Cover Image: Danger on the Atlantic

Danger on the Atlantic

Set on the Atlantic on a ship in 1926, Danger on the Atlantic is delightful and fun, a lovely escapist book.  Though it is the third in the series, it is not critical to read the other two books in order to understand what is going on.  However, I do recommend that you do as they are worth your time as well.

American widow Jane Wunderly is a feisty young woman who has sleuthing experience...and relishes it.  She is joined on board a ship sailing from England to America by her partner in crime, discreet British Mr. Redvers.  They pose as a married couple which adds a layer of mystique to the case of the missing...case along with its owner, Miles Van de Meter.

My favourite aspect of this book is the vibrancy of the setting, era and characters.  For me the mysteries are icing on the cake.  However, I do wish there was more sleuthing, trickery and inveigling involved.

My sincere thank you to Kensington Books and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this wholesome and enjoyable mystery.  I already look forward to the fourth in the series!
Jane Wunderly and her investigative partner Redvers are hunting for a German spy secretly operating in 1926 aboard an ocean liner in this outing. They are disguised as a married couple and sharing a cabin which leads to some interesting situations, since they are still trying to overcome past relationship baggage.

Jane, who was unhappily married to an abusive husband and is now widowed, is not certain she ever wants to share her life with a man again. But she absolutely wants to be an equal partner and know that she is being heard. She and Redvers have to do some adjusting since they are both independent by nature and have to learn to work together cooperatively.

They have a short list of suspects and spend time checking backgrounds, searching rooms, chatting up suspicious characters and looking for their quarry. In the meantime, a woman asks Jane for help after her newlywed husband disappears and the ship's crew treats the woman like she's crazy. Jane knows how that feels and is determined to come to the woman's aid.

A fun and quick read with interesting characters. Thanks to the publisher and to Net Galley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
A fun historical mystery set on a luxury cruise ship crossing the Atlantic - from London to New York.

This is the 3rd book, and it's such a great who dunnit.  I was guessing right to the end, although I am happy to say that I did figure out the mystery.

If you have never read any of the books in the series, do not worry, you can read this book as a stand-alone.  The previous books serve to give you a better understanding of the relationship between Redvers and Jane, but are not necessary for the mysteries in this book.  Jane and Redvers are not only looking for a german spy but also delve into a missing husband who is ghosting his wife.

This series is truly delightful and well written and I look forward to more from this author.
A locked ship mystery!  It's 1926 and  Jane and the mysterious Redvers are posing as a married couple in order to uncover a German spy on their cruise ship.  That hunt gets pushed to the background when Vanessa, a newlywed, discovers that her new husband Miles, has gone missing along with all of his luggage.  She's told Miles didn't get on the ship but Jane saw him so what's going on?  Cozy fans know there will be a murder and that there will be red herrings.  I liked the second in this series (having missed the first) but know that this will be fine as a standalone.  Know also that it would have benefited from fact checking for timing related historical accuracy (a bugaboo for me).  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC. For cozy fans.
In Danger on the Atlantic, the third installment in Erica Ruth Neubauer's Jane Wunderly series, there are rumblings of unrest in Europe. Jane and Redvers pose as a married couple traveling on an ocean liner to discover who among three suspects is a German spy. But a missing newlywed husband and a gaslit bride distract Jane from her primary mission, putting her in peril from multiple sides.

For the character development and the backstories of Jane and Redvers alone, this is a great read. While the story does have some uneven pacing, the plot generally ticks along and there are enough red herrings to keep the reader guessing for a long while.

There are a few more will they/won't they moments between Jane and Redvers, but they also serve to deepen their connection. He is a bit dismissive of her thoughts on occasion, but in general, he treats her as a partner, which allows her to trust again after her disastrous abusive marriage.

If you haven't read the others, the only thing you're missing out on is Jane's overbearing aunt, so reading the first two is not crucial to enjoying this one. If you enjoy Christie-type puzzles, you'll like this book.

4/5 stars

I received an advance copy from Kensington and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
This historical mystery features Jane masquerading as the wife of Redvers, the handsome investigator, on a ship voyage to the United States. There are plenty of interesting characters in all walks of life, lots of period detail, and a good helping of romance.

The characters are developed and the story is tightly plotted. Jane is plucky and likeable.
Danger on the Atlantic by Erica Ruth Neubauer is a wonderful mystery set on an ocean liner. This book is a classic cozy mystery with a spy twist. Readers of this genre will not be disappointed. It has mysterious, interesting characters and a little romance, too. Such a fun read for a long weekend. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
"In Agatha Award-winning author Erica Ruth Neubauer’s third wanderlust-inspiring historical mystery, young American widow Jane Wunderly, there are worse fates than adventuring aboard a transatlantic liner with the only man who could change her mind about romance. Unfortunately, her first-class itinerary has an unexpected - and deadly - addition waiting just below deck...

Atlantic Ocean, 1926: Voyaging from Southampton to New York, self-reliant Jane is determined to prove herself a worthy investigator on the stately ship - even awkwardly going undercover as the fashionable wife of her magnetic partner, Mr. Redvers. Few details are known about the rumored German spy the duo have been tasked with identifying among fellow passengers, but new troubles unfold once wealthy newlywed Vanessa FitzSimmons announces the sudden disappearance of her husband at sea...

Miles Van de Meter, the man Vanessa rushed to marry in Monte Carlo, has allegedly vanished into thin air along with his luggage. Redvers guesses the shifty heiress may be weaving tall tales for fun between flutes of champagne, yet Jane isn’t convinced - not after the stunning murder of a trusted acquaintance sends them into uncharted waters. Facing two dangerous mysteries and a boat load of suspects, Jane must navigate a claustrophobic quest for answers before the culprits can slip from her grasp on land…or, worse, ensure she and Redvers never reach their destination."

Gotta support local Wisconsin authors!
Murder at the Mena House, the first book in this series, is a favorite of mine. I was slightly disappointed in the second book in this series, but am pleased that I enjoyed this one just as much as the first in the series. The ship setting, like The Mena House hotel in Egypt, was so fun, and I love how detailed the author is in creating an atmosphere. I truly felt like I was on the ship with Jane and Redvers drinking gin rickeys.

Jane is a fantastic sleuth, and the relationship progression between her and Redvers developed quite nicely in this installment. If you like mysteries with a strong sense of place and historical detail, this is a great series to try. I did find the ending to be a tad predictable, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment at all.

While this could be read as a standalone, I think readers would get more enjoyment out of the series having read at least the first one prior to this one. If you are a fan of Sara Rosett's High Society Lady series, Ashley Weaver's Amory Ames series, Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy series, or Jessica Ellicott's books, check this series out.

I can't wait to see where Jane and Redvers go next. I do hope it's another exotic locale, as I think that's when they shine the brightest.
Suspects And Motives Abound…
The third in the Jane Wunderly Mystery series and a delightfully readable whodunnit, first class of course, aboard ship. 1926 and a voyage from Southampton to New York, Jane finds that aboard a luxury liner dangers can be both numerous and unexpected. With a well drawn cast of characters, suspects and motives abound as Jane gets her investigative prowess honed to perfection. Will it be enough, however, to get to their destination alive?
Another heart-racing adventure with Jane Wunderly! I absolutely loved climbing aboard the RMS Olympic with Jane and Redvers for this third installment of the Jane Wunderly mysteries. The dashing duo voyage the high seas through more waves than the Atlantic could provide. A missing bridegroom, a German spy, a murdered steward… the mysteries keep piling up for our intrepid Jane to solve. Through this narrative, Jane learns to trust her instincts and her co-conspirator, Redvers, building on the relationship established in Books One and Two.

Again, Neubauer does an excellent job building Jane’s surroundings, describing the opulent ship and the first class accommodations well enough that you’ll feel as though you climbed aboard with her in Southampton. If you like historic mysteries, well plotted character arcs, and lots of intrigue, do not miss the Jane Wunderly Mysteries. Danger on the Atlantic stands alone, but you’re missing out if you don’t read the first two books! Thanks to Kensington Books, NetGalley, and Ms. Neubauer for the opportunity to set sail with Jane in exchange for my review.
This is the third Jane Wunderly mystery. The earlier books probably explain a few elusive details here, particularly her relationship with Redvers Dibble. He’s the better detective.
They’re on a trans-Atlantic sailing to find a German spy on the ship. Other passengers include the obnoxious Eloise and her meek sister Margret and brother-in-law Douglas Gould, suspected spy Heinz Nauman, and the floozy Vanessa, whose bridegroom disappeared immediately after sailing. Enough red herrings maintain a list of ne’er-do-wells to camouflage the spy’s contact.
The story takes place in 1926; the only sense of the historical aspect is the captain smuggling booze during prohibition.
The captain, incidentally, is named Bisset. Sir James Bisset was master of the Queen Mary during WWII; using his name for an unscrupulous captain is a blunder.
ocean-liner, historical-fiction, historical-places-events, historical-research, historical-setting, friendship, false-information, relationship-issues, relationships, class-consciousness, amateur-sleuth, cosy-mystery, undercover, missing-persons, murder, murder-investigation, sly-humor, romantic*****

You don't NEED to have read the first two, but you're really missing some good reads if you don't! This one easily stands alone as the author brings in the relevant information within the story. this time Jane and Redvers are looking to stop a German spy from selling dangerous information, get involved with a fellow passenger who is being gaslighted, and masquerade as wife and husband.
The humor is understated, the characters vivid, the plot complex, and the whole thing entertaining! The publisher's blurb is a good hook so there's no need to repeat that. Loved it!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Kensington Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
Nothing like a good story set aboard an ocean liner with some mystery to boot!
Wonderful characters and an awesome plot!
Told from Jane's point of view (my favorite thing because I can relate to the character more), I was glued to the book until I finished it.
So many twists and turns! Oh my!
This story had me guessing right up until the end!
I'll have to go back read her other novels as this a new to me author.
I highly recommend this book.
My thanks for a copy of this book. I was NOT required to write a positive review.  All opinions are my own.
This was such a fun story! I loved the premise of it and the setting was great. I like the author's writing style.
In this intriguing 3rd Jane Wunderly mystery, Jane is once again teamed up with enigmatic Redvers Dibble, her partner from the first two mysteries. It is 1926 and this time the duo is posing as a married couple on a voyage aboard the Olympic sailing from Southampton to New York. Their task is to find a German spy but Jane’s attention is soon diverted when a wealthy newlywed, Vanessa FitzSimmons, claims her husband, Miles Van de Meter, has disappeared along with his luggage. Redvers and the crew dismiss Vanessa’s claim, purporting that Miles never existed except in the young woman’s imagination. Jane on the other hand saw the couple together at the start of the cruise and believes that Vanessa is a victim of gaslighting. When someone is murdered, Jane and Revers race to uncover the murderer, solve the mystery of the missing husband, and still find their German spy; all while their mutual attraction for each other heats up.

With a profusion of suspects, a whole ship to cover, and no one seeming to be who or what they claim; Spunky Jane and the irresistible Redvers are pulled in many directions to set up for the dramatic reveal at the end. Danger on the Atlantic is a wonderful combination of mystery, romance and jazz age atmosphere. This is a fun series with a unique setting for each book, and a terrific feel for the time period. I highly recommend this one to fans of historical mysteries as well as cozy mysteries in general.
This time around Jane Wunderly and Redvers are setting sail from Southampton to New York City to track down a rumored German spy. Undercover as a married couple, they investigate their fellow first class passengers on the ship but keep getting side tracked by a missing passenger, that no one but his wife and Jane ever saw. Are they connected or is Jane being lied to by a mentally ill heiress? It is a fascinating story and I admit, the conclusions to both cases took me by surprise!

I look forward to the next book in the series and thank #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of #DangerontheAtlantic.
Jane and Redvers play husband and wife on a transatlantic cruise. Their mission: to uncover a German spy determined to steal secrets from the U.S. But Jane is sidetracked by socialite Vanessa FitzSimmons and her plea for someone to help her locate her missing husband. No one on the crew believes the quixotic socialite's story that her new husband is missing, least of all the captain of the ship. Ever the soft touch, Jane befriends Vanessa and attempt to discover what has happened to Vanessa's husband while searching for the German spy. Another witty, delightful entry in this series.
Danger on the Atlantic by Erica Ruth Neubauer is the third book in the Jane Wunderly historical cozy series. This was an entertaining mystery filled with Jane and Redvers investigating passengers and crew members for German spies and a missing husband of one of the passengers.

The plot moved smoothly but did slow down in the middle before picking back up the pace for the dramatic reveal. Jane and Redvers are developing organically throughout this book as they grow closer due to sharing a cabin as a "married couple" for the investigation. It was interesting about Redvers past as that did explain some of his attitude and personality changes during the investigation. Although the main mystery was supposed to be revealing the German spy, the hunt for the missing husband took over most of the book and connected directly to the dramatic reveal which I found to be odd. All in all a lovely afternoon of reading that kept me turning the pages.
This was a great addition to what is fast becoming one of my new favorite mystery series - its setting in the 1920s gives it all those Agatha Christie and Golden Age of Crime fiction vibes, plus Jane and Redvers are wonderfully drawn complex characters. **Thank you to both NetGalley and Kensington Books for an eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review!**

I will say in this particular outing in the series, the personal relationship's developments over-shadowed the mystery (which was a bit convoluted). The mysteries themselves in the first two installments were much stronger and more interesting for me. This one suffered a bit from a couple things, namely living up to one of my favorite tropes: murder on board, ie the manor house murder (albeit in this case a rather large "manor house"). The fact that a murder itself didn't start off the mystery but instead a series of possibly (or not) interconnected odd occurrences just lead to a convoluted feeling (potential spies, a potential missing person, possible gaslighting) until a murder did finally occur and from then the plot progressed a bit better in terms of the mystery portion, with some nice cat and mouse interplay.

That being said the developments in Jane and Redvers personal relationship made up for the lack or lulls in the mystery plot for me, and made this one that penultimate book in the series where your lead couple finally get together.

She's done a great job of having interesting and different settings in all the books so far and I hope that continues with the series. This is definitely a series I recommend to readers who enjoy Agatha Christie and other Golden Age era writers, but also contemporary cozy fans who like a strong female lead still discovering herself - the roaring 20's vibes are a great selling point too.