Cover Image: Dark Horse

Dark Horse

I somehow received both the ebook and the audio for this title. I read the ebook and listened to parts of the audiobook.
Good story, I like the character of Evan Smoak, however, this one seemed even darker and more violent.
Can't say. I keep running out of time on your app to listen to the book. I didn't get a chance to hear it so I can't really comment except to say how much I don't like this Netgalley app.
Dark Horse is book number 7 in Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X series and what another great installment!!

This audiobook was great. The narration kept me fully engaged and had me binge listening to see what was going to happen next!

Can’t wait for the next installment!!

A big thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ALC in exchange for my honest review!
Love this book. Kept me looking for more. Would highly recommend. Looking forward to more from this author!!!!
I really enjoyed this book. The narrator was easy to listen to and I think helped to make this a very enjoyable book to listen too. There are so many twists and turns in it that it kept my attention and on the edge of my seat  This was my first book by Gregg Hurwitz but it won’t be the last. I highly recommended this book if you are interested in fast paced thriller crime stories You won’t be disappointed!!
This story is definitely gripping and reads like a movie. Great detail and perfect pacing. The narrator's voice is great, very deep and expressive, great storytelling style. I found some "hispanic" references distracting like a "quinceañera" for an eighteen year old and a very English name, Aragon, for a hispanic character (who is of course, a drug kingpin). There are more details like thing, but for readers that are not Hispanic, I'm guessing they won't notice. The parts written from an American perspective of course read more naturally and overall it was an entertaining book. I would read more from Orphan X series.
Thank you to Netgalley and Macmillan audio for the early listen.   Narrator did a great job telling the story and giving each character their own voice. Will recommend.
This was my first Gregg Hurwitz book/audiobook, but it certainly will not be my last! I could not get enough of the creative way the author takes us readers on the ride of our life, navigating all of the twists and turns the plot reveals. I am a commuter, and this book kept me wide awake and attentive on my drive. Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for a copy of this audiobook for an honest review.
I really loved this book!! It had so many twists and turns. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next!! This was my first book by this Author, and it won’t be the last!! Quick read!! Highly recommended!! You won’t be disappointed!!
Dark Horse
Orphan X #7
Gregg Hurwitz

#7 in the Orphan X series is freaking fantastic and fans will get another dose of this OCD plagued, automaton-esque, flawed yet perfect hero. In this installation X finds himself way over his head in the emotion department when 16- year-old Joey, X program dropout, tech extraordinaire and his charge wants something he doesn’t think he can give her. Plus Mia and Peter a woman and her young son who have somehow inched their way under his skin and into his heart are facing something Evan doesn’t know if he can cope with. What he needs is to get into his X Zone the uber-focused zen-like alter-ego he uses to fight the fight of The Nowhere Man and when dealing with this ruthless Mexican Cartel leader he’ll get his wish and much more. Fans get ready for non-stop breathless, edge-of-your-seat action and a continuing kinder gentler X mixed in with a fabulous storyline and characters both good and evil who will make a lasting impression long after The End. Series best read in order.

Narration:
The brilliant Scott Brick continues to wow as he narrates this series, he is the perfect Evan but every role he plays is impeccable giving listeners an added dimension and an unfair advantage over readers.

As a government assassin known as Orphan X, Evan Smoak carried out many assignments without argument until one day he knew the little humanity he had left would leak out of his being if he didn’t get out. So now to try and make amends he became The Nowhere Man, someone who helps those who have nowhere else left to turn. But then Aragon Urrea, a man with blood on his hands calls 1-800-2-NOWHERE and asks Evan for help to rescue his daughter who was kidnapped by a rival drug lord. Evan knows more than most that having blood on your hands doesn’t make you all bad so he decides to take the job and go way undercover because just maybe if he brings this innocent home the blood on both his and Aragon’s hands will lessen.
Evan Smoak!  I've been a fan of this series since I read the first one, Orphan X, a few years ago, and have anxiously awaited every subsequent installment of the series.  This was no exception, especially after the explosive ending of the previous book.  And Dark Horse did not disappoint.  As usual the stakes are high.  Evan chooses to work with a cartel kingpin whose daughter has been kidnapped by a rival cartel.  Not his usual type of client, and one he chooses to help because of the teenaged daughter. In the process he gets to know the kingpin, and as he gets to know him he finds his feelings about him growing more and more ambivalent.  At the same time, his relationships back home are shifting and changing.  I like that we watch Evan evolve as he gets further from his life as a trained assassin and continues to help people who have nowhere else to turn. I also worry that as he loses the tight control he's always had over his life, he's in more and more physical and emotional danger.  But the Nowhere Man basics are still here - there's plenty of action, lots of weapons talk and computer talk and some unexpected deep philosophical discussions.   And I'm absolutely ready for the next installment!
I listened to the audiobook version, and as usual Scott Brick brings a remarkable sense of urgency when appropriate, handles the humor admirably, and does his usual exceptional job of narrating.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Macmillan Audio for providing a copy for an unbiased review.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* I have never read any books from this series before, would consider it if i found it for free at the library but it's didn't grab my attention in a way that i would seek it out. Likeable enough but i was able to put it down.
This book is the 7th book in the Orphan X series and the first book I have read by this author.  I really enjoyed this author's writing style and the book was very intriguing and kept my interest.  I will be going back to read the first six books in the series to see what I have been missing!
Evan Smoak had been trained and known as Orphan X for years. Also known as The Nowhere Man. And many other identities. Evan is all things to all people when it comes to saving and protecting as many lives as possible. However, Evan had enough. He left the program, but his desire to help others still remained paramount to him.

A very interesting man, a man with OCD, he will take on any challenge, even if these challenges put his very life at risk, and that is something Evan has experienced time and again, and will likely experience until he takes his very last breath.

Evan faces what just might be his biggest challenge yet - that of actually working with and for the kingpin of a major drug-dealing operation.The fact that Urrea mixes illegal and legal operations does not make him a good man and this goes against everything Evan stands for, but the kingpin, Aragon Urrea nees help and Evan is man for the job. Urrea's eighteen-year-old-daughter has been kidnapped and the location where she is being held can only be penetrated by someone with Evan's experience. In fact, Evan, The Nowhere Man once again, is the only man for the job.

Evan is not alone in this incredible task. In fact, some of the best characters from the previous books in this series - other Orphans - Mia, Joey, Peter and even Dog, the dog, are right in the thick of things. While I really love Evan, Joey, the teenage tech guru is trying hard to steal first place in my heart in this series. This continuity is important. Important enough that this is a series that should really be read in order.

Factor in that I was able to get this book also as an audiobook ARC while having the print ARC was stellar. The narration was just perfect, making Evan come alive and the adventure and danger utterly realistic.

Many thanks to Minotaur Books and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher/author for providing me with an ALC in exchange for my honest review.

This book was exactly what I wanted it to be! I loved it. I will make sure to check out other books by this author. When I requested this I was just intrigued by the concept of it and I loved how it turned out. This story had a great plot and if you have read this and enjoyed it, This was so much. It was such a great story. I would say give this one a try. I will continue to follow this author. Way to go to this author for not letting me down.

I highly enjoyed the narrator of the audiobook. Kept me listening.
Dark Horse by Gregg Hurwitz is the 7th book in the Orphan X series, and my first read by this author. I do not normally like coming into the middle of the series, but here we are. This series gets rave reviews so I was curious what it was about, and I just don't think this series is for me. It is suspenseful enough but I thought it was a bit too long for my liking and could have been a bit shorter and been just fine.

Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for the ALC to review.
Dark Horse is the seventh in a series called Orphan X.  Evan is the "Nowhere Man" that helps those that have no other choice.  The head of a cartel's daughter has been taken by a rival cartel.

This is my first read by Gregg Hurwitz, and though this is the seventh book in a series. I was not lost as to what was going on.  I look forward to go back and read the other books in the series and other reads by Hurwitz.

I enjoyed the fast pace and moments of comic relief.  I would compare this to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity.
I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This audiobook is well read and well written. The characters are described well. The narrator did a good job reading this book. I would recommend reading/ listening to the first book in this series. Overall this book is well written and well read. It will keep you on the edge of your seat from the first minute trying to figure out what will happen next. I would recommend listening to this audiobook to anyone and everyone. This audiobook is in stores for $26.99 (USD).
One family damaged, one family dangerous, and one family facing the unthinkable

“Dark Horse” is the continuing story of Evan Smoak, better known as Orphan X, but new readers will find that everything they need to know is included in the current narrative. This is the story of the good, the bad and the very bad. Typically Evan, in his role as “The Nowhere Man,” is rescuing the good while fighting the bad. This time “The Nowhere Man” receives a call for help from Aragón Urrea, a “bad” man, the head of a cartel, someone very much outside the law; he is not worthy of Evan’s help but his daughter, Anjelina, is. This young woman is in the hands of a rival cartel; she needs his help.

The pace is fast, and the action takes place over just a few days, but it seems like a lifetime to Evan. He lives by his “Second Commandment” so how he does anything is how he does everything. He is constantly evaluating, looking ahead, assuming the worst will happen, and planning his response. He moves carefully and purposefully through this mission, while at the same time, repairs the damage to his apartment, assesses his relationship with his young protégé Joey and her dog named dog, and maintains his dual identities and the resulting complex relationships with residents of Castle Heights.

“Dark Horse” is about complex family dynamics, one family is damaged, one family is dangerous, and one family is facing the unthinkable. Evan advances, changes, and matures in every book; he reaches out a little more each time for the experiences, the emotions, the “normal” things that he has missed. I received a review copy of “Dark Horse” from Gregg Hurwitz, St. Martin's Press, and Minotaur Books. This adventure, like every “Nowhere Man” adventure, is compelling, provocative, gripping, and entertaining.

I listened to   “Dark Horse” as an audio book narrated by Scott Brick. Brick has a multi-dimensional voice that at various times is melodic, reassuring, matter of fact, cautionary, unsettling and alarming. There is urgency in the narration, a tone of anticipation and yet dread of what is to come. The audio version provides a very different experience, perhaps an even more absorbing involvement than in the printed book. Both are exciting with non-stop action and reaction.
I love the intensity of the Orphan X series and this book does not disappoint. Its a little heavy on the philosophical ponderings but still excellent. I purchased this book in the Kindle version and loved it.  The narrator was excellent and so is this book! It is an excellent addition to the series and a very good thriller. If you love Orphan X this book will definitely keep you up late trying to finish.