Cover Image: It All Comes Down to This

It All Comes Down to This

I really enjoyed this book after I got into it.  It took me a while in the beginning because there were so many characters and I felt like I couldn't keep everyone straight.  After I got more involved in the story, I enjoyed the characters, the different storylines, and the setting.  I feel like planning a trip to Maine after reading it!
Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for an arc of this book.
More than deserving of my 5-star rating, this delightful confection of a book concerns itself with Fate. Whether you call it Kismet (from the Islamic) or Bashert (from the Yiddish), this book is about fate and how strangely and unexpectedly it can find you.

Marti, mother t0 three daughters, dies of lung cancer early in the book and leaves, with her will, a video that tells the three Geller sisters that her whole life was a lie.  Rather than being from Kentucky and an orphan, Marti confesses that she was a child of a poor farm family in Mt. Desert Island, Maine. The cottage there is to be sold with the proceeds divided among the three sisters.

Beck, a journalist and the eldest, is married to Paul, an editor in a dull, unsatisfying long marriage.  Claire, middle sister is a successful pediatric cardiac surgeon, newly divorced from Chad.  In a tipsy confession, Claire had told Chad she had always loved her brother-in-law, Paul.

The youngest, prettiest sister, Sophie, is a gallerist and Instagram media influencer. She travels in posh circles, rubbing shoulders with celebrities like George and Amal Clooney, Liev Schreiber, and famous models, rock stars and celebrities.  He life is a page six story, except that she is almost broke.

C.J., an ex-con who has just been released from prison for attempted murder of his rich but verbally abusive father, comes to. Mt. Desert Island to find a scenic place in which to paint.  Arlo, whom he meets there, is an orphaned 8-year-old being cared for by his elderly grandmother.

How their lives combine, recombine and change is what makes this book so charming and engrossing.  Unlike most Women's Fiction (a term I dislike) this novel is filled with humor, great characters and purely wonderful writing.

With winter rapidly approaching, this is the perfect book with which to curl up. while, covered with a cashmere throw and drinking hot chocolate. Every character and page comes to life in full color. The fun of reading it makes it worth every star.

Thanks to the publisher and author for an early copy to read in exchange for an honest review.
As the book opens, Marti Geller is dying and is finalizing her will with very specific instructions for the division of her property. While her three adult daughters are not estranged, they are very different individuals and each very much into her own life.  They are required to come together in agreement to carry out their mother’s final wishes.  I did not find many redeeming qualities in the characters in the first half of the book, yet by the end I found their actions endearing.  A newly released ex con working in the area and his very loving relationship with an orphaned adolescent boy provides a nice sub plot, and the Maine coast makes for a pleasant setting.  I enjoy novels that have strong sibling relationships, and as the novel ends, there is no question that these sisters have each other’s backs.  It ties up a little too neatly, but then why should I complain about a happy ending? While I didn’t find this as enjoyable as the author’s earlier novels, it did make for an interesting read.
#ItAllComesDownToThis.            #NetGalley
I’m a sucker for appropriate endings!  I say it that way to keep from spoiling it for other readers. This book is about three sisters whose Mother has just died. At times I thought the book was a little boring and focused on things that were not pertinent to the story. Then there would be a few chapters that were well written and interesting. The sisters are Beck, Claire and Sophie. They are very different and live very different lives. But then, they are sisters that were raised by both of their parents and so they really are somewhat alike.  It’s an interesting story and I would probably read another from this author. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advance copy for my honest review.
I want to thank St Martin’s Press and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review It All Comes Down to This by Therese Anne Fowler.
Marti has three very different adult daughters. Marti, who is terminally ill, has carefully crafted what happens when she dies.
A lot of this story revolves around “camp”, the family summer home in Mount Desert Inn, Maine. Secrets abound, even from the grave, and beyond.
Does Beck confront Paul? Is he gay?
Will Claire and Paul ever confess their feelings for one another?
How does Sophie extricate herself?
This novel , is a woman’s book. There are good character studies and descriptions.
It All Comes Down to This is scheduled for publication June 7, 2022.
An interesting story about family dynamics and conflict. I think the story is reflective of true life in many ways  and accurate about what families can be like.
Fowler gives Elin Hilderbrand a run for her money in IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THIS.  Fowler takes a well-known trope in women's fiction - daughters called together to a cottage on a lake to fulfill the mother's dying wish.  But each of these women and deep, richly created characters and I really came to care about them as I read.  there's Beck, devoted wife and mother, now an empty-nester struggling to figure out if she can truly be the novelist she always hoped to be.  And Claire, a doctor in a chilly midwestern town whose husband recently filed for divorce, which she doesn't mind so much, but her young son does.  And there's Sophie, who has strived for years for recognition - her high-flying lifestyle really just a front.  As the three women explore who they are without the mother who bound them together, secrets are revealed, relationships tested, but each emerges as the person she was truly meant to be.  Sentimental, but not sappy, IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THIS is a wonderful, comforting read.
This is an excellent book about family relationships. It is powerfully written, heartbreaking at times, and very compelling. The story centers around three sisters who inherit the family cabin after their mother’s death  and must decide what to do with it. Life is messy, relationships are messy, and families are messy, and Fowler does an excellent job of depicting all of this is one lovely book. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with the opportunity to read and review this book.
Really enjoyed this book!  The story and characters really pulled me in. The three sisters were all very different and had their own problems and ideas.

When their mother dies, they learn she had kept some secrets from them and they were to sell a lakehouse in Maine and divide the proceeds. Each sister has a different idea about this and for many different reasons. Beck is a journalist, headstrong and confidant, married to Paul which  has become mostly platonic. Claire is a divorced pediatric cardiologist with one son, she longs for a man she cannot have. Sophie works at an art gallery and is trying to be an influencer but she’s quickly running out of money and options. You are also  taken back in time and find out their mother’s story too.

The ending was satisfying which, for me, is always a plus. Thanks to NetGalley and St Martin’s Press for allowing me to read this book.
It All Comes Down to This by Therese Anne Fowler is the story of a mother, planning the end of her life and her three daughters who lead very different lives, but come together after their mother's death to deal with what she has left them to do.  When Marti passes, she leaves her daughters a vacation home in Maine, which only one of them wants to keep. Beck feels that it will inspire her creativity and allow her to write her first novel, but her sisters want to sell so they can have the money, especially her younger sister who is deeply in debt.  The novel brings their disparate (and desperate) situations to the forefront and uncovers secrets that have been hiding for years.

I felt the novel was a little slow in some places and very unrealistic in others, although it did keep me entertained enough to keep reading to the end.  It did leave many unanswered questions, maybe there's going to be a sequel to answer them?  Thank you to the author, St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
Initially, I was sure I wouldn't enjoy this book. However. I was completely misinformed and incorrect.

This is a book about family. And accepting those in your family and acknowledging that being part of a family is messy and difficult but sometimes, oh so worthwhile.

All three sisters at the center of this family drama have their own secrets and troubles, that by the end of the book are resolved nicely and satisfactorily. I also enjoyed learning about C.J. and how his own story overlapped with the sisters, but also had a different message about family, and how sometimes it's not the ones we are born into but the ones we make that end up staying with us.

Families are messy and maybe this family was a bit more messy than average, but I still enjoyed being along for the ride and certainly recommend others take the journey with them too.

Thank you to NetGalley for the electronic ARC of this novel.
Three sisters inherit their family cabin in Maine after their mother passes away. Her will indicates that her adult daughters should sell the property and split the profits. Beck would like to keep it but can't afford to buy out her sisters, Claire and Sophie. Family dynamics, personalities and life experiences make for interesting plot twists. The author's research and skillful descriptions make It All Comes Down to This a pleasure to read.
This book could have been written about a lot of families that I know. Life is just messy. There is divorce, love triangles, children splitting the week between parents, overspending, people in debt......the list goes on. This is not just a novel about one particular issue. There is so much going on, starting with a mother who would rather die alone than with family at her side. From that point, the sisters need to reunite in order to sell off the family vacation home- and that is when everything comes out. While I did not care for the sisters, I enjoyed this book although it did drag on in parts. Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
It All Comes Down to This by T.A. Fowler, published by St. Martin's Press, paints the story of a family. Three sisters, strong minded Sophie, Claire and Beck Geller. The sisters are back home for their flailing mother. They're different from each other, bt also have much in common.
A touching warm hearted novel of family and sisterhood, a story of heartbreak and healing, 4,5 stars.
This story starts out with the matriarch of the Geller family finalizing all her final plans as she prepares for her demise.
Upon notification that their Mother has died, though aware of her illness, yet never prepared, the three daughters return home.
The journey and dysfunction is apparent between each women as they try to navigate through what they really want from life and the assets their mother has left for them to sell. Will they all agree?
What is realistic?

This is an interesting novel and though I enjoyed it at times, I truly was not in awe of it.
It has family, friendship, romance and heartache!
An interesting and deep novel detailing fractured relationships, secrets, and hidden lies. The lives of three very different sisters are thrown together when their mother dies. The transition from envious to caring is a tough road well written and thoughtful.
Three sisters, Beck, Clair, and Sophie are brought together when their mother dies sooner than they had anticipated.  They must deal with her estate and decisions around a family cottage.  Each of the girls has their own struggles in their current adult life, and specific hopes for the estate settlement.  This book has several storylines that intertwine with each other.  I didn't feel as strong of a connection to the characters as I have in Fowler's other books.
Unfortunately I didn’t really care for Therese Anne Fowler’s book “It All Comes Down to This”.  The storyline doesn’t flow very well and appears jumpy at times.  Additionally some of the derogatory political comment could have been omitted.  I will perhaps try a different novel by Ms Fowler.
This is hands down the best eARC I've had the pleasure of reading this year!
2022 better watch out because this book is going to be lit!

I loved Fowler's book A Good Neighbor!
So I was super pumped to receive the email about  It All Comes Down to This widget!
Therese Anne Fowler has a way with words that simply are astonishing.

Meet the Geller sisters: Beck, Claire, and Sophie, a trio of determined ladies whose practical widowed mother, Marti, who is sadly dying and will take her secrets to the grave.
Marti has taken great care of everything and making sure everything is done simple with her estate after she is gone. Which also includes a provision that the family’s summer cottage on Mount Desert Island, Maine, must be sold, the proceeds split equally between the three girls.
The older Beck is a freelance journalist whose marriage is slowly looking more like roommates than an actual marriage!
Claire, who is a pediatric cardiologist, and the middle daughter, has always felt like the Geller misfit. Who is recently divorced.
And the youngest daughter Sophie who is living the Instagram-ready life, filled with glamorous work and travel, celebrities, fashion, art, and sex.
But truth be told her world is about to fall all around her!
And we add CJ who is an ex-con with a past of his own. And comes to town who complicate the situation.
All is not what it seems, and everything is about to change.
A story of sisterhood, heartbreak, home, and what it takes to remake a life!

A heartbreaking, compelling, and thought-provoking story with many well-developed characters.
This story deals with many important issues. Many of the conversations and situations in this novel will stay with me for a long time.
Such a emotionally powerful read I felt this was a very quick read.
A powerhouse of A story. I couldn't stop. Actually I didn't want to.
And that is worth every damn star!
The writing is just beyond phenomenal..... All to say about that. Phenomenal!
This heartbreaking story is timely and and all too plausible and the only thing that kept me going was a great
What's really exciting about this book is that my feelings were all over the damn place. In such a good way!
I could not be more thankful for the reading experience that was this book. It was such a moving experience and does all the things a true, 5 star read should.
A gorgeous book from cover to end!

Thank you so much St. Martin's Press, for this eARC!
And a thank you to NetGalley!
Thank you #Netgalley for the advanced copy.

I am a fan of Fowlers writing and was happy to get an early copy of her new novel.  This book follows 3 girls who mother just died, leaving them some surprises along the way.  This book took me awhile to get into until I was able to navigate the key players. We get the perspectives from Marti, the mother, three daughters, Paul (spouse of daughter) and CJ a man from the past.  The group is all intertwined and come full circle after the death of Marti and visiting Camp, their cabin on the water.  Each person has their own secrets and Marti's death helps unite them all together and encourages them to be honest with each other.