Cover Image: Freedom

Freedom

DNF

i wish i'd known this was a the 2nd book in a projected 7 book series....

my hope is that, part of the reason i did not connect with any of the main characters was due to all their character building happened in the first book "America".  as it was, we're thrown into 3 disparate, meandering, overwrought narratives (i think there is supposed to be a 4th but her arc is barely covered) of damaged, rather unlikeable characters.

this is not say "Freedom" is poorly written, because there is clearly craft here, it's just not for me.
I was attracted to this book because of its subject matter, the sixties, which I lived through, though I was six or seven years younger than the characters here.  I did not read the first book which might have given me more insight into the characters" motivations.  There is a lot of violence, alot of sex, and too many static discussions of strategy where the forward motion seems to stop.  And about the last of these, it's never quite clear how Mick ends up meeting with the likes of Bobby Kennedy, Bella Abzug, and Al Lowenstein.

The book, as does its predecessor, focuses on the experiences of four main characters.  This book seems to focus mostly on Mick.  I actually found Troy to be the most interesting character, perhaps because he was more fleshed out as a character than Mick and I clearly saw his dilemma.  Mick's story seemed all over the place (literally) and his motivations were not clear.  He talks alot about the war in Vietnam but it is unclear why he becomes such a one issue guy. The women in the book, with the exception of Su Li, are objectified by the men in their lives.  Every woman is a potential conquest.

I thought the plot was interesting--Mick's many adventures, Troy's horrific experiences in Vietnam; Tara in Detroit during the riots.  Nice incorporation of the music of the time as counterpoint.  Overall, the book is very grim--at the end, all of the characters are in a bad way and the US is burning to the ground with all of the protests.  The author has a somewhat paranoid view (perhaps?) that the CIA is responsible for all the bad stuff in the world.

Also in reading the book, I could not help but compare the world of the sixties with today--the fabric of the country is once again rent by divisions and protests.  As with Vietnam, we recently ended an unsuccessful and questionable war in Afghanistan.
This was a did not finish for me.

I felt like it was all over the place without a real focus and tried way too hard with the drugs, Bobby Kennedy and violence.
Coarse language and sexual content was too much for me so I couldn't finish it.. I was interested in the story because I grew up in this time period, but story was just not engaging to me.
I was a teen in the 60s and a college student in the 70s so I really looked forward to having some happy flashbacks. I liked the use of the four main characters having the “freedom” to choose different paths in their lives.
I had to stop reading at the 20% mark. The book upset me, mainly because of the descriptions of war and violence. I am sure there are plenty of readers that don’t mind reading these descriptions- but I’m not one of them.

I received this book from NeGalley, the author and publisher in exchange for a review.
Having “grown up” during the Vietnam era, I was intrigued by the book.  I was in high school and college during the years depicted and this absolutely gave you a sense of those times.  It actually made me uncomfortable to reflect on the 60’s and all the experiences it brought back.
Love his books and this no exception. Gritty. Well written and enjoyable but tough. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher!
We follow four main characters and their lives through the turmoil of  the sixties.   I was a child of the sixties and really liked this book. The characters were strong and it was well written.
Many thanks to Big City But Tess and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Mike Bond continues his America series with book two, Freedom.  Mick, Daisy, Troy and Tara are in their 20s, living in the 1960s. Troy is fighting in Vietnam while Mick is leading anti-war efforts at home. Tara is a rock star, playing music….and shooting heroin. And Daisy? She’s knee deep in neuroscience research - with the assistance of LSD.

As I’ve said before, Mike Bond is a phenomenal writer.  He’s lived an extraordinary life and it shows on every page.  With years of journalism experience, he leaves no stone unturned, pulls no punches. Bond is one of the most talented writers of our time and at least so far, the America series is a masterpiece.

I cannot recommend this series highly enough, especially if you are interested in history or politics.  I am really looking forward to Heart, the third book in the series.

Thanks to Mike Bond, Meryl Moss, Big City Press, and Netgalley for this ARC in return for my honest review.
I didn't realize when I picked this up that it was the second in the series. There are four main characters and maybe I would understand their motivations more if I had read book #1. The prose was kind of choppy, almost like a stream of consciousness. At one point when Mick was trying to get out of Jakarta it felt kind of anticlimactic. People being murdered all around him, he sneaks onto a ferry with no money but it was all of four pages maybe. I had looked forward to this. The 60's were my high school years and I thought it would be interesting to read about the things going on around me at that time. There were a couple of raw and gritty statements involving the sex act and Daisy that really triggered me.

I would like to thank Netgalley and Big City Press for providing me with my copy.
I had a tough time with this book.  It is all over the place.  I didn't know it was second in a series.  I had no idea where Daisy fit in and wondered if I had skipped a section.  Too much sex and drugs.  Too many 60s people in it for no reason like Bobby Kennedy and Tim Leary.  When I finally finish, I realize that its a cliffhanger.  Sad part is I don't care to find out what happens.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this.
"...the delicate dark mode of her c**t" is a sentence I never want to read ever again. And for that matter, I never want to read anything else by Mike Bond. Knowing that there will be 5 more volumes of this nonsense hurts my soul.

I'm going to keep this brief because there really isn't much to say. Everything that made the first volume unbearable is amplified here, except now all of our characters are so crucially important to historical events that it's just fallen into fanfiction territory at this point (with Bobby Kennedy being shoehorned in as a side character).

Every other page (it felt like) is dedicated to some sort of awkward, poorly written sex scene that does nothing for the story. It's there to make the already boring story seem more interesting than it actually is.

If you've read any war novel or watched any movie that takes place during the Vietnam War, you can skip this because every cliche and talking point is hit here to the nth degree. It's obnoxiously self centered.

I've been in a reading slump this year, at least when it comes to novels, but now that I know this is finally finished I can rest easy and hopefully pick something up that's worthwhile.

Thanks again to Big City Press and NetGalley for providing me a digital copy of this novel.
A beautifully written, thoughtful book delving into the price of freedom, the corruption of man and the pain of war.
I received this book as an ARC and this is my review. This story blasts the reader back to the Sixties: LSD, Vietnam, free love, Jim Morrison, Bobby Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson and draft dodgers. It is filled with hate and disappointment and travels all over the world with a frenzied anti-war message. This book will appeal to readers who want to view the underbelly of America and Vietnam during this turbulent decade.
I had to DNF this book which is something I rarely do. I had a very hard time getting into it and eventually I gave up. It's simply not for me.
Thank you to NetGalley and Big City Press for the opportunity to review this book.
Interesting take on the Vietnam war. This was not my usual type of read, but I did find parts of it very interesting and sad.
Another great Mike Bond novel.  I enjoyed this, but not quite as much as the first one, mostly because the focus in this book largely stayed with Mick, and I really wanted to know more about Tara and Troy.  What I loved, though, was the historical fiction showing the war, the politics, the times.  With Mike Bond’s amazing background, you know the history is grounded in truth.  Very much looking forward to the next novel.

Thank you Netgalley for an ARC.
This is no fault to the author but this title was not listed here as being the second book in a series. I wouldn’t haven’t requested this book if I’d known it was part of an ongoing series. That being said, the description intrigues me so I will add the first one to my TBR pile if my library picks it up.
Note to NG: please make sure to identify books in a series!
“Freedom”, Book 2 of the American series, by Mike Bond, is a series that follows the lives of Americans Mick, Troy, Tara and Daisy. In the first book of the series, we experienced their childhood and teen years. In “FREEDOM’, we follow them into young adulthood during the tumultuous times of the 1960’s. Each of them chooses a different path. I appreciate what the author is creating- an historical fiction look through the decades of change in America, but it was hard for me to bond with the characters.  Way too much sex and drugs for this reader! However, I can see that readers who are keen to learn more about the events of the Viet Nam War, with a graphic look at the behavior and social events of the 1960’a and onward would be interested. Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and Meryl Moss Media group for a digital advance review copy. This is my honest review.
Freedom is the second book in a series which focuses on four young adults and how they live their lives during the 60’s.  The USA was very divided on events that occurred during that time, which was reflected in the activities of the four.  I really like historical fiction and loved the book “America”.   This book took a little more time to get into, but was quite good.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for an honest review.