Cover Image: Love in Plain Sight

Love in Plain Sight

New love and healing in Birch Creek.

Katherine Miller is a kind-hearted young woman who came to Birch Creek for sanctuary away from her painful secrets; not looking for a husband she has slowly made friends in the community. I loved that she had many supportive people in her life that she could call her friends, as well as her budding relationship with Ezra. My heart instantly went out to Katherine, and she is the kind of heroine that you can cheer for all the way through.

The book also picks up some of the story threads from the previous books in the series, like with Rhoda and Loren as they wonder about the future of their relationship. Ezra is a kind and thoughtful young man, and I liked how he always was making sure that Katherine was comfortable and doing alright.

Overall this was a quick, emotional, heartwarming read with strong themes of trusting God, forgiveness, courage and second chances. I loved revisiting familiar faces and meeting new ones, as well as finally solving some mysteries that had been going on in the background for quite some time. An excellent addition to the series!

Kathleen Fuller continues to amaze me by the way she reminds us that people are people no matter what their lifestyle seems to describe them. She takes us into the lives of the Amish and shows us that there are things that they go through that others do too.

In this instance it is domestic abuse. There are a couple of different characters that go through this and the story shows it from different angles (in marriage and in dating). Ms. Fuller doesn't sugar coat this nor does she make the story so heavy with it either.

I enjoyed another trip to Birch Creek and look forward to seeing where Katharine and Ezra's story leads as well as that of Loren and Rhoda. Lovely story and wonderful series!
I finished reading Love in Plain Sight earlier this month and am thrilled about how the series ended. You see, though, this is the third book in the series, but it is also the third series involving the Birch Creek community. Which is why I was excited to read this book!! It closes the chapter on a few stories, and Kathleen Fuller did exceptionally well.
I began reading this book while at work and thought I’d only read the prologue. I was wrong. I read through chapter eleven and could not wait to get home to finish the story. Sometimes, it takes me a couple of weeks to get through a book, and other times (when my schedule is free) a matter of days. I carried this book everywhere I went in hopes of diving in at each free moment.
This story follows Katharine Miller and her reasons for seeking refuge in Birch Creek. Hiding under the guise of the ‘Mail-Order Bride,’ Katharine secretly moves to Birch Creek to begin a life free from the stressors of home. Can Katharine start a new when she is focused on hiding her past from everyone, including her own parents?
Katharine begins working at the Stoll’s Inn as a housekeeper, and she also weaves baskets for some side income. While working at the Stoll’s Inn, she strikes up a friendship with Ezra Bontrager (brother to twins Zeb & Zeke from A Double Dose of Love). Unlike his brothers, Ezra doesn’t like to farm, which is why he took the job as a handyman at the Stoll’s Inn.
With Katharine and Ezra working in the same vicinity, they cross paths more and more. Katharine slowly lowers her defenses, and Ezra no longer wishes to remain single (before, he had zero interest in settling down). Can the two face the past as it comes barging in?
I enjoy books about the Amish and this one is no exception. The characters were very real, from Katharine's weight problem to sinister Simeon. I was even a little scared when Simeon showed up in Birch Creek. Ezra was very kind even to Charity who was annoying. I will definitely recommend this book to the patrons at my library.
So tender and sweet. At times it is raw and exposed. Sometimes romance books gloss over hard issues, but Kathleen Fuller doesn't do that here. She gets down the to bones of the issues. Even in communities where they are known for their kindness and gentle demeanor, there can be wolves in sheep's clothing.

The growth and acceptance is heartwarming. Obviously, there was a ways to go and grow to overcome past troubles, but this was done flawlessly! Excellent!
I thoroughly enjoyed Love in Plain Sight. Author Kathleen Fuller gave us true to life characters who you will either love or…..not. Katharine struggles through domestic abuse by fleeing and lying. Then runs into the incorrigible and lovable Amish matchmakers. Ezra is searching for what he wants to do in life, and that doesn’t include getting married. Sparks fly!

I appreciated revisiting with characters from the first two books of the series, as well as some loose ends being tied up. If you’re looking for real characters who struggle and overcome, and lots of laughter along the way, then I can highly recommend Love in Plain Sight.

I received a complimentary copy of this book but was not required to leave a review.
Continuing on with my theme of Amish romance to help navigate through these last moments of the pandemic, this was a really quick and cute read. It's a cute book, a little more edgy than most amish romances, and generally a well written book that is fun to read.
The third in the Amish mail order bride series, the disappearing Bishop Emmanuel will reappear with a surprising twist. Abusive behavior is the foremost theme of this story which differs from a lot of Amish fiction. Readers will want to read the first two books in the series to become familiar with the many characters in this one. Looking forward to the next in the series to see whether the person behind the ads will find a match.
Katherine Miller arrives in Birch Creek with no intentions of looking for a husband. While many a women comes her to find one, Katherine is hiding.  Hoping one day to return to her family, all she wants is to be invisible.  Ezra Bontrager can't seem to shake the idea that Katherine needs a friend and possibly more.  Why does she seem to thwart him at every turn? When the truth is finally revealed, Ezra can't help but feel that they are made for one another. Now he must convince Katherine before he loses her.  With a little push from a match maker, Ezra and Katherine might just find a future.  While part of a series, this book can be a stand alone. I look forward to reading the first two in the series soon.  I received a copy through Netgalley.  A review was not required.
This was a very difficult read for me, even though I love Amish books.  The prologue begins with the background history of Katharine Miller, who is being physically, emotionally, and mentally abused by her fiance, Simeon.  As I had gone through the same thing in my life, it brought up some really bad and ugly scenes from my past.  I do not recommend reading this part, especially if you had been through a similar past.  Once I got to chapter one, it is a year later in Birch Creek, as she has moved away from that situation.  Ezra Bontrager is interested in her, but she is very quiet and hasn’t been ready to trust another man.  So my questions are: is Ezra able to open Katharine to love once again?  Will she be able to trust another man?  You will need to read this to find those answers and more.

Disclaimer:  I was provided with a copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest review.

Love in Plain Sight became available for sale on May 3, 2022.
Love in Plain Sight is one of those books that just sucks you into the story. I thought about the characters constantly when real life demands interfered with reading. Ms. Fuller is a master at creating memorable characters and emotion. I was right there with Katharine, feeling what she felt.
This is an Amish Romance with a little suspense put in, and This is the third book in the Amish Mail-Order Bride series. I have read and reviewed the other two books in this series before reading this book, but I do feel you can read this book as a standalone book without any problems. I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters in this book. There is some hard to read things in this book because the main character in this book is running away from an abusive fiance. I think this book did a great job showing how someone abusive can hide it, and how far they will go. I loved the storyline in this book. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Zondervan) or author (Kathleen Fuller) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
This is a sweet Amish romance that also deals with the hard issue of abuse.  When Katharine flees to Birch Creek, she's determined to keep to herself.  She tries to be invisible but Ezra sees through her defenses to her vulnerabilities.  The hard issues of abuse, abandonment, neglect are dealt with gently and wisely.  The pain is not glossed over.  This book shows there can be forgiveness and hope despite a troubling past.

I liked that Ezra was not focused on external things but saw Katharine's inner beauty.  I thought the end reveal was surprising and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series to see what comes of all that.   I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Amish fiction.  Thank you to Zondervan for providing me with a free e-copy of this book.  All opinions are my own.
Love in Plain Sight by Kathleen Fuller is touching story.  I thought Love in Plain Sight was well-written with developed, realistic characters.  I am glad that the author gave us a character like Katharine Miller.  She is overweight (at least in her mind) and suffers from terrible acne.  The situation with her fiancé has made her acne worse.  When her best friend learns what is happening, she encourages Katharine to escape.  Katharine arrives in Birch Creek where she tries to remain invisible.  The inn’s handyman, Ezra Bontrager has taken notice of the shy, quiet newcomer with the beautiful smile.  The local matchmakers have decided that Ezra and Katharine are perfect for each other and decide to do a little nudging.  I like that the author touched on difficult subjects.  I thought she handled them very well.  I was delighted that Katharine was a basket maker.  It is a wonderful art form (combining beauty and function), and I am glad the author had our main character make these pretty baskets.  I am glad that we get to catch up with the characters from the previous two books.  The storyline involving the disgraced bishop is concluded.  The matchmakers, Cevilla and Delilah provide humor.  They are quite a pair.  I like how they rationalized their meddling.  I hope they never stop their matchmaking (even though Cevilla’s husband wants her to leave it in God’s hands).  I like the faith messages in this story.  The most important is that God does not promise we won’t have continual trials, only that he will be right beside us as we go through them to give us hope, comfort, and mercy.     Love in Plain Sight is an emotional story that deals with trust, forgiveness, faith, matchmaking, family, friends, and romance.  I loved the epilogue.   One of my favorite phrases from Love in Plain Sight is “I’m pointing out that we all have stuff about ourselves we don’t like.  Sometimes we can change those things, sometimes we can’t.  It’s what’s on the inside that counts, though.”  Love in Plain Sight is the third An Amish Mail Order Bride Novel.  While you could read Love in Plain Sight as a standalone, I believe it is best to read this series in order.  It will allow you to get to know the characters and their storylines.  Certain characters carry through all three books (like Delilah, Rhoda, Cevilla, Loren, Robert, Rhoda’s sons).  Love in Plain Sight is a poignant tale with an officious fiancé, meddlesome matchmakers, beautiful baskets, an indomitable investigator, a helpful friend, a surprising visitor, and a lasting love.
Loved It!

Love in Plain Sight takes us once again to Birch Creek, an Amish community with the dilemma of too many bachelors and not enough wife candidates. It's also where someone has taken the issue into their own hands by sending out an advertisement in search of young women looking for husbands.  The advertisement has been working just fine so far. However, when Katharine Miller arrives in Birch Creek, although others think she's on a husband search, that is actually the furthest thing from her mind.  All she wants is peace and quiet and to be left alone which just might be a bit of a challenge if Ezra Bontrager has anything to say about it.

Ezra is just like Katharine in his thoughts about marriage.  Unfortunately that idea is a bit of a challenge with the single women, one in particular, that are greatly interested in having him take the marriage plunge.  However, Ezra also just wants to be left alone. That is all good and well until he realizes that Katharine is one single woman that has absolutely no interest in him. Although that should make him happy, it actually piques his interest to where he finds himself wanting to spend more time with her.

I was captivated from the very start of the story and absolutely loved it! Katherine Fuller has done a fantastic job of weaving some very sensitive topics into the story. She did so in a way that made me vividly see things through the characters' eyes and feel what the characters were feeling. My heart went out to Katharine, and I loved how she grew and was able to move forward with God's help and the love of those around her. As for Ezra, it was such a joy to watch him and his determination of trying to get to know Katherine better and figure her out.  I loved watching their relationship evolve from strangers, to friends, and how it developed into such a special bond between them. Seeing how some well-meaning matchmakers threw in a helping hand to make it happen had me smiling more than once.

Katharine and Ezra's story is a very beautiful one. It is a combination of romance, humor, faith, forgiveness, trust, God's will, and overcoming the past. All of these characteristics made this a truly inspirational story that I highly recommend.

****I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This Amish romantic suspense story kept me up turning pages at night. The romance that developed between Katharine and Ezra was so sweet and a delight to read. The book also dealt with the tough issue of emotional and physical abuse and the lingering effects it can have on its victims (which may be a trigger for some people). This story made me feel and it educated me about the signs of abuse. It also taught me something about the beauty and freedom found in forgiveness. Highly recommend! I received an advanced copy from the publisher via NetGalley and this voluntary review contains my honest opinions.
This is a wonderful book that hooks you on the first page and doesn't let go. It deals with a sensitive subject that the author handled beautifully. This is not your typical Amish romance book; at times it will have you on the edge of your seat. Even though this is book three of An Amish Mail Order Bride series, it can be read as a stand-alone. This is a wonderful book that you don't want to miss.
I received a complimentary copy from Zondervan Fiction via NetGalley and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Do you know that satisfying feeling after a good meal?  That is how I felt after reading this book.  “Love in Plain Sight” is the third book in the Amish Mail Order Bride series by Kathleen Fuller.  You can read this as a stand alone book, but the other books are so good, you will want to read them too!
There are two storylines taking place, and both will keep you reading.  Katherine Miller comes to Birch Creek escaping an abusive fiance.  Katherine was written as a “real” character, struggling with her physical features.  I know many women can relate to her insecurities.  Some of the scenes are difficult to read, but it is important to know that within the Amish community, there are also people who behave poorly.
Katherine works at the Stoll Inn with Ezra Bontrager.  They slowly build a friendship but Katherine is afraid to let anyone know about her past. This sweet romance also includes resident matchmakers, Delilah Stoll and Cevilla Schlabach.  I always enjoy their “meddling”.  The other storyline involves The Bishop of Birch Creek.  I don’t want to give anything away, but if you have been reading the Birch Creek novels then I think you will be content with the ending.
I want to thank Kathleen Fuller, Zondervan, and Netgalley for a complimentary copy of the book. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
2 – 2.5 stars
Love in Plain Sight
by Kathleen Fuller
TW: Domestic Violence
This was truly the most unique Amish based book I have ever read, and that was not necessarily a good thing. I typically read Amish for the sweet and light of their lives and the ease of reading one of these tyes of books.This one is quite different from the norm of Amish fiction.
Katharine's fiancée Simeon abuses her physically and emotionally while integrating himself into her parents lives. A friend realizes what is happening and helps her to flee to another community to be safe. Katharine has to lie to her family and everyone in Birch Creek in order to stay safe.
I liked Ezra. I liked Katharine, but she was emotionally wore out and her character was difficult to read. I have a hard time reading books dealing with domestic violence, as do many people.
Even the secondary story was a difficult one to read.
The writing is good. The end is left a little open, so I do wonder if there is another book in this series where this situation will continue to play out.
I don't think I will read more of this author. I also do not recommend this book to anyone who struggles reading about these types of issues.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for letting me read this book. I read a lot of Amish fiction.  I have never read any books by this author before. I thought the storyline was great and she did a great job writing it. The downside is the formatting which is horrible. There are many problems and at times it makes reading the book and understanding who is speaking difficult. I hope that the formatting will be fixed by the publisher or it could ruin the success of the book. The story was interesting and didn't drag like some of the Amish books do. From the author's perspective, I would give it a 5. From the formatting perspective, I would give it a negative 5.
This is too good a book to be ruined by the formatting. I will read more of her books!.