Cover Image: Nura and the Immortal Palace

Nura and the Immortal Palace

💎 Nura does not go to school unlike the other kids. She works in a mine despite her mother's wish because she knows she needs to help her mom provide for their family. As an eldest child myself (in an Asian household at that) I understand her need to work and to have that sense of responsibility to look out for other people. Nura is a very resilient kid. She's a fighter and a survivor which helped her a lot when she was whisked away to the magical world of jinn.

💎 What I love the most about this book is her friendship with Faisal. Kids can be fun and annoying to follow around, but their dynamics is truly adorable. They rely on each other so much, even their daily own safety while working on the mine.

💎 The book heavily centers on child labor and the importance of access to education. Nura and the other kids tire themselves out working on a very dangerous place everyday in exchange for a few coins. Mostly, not because they chose to, but because they feel obliged to help their families. It mirrors the reality that child labor is indeed an alarming problem and it happens everywhere. Some kids don't even have access to a proper school until they're teenagers.
What a fantastic read, and yes I can see the comparisons to Ghibli both in the atmosphere, but also the darker elements that are present. Nura and the Immortal Palace has all the fun elements needed for the target audience, and is a fun book that delves into magic and friendship, and all the things that will appeal to younger readers, while also tackling more serious issues in a way that is accessible and adds layers to the story.
Thanks to NetGalley & Jimmy Patterson for the copy in exchange for an honest review.

Nura is thrown into a magical world of djinn who mischievous creatures of fire. Can she escape with her best friend before they're trapped there forever?

This was a pretty intense fantasy book with deep messages about society. It was all really good though--especially relevant for today.
Aru Shah and the End of Time meets Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away in this mesmerizing portal fantasy that takes readers into the little-known world of Jinn.
Nura longs for the simple pleasure of many things—to wear a beautiful red dupatta or to bite into a sweet gulab. But with her mom hard at work in a run-down sweatshop and three younger siblings to feed, Nura must spend her days earning money by mica mining. But it’s not just the extra rupees in her pocket Nura is after. Local rumor says there’s buried treasure in the mine, and Nura knows that finding it could change the course of her family’s life forever.

Her plan backfires when the mines collapse and four kids, including her best friend, Faisal, are claimed dead. Nura refuses to believe it and shovels her way through the dirt hoping to find him. Instead, she finds herself at the entrance to a strange world of purple skies and pink seas—a portal to the opulent realm of jinn, inhabited by the trickster creatures from her mother’s cautionary tales. Yet they aren’t nearly as treacherous as her mother made them out to be, because Nura is invited to a luxury jinn hotel, where she’s given everything she could ever imagine and more.

But there’s a dark truth lurking beneath all that glitter and gold, and when Nura crosses the owner’s son and is banished to the working quarters, she realizes she isn’t the only human who’s ended up in the hotel’s clutches. Faisal and the other missing children are there, too, and if Nura can’t find a way to help them all escape, they’ll be bound to work for the hotel forever.

Set in a rural industrial town in Pakistan and full of hope, heart, and humor, Nura and the Immortal Palace is inspired by M.T. Khan’s own Pakistani Muslim heritage.

---

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the copy!
One word for this book : GOOD
If you like Aru Shah series, you're going to like this book.
I can't believe it's taken me this long to write a review. Guess I'll blame it on the jinn? Or being so utterly struck by the delight of M. T. Khan's words?

Whatever the case, even months after finishing, I know one thing wholeheartedly: THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLE.

Seriously. It is everything I love in MG: voicey, fun, magical, clever, and buzzing with layers that can be unwound. Maeeda was clearly born to write for this audience. NURA AND THE IMMORTAL PALACE has all the magic of a classic portal fantasy (those Ghibli comparisons are *so* deserved), but it doesn't shy away from the realities of child labor and classism either.
'
The result is a breathless adventure chock-full of witty dialogue, heartwrenching FEELS, and settings you'll never forget, from a jinn hotel to the streets of Pakistan. I am CRAVING whatever Maeeda writes next.
This was a very interesting middle grade fantasy novel. There were some dark themes that made it more suitable for older readers instead of younger readers. The characters are well-developed and the world-building is very original and fantastical. I especially like how it was set in Pakistan. It gives readers a glimpse of its culture. I recommend this for fans of The Girl who Fell Beneath the Sea, The Lady or the Lion, and The Tiger at Midnight!
Absolutely loved every minute of this book. I couldn’t get enough. 10/10 stars across the board.
I enjoyed the way the storyline grabbed me from the state. Highly recommend this read.
This was so magical! It definitely had the Studio Ghibli vibes the author describes it and it felt like I was reading a Studio Ghibli movie. It shows the harshness of the job that the main character has to take on while also showcasing the beauty of friendship and the magic! The world was amazing and so beautifully written - I cannot wait for what the author writes next and what she has next in store!
M.T. Khan has believably created an entertaining story with dark themes (a life of grinding poverty, grief, single parent family, child labour, exploitative and dangerous work practices) and a fantastical setting.

Nura is determined to make enough money to take some of the burden off her mother, and to help her mother and younger sisters get out of their deep poverty. Nura works in a mica mine along with other children, including her best friend Faisal, in her rural village in Pakistan. The conditions are dangerous (Nura’s father died in a cave-in) and though children should not be working, much less in these terrible conditions, Nura knows her mother’s gruelling work in a sweatshop isn’t lucrative enough, so she became a miner.

Nura is determined to dig deeper and further than anyone else does in search of the biggest piece of mica, but ends up causing another cave-in, trapping five other kids, including Faisal. The contractors in charge of the mine make minimal efforts to recover the kids, which convinces Nura to find them herself.

What she finds instead is a way into a realm of djinn, and a fabulous hotel where the food is plenty, and everything is beautiful and everyone is wealthy. Nura is taken in by the glitz, and all the food, and participates in various contests the djinn hold, in the hope of securing a fabulous prize. Unfortunately, she forgets one should be very careful making bargains or entering contests with djinn, and she swiftly finds out that she is trapped, and discovers that the kids she was looking for are also trapped with her. To make things worse, they have three days to escape, or they’ll be trapped in the djinn realm forever. She and Faisal work hard to figure their way out through the portal that brought them there.

This was much darker than I expected, but I really appreciated how the author showed us how our comfortable lives in the West are supported by often exploitative practices elsewhere.

As well, I really liked how Nura had to confront parts of herself, such as how her stubborn actions have sometimes hurt people around her.

At the same time, this was a fun adventure story with a great friendship at its heart, and two terrific kids who have to deal with sneaky, false bargains and outwit the djinn holding them prisoner.

Thank you to Netgalley and to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for this ARC in exchange for my review.
A thrilling, fast paced MG adventure fantasy with excellent Muslim representation. This story tackles a challenging topic of child labor folded within an exciting story with loveable characters and vivid world building. At times creepy, at times sweet this is the perfect Middle Grade to put in the hands of fans of Aru Shah.

12 year old daughter absolutely adored it.
Nura and the Immortal Palace is a beautiful and vividly written book with some of the best and most descriptive world building I have encountered in a while.
While this is a fun and magical story, Khan was able to incorporate important issues like child labour (Nura works to help support her family) without it becoming over bearing or off putting for the young reader.
I loved Nura and her love of her family and her best friend, Faisal. I loved the imagery and all the magical elements that were included.
Overall I enjoyed the book and was excited to share with y’all! The cover is gorgeous and the story inside is entertaining! Pick it up today!!
I love middle grade novels that highlight aspects of the real world by shedding light on how young people are forced to live through the harshness we find in reality. Khan excels at this in Nura and the Immortal Palace, as Nura shines as a protagonist who has the longing for more than life at the greatest margins in her society land her and her family who also understands that these longings are unlikely to ever be reconciled. So it makes sense when she jumps at the opportunity to change this, even at the deadly detriment this will mean for those that she cares for.

This is a good story that would feel more gusto if the antagonists were less cartoonish and the storytelling was more subtle in sharing its morality.
a fun and fast paced middle grade novel! a great introduction to this author, i cant wait to read more by Khan in the future. I have seen this book everywhere and that's why i was so happy to get an arc of it!
as a bengali woman who is extremely close to her culture, 'nura and the immortal palace' was everything i wanted, if not more. nura herself is a passionate, hard-headed character who loves fiercely and has a temper that works in her favor. she's balanced out by faisal, her best friend.

the 'spirited away' vibes that i got while reading this, with our amazing characters falling headfirst into the realm of jinn was absolutely magical. this was a super quick read and an amazing addition to the middle-grade bookshelves, bringing culture and diversity and learning experiences to so many children.
Nura’s tale is the tale of millions of child laborers around the world. Greedy corporations illegally employ these children for cheap labor used in the manufacture of certain goods.

Nura works in the mica mines with many other children and labors to earn meager funds for her large family, including 3 siblings and her widowed mother.

Her mother wishes for her to cease working in the mines and pursue an education but Nura doesn’t share her mother’s vision and would rather be a help than a perceived hindrance.

When she decides to go after the infamous Devils Tongue, things don’t go as planned and Nura and her friend Faisal end up in the fabled land of the jinn.

In a very Spirited Away like fashion, this story follows Nura and Faisal as they work together to outwit the powers that be at the Sijj Palace.

They must use their wit, strength, and love for one another to conquer the trials that await them, if they ever hope to be free again.

Shedding light on complex issues involving poverty cycles and child labor, Nura and the Immortal Palace is not just a wonderful middle-grade book - it’s a commentary on things that happen right under our very noses, that most of us are unaware of.

This tender tale of family and friendship will have you on the edge of your seat.

The world-building is solid, the characters are balanced and so very human. All in all, a strong middle-grade read!
I’ve been very excited for this MG since the author announced it and actually received an ARC, but have been in a major reading slump for the past few months so I didn’t read it pre-release. (Still, thank you to the publisher and NetGalley and my review is still honest!)

I’ve been trying to get out of that slump this week and decided to pick up my finished copy of Nura… I ended up binging it in less than 24 hours!

This fun and meaningful MG fantasy follows child laborer Nura and her best friend Faisal, who are mica miners in a small Pakistani town. In an effort to help her impoverished family, Nura digs a little too deep in the mine and causes it to collapse, which results in several children, including Faisal, going missing. When Nura goes looking for him, she discovers a portal to the jinn realm (and yes, I did keep saying “astagfirullah” in my head while reading lol), a place at once beautiful and fantastical and filled with deception. Getting Faisal back will require some trickery of Nura’s own.

I loved so much about this book but will list just a few things that especially stood out:

✨ the characters and setting leap off the page
✨ it delves into a topic more serious than you’d expect in most middle grades, the plight of child laborers in places like Pakistan (and Bangladesh, where my family is from) who are forced to work and deprived of tools like an education
✨ Pakistani culture and Nura’s Muslim faith are intertwined fluidly with the plot (the moment where Nura recites the Throne Verse had me emotional)

I would highly recommend reading Nura if you or your child are fans of MG fantasy!
This book was adventurous, promoting a good message. It was also my first middle-grade SFF book which was magical and scientific at the same time. I would recommend it to readers of any age.
Nura is the exact kind of character who I would have felt so SEEN by as a Muslim, desi elementary school kid. I'm in my twenties now and I STILL feel so seen by this book. Such a beautiful and gripping story about faith and relentless tenacity, mixed with a very well-done commentary on child labor exploitation. So eager to read more of Khan's future works!
Comparing a book to a Studio Ghibli movie will always, always put that book on top of my to-read list. And the comparison of Nura and the Immortal Palace to Spirited Away had me so excited to get my hands on it. Reader, this book did not disappoint.

My favorite things about this book:
➛ Nura is exactly the kind of fiercely protective eldest sister main character that I adore soooo much
➛ The emphasis on the cycle of exploitation and how the wealthy pit the powerless against each other so they won't realize the effectivity of banding together and rising up against their oppressors
➛ The underlying message of the importance of education
➛ The absolutely magical descriptions of the hotel...
➛ ...before the facade is peeled back and you see the darkness that lies beneath.

I'm glad I decided to make this one of my API Heritage Month 2022 reads. Can't wait for this to come out so I can get myself a finished copy!
A fantastic middle grade with vibrant jinn and full of heart. I loved Nura and her friendship with Faisal, along with their determination to free themselves from the hotel. Gave me big Spirited Away vibes. It brought me back to childhood nostalgia, about the allure of getting everything you want, but at a price. I love the creativity of the Sijj Palace, and how the humans and jinn learned to work together in the end to save themselves. What made the book more endearing to me is the way the author utilized a concept familiar in Miyazaki's films, the idea that there is no true villain, just people/jinn that make Choices, and how there is always room for forgiveness and redemption for all characters (even the "villains!").