Cover Image: A Man of Iron

A Man of Iron

All that I really knew about Grover Cleveland was that he served two non-consecutive terms and was a Democrat.  This excellent biography changed that.  Books about Grover Cleveland are not easy for a lay reader to find, I don't know why.

This book covered Cleveland's youth and adulthood, as well as his presidency.  It is well written and well researched, which made it a pleasure to read.  I learned a lot about the politics of the period, and how Cleveland reacted to them.

I am so glad I read this book.  There is a whole run of presidents after Grant who tend to be skipped over until McKinley, and yet those were important years in the development of the nation.  "A Man of Iron" brings an interesting president out of obscurity, illuminating a formative period in the nation's history.
A Man of Iron offers a fresh examination of the only president to serve non- consecutive terms, Grover Cleaveland. I found the biography to be well researched and well written. Senik focuses mostly on the political side of Cleaveland’s life, interspersing it sparingly with coverage of his personal life.
For someone who may never have known much about the 22nd and 24th president, this book offered a great introduction.
I can appreciate Cleavekand much more because he had integrity, a characteristic that is sorely lacking in the presidency.
I do believe this is the most researched, interesting book that I have read on Grover Cleveland.  This book will take you through Cleveland's early life, the controversial events, the two non-consecutive Presidential terms, and his death.  I have always found Cleveland fascinating and enjoyed reading about him. I have many books about Grover, but it is nice to have a book that covers everything.  The best part about a book like this is that the book follows so nicely that it reads like a fiction book instead of an encyclopedia.
This is an excellent biography of the life of Grover Cleveland, the only President to serve two nonconsecutive terms. The book is well written and researched making a faster read than some other presidential biographies I have read. It addresses Cleveland’s early childhood that helped develop him into the individual that later served as President. He was a constitutionalist and held firm to his beliefs making him an unusual politician in that he did not bend to current events or popular trends. His rise to the Presidency was unanticipated by both himself and many others, but the yellow journalism of the time and the opposition created untruths that caused him many challenges. I strongly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in Presidential biographies.

I received a free Kindle copy of this book courtesy of Net Galley and the publisher with the understanding that I would post a review on Net Galley, Goodreads, Amazon, Facebook and my nonfiction book review blog.
“A Man of Iron” by Troy Senik is, as the Publisher’s summary states, a very overdue book about Grover Cleveland. For a man to have been a twice-elected President of the United States (numbers 22 and 24) is an amazing feat. This is a very detailed book, nicely not crossing the line of being “too detailed” with too many footnotes and author comments. This book took me a while to read, but I have a new appreciation for Mr. Cleveland, whose two terms came with their own separate problems. At the end of his second term, Cleveland was regarded as an unpopular president, but this book helps support why, with the passage of time, Cleveland is now regarded as an successful leader for the time.
A well written, interesting page turner about Grover Cleveland.  A breath of fresh air to read a biography about a with new information and out an American president.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the early read.
Grover Cleveland must be one of those presidents that are so easy to lose in  history. Fortunately, this book brings back all the color that was the man.