Cover Image: A Secret at Tansy Falls

A Secret at Tansy Falls

The old farmhouse at Tansy Falls. A little patch of paradise in the hills of Vermont. Home to happy couple Connie and Nate. And a long-buried secret that will ignite a devastating spark…
We all know that secrets don't hide forever and when they come out, there is heartbreak and there is pain. This is my second Cate Woods read and A Secret at Tansy Falls is the second book in the series but can be easily read as a standalone
I loved the first book and I immediately said yes to the second. It was such a warm feeling to get back to Vermont and Tansy Falls Inn
The story line is so realistic and the characters so lovable. It drew me in from the first page and kept me in that pitoresque setting up to the end
I do have to warn you that this book is an emotional rollercoaster and you will definitely need some tissues in hand. It is a proper page turner that has it all. As you read, you go from warmth to worry and love to frustration but keep reading because it's so beautiful and romantic
I am looking forward to read the next book in the series
What a delight it is to return to the Vermont community of Tansy Falls,
Where the romance in wedded bliss appears beginning to pall...
Connie and Nate no longer seem to communicate
Are they growing apart? Is it stress - or just fate?

Since Nate lost his job, he's struggling and becoming distant, too.
Still working hard, Connie's unsure what to do.
Then Nate forgets her birthday for the very first time
And their son is worried he'll be charged with a crime!

A busy, stress filled time at her job at the Inn,
Connie's starting to think there's no chance that she'll win.
Will this be the end of their long running romance?
Should she be giving him a second chance?

With her Dad revealing other secrets that shock her, too,
And the new lodger proving attentive and attractive, what should she do?
So many pressures and discoveries to be made
As parts in this family drama remain to be played.

It is a story full of heartbreak and more
Occurring in a community that I adore.
Get ready for revelations on several folks' part
And a brilliant ending to heal your heart.

For my complementary copy of this book, I say thank you,
I throughly enjoyed reading it and this is my honest review.
This is the story of Connie's journey.  Connie has been married to Nate for twenty years.  Their son leaves for college, Nate lost his job, and life has changed. This is life, and we find out what happens when life changes.
There are friends and family, coworkers, guest, and many others on Connie's journey.  Connie became lost, struggling with the changes, but she also learned who she is now, what she wants now, and stands up for herself. Everyone has a journey to live, and A Secret At Tansy Falls, reminds us that, but for some it will be things that will happen to them in the future, and for others it will be looking at their own journey, and what theirs was like. It is one thing to live a journey, where it isn't always out in the open, but when you are reading this story, it is everything that has happened, is happening, and how they are setting up their future.
I received an ARC from Bookouture through NetGalley.
A secret at tansy falls by Cate Woods.
Book 2 of tansy falls.
As the summer sun sets over the sleepy Vermont town of Tansy Falls, Connie is reminded of how lucky she is. Every day, when she leaves the job she loves, managing the Covered Bridge Inn with her best friend Piper, she looks forward to returning to the farmhouse she shares with her husband Nate. At home, her flowerbeds overflow with day lilies and the weathered brick walls of her beautiful house glow in the evening light. The air is filled with the scent of the puffed apple pancakes she prepared that morning.
But one night, when Nate returns home, he is distant. He and Connie have been married for a long time, and while the laughter and lingering kisses have dwindled, Connie believed they would be together forever. So when a stranger arrives on their doorstep with a shocking secret about Nate, Connie’s life changes beyond all recognition.
Connie never thought she’d need to start over and live a life without Nate by her side. But as her heart breaks, Piper and the team at the inn are ready to help stitch it back together, with thoughtful advice washed down with warm spiced cider. As Connie begins to feel whole again, distraction arrives in the form of olive-skinned, broad-shouldered newcomer James. Nate has taught Connie that she doesn’t need a man, but James’s arrival helps her discover that she can follow her own dreams too. But as more secrets come to the surface, Connie wonders if she’ll ever truly be able to leave behind her past for good…
A lovely read with some good characters.  Likeable story.  4*.
This is the first time I've read a novel by Cate Woods and I hope it won't be the last. I loved A Secret at Tansy Falls - the descriptions of the location felt so real, I could be there seeing them myself and how I wished I was!  Connie is a mum of one teenage son who's away at college; she's also the manager at the local hotel.  Her husband, Nate, is out of work and she had started to feel invisible to him.  Nate attached for a temporary lodger, James, to help with the finances.  Will Connie be tempted by the gorgeous man who flirts with her and gives her the attention she craves?  All will be revealed when you read the book!
This is the second book in this series but it can totally stand alone. I loved the first book but this one was just ok. Maybe it was just because I loved the first one so much and the characters for it were barely mentioned in this one.
I'll be honest and tell you I was initially drawn to this book by the beautiful cover! I wasn't disappointed. I didn't realize it is the 2nd book in a series and I hadn't read the first book, but that didn't seem to matter. Had I read the first book, I might have been more familiar with some places and background of some side characters, but I didn't feel like anything was missing and this book does fine as a stand-alone. It was a quick and easy read with relatable characters and a wonderful setting. As a woman in my mid-forties quickly approaching that empty nest, I appreciated the relatability of many of the scenarios presented in the story. I feel this life transition is not represented enough in the literature world!! The book was fun to read and full of some pretty great humor as well as the heart-warming story of a strong woman holding the pieces of her life together and trudging through the rough times as well as the good. I'd recommend for anyone looking for a light, quick read.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced e-book in exchange for my honest review.
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'A Secret At Tansy Falls' by Cate Woods.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Cate Woods, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 20th January 2022.

This is the second book I have read by this author. It is also the second book in the 'Tansy Falls' series but can be read as a standalone. I have previously read the first book in the series called 'The Inn At Tansy Falls' which I highly recommend.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that 'If you love gripping, heartbreaking romantic stories by Elin Hildebrand and Robyn Carr, you will be hooked by A Secret at Tansy Falls.' I am a huge fan of Robyn Carr so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I am also a huge fan of Cate and if this is half as good as 'The Inn At Tansy Falls' it is sure to be a page turning read. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of 38 chapters. The chapters are short to medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in Vermont, USA 🇺🇸.

This book is written in third and person perspective and the main protagonist is Connie Austen. The benefits of third person perspective with are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

Wow!! What an absolutely gorgeous book and a beautiful welcome back to the gorgeous Tansy Falls. Strangely enough my mind wandered back to Tansy Falls a few weeks ago before I even knew I was going to read this book, it is definitely a place that stays with you. I absolutely LOVED reading this and was devastated when my journey at Tansy falls came to an end. However, I have got book 3 to look forward to which I'm eagerly awaiting!!

This book is beautifully written with vivid descriptions and stunning surroundings I was absolutely captivated throughout. The cover and the synopsis work perfectly with the storyline.

The storyline is absolutely gorgeous yet both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. The storyline is realistic and down to earth and the setting is picturesque. I was absolutely sucked in from the first to the last page of this heartwarming and soul lifting page turner. On several occasions I had to reach for the tissues so make sure you have a supply to hand before you start reading this and clear your time table as you are going on a beautiful journey. It was such a rollercoaster ride of emotions from blissful happiness to worry, filled with warmth and love to anger. There were lies, secrets, shocks, romance, deceipt, sadness, tears and laughter. I genuinely felt like I was on holidays in Tansy Falls and I was devastated when I realised I had to pack my bags and leave at the end. However, all is not lost and I cannot wait for the next book in what promises to be a page turning series. I was devastated when I came to the end and realised I'd have to pack my suitcase to leave the gorgeous Tansy Falls and return to rainy Wales after a stunning getaway.

Although this is the second book in the series I had absolutely no problems reading it without the others. Any details or events that have previously happened are mentioned in just the right amount of detail to let a new reader know what has happened and yet not too much to bore a previous reader.

I fell in love with not just Tansy Falls again but all the amazing people in there. It was such a friendly village where everyone knew everyone else and you would never feel alone. I loved how Connie's character and personality developed throughout the story and I bonded with her immediately. Her friendship and closeness to Spencer and Piper is beautiful and her story that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. Connie went through so much in this book from husband troubles to son stress to work worries to heartbreak my heart really went out to her. I had tears streaming down my face at the end and I can't wait to meet her and Nate again. I had mixed feelings about Nate from wanting to scream at him to feeling sorry, Cate truly showed the struggles some men go through and as they don't all show their emotions it can cause so much worry. I loved meeting so many old faces such as Spencer, Piper, Boomer, Darlene (not so much Carole, Mitch and Brody) and seeing some fresh faces around, some of whom were a good laugh others who I'm glad to see the back end of. Whether I loved them or hated them they all came together to make a perfect story. I'm looking forward to meeting many of them again.

Cate congratulations on an absolutely stunning novel, this is why you are in my top author list. Your book is a page turning heartwarming and soul lifting success and Cecilia Ahern has definitely got some competition!!! I would love to see this turned into a movie and I hope your busy writing book 3 as I for one cannot wait!!!

Overall an absolutely gorgeous book that will whisk you off to Tansy Falls and lift your heart and spirit. A page turning, addictive compelling novel that will leave you wanting more

Some of my favourite quotes/sayings in this book include the following:

♥ Not a quote or saying but loved there was a "Jerry Whitlock" in the book ♥

Genres covered in this novel include Romance Novel, Contemporary Fiction and Domestic Fiction amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of ReaAnne Thayne, Debbie Macomber, Robyn Carr, Cecilia Ahern and anyone needing a gorgeous break away.

257 pages.

This book is just £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#ASecretAtTansyFalls #Bookouture  #CateWoods #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@CateWoods  @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Loved the premise and the writing but wasn’t a fan of how the plot played out. Marriage is hard. This book treated it with a tiny bit of frivolity in my opinion. However, the plot finally came around and I liked the ending!
DNF at 33%

I was somewhat confused about what was going on. I probably should have read the first book in the series since it's clear that I was supposed to know and appreciate some of the side characters and their overly complicated backstories.

I decided to put this down because I had a hard time caring about any of the characters, and there were meandering scenes that had no purpose.

I wanted to love this one but I just don't think it's for me.
A Secret at Tansy Falls is part of a series but can be easily enjoyed as a stand-alone read.  It was a real treat to return to Tansy Falls and meet a lovely group of new characters and catch up with a few from the previous book. The synopsis sets the scene perfectly and I’m ever mindful of including spoilers but must add that making your mind up about what will happen, early in the story, will leave you surprised.
Connie is a fantastic protagonist, and I found her story to be immediately compelling as she dealt with the challenges that faced her.  Feeling drained from trying to drum up business for the Covered Bridge Inn, questioning her marriage all whilst attracted to another man, it’s no wonder. In addition, she’s dealing with a potential gold digger eyeing up her Dad and a son facing challenges at College; it’s the perfect storm for monumental mistakes.
I really get on well with Cate Woods’ writing, I find that her stories flow and, once again, I finished this book in a single sitting. The characters are well developed and easy to imagine.  The aspect of the story that included the social media influencers was an excellent addition and lent some light relief to Connie’s personal predicaments.
The star of this book, for me, is the descriptions of Tansy Falls.  I used to live in a mountain community and easily imagined the swimming holes, the colours of the trees and the views whilst hiking the trails.
I really enjoyed the first Tansy Falls book; The Inn at Tansy Falls so I was looking forward to reading this one. Although they are set in the same town and the characters from the previous book do make a cameo appearance in this, you really don't need to have read the first book.
A secret at Tansy Falls is a different kind of read. It deals with older characters, Connie and Nate are in their late fifties and after twenty or so happy years of marriage, things seem to be falling apart for them.
The book deals with their relationship and how things can change over time, falling apart without you even really realizing why. I'm not usually one for getting emotional over a book, but I did find myself getting a little teary now and again as the story unfolded. I couldn't help but feel for Connie, who seems to be juggling so many balls all at once, feeling as though they are all going to smash to the ground at any second.
This was a lovely read and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. I hope that we are going to get a chance to return to Tansy Falls again before long.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own and given voluntarily.
This is the second book in the Tansy Falls series.  I have not read the first book and having read this book, I feel it can be read as a stand alone with no problem,
A Secret at Tansy Falls is a story about love and forgiveness.  The setting sounds so wonderful and beautiful.  The characters are flawed in many ways though engaging.
The authors writing draws you in with heartwarming and humorous moments.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest review.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Cate Woods is a new-to-me author, and, as is my norm, A Secret at Tansy Falls is the second book in a series--I've not read the first one, but, for a change, I didn't feel lost at all, so this novel worked just fine as a standalone. My primary reason for requesting an advance reader copy of this novel was the setting, northern Vermont, not all that far from where I reside, having moved here in the mid 1980s, and while I liked the sense of place in this novel, as a former business owner here, the author's estimation of the wealthy crowds of shoppers in this tiny Vermont hamlet was a bit over-the-top and unrealistic. Additionally, although I read and review romance novels, I rarely read midlife-crisis women's fiction, and while I enjoyed the way the novel was written, there were things about it that just didn't work for me, and for that reason and several others, I can only give it a 3.5 star rating.

The main characters in this novel are Connie (Conifer) and Nate Austen, a married couple for almost 23 years, and after Nate lost his job almost a year earlier, he's yet to find another one, and he doesn't really seem to be looking hard for another one, at least in Connie's eyes. While I understand his angst because the same event happened in my own marriage more than a decade ago, when a man cannot support his family it shakes his self-esteem and his feelings of self-worth.

Luckily, Connie has a job managing a successful and charming small hotel, so although her wealthy and almost 70-year-old hippie father refused to give her a loan, she's managed to keep their home and pay the bills, and her most recent idea is paying off--taking in a boarder, James, who is a posh designer working at the new ultra-deluxe resort being built nearby, a move which certainly causes complications later on, as does the fact that her father has suddenly taken up with a woman 10 years her junior.

To add to her stress, Connie has scheduled a free journalists/travel bloggers weekend at the inn, and hired an event coordinator to deal with the details, and promote the inn as a great place for a wedding, but at the last minute she learns that her new hire has taken a job at the new resort, leaving her in the lurch. As if that wasn't enough stress, her husband forgets her birthday, her flirtatious boarder has not, and her son, who has been at college, arrives suddenly--after getting drunk at a frat party and possibly being accused of and charged with sexual assault. As if that wasn't enough angst, her husband, who's been gone for weeks, returns home and announces that he's finally found a job--in San Francisco.

So what's wrong with this picture? In three words--lack of communication. Most of Connie's angst and fears, depression and confusion are due to the fact that all of these issues are spinning endlessly around inside her head. Her motto is "everything is fine," even when none of it is--her marriage is crumbling in front of her and she doesn't say a thing to Nate. If my husband forgot my birthday, believe me, he'd be hearing about it. If we'd barely said two words to one another for the better part of a year, I wouldn't ignore it and simply hope for better.

Perhaps my perspective about the plot of this novel and the behavior of its main character is skewed by the fact that I've been married twice as long as Connie and Nate, and when problems arise they are dealt with, talked about and resolved. No problem is ever solved by pretending it doesn't exist, and I expected more of that insight from a woman who is 49 years old. There were moments in this novel, especially when Connie starts to believe that her husband is having an affair, when I wanted to reach into the novel and slap some sense into her, especially after she finds herself attracted to her boarder. I found that Connie was, in many ways, her own worst enemy.

If you enjoy angsty novels, and I generally do, you may find yourself liking this novel more than I did. It is well-written, but I'm guessing that the author has not been married nearly as long as I have (46 years), and doesn't share my perspective about openness and honest communication between marital partners. It's not a bad read, but I did find it a frustrating one. And one final question--what exactly was the secret mentioned in the title?

As stated, I read an advance reader copy of this novel. The opinions expressed are my own.
3.5 Stars

When I requested this book I didn’t realize it is the second in a trilogy featuring the charming New England town of Tansy Falls. I had a sense as I was reading it that I was missing a bit of subtext, but I do feel this works as a stand-alone novel.

Connie (aka Conifer) and Nate Austen are both aware that their long-term marriage is being to unravel. Nate lost his job as editor of a respected travel magazine, suffering a severe blow to his self-confidence and self-worth. Connie, the manager of a small family-owned hotel, picked up the slack as breadwinner and worried about stretching their finances. To make ends meet, they agree to take in a boarder. The drama ensues with multiple complications adding to the stress: the new renter senses her vulnerability and pursues Connie; her widowed father falls in love with a much younger woman; a weekend press trip for the hotel takes an unusual turn that jeopardizes Connie’s reputation and job; and the Austen’s son is under investigation at his college. Mix in the octogenarian and highly opinionated owners of the hotel, a very pregnant pastry chef and Connie’s righteous sister – making for a chaotic, but interesting storyline.

While the writing is engaging, I did have a few concerns. Connie’s people-pleasing, peacekeeper persona leads her into difficulty through poor communication. I did appreciate when she began to assert herself, but the resolution of her marital difficulties seemed rushed and unrealistic. Similarly, the crabby octogenarian owner does a complete reversal of her previous, relentless criticisms in one conversation. I also found what I believe to be an error – not a huge problem, but it calls for more attention to detail. A shaman-healer invites Connie to a full moon women’s circle in the woods. Connie mentions that the moonlight is so bright she doesn’t need a flashlight. Once the circle convenes the Shaman emphasizes this is a new moon ceremony to plant “seeds,” rather than a full moon ceremony to honor the fulfillment of the cycle before a new beginning.

I am tempted to track down a copy of the first book (The Inn at Tansy Falls) and I look forward to the third offering in the series.

My thanks to the author, the publisher, and Net Galley for the privilege of reviewing this book. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

This review is being posted immediately to my Good Reads account and will be posted on Amazon upon publication.
Beautifully written story!
So much has been lost just because we still don't know how to reach out, how to respond with kindness, how to survive the unexpected. This is what this story is about, love, resilience, and forgiveness.  This is one of those hard to overcome books, hard to forget without feeling the sadness and gratefulness for reading it. Ambiguous but true. A perfect read!

📑This ARC was granted to me through NetGalley and approved by Bookouture in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!
This book is the second in a series but can easily be read as a standalone.

Connie is struggling. Her long-term marriage to Nate has lost its spark, well and truly, and when a handsome man starts paying her attention, it isn't too long until things get into a muddle. She also has a demanding job and a son who gets himself into strife.

I really wasn't sure where this book was going to go, initially, but it found its rhythm. There are definitely some twists and turns which add interest and I enjoyed reading about the various guests and their antics at the Inn that Connie managed.

4.5 stars from me.

A light read in a beautiful setting.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.
I enjoyed this sweet story so much.
I enjoyed it because I felt like this story was so me. I related to a lot that was going on. Especially between  Connie and Nate.
Wow I sure didn't like James! I thought something was fishy about him. He wasn't right that's for sure!
You know,  there were just some funny places that I just had to snicker at but other times I felt so bad for these characters.
I was kept on the edge of my seat eagerly turning the pages to see how things would turn out. I wasn't disappointed.  In fact, I  really didn't want the story to end!
I'm giving this book 5 stars for the wonderful writing of this book. The author has done a fabulous job in making my heart full and satisfied.
Connie is in the beginning of the empty nesting phase and with her husband recently unemployed, she is barely holding it together when a lodger makes her question it all.

I am not sure I read the synopsis of this one closely because I as a reader tend to avoid the is he cheating books.  I just don't love to read that kind of a story and tend to avoid them.  So for Connie to question her relationship throughout the book, I just don't love reading that and don't love that kind of anticipation waiting to see the conclusion.

As far as the characters.  I loved Connie when she was at work.  I loved the small town and her working at the inn and the characters that she interacted with there, so I slowly read those pages and skipped over the is he cheating parts!

I would read more from this author if the characters are put into a different plot.

Just as a warning, I didn't know this before starting this book, but it is book two in a series and there were a few moments while reading where I could tell that I had missed a previous book that had plot points that I would have liked before reading this one.  While I know in romance series, the romance is self contained, I tend to be a purist and like to start at square one, so go read that one before this one!
Change is tough, especially when it isn't what you've chosen.  Connie, who works at the Inn at Tansy Falls, feels that her husband Nate has grown distant even as she herself becomes closer to James.  And then there's her father.  There are multiple plot lines in this novel about a group of people in a small town but it's easy to follow- and you don't need to have read the first book.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. A pleasant read.