Cover Image: Subdivision

Subdivision

A wild ride! Kind of feels like a cross between a fever dream and a parable. I really enjoyed some of the imagery, and found myself always wanting more.
This audiobook was sent to me for free via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Content notes for this book include violence against people and animals.

Subdivision is a surreal story about a woman who moves to a mysterious town to start her new life, but is confronted with various supernatural and/or strange people and events. This novel will make you ask more questions instead of answering existing ones as you progress through it, which can be a good or bad thing.

I enjoyed the surreal world created in this story, but a lot of the protagonist's choices do not make sense even with the surrealism taken into account. The novel needed perhaps a bit more focus. I understand that not all books need a fast-moving plot, but this one could have benefited from the plot not being incredibly slow. Nevertheless, I still listened to the entire novel because the characters were quite interesting, and the prose is great!

Audio-wise, Nicole Poole is an amazing narrator. I especially enjoyed when she did the voice of Sylvia. Poole brought this novel to life in a whole new way with her skills.
Format: audiobook.
Author: J. Robert Lennon ~ Title: Subdivision ~ Narrator: Nicole Poole
Content: 4.5 stars ~ Narration: 5 stars

This novel took me on a very unusual journey. It is a surreal literary fiction, so maybe you can imagine. Subdivision is an interesting story about an unnamed woman who can’t remember her past. She arrives in a place called Subdivision, where she stays at the guest house owned by two elderly ladies: Clara and the Judge. The first thing that they expect of her is that she solves a jigsaw puzzle.

Subdivision is a novel that consists of illogical events and characters. Quite a few events are confusing for the main character. And maybe even more for the reader. In the end, the author leaves a lot to the reader’s perception and interpretation. I want to write a spoiler-free review, so I will not go into more details.

Here we have an excellent story for those looking for something different to read. And, of course, like surreal stories where nothing is as it seems. This was my first novel by J. Robert Lennon, and I will definitely look for his other works.

The narration is perfect for this novel. The narrator’s voice and tone suit the main character.

Thanks to HighBridge Audio for the ARC and the opportunity to listen to this! All opinions are my own.
This book freaked me out. At first, I thought I was going crazy, not actually hearing what was happening in the story. Yet, I wasn't going crazy at all...or was I?
This novel is an absolute fever dream of a story. From the first page, the Subdivision begins to lead the narrator and the reader down false hallways dropping clues and red herrings about what, where, when, how, if things exist in this world. This novel is both completely banana pants and completely compelling. It’s on the Tournament of Bioks 2022 longlist and I’m rooting for it to make the shortlist if only because I want to read a reaction/analysis!