Cover Image: Danger on the Atlantic

Danger on the Atlantic

I first met series protagonist Jane in the author’s first book, Murder at Mena House. This was such an enjoyable historical mystery. Following this, there have been two other published books, with the newest one coming out soon. It is such fun to travel the world with Jane and her associate with the funny name of Redvers Dibble. Also, these books have wonderful covers. They draw me in.

This time the two are on the Olympic, a vessel that has a connection to the Titanic. There is so much going on in this book; a ship with its passengers is able to carry many plots. There is a wealthy bride, Vanessa, whose marriage is not going well. There is a codebook to (hopefully) be found, a German spy and more. It is entertaining to read how the events play out.

Lovers of historical cozies, should give this title and series a look. Recommended.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Kensington Books for this title. All opinions are my own.
Jane and Redvers are crossing the Atlantic and this time Jane is officially helping with the case. I loved the cruise ship setting and the mystery will keep you guessing.
I’m a sucker for any historical fiction set on a ship, especially if it’s a historical mystery. So I was very excited to read this one.

For the most part the book delivers, boasting a solid, well-plotted mystery and a terrific sense of place. Neubauer really gives the reader a feel for what it would be like to be on the ship, which for a setting Junkie like me is almost more important than the story itself.

The story itself is, however, just fine, and proves to be a solid blend of spy thriller and whodunit. The characters are pretty typical to the genre and not terribly complex, but they’re likable enough and don’t get in the way of the setting or the story.

This one is less of a romp, or I suppose you might say less “fun” than a lot of historical mysteries, but it’s also still entertaining and not too heavy in its themes.

And it has a truly exceptional cover.
It’s 1926 and young American widow Jane Wunderly is aboard a transatlantic liner from Southampton to New York undercover as the wife of her investigative partner Mr. Redvers. They’re searching for a German spy suspected to be on board.

Jane is determined to prove her chops as an investigator and when another passenger, wealthy socialite Vanessa FitzSimmons announces her new husband Miles Van de Meter has disappeared, Jane jumps in to help, despite Redvers’ suspicions Vanessa may just be making up the drama.

Then their assistant onboard is murdered and the cases becomes more complicated as they near New York without identifying the spy or finding Miles. But there are forces waiting to put an end to their investigation if they slip up.

This is great read…it’s the Roaring Twenties aboard a glittering ocean liner filled with interesting characters, great dialogue and a little romance as Jane acknowledges her attraction to Redvers. The third in a series, I’ll be watching for the next Jane Wunderly mystery.
I have read both of the previous books in the series and must say that it is not completely required to have read those two to appreciate this one.
There are a few hints about the familial issues that were tackled/revealed in the previous installments, but this does not hold much influence over the events of this adventure.
The primary reason for this is the fact that this entire book occurs onboard a ship. The previous book set this up, with us being informed as to why our lead protagonist will spy for the crown and the safety of the country.
Jane Wunderly is the kind of central figure that is easy to encourage and appreciate. She wants more for herself than life has provided (happiness wise). Jane is considerate of the feelings of people around her and has an inherent need to help. One of the first people who catch her eye when she is waving goodbye to people onshore is a couple indulging in some very public display of affection, more than is appreciated in that time frame. A few hours into the journey, the only person who claims to know of the existence of the male half of the couple is the new wife! She is hysterical about events occurring around her, and only Jane can back up the story that she did not come aboard alone.
This is the kind of thing Jane's partner in crime (so to speak) tends to be heavy-handed in forbidding her indulgence in. The balance that they achieve by the end seems realistic and suits the narrative style in this series.
The spying sequence seemed a little too bland and routine by itself and could not have carried the book; the possible gaslighting of this unknown woman (or her own lying) adds extra flair to this closed room (since the ship serves as an extra-large room) type mystery.
I like the progress of the series and think there might be one or two more books left in the series to round it off. I look forward to the next.
This would work for readers who like their historical fiction set in the 1920s.
I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley and the publishers, but the review is entirely based on my own reading experience.
What another fun mystery with Jane Wunderly and Revers. They are my favorite sleuthing duo and I am so proud of Jane for standing up for herself and insisting on being treated equally and having her ideas valued. I love her POV and how she pieces things together. I think she had an idea of what was going on before she put it all together and am so glad she followed her gut. There were a few different mysterious things going on and I love how it was all revealed and how each piece fit into the story. The setting of this cruise ship was an interesting one and I can't wait to see what they get into next. Also the ending, EEP!
Erica Ruth Neubauer takes Jane Wunderly on a 1926 voyage to Danger on the Atlantic with her partner.  The pair are seeking to identify a German spy aboard the passenger ship.  Multiple red herrings distract from the hunt for the spy.  Bodies start to drop.  Intrigue among the passengers and the crew delay the search.  Great historic mystery.
I love any book set on a cruise ship so I jumped at the chance to read this one.  I am already a fan of this series and to find a story that follows Jane and Redvers on the Atlantic made me happy.  The story did not disappoint.  There were so many different things going on to keep your interest and the mystery kept me guessing until the very end.  The story is fast paced and gives so many wonderful details about what traveling on a ship was like in the 1920s.
The third in this series finds Jane Wunderley aboard a transatlantic cruise ship with the enigmatic Redvers.  Redvers is tasked with uncovering a German spy and his American contact.  Jane becomes involved with a socialite, Vanessa, who reports her husband missing.  This is a fun mystery series, and Jane’s personality will win you over. Recommended.  Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

I've never read a cozy quite like this before so I really enjoyed having a New perspective.
Erica Ruth Neubauer has a knack for writing gripping, well plotted, and fascinating historical mysteries. Everything works in her books: the historical background is well researched and vivid, the characters fleshed out, the mystery is solid and always keeps me guess.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Jane and Redvers get quite a bit more intimate on this new addition to the Jane Wunderley series.  It doesn’t take much persuading for Redvers to convince Jane that her help is essential in tracking down a German spy on a transatlantic crossing from England to the US on the Olympic.

This is a twist on the country house mystery with a diverse cast of characters that is contained to one place for the length of the voyage.  The author does a good job of bringing the period setting to life, and the plot twists come at a fast clip.

I look forward to more in this series, and seeing where Jane and Redvers relationship develops.

There's mysteries, spies, romance, and fun galore in this locked-room mystery set aboard a luxury oceanliner sailing from England to America in 1926. Jane and Redvers are there to catch a spy, but when a newlyweded husband disappears somewhere on the ship, Jane gets distracted from her mission as she tries to help find him. But she'll need to get back on track if she wants to complete her assigned tasks....and not get caught in any crossfire.
Definitely recommend.

Many thanks to Kensington Publishing and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor or expectation.
All aboard! It’s 1926. American widow Jane Wunderly and her companion, the charming and mysterious Mr. Redvers, are in Southampton, England. From the first class deck of an imposing transatlantic liner, they wave goodbye to Jane’s Aunt Millie and Millie’s “trim fiancé, Lord Hughes, and their daughter Lillian.” Jane and Redvers spent the last few months at Lord Hughes’s Wedgefield Manor where they solved a troublesome mystery. Now the attractive pair are posing as husband and wife, a disguise chosen so they can uncover the identity of a German spy onboard. A mystery on an ocean-liner is akin to a locked-room plot since once the ship embarks the perpetrators of any unpleasantness will be onboard.

Is it a hardship assignment? Not at first glance. Jane has been given all the props a woman might want.

An entire wardrobe of beautiful gowns and day dresses had been provided for me especially for this trip since I needed to look the part of a first-class passenger. Nothing I owned was quite so fine, and I briefly wondered who had picked up the bill for my trousseau. Shrugging, I pulled out a beaded black shawl and added it to my ensemble, along with an Egyptian scarab brooch. Even if we weren’t going above-deck, I suspected that I would need the extra layer in some areas of the ship, and the brooch was a lovely reminder of where Redvers and I first met (Murder at the Mena House).

Jane hopes to learn more about the man she admires during their ocean crossing but first, who are these possible German spies? Redvers describes them to Jane and their steward, Francis Dobbins (who is also Redvers’s inside man, able to move seamlessly move below deck).

“We suspect there is a German spy on board this ship. Our sources confirmed his presence, but not his identity. We’ve narrowed the field to three possible suspects,” Redvers said.

I was all attention. This was the first time I had been officially included on one of Redvers’ cases, and I wasn’t going to miss this opportunity to prove myself to his employers. Whoever they were. He’d never been terribly specific on that front.

They are Heinz Naumann, another first-class passenger: the efficient Dobbins “arranged for Mrs. Wunderly to have the deck chair next to his.” Redvers approves, telling Jane that it’s a great opportunity for her to chat up Naumann. Dobbins also has a lead on the other two possible spies: “They are both employed here on the ship. The band leader, Keith Brubacher, and the man who runs the photography office, Edwin Banks.” Jane takes careful note although there’s not much she misses. She does gets side-tracked before the ship even pulls out of port. As she waves goodbye to England, Jane spots an unusual couple. A strikingly attractive woman is “swimming in a luxurious coat of silver fox.”

She was clutching the arm of a bearded man who was nearly the same height as she was, and from the way they were clinging to each other and murmuring in one another’s ears, I guessed they were in the throes of a brand-new relationship. The man nattily dressed, although his trousers were just a shade too short and his shoes were overdue for a shine.

It’s never wise to ignore these innocuous descriptions of clothing—they often indicate a discrepancy between a hoped-for effect and reality. The woman is a dodgy, flamboyant American heiress, Vanessa FitzSimmons. She says her husband, Miles Van de Meter, who she just married in Monte Carlo, “has allegedly vanished into thin air along with his luggage.” Only Jane believes Vanessa, stoutly maintaining that she saw the man beside Vanessa—so where is he now?  Redvers thinks the erstwhile spouse might be a product of Vanessa’s champagne-fueled imagination but Jane can’t let go.

When it comes to investigating, Jane doesn’t care to be an observer so she decides to “borrow” Redvers’s lock-pick kit and break into the photo office. She doesn’t suffer from a lack of confidence.

I had never used the picks, but I had watched Redvers handle them on numerous occasions and I hoped I would be able to mimic what he had done.

I quickly learned that it wasn’t nearly as easy as the man made it look. Nearly twenty minutes passed while I tried to get the tumblers in the lock to click into place while also keeping an eye out for passengers who might wonder what on earth I was doing.

How “nerve-wracking” she thinks. Sadly, everything gets more complicated and sadder when Dobbins, their helpful steward and partner-in-investigation, is murdered.

The ship is a hotbed of activity, nefarious and otherwise. There are shipboard romances, a captain who is running a smuggling operation, a missing lady’s maid and a heated-up romance between Jane and the one man capable of making her forget her disastrous and painful first marriage. Lastly, that staple of country house mysteries, the obnoxious table-mate who annoys you with her very loud presence. Everything takes place in sumptuous surroundings, like the café where Jane stops for coffee.

The room was fitted out with summery wicker chairs and a profusion of lush green plants climbing strategically placed trellises. The gracefully arching windows lining the room had decorative bronze metalwork, designed to give the illusion of an actual café—if one could ignore the gray ocean stretching out beyond them.

You’ll be forgiven if the music from Titanic plays in your head while you explore a gorgeous ocean liner and watch Jane and Redvers solve an intriguing mystery. Where next for this peripatetic couple? No spoilers but when they reach dry land, Jane intends to introduce Redvers to her father. Stay tuned!
Erica Ruth Neubauer has written a marvellous third instalment in her Jane Wunderly Mystery series. American WW1 widow Jane is on a trip from Southampton to New York. She is pretending to be the wife of Mr Redvers so that the couple can keep an eye out for a rumoured German spy. When Miles Van de Meter vanishes, reported missing by his new wife Vanessa, Jane starts searching for answers.

Set towards the end of the Roaring Twenties, the protagonist Jane, a war widow, is full of fun, intelligent and very engaging. I enjoyed the mystery aspect which was a puzzle the soupcons of romance and the understated humour. I'm planning on reading the first book that I've missed, Murder at the Mena House and I'm very much looking forward to solving more mysteries with Jane as well as satisfying my curiosity as to where she'll wind up next. I have no hesitation in recommending Danger on the Atlantic and if you favour sophisticated historical cozy mysteries, you should definitely give this series a try.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Kensington Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Jane Wunderly finds herself on a transatlantic ship going from England to the United States.  It is 1926.  She and Mr Redvers need to pose as a married couple in order to discover who on board is a German spy.   While investigating the possible suspects, Jane and Redvers show us all over a luxury liner from the Captain's table to the second class cabins to the photography dark room.  As important as it is to find the spy, Jane finds herself distracted by a second mystery. A fellow passenger seems to have lost her husband or perhaps the husband was never there to begin with? I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I have already recommended this book to numerous friends.

This is the third book in the Jane Wunderly Series.  While it is perhaps not totally necessary to have read the previous books, I certainly feel that your enjoyment of the different plot lines will be enhanced.  Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the free Advanced Reader’s Copy in exchange for an honest review.    While I feel like the second book in this series suffered a bit from a sophomore slump, the third book definitely makes up for any deficiencies in the previous book.
I love this series so much.

This outing has all that is needed in a book; adventure, an Atlantic crossing, spies, socialites, smuggling, a twist even I didn't see coming [though I had some of the mystery guessed, this was enough to knock me out of the water] and of course murder. Jane and Redvers have their hands full in trying to find the German spy they've been sent to foil and finding all of the above dumped into their laps. While doing all they do, they continue to work through Jane's troubled past and make real progress there [I LOVE how Jane doesn't need Redvers but has come to realize she loves working WITH him and how good they are together] and their sweet romance blossoms even more, give the close quarters they are "forced" to share. All-in-all, it is really a delightful story that just leaves me wanting the next one ASAP. ;-)

Thank you to NetGalley, Erica Ruth Neubauer, and Kensington Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to @netgalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book!

I think I would've enjoyed this book more if I'd read the prior 2 books in the series 🤦‍♀️ I don't remember if I didn't realize it was a part of a series when I requested it, or if I noticed but assumed that it would stand alone well enough that I wouldn't need to have read the previous books. Well. I should've read the previous books 😂 this book does stand alone well enough that you can understand the story without having read the others, but it did refer to events in the prior books and I wished that I understood the context. So, if you're interested in reading this book, read the other two books before Danger on the Atlantic's release on 3/29 🗓️

Now that that's out of the way - here's what I liked:

✅ LOVED the chemistry between Jane & Redvers. It was definitely my favorite part of the book, and I would like to go read the other two books for that reason above all else. They are great, and I would like to continue reading any books that would be published after this to see what comes next for them

✅ I really liked that this book was a good blend of romance and mystery. The romance was fun without getting steamy and, as a reader who tries to avoid explicit scenes, I appreciated that. It was also a nice break from the seriousness of sleuthing

What I didn't love -

🚫 Jane's voice felt way too modern for a book set in 1926, to the extent that I actually got confused about the time period on more than one occasion. This was really distracting for me.

🚫 I predicted most of the twists - and I usually don't. If you're a big mystery fan, you might want to skip this.
Atlantic Ocean, 1926: Voyaging from Southampton to New York, Jane Wunderly is determined to prove herself a worthy investigator on the stately ship—even awkwardly going undercover as the fashionable wife of her magnetic partner Redvers Dibble. Few details are known about the rumoured German spy the duo have been tasked with identifying among fellow passengers, but new troubles unfold once wealthy newlywed Vanessa FitzSimmons announces the sudden disappearance of her husband Miles Van de Meter, the man Vanessa rushed to marry in Monte Carlo, who’s allegedly vanished into thin air along with his luggage. Facing two dangerous mysteries and a boat load of suspects, Jane and Redvers have their work cut out.
This is the third outing for the sleuthing pair, whilst it is easily read on its own I‘m loving the developing relationship between Jane & Redvers. A well written very entertaining book, with strong characters, a well paced story with plenty of twists & turns plus red herrings. There’s also plenty of humour & gorgeous clothes & of course not forgetting the cocktails! I look forward to more in the series
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
I received a copy of this title from the publisher, but all opinions are my own.  4 1/2 stars rounded up to 5.  Danger on the Atlantic is the third title to feature Jane Wunderly; it works as a stand-alone title, but the first two titles are great so why not read them first?  This book finds Jane and her suitor Redvers working undercover as a married couple on a trans-Atlantic voyage attempting to identify a German spy.  In addition to trying to find a spy, Jane embroils herself in helping a fellow passenger, Vanessa FitzSimmons, when her husband turns up missing and the crew questions if he even existed in the first place.  A series of strange events involving Vanessa call into question her sanity causing Jane to wonder if she's projecting her own past onto Vanessa and her plight.  The dual mysteries are both well done; both are given the right amount of attention without one overshadowing the other.

From a character standpoint, I appreciated learning more about Jane's past and how her first marriage continues to impact her reactions to events, including her relationship with Redvers.   I liked how supportive Redvers was toward Jane and her instance that Vanessa wasn't crazy and deserved their assistance.  Without Jane's aunt's presence, there was increased focus on Jane and Redver's relationship, and I appreciated the developments in said relationship.  This series continues to get better, and I can't wait to read future titles.