Cover Image: Please Join Us

Please Join Us

I have gotten about 1/4 the way through and am struggling to keep reading. I plan on coming back and trying to finish it in a few weeks- I may just be in a book slump. The concept seems interesting I just can’t get into it.
A super exclusive women’s group - what would you do for them to welcome you in and treat you as their own? Any job you want, any place you want to live - regardless if you are qualified for it or can afford it - it is yours. This women’s group is strong and everywhere. But. With what will they want in exchange? A attorney working a high profile case is a lucky person whose life is changed. But she is about to find out just how much this new life will cost her. This book was a page turning thriller and I highly recommend. A little predictable but totally worth the read. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Excellent thriller with a very unique plot. Nicole is a lawyer that receives an invitation to join an all female networking group. This invite comes at the perfect time because Nicole's billable hours have decreased. If you enjoy thrillers,especially domestic thrillers, but are tired of reading the same plot over and over, then this book is for you!
This is an amazing read I enjoyed it so much!! Besides having thrill and excitement the women empowerment and wit that was written into the story made it phenomenal!! Women are always up against men trying to make it past the good ol' boys club and the group PL in this book definitely gave it the women empowerment edge I loved! The whole secret society vibe really brought the mystery, but my favorite was Nicole and how she seemed to start out weak but her character developed all the way to the end and used grit, wit, and her own inner empowerment to do what needed to be done. I don't know how to describe too much without giving it away but this book was edge of your seat exciting for me and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!! There were multiple characters but it wasn't hard to follow all of them and see their roles they each played and it all flowed together. This is the first book I have read by Catherine McKenzie and I have become a fan instantly! I'm ready to start ordering some of her other books to see how they turn out, she is a writer that has captivated my attention! Thank you NetGalley and Atria Books for the copy to review!
A networking group to aspire women to build confidence in male-dominated work forces turns out to be an ugly farce in Please Join Us by Catherine McKenzie. Thirty-nine year old Nicole is on the verge of being ousted from a law firm because it appears she is underperforming. Her husband, Dan, is hinting that it is time for Nicole to step back and consider raising a family. Nicole decides to use her remaining training budget to escape New York City and spend a week near Aspen to take regroup with Panthera Leo, a girl's club in a boy's world. What follows is Nicole's fall into a pit of deception. The novel brings up the interesting point of emotion in the workplace: men can show anger, but women cannot shed tears. Also, the novel is set in 2021, and pandemic isolation is considered a thing of the past. Interesting to see how writers will include the pandemic in contemporary settings, because it remains a current factor in American life.
I'm a diehard Catherine McKenzie fan, and this might be my favorite of her books to date (although SPIN has a special place in my heart). A compulsive page-turner, the tension mounts from the day Nicole joins the super secret women's organization her husband believes to be a cult, and yet I couldn't figure out what was going to happen … until it did. And even then, the twists kept coming.

A deeply unsettling (in the best way) story about successful women with their own agenda, a flawed heroine with a brilliant legal mind, and a husband I loved!
I absolutely loved “I’ll never tell” by Catherine McKenzie so when I got the ARC for “please join us” I was so excited I couldn’t wait to jump in.

Right from the start this book is serving cult vibes, which from someone who has a slight obsession with the researching and reading about cults, I was eager to see where this would go.

This book had such a captivating concept, it was psychological, manipulative and so much more.

What starts off as a seemingly innocent “girls club” to conquer a world dominated by men who just take and take, was so much more then just that.

From page one I found this book compellingly addictive. Every time I thought I’d figured out what was going on (right along with the MC, if I’m being honest) I was blind sided and completely wrong, not once but twice. Which was surprisingly satisfying!! I have no doubt this book is going to be an instant hit come it’s release.
The premise of this book was great. While it had some lagging moments for me - the core of it rings true - what lengths would you go to in this world to get ahead? Money and power are sultry beasts, and I thought the book did a great job exploring how far people would go when tested - and tempted.
This book was a fast paced read - I rushed through it - staying up late into the night to finish it.  It was just that good.  I will be reading more books by Catherine McKenzie.
A twisting turning novel by Catherine McKenzie.another of her phenomenal books.keeps you guessing with every turn of the page! People can be so conniving and ruthless whether it means money or status.
Nicole Mueller’s life is definitely taken an unexpected turn for the worse. Her law career is falling apart and she has to give up her apartment that she adores. She receives an invite to a group event held by Pathera Leo. Panthera Leo is described as a women’s networking group that consists of successful professionals from a variety of different fields. Nicole is anxious to attend and is hopeful that it will help save her ailing career as a lawyer. Her husband, Dan, is cautious and is concerned that the group is some sort of cult. Nicole decides to take a chance and heads to Colorado for the retreat. Everything goes perfect and even after Nicole returns home, her newly found network helps to re-launch her career. She isn’t quite sure what she has to do in return for all the favors until one night she receives a late night phone call. The resulting request is something she could not have imagined!

A whole new take on the cult theme. I have enjoyed a few cult themed books lately, but his one was totally different for me. The author is a former lawyer and it really shows in the writing. It got better and better as I read and by the end I was completely enthralled! All the stars for PLEASE JOIN US!

Many thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This review will be posted to my Instagram Blog (@coffee.break.book.reviews) in the near future.
Please Join Us by Catherine McKenzie was a tension-filled, suspenseful novel I couldn't put down. It was almost like watching a chess game, as a high-powered attorney uses her keen mind and quick wits to disentail herself from a secret society-esque women's networking group. When I finally got o the last page I was blown away by McKenzie's skill and building such a compelling, twisty thriller. Highly recommend!!
I was a big fan of Catherine McKenzie's You Can't Catch Me and was super excited to get approved for this.  Please Join Us was a great thriller - I could not put it down! The last few chapters were a little wild, but overall I enjoyed it and would highly recommend it! I enjoyed the twists and turns, had a few WTF moments, and thought the "secret org" was done well.

Thank you to Atria Books, the author, and NetGalley for providing a copy to review!
3.5 stars - Catherine McKenzie is quickly becoming a must-buy author for me. All of her books (that I've read so far) are so well thought-out and I never guess the endings!

When I was reading this one, I really felt like I was trapped in a web of lies and revenge. Holy, it was complex! (Maybe too complex? I'm going to need time to process everything I think.)

I liked so many aspects of the book.. but it's hard to say much without giving anything away ;)
Women are handpicked after a career failure to join a fringe women's group lead by two women.  The group forms a type of lion pride and then are encouraged to commit illegal acts.  The women go to a ranch outside of Aspen for initiation to form their pride.  I found myself skimming a lot of the novel and was glad to reach the end.
Publication date: May 24, 2022

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own.

At thirty-nine, Nicole Mueller’s life is on the rocks. Her once brilliant law career is falling apart. She and her husband, Dan, are soon to be forced out of the apartment they love. After a warning from her firm’s senior partners, she receives an invitation from an exclusive women’s networking group, Panthera Leo. Membership is anonymous, but every member is a successful professional. It sounds like the perfect solution to help Nicole revive her career. So, despite Dan’s concerns that the group might be a cult, Nicole signs up for their retreat in Colorado.

Once there, she meets the other women who will make up her Pride. A CEO, an actress, a finance whiz, a congresswoman: Nicole can’t believe her luck. The founders of Panthera Leo are equally as impressive. They explain the group’s core philosophy: they’re a girl’s club in a boy’s club world.

Nicole is all in. And when she gets home, she soon sees dividends. Her new network quickly provides her with clients that help her relaunch her career, and a great new apartment too. The favours she has to provide in return seem benign. But then she’s called to the congresswoman’s apartment late at night where she’s pressed into helping her cover up a crime. And suddenly, Dan’s concerns that something more sinister is at play seem all too relevant. Can Nicole extricate herself from the group before it’s too late? Or will joining Panthera Leo be the biggest mistake of her life?

The incredibly talented Catherine McKenzie whose book You Can't Catch Me that I have read 6 times (I get more out of it every reading, same with Six Weeks to Live has done it again.

This is a lively, fast-paced thriller that once you think you understand is going on, peels another layer off the oven for a new twist to the tale...or perhaps another onion added to the Gibson "martini". It is beyond enthralling and full of memorable characters that are lovingly created and a plot that will suck you in ... I read it in one fell swoop!.

It comes out right after the 24-weekend (Victoria Day - she would be 203) in Canada so you cannot read it on that first official holiday of summer, so this is your first beach read that I recommend. Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it  - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 5th or 6th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for.  🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️ #maddogsandenglishmen

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant/never-ending/constant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸
Nicole has just been dealt a major blow at work when a mysterious email pops up in her inbox. She is invited to a women's "retreat" of sorts. It's a networking opportunity for women who want the next leg up in their career. Her husband is instantly suspicious and accuses the whole thing of sounding very cult-ish. Nicole decides to go anyway and is pleased to make some new friends in some very high up places. The next thing she knows her career is doing better, she has a swanky new apartment, and a close knit circle of friends that she can count on. Little by little she also starts to become suspicious of the group and exactly what its purpose is. As she investigates more she starts to suspect that there was an ulterior motive to her joining the group and she's determined to get to the bottom of it.

The first half of this book grabbed me right away. I enjoyed meeting all the characters and seeing how they connected with each other. Toward the last half the legal jargon got a little too much for me and lost me a little. I still enjoyed the book and it was a quick read that held my interest.
Nicole, an attorney at a top law firm, gets a warning at work that she needs to increase her billable hours. Shortly thereafter, she receives an email inviting her to attend a woman’s networking workshop from a mysterious group, which she accepts. Please Join Us is a spellbinding story of empowerment and revenge, and I literally couldn’t put this book down until I finished. Early chapters lay the groundwork for this intricate and unique plot, told in then/now format until the timelines merge. The reader is totally engaged with Nicole and her new friends as her involvement in the group spirals out of control. Lots of tension, surprises and great characters all add up to a timely, totally captivating 5 star read!  I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I've enjoyed all of Catherine McKenzie's books, and this one is no exception. It grabbed me from the very beginning and kept me reading to find out what was going to happen and how it would all end. There were plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing up until the very end.

Thanks to Catherine McKenzie and NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
Feeling stuck as this never-ending year continues to do the actual least? Please Join Us is something for you to look forward to in 2022!

Early sunsets and dark nights mark prime thriller season for me! I couldn’t help but empathize with Nicole: she’s followed the “rules” from school to work and the top of her field seems to be just out of her grasp. After yet another setback, enter: Panthera Leo. This new “Pride” of powerful women bonds during an outdoorsy retreat, leading to quick wins upon returning to NY when Nicole’s new network starts coming through with the work and life wins she needs, but at what cost? It’s exceptionally hard to not go full spoiler-y here but, let’s just say that I LOVE a good villain and this book delivers some of the best.

McKenzie’s use of bullet points and accessible legal terminology gave me a glimpse into how Nicole’s brain was working through each challenge and twist coming her way – and was a novel way to break up and recap expositionary writing blocks. I also am so happy that this was one of the few thrillers I’ve read recently where the MC didn’t become the second coming of Rambo in the final act. Brains not brawn here! Add this to your TBR & pre-order if you’re looking for the perfect marriage of legal and domestic thrillers and if you like your heroines tenacious.

Thank you to Catherine McKenzie, Atria Books, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a digital ARC.