Cover Image: We Made It All Up

We Made It All Up

#WeMadeItAllUp #NetGalley
The book is really crafty and twisty on the plot. Some of the characters are just....unbalanced individuals. I would have to say it defiantly is a book to talk about. Young adults will eat it up.
before i start my review i just wanted to thank netgalley (@netgalley) and the publisher (@littlebrownyoungreaders) for providing me with an arc in exchange for an honest review

while reading i thought i knew who the killer was, i had everything figured out, but the author margot f. harrison (@margotfharrison) blindsided me multiple times lol. there were plot twists everywhere you turned.

although i liked the book, i did feel creeped out that the main character celeste, and her friend, vivvy wrote gay romance stories about their classmates, joss, and seth, which blurred the lines between reality and fiction for both celeste and vivvy. it gave off weird and creepy vibes

i recommend reading this, you won't be able to put down the book. we made it all up will be published on july 12, 2022, so make sure to preorder it 😉🔥

This book starts off with the murder of a teen boy, then bounces between 'then' and 'now' to bring the plot full circle. I think it was a good writing choice and helped immediately bring the reader in, while giving pieces of information until the mystery comes together. Celeste is an interesting main character, she's the new girl in a small town where everyone knows each other and is navigating the aftermath of sexual assault at the same time. Celeste uses fan-fiction as a way of coping with her trauma and these darker and realistic elements gave the book the bump it needed to stand out.

The story only shows Celeste's side, so as she's starting to hear people talk about her and think she played a role in Joss's death, we as the reader aren't sure if we can trust her. That feeling of uncertainty makes the plot more exciting and I was rooting for Celeste to put everything together about what happened that night. I think the author did a good job making me question everyone and while the reveal wasn't totally shocking, it wasn't exactly what I thought either.

This is fast paced and effortless to fall into. There are some darker elements, the SA isn't explicit but check content warnings if you think there may be an issue for you.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book. All opinions are my own. Thank you to Little, Brown and NetGalley for the copy
Celeste is the new drama student at a high school centered around golden boy, Joss.
So everyone is shocked when it's announced he's dead, especially Celeste since she was with him the night before.

Thank you Little, Brown Books and NetGalley for the wonderful digital review copy.
I think this book was really interesting, with a premise that makes the genre feel fresh.
Often times, mysteries  and thrillers feel over done.
This book is so weird, but in a good way.
I mean we have secrets, dark parts and fan fiction. The fan fiction was both embarrassing, but so relatable — i mean i’m sure we’ve all had some history with fan fiction at some point.
when I first started reading it, I thought it was going to be a very cheesy young adult thriller, but it actually turned out to be very deep and complex.
margot harrison really developed this story and knew where her story was going and how her story was going to end.
the characters were all so different, but perfectly depicted teenagers. they were all so suspicious but it made that much more creepier
the plot twist were perfectly set up and the ending was tragic.
overall, it was a good YA thriller !
Wow. Finished reading 2 days ago and I'm still in the world of the book. Not only have I found my FIRST 5 star read of 2022, I have also found a new author to change to my list of favorites! This was a fun, fast, and exciting read, I finished the book in 2 sittings. I was enjoying the book so much I didn't want it to end. The characters? Realistic and relatable. The situation? Interesting and different. The writing style of the author was smooth, easy to read, and I found myself submerging myself into this world and not wanting to leave. If you find yourself wanting a book to enjoy, please take a risk and try this book!!

#WEMADEITALLUP #NETGALLEYREVIEW #5STARREAD
I had to DNF this at 30%. No shade to the author, this book just wasn’t for me. I couldn’t connect with the plot or the characters in any way. I’m giving it the average rating on NetGalley in fairness.
This was a B I Z A R R E read. There wasn't really a deep connection with any of the characters. I found that I disliked most of them. With that said, this story had a lot of twists and turns. Usually I'm not this surprised at turn of events!
I don't know if I liked this book or not.

I know thats weird but some chapters were engrossing and others gave me the feeling that the events were too much over the top and it made reading this book difficult.  I cannot count how many times I rolled my eyes.

Barely hung in there.
This was SO. MUCH. FUN.

I guess I should clarify, because don't get me wrong, this book contains many things that are decidedly *not* fun. There are content warnings for abuse, stalking, and self harm, amongst other things. Like many thrillers, WE MADE IT ALL UP gets dark and uncomfortable and morally ambiguous.

But I enjoyed every simmering second.

Margot Harrison's novel follows Celeste, a Montreal transplant in a small Montana town, who writes fanfiction of two classmates along with her best friend, Vivvy. But when one of those classmates ends up dead -- and Celeste ends up with a black hole in her memory -- suspicion descends on the town and dark secrets begin to unearth themselves.

I've found that many thrillers end up being "okay" IMO, each one feeling too similar to the last. But WE MADE IT ALL UP is absolutely electric, mostly thanks to Harrison's incredibly sharp, evocative writing. Short chapters and an alternating timeline left me BREATHLESS, and I found I couldn't read fast enough. The twists kept me guessing, the ending was *chef's kiss*, and despite the awkwardness of ... y'know, writing fanfic about your classmates, Celeste's complexity made her a standout protagonist.

Verdict: If you're a fan of YA thrillers, this is an absolutely must-read. I'll be thinking about caves, bonfires, and the visceral claustrophobia of this book for a long time.
I really wanted to like this book. The writing was good, but I felt confused by what was happening throughout the book. I wasn’t sure if I missed something half of the time. Everything was too mysterious without enough context for my liking.
So I was honestly thrilled when I seen I was approved for this title.
The Synopsis instantly had me intrigued and needed to read more!

We Made It All Up was so good!! I couldn’t get enough of this mystery. I really liked Celeste and Vivvy's characters, and I was completely hooked on the story, which had lots of twists and turns.
The mystery elements were great. And had me flipping the pages quickly to see how this all played out. I thought the mystery developed at a good pace also.
Filled with complex twists and turns as you learn more and more about the secrets in this town.
Harrison's writing was very well done. I never lost interest in the story which honestly had me up past 12am finishing the book.
I really enjoyed this YA/mystery/fantasy novel and look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

Little, Brown Books for Young Readers,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!
I will post my review to my platforms, blog, B&N and Waterstone closer to pub date.
We Made It All Up by Margot Harrison is a YA  mystery thriller centered around new girl in town Celeste and the sudden death of the most popular guy in school. After moving to Montana due to her parent's divorce and trauma in her past, Celeste makes friends with Vivvy, a member of the family that founded the small town and an outcast among their fellow students. After an emotionally charged scene in an English class, Vivvy and Celeste start writing a fan fiction romance starring the school drug dealer Seth and popular athlete Joss. But as their story is written, Celeste also develops relationships with her subjects, leading to the night when Joss mysteriously dies, with Celeste being the last person to see him and her memories of the night blacked out. Trying to solve the secret of Joss's death will unveil secrets about that night, her friends, and the history of the town.

I really enjoyed the pacing and plot of this book. Told in a "now" and "then" format, I liked the way the two timelines flowed together to provide backstory while moving along the investigation into Joss's death and Celeste's struggle to remember what her role might have been. There are many heavy themes in the book (sexual abuse, stalking, self harm) and even the romantic fan fiction that Vivvy and Celeste write can be uncomfortable, but Harrison writes these scenes in a way that adds to the overall feel of the book and makes it feel true to the character experience. I do wish there had been resolution or examination of Celeste's past trauma, that part felt a little disjointed from the rest of the story.

Thank you to Netgalley and Little, Brown and Company for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review. If you are a fan of YA thrillers and small town mysteries, I recommend picking up We Made It All Up when it's published in July 2022.
***/5

I quite enjoyed this book. More so than I thought. Normally I am not into YA titles but lately I have been on a kick. And this one was nice. When this comes out I will deff buy it to put with my collection. I am very grateful for the advanced readers copy of this book. And glad I got to enjoy it.
We Made It All Up by Margot Harrison was a phenomenal read. The way the plot is structured was a great choice. I believe this book can be enjoyed by both teenagers and adults. I highly recommend that on July 12th 2022 people go out and purchase this book. Thank you to NetGalley and Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for this advanced copy.
I wasn't sure how to feel when reading this book. The two main girls were writing a story about their classmates and it gave off really weird vibes. I really like that the story alternated from past to present and did it well. I didn't know who to trust in the book and kept me engaged.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me a chance to read this.
This novel covered so many things and the mystery kept me invested from beginning until end. Celeste is running from her past in Montreal and wants to lay low in Montana, but Vivvy selects her to be her friend and introduces her to her eccentric world. After an altercation in English class between stoner Seth and jock Joss, Vivvy and Celeste begin writing stories about them. The stories they created were uncomfortable to read about, especially when Vivvy wanted to make what they had written happen in real life. As Celeste unraveled the mystery, I actually was going back and forth between who the bad guy was since both characters were highly shady. I definitely recommend this book since it struck me on a personal level.
Imagine you're in high school and you and your bestie are writing a fanfic about 2 boys in school. BUT THEN. . .one of them DIES. Yep. and you were the last one to be with him except you got so drunk, you blacked out. All you have is a hazy memory of a shared kiss, his shirt he offered when you were cold, and he's dead. The rest of the night is lost in bottle of brown spirits.

Celeste is the new girl in town full of secrets and suddenly she's in the middle of a murder investigation. She and her best friend Vivvy share an even darker secret of writing a sexy fanfic but then Vivvy tries to play puppeteer with the 2 boy's lives, Celeste is starting to regret their storytelling.

Now, I don't know about the whole fanfic thing. I personally found it odd but in the case of this story it worked. If you're really into fanfic, this book will press all the buttons for you. The premise kept me hooked, even if I didn't relate to the MC. I was curious however, of how the murder took place especially after she discovers some truly horrifying evidence against the other kids in school.

Overall I was pleased with the story and enjoyed the telling of going back into the past one chapter at a time then back into the present in the following chapter. It left for great cliffhangers and kept me turning the page.
I had such a fun time with this book, in spite of its often times dark subject matter… or maybe sometimes BECAUSE of it. This story had so. much. going on and I loved how it was written and broken up into past and present day chapters. The characters were intriguing and familiar. The story kept me guessing and hooked at every turn. I really, really enjoyed it.

I did not give it 5 stars because I would’ve liked a little more of backstory on certain things and at the end, the relationship between Vivvy and Celeste was very blurry to me. Then again, that may be exactly what Margot wanted us to feel about it.

There are mentions of some potentially triggering things and some violence but overall, it wasn’t too heavy for me. I recommend checking the CW/TW before reading though just to be safe.
I read the whole book in one sitting!

Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis:

Celeste is the talk of the town when she moves to Montana from Montreal, but the only friend she makes is Vivvy, the heir to the town’s founder and a social pariah. Inspired by a passion-fueled school incident, they begin writing a love-story fanfic between the popular guy and the school stoner, one that gradually reveals Celeste’s past. While her bond with Vivvy makes Celeste feel safe and alive again, Vivvy keeps prodding Celeste to turn fantasy into reality. When they finally try, one drunken night on a dark mountainside, Celeste is the one who ends up kissing golden boy Joss. And Joss ends up dead.

Celeste doesn’t remember the end of that night and can’t be sure she didn’t deliver the killing blow. Could she still be that scared of getting close to a boy? Secrets are hard to keep in a small town, and even Vivvy seems to suspect her. Exploring the winding passages of the cave where Joss died, Celeste learns he had his own dark secrets, as does Vivvy. The town isn’t as innocent as it appears.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me an eARC!!