in book 1.