Cover Image: An Honest Lie

An Honest Lie

This was one of those amazing edge of your seat thrillers. I binged this in three days simply because I couldn’t put the book down. Told in alternating voices between Rainys past and present it weaves together the perfect story. As a teenager she spent her life suffering mentally, physically, and emotionally at the hands of Taured; leader of the religious cult her Mother joined after her father passed away. Years later she is pulled back into the past she worked so hard to escape when someone from the Compound kidnaps her friend. Will Rainy be able to save herself and her friend? Will she finally make peace with what happened to her at the Compound? Read to find out!!
Wow! It’s hard to say what I loved most about this book, but if forced to choose I’d say it is the author’s amazing, evocative, unique voice. The way the main character thinks reveals so much about her. For instance, early in the book Rainy describes two other women, one as adorning the other like an unneeded tiara and then later talks about how she (Rainy) doesn’t desire costume-jewelry friends. Really remarkable and telling descriptions such as these are peppered throughout this gorgeous book. The story itself is deep, dark, and emotionally gripping. I could almost hear the characters breathing-they seemed so alive. The plot is a complicated puzzle I felt compelled to solve. Unflinching is a word that comes to mind. Memorable and original are others. What a pleasure to read!
I enjoyed the previous books I’ve read by this author but this one is just not for me. The current timeline was ok but the one from her past was just not something I enjoyed reading about. I abandoned the book at 50%. I will not post to Goodreads since I didn’t finish the book.
Do cults fascinate you? Rainy has moved to Seattle to live with her boyfriend Grant. Grant encourages Rainy to become friends with his girl friends so she knows people in her new home town. The friends invite Rainy on a girls trip in Vegas which she’s reluctant to go on because Grant and his friends don’t know about her past. Growing up Rainy belonged to a cult that was in Vegas so when she goes on the trip she keeps reliving memories. One night her friend doesn’t come home and she gets a text from someone pretending to be her.

This is a book you won’t be able to put down, because you really want to know how rainy makes it out alive. Fishers chapters on Rainy being in a cult brought me to tears multiple times, and the last line got me right in the feels.
What I love most about Tarryn Fisher is that her books are so unpredictable. I won't even read the descriptions of her books before I start reading - you just go in blind and it's wonderful each and every time. I was not disappointed AT ALL with An Honest Lie. Go read it! I already ordered copies for our library!
The story flips between the protagonist’s life growing up and the present as an adult. The more interesting half is her youth. The two stories eventually merge. The present day events run from dull to unbelievable. Sometimes I had trouble following what the main character was talking about/doing.
A long time fan of Tarryn, I would literally read her grocery list. The dual timelines from growing up in a cult and a girls weekend gone wrong were interesting storylines to weave together. Ultimately, it felt a bit too all over the place and didn’t quite connect for me like some of her prior books have. I still look forward to reading more from her in the future.
I can’t wait to read this again! I’ve been reading this author for years and this one is a favorite of her recent releases. OG fans will enjoy I think!
Tarryn has done it again with this brilliantly clever psychological thriller. She is the goat of this genre and her mind seems like a scary place to be! The ride she takes you has you questioning everything. The book starts out setting the tone very mean girlish (except for Viola). Tara was a real pos throughout the book. Braithe was as well once we find out what she was really up to. The real meat and potatoes of the book was Rainy's flashbacks. We gain a lot of insight that detailed her upbringing and time with Taured. Now that is when we go on the crazy train. Rainy orchestrated the perfect plan to get her revenge and make Taured pay. In the end, it wrapped up perfectly and you are left completely satisfied with how it all went down.

Arc provided by publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Fisher again weave a thriller that could only take place outlandishly between the pages of a book.

Cultish compound?  ✔
Stalker from the past?  ✔
Wild hairbrained plot?  ✔

Done with the deliberate care of clue-laying that is a hallmark for her, Tarryn leads us on a twisty thrill ride highlighting the importance of inner strength, believing in yourself, and leaving your childhood demons behind.

This easily could have been a 4.5-5, but the end, for me, was a but too neatly wrapped... too methodical to be believed from the 'on-the-run-from-herself' character Rainy portrayed. However, I enjoyed the foreshadowing and use of contrasts to show the depth of story... a very enjoyable read!
Tarryn Fisher once said that she writes her books for all women, and that if one book doesn't resonate with you, then another will. If that's the case, then An Honest Lie is the book written for the beige b*tch that only reads off of the bestseller list. In a sea of it's peers, it will stand out due to Fisher's signature writing style, but if you're looking for the emotional gut punch readers have expected from her writing, it won't be found here. An Honest Lie is a perfectly mainstream mystery-thriller, but if you're looking for a Mud Vein or Marrow caliber story, you won't find it here.
This is an intense (OMG!) novel that had me going in all directions!
I had no idea how it was going to end.
 BUT---each chapter alternates between the past and now, to help us to understand why the main character, Rainy, loves the quiet, has few friends, and really does not want to go to Vegas on a trip with a group of women she barely knows, or want to know. Who can you trust?
She reluctantly goes on this "vacation" and the journey and craziness of her past and present collide!  Unbelievable is the word!
I absolutely could not believe the ending after traveling with Rainy!

You will not be able to put this book down, so prepare yourself!
Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC
 My review is my honest opinion.
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Harlequin Trade Publishing  and #NetGalley for my honest opinion. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

I don’t want to put this one down. I didn’t want this one to end! Well done.
Tarryn Fisher always does a great job of writing strong female characters. This is not an exception to that rule. Rainy is a powerful force.

This book had racing to finish the book to see what would happen next? What secrets would unfold next?

The switch between past and present added depth to the story. It helped round out rainy and her path throughout this story.
This is my first book from author Tarryn fisher and this didn't disappoint! I was captivated by the start and really couldn't stop reading this. It follows Rainy (short for Lorraine) and goes from her past to the present. Her past explores why she is the way she is, she has trouble trusting people and making friends. She meets Grant who she moves across the country for and tries to be more involved within his friends. The girls take a trip to Vegas, a place she treads because of something that happen in her past that changed her life. After a wild night in Vegas her friend Braithe goes missing and realizes it's not Braithe they want, but Rainy. She must come to terms with her past in order to save her friend. Although it takes a while to build up it never disappoints. A book you won't want to put down. I was drawn to the chapters written of her past, it was just so interesting! So happy I picked this book and cannot wait until it's released so I can share it with others!
Tarryn has knocked it out of the park again! Her writing is so unique and I am always completely engaged from start to finish. This story was such a ride, I love the dual timelines and literally could not put it down! Thank you so much for my copy!
Rainy lives in Grant’s world having moved her life from New York to be with him in Washington. Her friends are Grant’s friends. Rainy doesn’t have close knit friendships. Grant wants Rainy to fit into his world. Having her attend the weekly girls night for drinks is part of fitting into his world. They’ve been together a year, yet they haven’t really spoke about the past. When the girls planned a girls trip to Vegas he insisted she attend. Grant doesn’t know that Rainy has reservations about going to Vegas. It’s too close to her past. While on her trip Braithe is taken and Rainy somehow knows it has to do with her past.

Tarryn journeys between the then and now carefully alternating chapters of a time before Grant and the present time with his friends and his life in Washington blending key moments. Slowly the reader gets a peak into Rainey’s past one moment at a time unlocking the memories that held her captive.

I’m giddy with excitement at the prospect of reading An Honest Lie. What a privilege and honor to get selected by Netgalley to read a new release by Tarryn Fisher. I’ve been waiting for this moment for a few years.

Tarryn’s writing style is fresh, original, and unique. While other writers fit into that cookie cutter formula writing style, Tarryn’s writing style sets her apart from the rest with her unique voice. She takes simple common words and turns them into masterful works of art. I’m captivated from the first word.

I can’t wait to explore the possibilities of which of these characters having something to hide and which one’s not to trust. I have no idea which angle she’s working with. I’m formulating my own thoughts but with Tarryn at the wheel who knows how this will play out.

It’s kind of challenging to put into words how I feel about this book when I’m not sure if the concept is considered a spoil. Without giving anything away I’ll say Tarryn put her own spin on a familiar type of trope. For me it’s not one of my favorite type of tropes to read, yet I love Tarryn’s writing voice. The setup of the story was intriguing especially switching between the ‘then’ and the ‘present’ offering the reader slow snippets of information constantly feeding the reader designated facts. What I find appealing about Tarryn is her ability to not be a formulaic writer. There’s a tad bit of darkness, danger, and violence which in my opinion is warranted given the nature of the storyline.
Overall, it was a good read one that will resonate with me because of the topic in the past.
The pacing is weird and none of the present day relationships feel...like much of anything, but once the plot gets started (which takes a minute, admittedly) it DOES NOT STOP.
I loved this one!!! I love Tarryn Fisher books so I knew I would enjoy this one. At first I didn’t know where this was going and I was anxious to keep reading but once it started to get really suspenseful I couldn’t stop reading. I highly recommend this for a thriller!
Love anything by my girl Tarryn! This was different then her other books but super enjoyable. I loved the Then chapters so much I found myself reading longer just to get to them!