Cover Image: Please Join Us

Please Join Us

A satisfying read. The characters were nicely drawn out and the pacing was very good. If I had the time I would have read it straight through. I enjoy stories where it keeps you guessing as to how things will end and this book did not disappoint. The story was leading to a particular outcome and I was sure there was a surprise ending but I couldn't figure out where things would eventually land up. My first Catherine Mckenzie read. I think I'll try another of her books soon. 4 stars
CONTENT WARNING: blood, murder, grief, mention of death of a parent, mention of cancer, death, mention of off-page sexual assault

I’ve definitely been on a bad-ass women book kick lately. And when this book came to my attention, how could I resist it? It sounded so intriguing, especially since I grew up always hearing, “If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.” This book provides a bit more evidence to back up the truth behind that saying.

Nicole is struggling in various ways—she’s having a tough time at work, and she and her husband are in danger of losing their apartment. So when she’s invited to join a highly exclusive networking group for women only, she sees it as an opportunity to advance her future in a way that she doesn’t seem to be able to do on her own. But when she joins, she realizes that there’s a cost that she didn’t expect.

While I can respect what Nicole’s trying to do, I struggled with her personality at times. She isn’t exactly likable in the story, since she focuses a lot on upper-class problems. She’s a lawyer who can’t afford to live in a luxury apartment and doesn’t want to “downgrade” to live in a house in New Jersey … oh, THE HORROR!

While there isn’t an overwhelming focus on weight, she does mention her appearance and weight quite a few times throughout the story, and it frankly made me uncomfortable at times. I do understand that women who work in certain professional are judged on their appearance, but considering how she isn’t exactly focused on her hair/nails/makeup/etc, I couldn’t quite get her focus on weight throughout the story. It veered dangerously close to fatphobia for me.

However, the crux of the story was the way that women created a girls club to counteract the way that corporations have a boys club that works to advance the careers of men whether they deserve it or not. And these women banded together to help each other out. Although, it didn’t quite work out as I had hoped, ideally. Not all of the women were altruistic, and some of them could be quite vicious and manipulative, and it was intriguing to figure out the mystery behind what was going on.

The story was told in both present day and flashbacks to the recent past, so that we could see what was happening at the end of the story arc, as well as how the previous events unfolded to create the present situation. It allowed readers to put all the clues in place and see the devolution of this idealistic society that was created. Although at least one plot twist was visible in advance, the rest caught me by surprise, and I was on the edge of my seat during this fast-paced, intriguing story.
Nicole was sprinting the ladder to the top of her career as a lawyer and partner at her firm, when she received a bad review from the firm and suddenly seemed to be on the way out.

As Nicole reeled from the change in direction, she received an invitation to an exclusive, private, women’s-only group, Panthera Leo. When she met her Pride (group), she felt she had found her group of people - CEOs, a successful actress and well-known politician.

What Nicole doesn’t know, is that the Pride will do and say anything for each other, and Nicole will be asked to do the same - even murder.

Buckle up - lots of twists and turns!

Thank you to @netgalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

#netgalley #netgallyreviewer #netgalleyreader #netgalleyarc #fiction #booklover #bookreviews #whatimreading #whatiread #bookish #bookstagram #bookworm #booknerd #bookaddict #bibliophile #bookgram #bookstagrammer #instabooks #bookreviewer #takealookitsinabook
#pleasejoinus #catherinemckenzie
This started off with a bang! I was hooked then it kind of slowed down during part 1 and could not hold my attention it was a bit boring until Part 2.,.

Let me take a few steps back to explain plot …..Nicole is a high end lawyer that gets a bad performance review after busting her butt for years at her firm, that is man driven and an ole boys club kinda deal. She receives an email that asks her to visit a corporate retreat to help build her skills . Puurrfect timing right? Hmmm. She boards a plane to Colorado for a retreat with other influential women that she forms a bond with then goes home but keeps in touch…..gotta be a catch right?

Part 1…so slow it took me over a week to get engaged

Part 2…. Ok engaged!

This basically is women forming a bond to take down a corporate man’s world. I was not enjoying the first half but second had potential and how all the players were aligned captivated me but the cult aspect deterred me.I did like how it all was connected but seemed contrived,

Quick read for sure but I think it’s only for the right audience. The ending seemed convenient and tied up too smoothly.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for my advanced copy
Nicole Mullers law career is falling apart.  She and her husband Dan are being forced out of their much loved apartment.

It seems that help comes just in the nick of time when she is coming close to losing her job as well she gets an email invitation from an exclusive networking group for women called Panthero Leo
The group helps Nicole with her client billing issues by sending her a huge case as well as setting her up in a beautiful apartment.  However as we all very well know everything comes with a price right?
This story is about the price.
A very intercrite and interwoven surprising story that keeps you guessing to the end.
A very good story I recommend

Thanks to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you to Simon & Schuster, Atria Books, and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review!

Nicole Muller’s life is on the brink of collapse when she receives an invitation to Panthera Leo, an exclusive women’s networking group. Convinced this will save her career from ruins, Nicole signs up to attend a retreat in Colorado. Afterward, Nicole begins to see success, but finds herself involved in covering up a crime for another member, and she begins to wonder if her husband’s concerns about the group are valid.

I previously read and reviewed Six Weeks to Live by the same author, which I enjoyed, but I liked this book even more. Once the plot got rolling, I really wanted to find out what would happen next. I thought the story was very unique and clever. Some of the things that happened seemed a little far-fetched, but made for a great tale. I enjoyed the twist at the end. It’s a good read!
Catherine McKenzie is definitely on auto-buy status now because Please Join Us is another hit! I love how the thriller was constantly in motion for this novel and there were a lot of moving parts. The unraveling of the mystery was twists on top of twists on top of twists.... Another exceptional novel.
McKenzie, indeed, had a "Lucky 13!", with this her 13th novel.  It's an intriguing tale that raises the bar from psychological thriller to dystopian satire.  The story is of a women's networking group that is able to function as well, if not better, than an old boys' network; the narrator provides us eyes on people and events, and doubts about connection or motive, as she becomes enmeshed deeply into the organization.  A lawyer by trade, through her, we follow the puzzle "like a chessboard" that fuels the engine of the novel's plot.

The characters are all interesting and distinct - I found the secondary characters, like Thomas and Katherine, to be more fully drawn than is often found in books of this genre.

I found the issues raised in this novel and the consistent tension are more indicative of general fiction category.  I'm not always a fan of McKenzie's writing, so I was delighted to find this a treat to read.

Thanks to Atria Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I love a good secret society story, and this soapy look at one powerful group of women absolutely fits the bill.  Exploring feminism, friendships, and fealty, this novel is a fast-paced thriller that will keep you up past your bedtime!
I thought this would be more like the cults we hear about, not a corporate cult but nonetheless a cult is a cult and I loved how all the puzzle pieces fit into place. I loved going along with Nicole and questioning everything along with her. What I didn’t like was that some of the little details were dragged along and it took awhile to understand exactly what happened but I give it to Karma, she’s a patient woman.
Loved this book.  Nicole Mueller's life is starting to spiral down. Her once promising law career is slowly deteriorating. Her relarionship with her husband is not all that great either. Everything changes when she gets an email to join an exxlusive women's group. She decides to join  and things started getting better until it doesn't. This book is a definate must read. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Thank you Netgalley for this advanced readers copy. Please Join Us by Catherine McKenzie.
Some of the creepiest thrillers I've read involve cult-like storylines and let me tell you- this is one of them! I don't know what it is about them, but I constantly have goosebumps when reading, like I'm so uncomfortable!

First off, the storyline was very interesting. The twists and turns were scattered throughout, and honestly, I think that's what kept me hooked. If the author saved the twist for the end, I think I would've been bored.

The characters were... infuriating? Mostly. I loved the MC, I think she was super relatable- I truly don't think I would've made very different decisions than her! I was rooting for her the entire time. As for the rest of the ladies.. well, I guess you'll just have to read this and form your opinions!

Thank you NetGalley and Atria Books for the eARC!
Nicole Mueller, a lawyer, is struggling to keep her life together. Her law career is crumbling and she and her husband Dan are being forced to move from their apartment. When she receives a lucrative email about an exclusive women's marketing group. The group, Panthera Leo, is made up of powerful, executive women. When she gets to the retreat, she meets a group of women called her Pride with which she bonds quickly. After the retreat, her life begins to come together. She is offered a new case and a beautiful apartment for mundane favors she must fulfill. But then the tasks get scarier. She is asked to help cover a murder. What happens when Nicole wants to leave the group?

I rated this 3.5 stars. It was quite the page-turner, as I finished it in 2 days. I didn't love any of the characters, however, I did love the feminist girl-boss attitude of the women leaders. The book hit on a great topic of how women have to work 10x harder to succeed than a male does in the corporate world (or any world really). The downfall of the book for me was the legal jargon. I found myself often confused or skimming quickly through it because it was hard for me to follow. Despite this, I did enjoy reading the book and would recommend it for everyone to give it a shot, especially if you enjoy law fiction.

Thank you Netgalley and Atria books for a free copy of an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I was initially intrigued by the idea of a women's network that may or may not be a cult, but it was really Nicole’s story that hooked me. It fed into all the insecurities women have about our lives and not being where you think you’re supposed to be. The first part of the book did feel a little reminiscent of Nine Perfect Strangers, and I didn’t love Nicole as a main character. I wanted her to be the smart lawyer we kept hearing about and question things more. But I understand that would have made for a boring read and seeing her get in way over her head was much more entertaining. My biggest complaint was how anticlimactic the ending felt ending. It had so much promise and a nice build up before fizzling out. I do think this would make a fantastic television series.
This starts out slow and really takes its time in getting going. It reads more like a mystery than an intense thriller. However, I still enjoyed it!

I can’t say that I believed Nicole’s actions. She was also annoying and whiny at times.

The ending made for a great pay off though!
Thanks to Atria Books, I was provided an ARC of Please Join Us by  Catherine McKenzie via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

****Publishing August 23, 2022****

Do you need a page turner that is hard to put down?

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️  Nicole Mueller’s job is not going as planned as a lawyer. She was just notified that she was being demoted in the firm. When Nicole recieves an email inviting her to join a networking group called Panthera Leo, she jumps at the chance and joins. It’s a networking group who help women advance in a male dominated workforce. Her husband, Dan, is not so sure as he thinks it might be a cult. Is it too good to be true? Does this lead her to higher level positions or does it lead her astray?

This fast paced book will have you on the edge of your seat as the secrets are unraveled. Are people who they seem to  be? This book will keep you guessing until the end with all the twist and turns!  A great book to take on a vacation or bring to your next book club meeting!
Attorney Nicole has recently gotten a low review from her superior. She's frustrated since she's been hard at work. She receives an invitation to join a women's empowering group, and she accepts and seems to have great new women friends supporting her to achieve as a woman in a man's world. But all is not as it appears and she begins to understand that she has ultimate responsibility to the group, whether she wants it or not.

This story is quite complex, and intriguing, but in the last third of the book, it seems to really move back and forth, and up and down, and gets a little confusing. I needed to reread parts of it to remain clear on what had transpired. Ultimately, the end is a little bit of a surprise. This is a book that needs to be read intently in order to follow the plot.

Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read and review Please Join Us.
I was excited to read this ebook as I've read several other books by Catherine McKenzie and have always enjoyed them.  She does a fantastic job of writing our characters into difficult situations that can make me feel there is no way out, yet in the end the MC prevails.
This book was a twisty and stomach churning story about a professional woman who is just trying to survive a career and a marriage, all while being a woman.  Nicole is invited to join an all woman organization with the enticement that she will further her career..  Very quickly she is drawn into the allure but has a nagging distrust in her gut.  As she is drawn in deeper and deeper Nicole begins to wonder if she made the right decision.  For fans of twisty crime mysteries , this book reminded me of a John Grisham book but in a woman's world.

Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for an advance copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review.
I did not love the main character Nicole as I thought she was very naive.  The plot was very good and kept me interested.
Many thanks to Atria and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
It took me a while to figure out where in the timeline the main character was. Overall, a good read though you could kind of see the ending coming.