Cover Image: The Sizzle Paradox

The Sizzle Paradox

So I really wanted to like this book. I did! But for whatever reason, it didn't quite hit with me. It's really well written and sweet, but the chemistry between Lyric and Kian didn't quite lift off the page for me as I hoped. It's a really cute book, and something I would recommend to friends who are looking to get into rom-coms, but I was hoping for a bit more mmmph and I was left wanting more.
I definitely love Lily Menon! She is a fantastic writer and really entrances you with her story lines. This was a perfect mix of friends to lovers, science and not being able to deny the one that you love. I felt connected to the characters, especially Lyric, and found that the story wrapped up nicely as well.
Ahhh as a graduate student I understand Lyric's struggle with her project. I definitely am a huge fan of the friends-to-lovers trope and this is a perfect example of it! Kian is the best friend that we all want--supportive and willing to step up and help her in her time of need... I mean maybe a little unconsciously on his part a bit selfish in the RomCom way!

What a bummer that Kian is going to graduate ahead of LB and I was rooting for them to get together the entire time. I hate leaving reviews with too much info but I love this easy read by Lily Menon and am very excited to read her next book!

Thanks to NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review!
I struggle to really follow this story and really get pulled in with the characters. Immediately the relationship between Lyric and Kian is set up in the friend zone and a sweet brother and sister relationship. It felt like they really never left it throughout the book.
The book progressed slowly, and the Lyric didn't come off as an adult that is pursue her PHD in her degree. She acted not awkward but like a high schooler still in school. To me it was what caused a disconnect for me.
I thought this book had a good story idea and I wanted to be invested in the plot. I read another book that the author wrote and felt that this book wasn't as strong as the last one.
This was a cute romance novel. This is a friends to lovers trope and the way these two best friends acted together made this novel so light hearted and an enjoyable read.

This novel is marked as an adult romance. With that being said, it felt more like a new adult novel to me. It’s set in college- albeit both main characters are in phd programs but the premise of the book is more geared towards new adult romance. So take that as you will. There was one, maybe two, scenes that were x-rated. One I would say that bumped up the novel from young adult to new adult and the other was definitely young adultish.

So the sizzle paradox is what Lyric, our main female character, is trying to solve. What in our brains shows us that we are in love? She is trying to find out what characteristics in her love life answer this question. What she doesn’t know is that Kian, her best friend and roommate is the way to answer her sizzle paradox questions.

I received an arc from netgalley for my honest opinion
Loved this! Excellent character chemistry. I am always a sucker for the roommate/best friends to perfect couple trope.
Tbh I don’t think I would recommend this friends to lovers book. It started off strong and ended pretty good but getting from point A to point B was a little choppy. Kian and Lyric make a cute couple but the way their story was written was just mediocre.
I’m giving this one a 3/5 stars
This book comes out June 14, 2022
Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the arc!

2.5 stars.

Not going to lie, this book definitely had its moments but overall it just didn't work for me.

The Sizzle Paradox is about a grad student named Lyric and she is trying to crack "the sizzle paradox" which is the key to a long-lasting and loving relationship. She's best friends with Kian, who offers to help her discover said sizzle paradox. Slowly, they begin to realize their feelings for one another and they fall in love, it's the classic best friends to lovers trope.

I liked how it was dual pov (that's always a win) and there were moments where I was smiling at my screen since there were a couple of cute moments throughout the book. However, my biggest issue is that I didn't feel the "sizzle" between Lyric and Kian. I typically like slow burns because of how rewarding the end result is but the chemistry simply wasn't there in my opinion. Kian and Lyric could have stayed platonic best friends and I wouldn't have batted an eye. I ended up skimming through the last 10% or so because I was pretty bored. I would've liked to see more romantic development between Lyric and Kian because them as best friends was great, but them as romantic partners...eh not so much.

I think that people who are looking for a very lighthearted rom-com with a happy ending might enjoy this but I wouldn't go into this with high expectations.

ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Release Date: June 14, 2022
Thank you to @netgalley and @stmartinspress for this eARC in exchange of my honest review.

Lyric and Kian have been best friends and roommates for years. Both are struggling grad students at Columbia and neither has had any luck in committed relationships. Kian has no issues when it comes to romance and sizzle, it’s that he’s had no interest in committing, but lately he’s felt like he’s getting bored. Lyric, on the other hand, is studying sexual chemistry and what makes relationships successful, but can’t seem to figure it out in her own dating life. When Kian offers to tutor Lyric on dating in exchange for her helping him find someone different to mix up his romantic life, their relationship will never be the same.

This is your typical friends-to-lovers trope. I found it cute, although pretty predictable. The characters are quirky and lovable, but I just wish there had been a little more depth to the story.

This one gets 3.5 (rounded to 4) ⭐️’s from me!
I really enjoyed this book!! It absolutely flew by, and I was just dying to finish it. I really loved hearing from both Lyric and Kian’s POV. I definitely could feel their closeness as friends through the story, and while there was a lot of miscommunication in the plot, I honestly really liked it being used here! Kian and Lyric both being so afraid to be vulnerable felt really genuine because it was clear how high the stakes were for both of them.  The only thing that really would take me out of the plot was when they would talk about their research, but I think that was just my own outside biases. Otherwise, the story flowed naturally, and I definitely recommend it as the perfect quick, easy, lighthearted one night read.

Separately — I absolutely loved ALL of the side couples in this book. ESPECIALLY Opal and Arthur! Like they were a highlight — I would love a separate novella or epilogue about them.
Lyric and Kian are friends and roommates. Lyric needs some help when it comes to her dissertation and thesis question. Kian who seems to be a pro at dating steps up to the plate. I love the tutor trope and this one did not disappoint! There were some dry parts of the plot that seemed to drag but i get why they were important to discuss.
This was a sweet friends-to-lovers read to end the year. I loved the STEM representation, and as someone who studied Psychology, I found the research question interesting. It was a slow built to the romance, but I liked the way the author really highlighted the friendship and the characters' concerns about starting a romance.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book!
The Sizzle Paradox is perfect for fans of The Kiss Quotient and The Love a hypothesis as it follows two best friends (who are also Columbia Grad students) on their journey to find the “perfect” type of love.

Lyric Bishop is studying sexual chemistry and has come up with "The Sizzle Paradox" to measure both physical and emotional attraction. However, with her love life failing, she finds herself stuck in a rut with her thesis and research. Kian Montgomery is Lyrics best friend and roommate who is on the verge of graduation and is in desperate need of a change in his love life. So when Kian offers to help Lyric get out of her rut and take her on a set of fake dates, Lyric is certain this will spark some motivation, and in exchange, she will set him up with someone different to give his love life a much needed shake up. But as they begin fake dating, they both realize the person they’ve been looking for might be right in front of them. As feelings get challenged and friendships are tested, Kian and Lyric embark on a journey to discover what it really takes to crack The Sizzle Paradox and find true love.

I really enjoyed this easy and light "friends to lovers" rom com. I loved the dual POV and the obvious sexual tension between the two characters. The story did drag on a bit with some unnecessary miscommunication. However, it was still a very enjoyable read.

Thank you Netgalley and St.Martin's Press for the ARC in exchange for a honest review.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC for an exchange for an honest review.

Good book to read, enjoyable.
🥔 Lyric calls herself a self-proclaimed awkward potato and I can totally relate. This book had me giggling throughout and definitely crossing my legs at times (iykyk).

❤️‍🔥I love Sandhya Menon's writing, and though her debut as Lily Menon wasn't my favourite (still enjoyed it!), I thoroughly enjoyed The Sizzle Paradox.  That being said, I have to admit it didn’t feel as POC and diverse as some of her other tales. Nonetheless, it was still an absolutely delightful read.

📖I started reading it on January 1st because I thought it releases January 22nd and figured it would be a good way to start my year, but it actually releases June 2022! So y'all have to wait a little longer but I can't wait for y'all to read it.

🎯I love that the tale starts off in Target. It's one of my comfort places and that immediately made this book feel cozy. As a Canadian Target lover, I've definitely been missing Target runs during this pandemic. My last Target trip included a tub(or two) of Toll House Cookie Dough, a pack (or ten) of Pretzel M&Ms, and a bunch of skirts (they had pockets, I had to!). What did you last buy from Target?

🥳Thank you St. Martin's Griffin and Netgalley for this eARC in exchange for my thoughts.
This was such a cute, easy read. I immediately loved the premise of two best friends/roommates, living the mid 20s NYC life, with an important plot point: they are both graduate students pursuing PhDs! Dating seems to come easily to handsome Kian, who has no desires for a serious relationship after growing up around his philandering father and seeing the effects that had on him and his mother. Lyric, however, cannot seem to find her perfect match, sizing all the men she dates up with her "Sizzle Paradox," a metric she has developed in her studies of human sexual chemistry in her graduate program.

Of course, we the readers can tell from the start that there is definite tension between these two friends who laugh at anyone that suggests THEY should be together, because that could ruin a perfectly good thing. With Lyric's PhD at risk, she knows she has to crack the Sizzle Paradox and get better at dating, and Kian offers to "coach" her. We all know where this is going, but man is it fun getting there.

This book really shines in the characters. They are likable, funny, frustrating at times, and the growth between the main characters is fun to watch. Lyric's big, eccentric family are also a joy to read about. The passion the Lyric and Kian have for their academic studies, their families, and each other, make for a unique take on a romantic comedy set in the world of academia, and I cannot wait to read more from this author.
Steamy, infuriatingly stupid MCs, best friends to lovers. Very swoony. 100000/10 recommend.

Be warned, you will spend half the book cursing Lyric and Kian for how stupefingly blind they are.
Sizzle is the word here!
Lyric and Kian have been roommates since their freshman year in undergrad. Now, seven years later they are months away from doctorates and still the best of friends and still single.
Kian is close to his dream job in the forestry, while Lyric is trying to crack the Sizzle Paradox and figure out exactly how two people measure their attraction for one another.
When Kian offers to help Lyric with dating advice, Lyric gets a bit of a sizzle….but is it just one way?
I enjoyed this book. The characters were well thought out and the plot moved at a great pace. I would enjoy reading more from this author in the future.
The Sizzle Paradox was an entertaining friends-to-lovers romance with some fake dating thrown in as well! I read Lily Menon's previous novel Make Up Break Up and I really like that she is incorporating female characters in STEM fields in her books and having their careers/research be central to the plot. There is a lot of miscommunication between Kian and Lyric once the lines of their friendship start to blur more. This was extremely frustrating at times, especially since as friends Kian and Lyric were so in tune with each other - their trust and history with each other seemed to disappear a bit. The ending wrapped up too quickly for me as well. As a fan of her adult and YA novels in general - I am looking forward to her next book. Thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the chance to read this novel.