Cover Image: A Hundred Crickets Singing

A Hundred Crickets Singing

An incredible dual-time story by Cathy Gohlke. Basically set in a rural town community during WWII and Civil War eras. Characters that are realistic with strengths and flaws portrayed. The discovery of a hidden room and a false-bottomed trunk begins a healing journey—two young women from different generations who, despite the difficult restraints of people and circumstances work to right the wrongs they see in their respective societies. I thoroughly enjoyed the faith journeys of some of the characters as they recognized the Lord's timing in their lives and the acknowledgment of His presence and help. Readers who enjoy historical fiction will not want to miss A Hundred Crickets Singing. I listened to a library copy of the audiobook and Marguerite Gavin did a great job narrating Celia and Minnie's stories. I was not required to write a review and the opinions are my own.
Return to No Creek, North Carolina, with Celia Percy as she comes of age in the segregated rural community, and unearths secrets held for generations that could pave a new way for the future.

Set in the same world as Night Bird Calling, this book can be read as a companion or as a standalone. The book follows Celia and Joe in the present day, while also telling the story of Minnie Belvidere a courageous young woman during the Civil War who fought for her family and the freedom of others.

A powerful read, with hard hitting themes, heartwarming, heartbreaking, gritty, and full of faith this book does a good job of showing the moral dilemmas in light of the human condition in the 1860s and 1940s. I loved how this book shows familiar faces like Celia and Marshall, Ruby, Miss Lill and her husband. I especially enjoyed learning more about the Belvideres and seeing their history all come together in the past and present through the strong women of faith who took up the causes of others.

Celia is a spirited young woman, passionate, with a big heart for others. She is young but growing into a wonderful woman inside and out, I liked her honesty and how she sticks up for her friends. I also really liked getting to know Joe, seeing his friendship with Marshall and how Marshall helps him to look deeper into things he had been avoiding. I admired Minnie so much, her strong faith even in the hopeless times.

Overall, this was a poignant read, tackling tough subjects with faith, and unforgettable characters. Highly recommend!

Cathy Gohlke pens another home run of a time-slip story that grabs your heart, and attention from the start. Readers instantly care for her wide range of characters, as they walk in their shoes, giving a deep understanding of their circumstances. The author’s love of research shines throughout this novel, both in the 1860s and 1940s.

I like how this author shows the heart break of racial injustice and how hard it was for some families to set their slaves free, even when it was their heart’s desire like to do so. Cathy Gohlke brilliantly takes readers on a memorable, heart-felt journey that is filled with tension and family drama. It’s one you don’t want to miss and won’t soon forget.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I requested and received a copy of this book by the publisher/NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network blog https://psalm516.blogspot.com/
A Hundred Crickets Singing caught my eye and the storyline summary was intriguing.
Once I read it, I was impressed how she wove the present story in with the past.
She did a fabulous job capturing life in Civil War days.
It was very interesting and captivating!
A great read! At first, I really struggled to keep up with the two different timelines, but I was able to get into the plot a little more than halfway into the book. I loved the plight of the main characters, especially that of Celia, Joe, and Marshall. I would definitely recommend this book to those who like clean Christian fiction with a good plot and brilliantly written characters!
This book started out so good, and I was so excited to read it! I definitely judge books by their covers, and this one is gorgeous! There's a mystery right from the start, and it grabbed my attention immediately.

I loved the different stories from the same house. All that history there fascinated me. I'd love to live in an old house like that, where there are generations of stories. The longer the book went on, though, the harder it was to keep the side stories and the different characters straight. And the longer it went on, the less it held my attention *because* of all those side stories and characters.

The ending was completely unbelievable to me, and I found the epilogue to be too long.

I think the book would have been excellent if some of the chapters and characters would have been cut out. It just went too long in my opinion, and ended up too neatly and predictably.

*I was given this book for my honest review. Opinions are my own.*
After A Night Bird Calling comes  Hundred Crickets Singing. It is a  historical fiction that is told using two timelines. Two young women, during two different time periods, living on the same Appalachian estate are determined to aid soldiers that are dear to them, at whatever the cost
 . Cathy Gohlke is a talented author that tells this story beautifully. This one will be added to my list of favorites.
  Thanks to Tyndale Publishing and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
A great book for historical fiction fans!!
 5 Stars!!
This is a beautifully written dual-timeline historical fiction novel written by Cathy Gohlke.   I would recommend it for readers who enjoy stories that take place during the Civil War. I enjoyed it, but there were SO many characters to keep track of. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced reader’s copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 3.5 stars
Thanks #NetGalley @TyndaleHouse for a complimentary copy of #AHundredCricketsSinging upon my request. All opinions are my own.

In split timelines (1861 and 1944) and through two wars (Civil War and WW11) we hear the stories of two young women who lived on the same plantation and same house in No Creek, North Carolina (Appalachia) as they face the hardships of war and encounter unrelenting racism and prejudice. It’s through Celia’s discovery of a hidden journal in 1944 that we hear Minnie’s story from the Civil War days and cheer for Celia as she attempts to right a wrong.

I love both main characters, the connection between the two storylines, and the exploration of racism/prejudice between the two time periods. However, what I love the most is that each timeline is equally compelling and tension filled. So often in a dual timeline story, one timeline is more interesting and engaging than the other, or one is more dominant. But in A Hundred Crickets Singing, I loved each timeline and cast of characters and I didn’t mind the time hop in alternating chapters. This is a rare occurance for me and is what ultimately leads me to a five star rating. The entirely of the story from beginning to end through two time periods and two sets of characters is compelling. Each storyline is so well developed that it could easily be two separate books. To combine them is great story telling from my perspective!

Admittedly, there are a lot of characters to track! I had to be mindful of the chapter title at first which clearly denotes the time period. You might want to keep notes of characters at the beginning until you are fully acclimated in the story. I think if you have previously read Night Bird Calling, you will have more familarity with the characters (although this can be read as a stand alone). I admire both young women from each storyline for their endurance and determination and sense of justice. Both are realistically portrayed. First, Minnie (1861) as she assists her family and community in the operation of their part of the Underground Railroad. I also admire her faithful and descriptive journal entries and careful records which Celia will discover eighty years later in a secret, hidden, and sealed room. I also admire Celia (1944) and her determination to unravel a mystery from the past and make things right for one family. I appreciate her community efforts and vision for a better future. Both women are admirable in their ability to manuever through a minefield of political opinions and prejudices.

The author creates a strong sense of place in each time period through her vivid descriptions of rural, small town (small minded) North Carolina and the colorful cast of characters she places there.

I appreciate the thoughtful themes presented including friendship, family loyalty, righting a wrong, leadership in the community, the ongoing fight against racism and prejudice, holding onto faith, hardships of war, confronting injustice, and taking risks. Personally, I do appreciate when faith is presented as an authentic part of a character’s life and not in a preachy way.

“The persistent, conflicting voices of all those I love, spoken and not, are deafening–a hundred crickets shouting, screeching in my brain. The mounting tension is intolerable. Help us Lord!”

When I noticed that Cathy Gohlke was the author, having loved The Medallion, I knew I wanted to read A Hundred Crickets Singing. Although it’s a follow up to Night Bird Calling (which I haven’t yet read and am now eager to read), it can absolutely be read as a stand alone. I’m enthusiastically recommending Hundred Crickets for fans of well-written and well-researched histfic, for readers who love stories of inspirational women, and for those who appreciate important and heartfelt themes. Book clubs will definitely enjoy this for its rich discussion possibilities.
Loved the book. Tough subject but well done. I enjoyed reading it but it isn't scheduled to be reviewed on the blog. We will however be adding it to the church library.
Characters from Night Bird Calling return for a new adventure set between two wars!

Old houses always hold secrets and Gardens Gate is no exception.  After a storm damages the roof, a hidden room is discovered by Celia Percy and her younger brother.  With civil war era clothing and documents, they discover that this room was once used to hide slaves making their way along the Underground Railroad to find freedom in the North, which is completely unexpected knowing that the ancestors were slave owners and Klan members.  As Celia uncovers more about the civil war, her friends Marshal and Joe are across the Atlantic preparing for the Normandy invasion in 1944.  When Marshal makes a choice that shocks not only his family, but the whole community, Celia knows it is up to her to make it so that he can return home.

Eighty years earlier, Minnie Belvidere is stuck between her two brothers, one that is for the Union, but must enlist in the Confederacy and the other who fully believes the Confederate values.  Her mother was always a proponent of freedom for all men and women, which made them an unpopular family in North Carolina.  After her mother’s death, her father’s health begins to deteriorate, she knows she must step in to continue her mother’s legacy.

I was not expecting a time slip novel from Cathy Gohlke, but I’m pleased to say that I hope she decides to write more.  She has been such a master of historical fiction that it seemed only fitting that she took this challenge to bring readers not just one, but two fantastic stories set years apart, but both at war.

I loved seeing previous characters return for a chance to see how their stories are continuing as well as meeting new characters from a previous era.  In both timelines, the protagonist is a young female who is set on making wrongs right based on the social norms.  With love, suspense, and great characters, readers will love this book just as much as the first.  While I would say that you don’t have to read Night Bird Calling before this one, I do think it will give quite a bit of backstory that readers would otherwise miss.

I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher.  The views and opinions expressed within are my own.
In wars eighty years apart, two young women living on the same Appalachian estate determine to aid soldiers dear to them and fight for justice, no matter the cost.
1944. When a violent storm rips through the Belvidere attic in No Creek, North Carolina, exposing a hidden room and trunk long forgotten, secrets dating back to the Civil War are revealed. Celia Percy, whose family lives and works in the home, suspects the truth could transform the future for her friend Marshall, now fighting overseas, whose ancestors were once enslaved by the Belvidere family. When Marshall’s Army friend, Joe, returns to No Creek with shocking news for Marshall’s family, Celia determines to right a long-standing wrong, whether or not the town is ready for it.

1861. After her mother’s death, Minnie Belvidere works desperately to keep her household running and her family together as North Carolina secedes. Her beloved older brother clings to his Union loyalties, despite grave danger, while her hotheaded younger brother entangles himself and the family’s finances within the Confederacy. As the country and her own home are torn in two, Minnie risks her life and her future in a desperate fight to gain liberty and land for those her parents intended to free, before it’s too late.
Another beautifully written dual-time story by Cathy Gohlke that brings readers back to the small town of No Creek, North Carolina. Gohlke’s A Hundred Crickets Singing is a profoundly insightful and inspiring story with timelines between the Civil War and WWII.

Gohlke does what she does best—hold our society’s collective faces to the mirror of history.

Rather than words on dusty tomes, Gohlke brings life to the realities of slavery and the so-called emancipation of slaves causing us to take a deeper look at prejudices in the 21st century where too often tolerance is mistaken for equality.

She does this with compelling stories of people we come to love and applaud for their bravery and tenacity. Chronicling the story of two families—the Belvidere and Tate families—for eighty years.

The Pre-Civil War period, the Belvidere family owns much land—and slaves, such as the Tate family

But this story’s protagonist, is the beloved character from Night Bird Calling, Celia Percy. Older now, she is no less determined to uncover new mysteries. Celia is the mirror. With a persistent voice of innocence and wisdom and candor, she pulls this story together.

The story begins when a thunderstorm tumbles an enormous tree through the attic of the Belvidere home. Celia and her brother find a hidden room that was sealed for eighty years.

Piled high with trunks, Celia finds a secret compartment filled with paperwork. Paperwork that could—and should—change the lives of her friends, the Tates. She also discovers Minnie Belvidere's diary that chronicles the truth and injustices of the Civil War era and the dual legacies of her family.

Which brings us to the Civil War timeline. Minnie is the voice of the battle between two Belvidere legacies—justice and injustice.

History is about people, and this author knows how to develop characters that guide us through the treacherous times of both time periods with a discerning eye toward today’s headlines.

A Hundred Crickets Singing will no doubt become a classic along with her first novel, William Henry is a Fine Name, and frankly should be essential reading for those of us who need a vivid perspective of race relations.

Although this is a pseudo-sequel to Night Bird Calling, it can be a standalone. However, it does contain many of the same characters as the first story and is a bit easier to follow if read in order.

I highly recommend A Hundred Crickets Singing for its beautiful, inspiring writing, page-turning journeys through time, and powerful and relevant messages.

I received an advance eBook copy from Tyndale through #NetGalley for my honest review.
This powerful sequel to Night Bird Calling brings readers back to No Creek, North Carolina, in a split time story that spans two wars. The cover is gorgeous, and the story inside is even more beautiful! The ramifications of the Civil War are still impacting the characters we know and love during the WWII timeline. The racism that still exists in the 1940s is made more evident by the war, as young black men are sent to fight on behalf of an oppressed people, only to return home to the scorn and injustice that has persisted through the last 80 years.

In this book, we see Celia Percy grow into a courageous young woman, willing to stand up for justice. The discovery she makes one stormy night may have implications for the town that no one could have imagined. Celia draws strength and inspiration from the story and diary of Minnie, the young woman who lived at Belvidere Hall decades earlier. The tragedies and triumphs of these characters will steal your heart from beginning to end, and this poignant story is one that will stick with you long after the last page. If you enjoy gripping stories that bring history to life, don't miss A Hundred Crickets Singing!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I really enjoyed this one! Very suspenseful; kept me turning the pages!
I would have given it 5 stars, but the amount of different characters was a bit difficult to keep up with. And you can’t flip back in a Kindle book like you can in a print copy!
It was a nice surprise after finishing to learn that “Nightbird Calling” is the prequel to this one, so I jumped right into it!

*I received a digital copy from Netgalley in return for an honest review. All opinions are strictly my own.*
A Hundred Crickets Singing by Cathy Gohlke is a sequel to Night Birds Calling. It does contains the same characters as the first story and is easier to follow if read in order. It is a dual timeline story that gives background information of the Belvidere family and how different members of that family treated their slaves in the late 1800’s and how that followed the released slaves families in the future. It was interesting to read how the European country treated our black soldiers better during WWII than our own country did.

The story is a powerful, well researched story that deals with racial injustice. It was enlightening to read of the rules and consequences the blacks had to live under, whom they could marry, rules of claiming their own children, where they could get medical care, etc. This was a hard story to read as it was so realistic and truthful. I admire the strength Marshall had to get his education, the faith he had to get his daughter back, and his care for all people regardless of race.

I voluntarily received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale House through NetGalley, this is my honest review.
While A Hundred Crickets Singing is a standalone novel, it does feature some characters that were first introduced in the author's previous book Night Bird Calling. Honestly, it wasn't until I sat down and read a few other reviews that I realized this followed that one. It definitely holds up just fine without any prior knowledge of the characters...

And boy what characters they were! Each and every character drew me and kept me wanting more. Jumping back and forth between two wars- the Civil War and WWII, this story was both heartbreaking and beautiful, and gave a glimpse at a side of history that I don't feel like we hear a whole lot about in history books--- the life and hardships of black Americans after the end of slavery and before the civil rights movement. To be honest, while I love books set in WWII times, I typically am not as big a fan of those set during the Civil War, and yet both sides of this story managed to intrigue me equally.

Overall, I found this to be a fantastic read and one that is sure to stick with me for a long time to come.

**I received a complimentary copy for consideration. All thoughts are my own.
A wonderful time slip novel covering the same Appalachian estate and two women who will fight for justice to aid the soldiers they love. It's 1944, and the second world war. When a storm blows a hole in the attic, Celia Percy discovers a trunk with paperwork that may change the life of her friend, Marshall, a black soldier who is fighting overseas. In 1861, the US is divided just like Minnie Belvedere's brothers one Union, one Confederate. Meanwhile Minnie fights to keep their home intact and grant land her parents' had promised to one of their slaves.

Well written and filled with intense relationships between black and white that might be destroyed if promises made are not kept. I loved the relationships between the various characters, and the plot line kept me involved from start to finish. Another well written Cathy Gohlke novel.

**I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions are mine alone. I was not compensated for this review.
Thank you too NetGalley and Tyndale House for allowing me to read this ARC of A Hundred Crickets Singing. My thoughts are my own.

A Hundred Crickets Singing is a richly developed novel that moves between the Civil War and WWII. It deals with slavery, emancipation of slaves and the continued racism and prejudice of African Americans into the 20th century.

I was very excited when I read about the Goforth family in the Author's Preface as I am likewise from a Goforth Family; Clifton and Evie Goforth were my great grandparents. I cling to that throughout the novel, finding it an unusual connection.

While this novel is complex and wonderfully written, I was not captivated by it. I didn't fall in love with the characters. I actually got lost on the number of secondary and tertiary characters.

I think anyone who loves Civil War fiction will enjoy this book, as will those interested in Civil Rights.

For sure, this book feels character and plot driven. I wish more emphasis was put on setting.
I am a big fan of split time fiction. Typically I enjoy both storylines, but have a distinct favorite. This was not the case with A Hundred Crickets Singing. I was equally enthralled with both the Civil War era and the World War II era stories. Both stories inspire a desire to see justice done, and great angst when justice is denied. The themes of seeing all humans as being created in God's image thus having great worth and loving our neighbor as ourselves are well-developed without coming across as preachy.

This novel is extremely well-written, having believable dialogue, creating vivid mental and emotional images, and appealing to a wide variety of reader personalities. I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of A Hundred Crickets Singing from Tyndale House Publishers via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.